Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
The Prince Incident in 1981 - Any pictures or recording?
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:18

Are there any pictures or recordings that document Prince being booed off stage and pelted with trash by Stones fans in 1981? There is a reference to a tape on this related thread on a Prince fan site.

Re: The Prince Incident in 1981 - Any pictures or recording?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:39

i do not think it was a racial issue at all, journey was booed non stop start to finish at the tour opener in philly 1981 and in between songs steve perry from journey kept thanking the crowd for making journey's album #1 on the charts .go figure.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:52

I think his funny wardrobe just didn't convene with the viril Stones crowd . .

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: August 13, 2010 19:55

Journey was booed in Buffalo '81 as well...followed by Thorogood who was cheered wildly...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 13, 2010 20:40

palerider22
Journey was booed in Buffalo '81 as well...followed by Thorogood who was cheered wildly...
exactly, same in philly for george thorogood who was adored by the masses .

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 13, 2010 20:47

I heard that Keith started wearing a Rolex for awhile that he won in a bet with Eric Clapton having to do with Prince.....anyone know the details of this.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 13, 2010 21:02

palerider22
true, only thorogood opened the show in the pouring rain, journey was 2nd.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 13, 2010 21:14

The Greek
i do not think it was a racial issue at all, journey was booed non stop start to finish at the tour opener in philly 1981 and in between songs steve perry from journey kept thanking the crowd for making journey's album #1 on the charts .go figure.

It wasn't racial. Prince turned up to play a show to boozed up, red blooded Stones fans in the sheerest bikini briefs and make-up ... What worked on a Rick James tour wasn't going to work there.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 13, 2010 21:23

Nikolai
The Greek

It wasn't racial. Prince turned up to play a show to boozed up, red blooded Stones fans in the sheerest bikini briefs and make-up ... What worked on a Rick James tour wasn't going to work there.
i asnt there, but i agree it wasnt racial. if i emember right, iggy opened in pontiac 81 and got booed for wearing some kind of a dress... santana was 2nd and was received much more favorably.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: August 13, 2010 21:29

MKjan
I heard that Keith started wearing a Rolex for awhile that he won in a bet with Eric Clapton having to do with Prince.....anyone know the details of this.

I think that came from a RS interview with Clapton (probably 92/93 ish). He said that he and Keith were debating whether Prince was important musically. Keith believed he was not and went on to prove it to him, so he gave him the watch. Something along those lines.

Date: August 13, 2010 21:31

CindyC
MKjan

I think that came from a RS interview with Clapton (probably 92/93 ish). He said that he and Keith were debating whether Prince was important musically. Keith believed he was not and went on to prove it to him, so he gave him the watch. Something along those lines.

Thanks CindyC

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2010 21:34

CindyC
MKjan

Keith referred to it in an interview with Q magazine around the time 'Talk is Cheap', I think. He didnt mention any specific details about what the bet was about. The same interview where he ludicrously referred to Prince as a 'talentless midget'. eye rolling smiley

Date: August 13, 2010 21:40

Gazza
CindyC
MKjan

Keith referred to it in an interview with Q magazine around the time 'Talk is Cheap', I think. He didnt mention any specific details about what the bet was about. The same interview where he ludicrously referred to Prince as a 'talentless midget'. eye rolling smiley

Thanks Gazza, I do enjoy the fact that Keith mouths off, whether a popular opinion or not, I get tired of all the civil posing about how they all get along so much when they don't. Will be interesting to see if he revisits these things in the book.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 13, 2010 22:18

Nikolai

It wasn't racial. Prince turned up to play a show to boozed up, red blooded Stones fans in the sheerest bikini briefs and make-up.

Lord knows those "red-blooded" Stones fans didn't pay to see any men on stage wearing make-up.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 13, 2010 22:53

MKjan
Gazza
CindyC
MKjan

Thanks Gazza, I do enjoy the fact that Keith mouths off, whether a popular opinion or not, I get tired of all the civil posing about how they all get along so much when they don't. Will be interesting to see if he revisits these things in the book.

Its a great one-liner to be fair, but considering the fact that that Prince plays about 20 instruments,was putting out a great record about every 9 months at the time and was fronting a live show that was breathtakingly brilliant, it just made Keith sound like a bitter old git. cool smiley

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: August 13, 2010 23:27

I was very close to the front of the stage at the Los Angeles concert during the infamous Prince incident. In those days, people would stay up all night long in the parking lot, getting totally wasted on booze or pills or whatever, just to get a good spot up front. The bottle throwers were all very drunk and the worst kind of gutter rat people. They were filthy, gross, and discusting. So it's no wonder they reacted to Prince they way they did. Funny how a Stones concert can bring out the dregs of society, way back when.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-13 23:30 by 3DTeafoe.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 14, 2010 01:24

Audience recording of the concert including Prince's set is here:

[www.megaupload.com]
[www.megaupload.com]

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: August 14, 2010 01:41

loog droog
Nikolai

It wasn't racial. Prince turned up to play a show to boozed up, red blooded Stones fans in the sheerest bikini briefs and make-up.

Lord knows those "red-blooded" Stones fans didn't pay to see any men on stage wearing make-up.

I know right? Why ever would they do that???

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 01:45 by stateofshock.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 14, 2010 08:20

stateofshock
loog droog
Nikolai

Fair point, but it's all relative.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 14, 2010 10:14

You bet it's all relative: Mick probably got all that pancake makeup from his mum!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 14, 2010 10:51

Nikolai
stateofshock
loog droog
Nikolai

How so, Nickolai?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 14, 2010 13:15

Wendy Melvoin once revealed that Prince was so mortified that he left the stage but he also left L.A., taking the 1st flight to Minneapolis. LOl!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 14, 2010 17:05

Ha, Ha & Hee-Haw that's hilarious! What a sight to have seen people actually throwing stuff at him. He had a very tight band at the time (always has) too with Sheila E on drums. Some may not like the music but they were very talented.

Let's be real, NOBODY comes to a Rolling Stones concert to see the opening act. Prince was very popular even in 1981 unfortunately, he was not very popular with the fans that night.

I guess he's had the last laugh though. Selling out the O2 for a dozen or so consecutive nights and selling nearly 100 million records seems like a proper vindication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-14 17:11 by CBII.

Date: August 14, 2010 17:27

100% OT but talking about "a proper vindication" would you mind telling us why your Dad was so harsh on the "Hail Hail Rock'n Roll" film making crew?

The bonuses on the 4-disc DVD edition are hair-raising... Taylor Hackford was a loyal and respecful (and talented) man so I don't understand...

Date: August 16, 2010 01:16

swiss
Nikolai
stateofshock
loog droog
Nikolai

That's his bullshit way of saying "It's different when Mick does it" ...moody smiley

How so, Nickolai?

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Date: August 16, 2010 01:16

stateofshock
swiss
Nikolai
stateofshock
loog droog
Nikolai

How so, Nickolai?

That's his bullshit way of saying "It's different when Mick does it" moody smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-16 01:17 by stateofshock.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 16, 2010 01:24

Nikolai
stateofshock
loog droog
Nikolai

tell mick to take that cucumber out of his pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 16, 2010 03:23

A recording of the crowd booing Prince was used in his song "Hello".

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2010 23:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-16 23:23 by Mathijs.

Date: August 17, 2010 00:40

Yum! grinning smiley

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home