Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Faces first gig - O2 Bubble 11th August 2010
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 12, 2010 12:23

I'm not going to post the setlist, because I can't recall it and I was rather more concentrating on this extraordinary spectacle unfolding in front of me, namely Ronnie some six feet away, driving the band, and on absolutely blistering form. And Ian Maclagan ... divine.

I'm going to leave serious reviews to others that were there, my two cents worth is this: if you KNEW about this gig, have always loved the Faces, and made a conscious effort NOT to attend due to WHATEVER reason, then you should be kicking yourself. The music was sublime, and if you still retain a hangup about "no Rod" and "that bloke from Simply Red", then you "simply" should have been there to see and hear that bloke do THE most extraordinary justice to those delicious songs.

And it IS official, from the mouth of promoter Harvey Goldsmith himself, they WILL be touring in 2011. For 2010 it was yesterdays gig, Goodwood tomorrow the 13th, and a third one in Denmark.

Do NOT miss this band out and about - seriously.

Cheers

Paul

Shit, just noticed the other thread. Sorry ....... !! BV - can you integrate this thread with the other one ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 12:26 by paulywaul.

Re: Faces first gig - O2 Bubble 11th August 2010
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 12, 2010 13:11

I second paulywaul's every word - that was a stupendous and amazing gig from start to finish. Anyone who could have and didn't go should indeed be kicking themselves very very hard... Will try and post some photos later.

Date: August 12, 2010 13:52

Setlist:

Miss Judy's Farm
Had Me A Real Good Time
Too Bad
Ooh La La
I Wish It Would Rain
Maybe I'm Amazed
Flying
Cindy Incidentally
I'm Losing You
I'd Rather Go Blind
Pool Hall Richard
Stay With Me (preceded by impromptu blues jam)

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:04

I must admit I was put off by not having Rod there as it's like seeing the Stones with no Mick or Keith. But I'll take your word pauly. Great set list. Fantastic having Too Bad there as it features some of Ronnies very best playing.

Posted by: BarRoomQueen ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:18

Thanks paulywaul and Beast for the reviews. I am now kicking myself for not going (but WIll be there in 2011)!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:20

I have an extra ticket for sale cheap. For the Denmark gig.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:21

i thought ronnie was busy next year with another project, no???

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:24

Hey Paul, sounds great. Let's hope they manage to tour north of the border (like Ronnie's other band usually manage to do).

Date: August 12, 2010 14:26

I am also kicking myself (which is quite tricky and looks very foolish) and will join you in 2011. Here's hoping the 'special guest' turns up for you tomorrow Pauly/Beast!!
By the way, how was The Bubble as a venue? I have been to the British Music Experience - it is located in there, n'est-ce pas?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:30

Hope the Faces will tour The Netherlands next Year
Jeroen

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:31

Here are some low quality youtube links I found of the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 14:37 by Ket.

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:53

Is this show taped ?

Gr Ray

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:55

Great to know Ronnie is back and in great shape!
It's only Rock'n'RON (but I like it)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2010 14:57

stoneswashed77
i thought ronnie was busy next year with another project, no???
the other project has retired except nobody got the memo from the home office!

Date: August 12, 2010 15:02

to all the ronnie bashers ,ha ha ha from the comments here about how WELL ronnie PLAYED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: August 12, 2010 15:10

First photos are from the question and answer session that preceded the show.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:14

First photos are from the question and answer session that preceded the show.

Pleeeeze beast can you enlighten us with some of the Q's and the answers ... curious....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:16

Graet pictures, great videos, great reviews, thanks a lot. I hope I will catch them somewhere the next year.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:21

Not quite kicking myself because I'm now looking forward even more to Goodwood... Many thanks for all the pics.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:27

I'm still kicking myself for missing Mott The Hoople and now this! Thankfully, they will be touring next year. Sure Rod would just make it that much better however, what I've seen here proves they are worthy of a GREAT show!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:28

Thanks for the clips Ket. Couldn't make it last night, and my shins are raw from self-kicking. Looks like an absolutely stunning gig. Haven't seen or heard Ronnie that energised since Licks 2003. Sobriety suits his playing. And Mick Hucknall - love him or loathe him - the guy has a great voice. He was an inspired choice to fill Rod's massive shoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 15:29 by Nikolai.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:34

Hello,

Wished I could've wedged down from Lancashire for this one,but it was never on the cards-great photos Beast...have you ever seen musicians who enjoyed themselves more on a stage?

Next year,chaps,next year...I hope!

Cheers,

Si.

Date: August 12, 2010 15:37

CBII
I'm still kicking myself for missing Mott The Hoople and now this! Thankfully, they will be touring next year. Sure Rod would just make it that much better however, what I've seen here proves they are worthy of a GREAT show!
i love your fathers song promised land .pure genius lyrics and music !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 15:48

Looks and sounds great - its just not the Faces. If Mr. Wood and company wish to get Ian and Kenny Jones together and perform songs of the Faces - that's one thing - to actually call themselves the Faces - that's just silly. It's hard enough without Ronnie Lane, but without Stewart - its just not the Faces. However, it is great see Ronnie onstage and playing.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: August 12, 2010 16:17

I was hoping that my missus would have surprised me for my birthday. That would have been one hell of a birthday...damn I am definitely going next year.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 12, 2010 16:33

wow! cool smiley
its great to see Ronnie Wood in such good shape! at least from the pics. and Mac and Kenney. I can only hope to see the re-formed Faces, in the US...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 12, 2010 16:55

Beast .... ya done us all proud, GREAT pics. Thanks for posting

Everyone, I know it's boring to read the same thang twice, but really I do urge everybody to go and see this band. Call em' what you like, the Faces, the craggy old Faces, the 3 original but others not so original Faces, the whatever the hell you wanna call 'em Faces ..... just GO SEE 'EM !! They ROCK bigtime. You will NOT be disappointed.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 16:57

Whatever happened to the Japanese bassplayer, Tetsuo...? The one who played after Ronnie Lane.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:14

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

The Faces: British Music Experience, 02 Arena - review
An intriguing chemistry was at play at the Faces’ first public showing since the band reunited. Rating: * * *

By Andrew Perry
Published: 11:29AM BST 12 Aug 2010

Even by the flexible standards of heritage-rock reunions, this latest venture boldly stretches the bounds of acceptability. The Faces, the almost-rans of 1970s stadium rock, who served as a launchpad for both Rod Stewart’s solo career and Ronnie Wood’s promotion into a Rolling Stone, have reconvened, with Stewart replaced by Simply Red’s Mick Hucknall. To summarise the advance word: Rod is a lovable rogue; Hucknall’s charms lie a fair few hundred miles south of his; it can’t possibly work.

To make matters worse, the new Faces’ first public showing took place in vile circumstances – a 400-capacity black hole adjoining an execrable rock-history exhibit, within the shopping-mall nightmare of the Millennium Dome. When the promoter, Harvey Goldsmith, barrelled onstage, pre-performance, to extol the virtues of the evening’s sponsors, American Express, one imagined that the band’s one dead member would be spinning in his grave: Ronnie Lane, their soulful bassist/co-songwriter, who passed away in 1997, was so sickened by mid-’70s rock that he withdrew to live itinerantly in a gipsy caravan.

“You’re a bit quiet, intcha? It’s been 35 years,” quipped Wood, as the six-piece ensemble struck up Miss Judy’s Farm. Against all the odds, one had to concede, it sounded raucous, and pretty fantastic. There was an intriguing chemistry up there: Hucknall, whose self-regard usually knows no ceiling, was visibly reining himself in, forced by circumstance to integrate rather than indulge; Wood, in the shadow of Keith Richards for more than half his lifetime, was here the star of the show – a welcome diversion, no doubt, from his unravelling private life.

Hucknall was impressive on a singalong Ooh La La, and truly excelled on the blues/soul covers which would pepper a vintage Faces set, such as the Temptations’s I Wish It Would Rain and Etta James’s I’d Rather Go Blind. At such moments, Stewart’s summation of the Mancunian as a “great little shouter” seemed like disingenuously faint praise.

Everything rested, though, on the interplay between Wood, finally in pole position, and Ian McLagan, their silver-topped keyboard player, who tinkled stirring boogie-woogie stylings during Cindy Incidentally. Wood’s playing teetered between crunching riffs and, on the expansive prog-rock of Flying, stumbling explorations, fully re-igniting that essential part of the band’s original ramshackle appeal.

The part that was missing – and irreplaceable – was Lane’s. His key songs, such as Debris and Glad and Sorry, were not even attempted. Rollicking climactic renditions of Pool Hall Richard and Stay With Me were triumphant, more than enough to see them through their first outdoor test this weekend in Goodwood.

With or without their original shouter, though, this reunion can only ever be naggingly compromised.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: August 12, 2010 17:30

Hope to get a good quality bootleg of this show.
I'm not too familiar with the faces stuff. But this sounds like a great band to me. Mick Hucknall has the right voice, if you need an substitute for Rod Stewart.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home