Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

How many concerts have The Rolling Stones done?
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 11, 2010 06:58

How many concerts have the stones done since they 1st got together up until now?

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: How many concerts have The Rolling Stones done?
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: August 11, 2010 09:44

At least 1,000 , maybe more.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2010 14:54

They did their 1,000th concert in 1967!

I calculated the 22/8/06 concert at Twickenham to be their 2,000th, which the was then acknowledged by the band's official website and an interview done witha couple of band members reflecting on it. (people can debate the definition of what defines a 'concert' - I excluded Tv performances such as the Ed Sullivan Show, mini-sets such as the Superbowl, video shoots which included a few songs being played live (Waiting On A Friend, Undercover etc).

If you take the 2,000th show as 22/8/06, they played five more concerts in Europe that year, followed by 21 in North America and then 31 in Europe in 2007 (including the Deutsche Bank private gig) - so the 'official' figure would be 2,057.

I didnt claim that it was definitive, though, as some early shows are more difficult to verify. The correct figure is probably within 3 or 4 of that amount, either way, I would think.

Date: August 11, 2010 15:04

To get some perspective on how active the Stones were in the early days, they played 296 concerts in 1963, 322 in 1964 and 241 in 1965 - 859 shows in three years. At a time when they were recording regularly and making frequent TV appearances and radio sessions. (of course, the shows then were a lot shorter than they are now and the travelling distances between shows were for the most part considerably less)

The 'Brian Jones' era makes up around 50% of the total shows theyve ever played, even though they didnt tour for the last two years that he was in the band. Oddly, there are no more than about a dozen recordings of concerts from that era in circulation, only 1 of them from a US show (Brian's final US gig - Honolulu 28/7/66 - and thats a broadcast!). Very strange considering how many Beatles and Dylan shows from the same era there are.

The celebrated 'Mick Taylor era' only consists of a total of around 172 concerts.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: August 11, 2010 18:52

Gazza
To get some perspective on how active the Stones were in the early days, they played 296 concerts in 1963, 322 in 1964 and 241 in 1965 - 859 shows in three years. At a time when they were recording regularly and making frequent TV appearances and radio sessions. (of course, the shows then were a lot shorter than they are now and the travelling distances between shows were for the most part considerably less)

The 'Brian Jones' era makes up around 50% of the total shows theyve ever played, even though they didnt tour for the last two years that he was in the band. Oddly, there are no more than about a dozen recordings of concerts from that era in circulation, only 1 of them from a US show (Brian's final US gig - Honolulu 28/7/66 - and thats a broadcast!). Very strange considering how many Beatles and Dylan shows from the same era there are.

The celebrated 'Mick Taylor era' only consists of a total of around 172 concerts.

Gazza........wow.... .incredible research and so detailed! thanks

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: August 11, 2010 21:40

Great info Gazza. Them doing so many shows in their early days explains how they got so friggin' good. That they only played 172 shows with Taylor is surprising.

Date: August 11, 2010 22:15

Well, back then the Stones spent more time making records than they did touring.

They released an album a year on average and when they toured, it was usually a short-ish tour in only one or at the most two territories.

The 1972 American tour was the only tour leg in all that time which featured more than about 30 shows (it had 51)

1969 - US tour, plus Hyde Park & 4 theatre shows in London - 29 shows
1970 - European tour (continental Europe only) - 21 shows
1971 - British tour - 15 shows
1972 - North American tour - 51 shows
1973 - Los Angeles (Nicaraguan Benefit), Australia/NZ tour, European tours - 56 shows

Incidentally, Bob Dylan's show tonight in Casper, Wyoming will be the 2,250th show if his Never Ending tour, which began on 7th June 1988. Thats an average of 100 shows a year.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 11, 2010 22:20

i spent a week one night in casper. friendly town, but not the ghost town you might think.

Date: August 11, 2010 22:20

StonesTod
i spent a week one night in casper. friendly town, but not the ghost town you might think.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 12, 2010 00:03

well they only done two with dance little sister, so as you can guess, i am NOT very happy about that...i'm not sure how much the others count you know? plus it was rod not taylor. so...they done two. sorta.

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 12, 2010 00:28

Incidentally, Bob Dylan's show tonight in Casper, Wyoming will be the 2,250th show if his Never Ending tour, which began on 7th June 1988. Thats an average of 100 shows a year.[/quote]

That's 22 years on the road for a former recluse. Has he said why he does this? Does he love performing so much, because his shows are often called sub par/ uninspiring. Does he need the money? Can't stay still.... just wondering.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 12, 2010 00:37

Maybe addicted to the Fame?

Date: August 12, 2010 02:00

MKjan

That's 22 years on the road for a former recluse. Has he said why he does this? Does he love performing so much, because his shows are often called sub par/ uninspiring. Does he need the money? Can't stay still.... just wondering.

I personally dont think they're sub-par at all. Not since the nadir of the early 90s. Some people 'get it' and some dont. And I can understand either position, to be honest. I dont think he'd do it if he didnt enjoy it. Bob has more money than God.

I guess its what he feels he's put on this earth to do. He had a sort of 'awakening' in the middle of a concert in Italy in 1987 at a time where he felt his career was very directionless and he was considering retirement, and it was if he developed some kind of artistic enlightenment (for want of a better expression) from that moment on. There's a section in 'Chronicles Vol. 1' where he talks about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-12 02:01 by Gazza.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 12, 2010 02:05

I also recall in the 60 minutes interview with Ed Bradley, Bob speaking about how he had a "deal" with the "guy upstairs" that if he was given the chance to entertain people on a grand scale--he would promise to do it for as long as he was around. So, Bob's just keeping up his end of the bargain.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 12, 2010 06:15

Thanks Nicos, Gazza and Justin. This all makes sense, it's the freewheelin' god fearing Bob Dylan, and I am a fan of a lot of his work. I'll check out the Chronicles Vol 1.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: August 12, 2010 08:52

Chronicles Vol 1 is great, hope he finds time on the road to write Vol 2. I bet he does, since it seems he can't help it. And there'll be tons of lyrics at the same time, enough unreleased stuff to fill numerous Bootleg Series albums long after the Never Ending Tour ends...

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 12, 2010 09:01

Gazza

Thanks Gazza,great information,wasnt it also common in the early days to do two concerts a day?

Date: August 12, 2010 15:19

It was indeed. On a couple of occasions, they even did three, I think.

The Stones actually did two full length shows in a day as late as 1976 - Munster, Germany on 30th April, two shows of about 85-90 minutes each.

It wasnt unusual for them to do matinees and evening shows up to the 1973 European Tour.

They only did two full length shows in a day twice after that. The Munster gigs mentioned above, plus two shows in Baton Rouge on the opening night of the 1975 tour (1st June). Each of THOSE shows clocked in around 130 minutes, so you can imagine why it would have made sense to have put an end to that practice. Five hours on stage on one day - must be a record for the Stones!

They did two shows at the CNIB benefit in Oshawa, Ontario on 22/4/79, but each set was only around 45-50 minutes (both were preceded by New Barbarians sets of a similar length, so Keith, Woody and Mac all had very busy evenings!)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 12, 2010 18:51

mitchflorida
At least 1,000 , maybe more.

Maybe more. HA HA! Wonderful Mitch.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 12, 2010 20:48

The shows in the early 60's lasted for 25 minutes, just a few songs, and according to friends of mine who were lucky to see them that early, it was all screaming, hard to hear the music. Like any startup band, they did not have the catalogue of songs they have developed over time. But it is still quite impressing with all those shows!

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 12, 2010 23:17

Gazza
They did two shows at the CNIB benefit in Oshawa, Ontario on 22/4/79, but each set was only around 45-50 minutes (both were preceded by New Barbarians sets of a similar length, so Keith, Woody and Mac all had very busy evenings!)

so did jagger - when he wasn't on stage, he was very busy drinking....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1666
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home