Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The secret gig that wasn’t a secret. The Rolling Stones play Sir Morgan’s Cove, 1981 Worcester, MA
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 30, 2010 08:43

Very Cool!

[garyrocks.wordpress.com]

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: The secret gig that wasn’t a secret. The Rolling Stones play Sir Morgan’s Cove, 1981 Worcester, MA
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 30, 2010 09:24

Very cool Marshall, thanks! That is a very interesting site!! Hard core. The set list from Sir Morgan's is amazing!!!! A true gem of a performance.

Re: The secret gig that wasn’t a secret. The Rolling Stones play Sir Morgan’s Cove, 1981 Worcester, MA
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: July 30, 2010 10:06

put t´hre warhorses on the setlist and hit the road in 2011, that´s it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 30, 2010 12:15

Good find,Marshall...couple of month ago I started a similar thread...

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 30, 2010 18:08

Is this around on CD/Bootleg?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 30, 2010 18:50

Do you remember my 1st e-mail to you,Rockman ?

I asked you if your name was Gary ....because you knew so many things about the Boys ...and I was pretty sure you were "Gary"
but you didn't disappoint me although your name isn't Gary .cool smiley

Gary rocks for sure !

Posted by: keefnut ()
Date: July 30, 2010 20:03

Thanks to all who have viewed my blog.

Best,
GaryRocks.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:41

Is the scan of the set list a fake? The comment from a self-claimed attendee talks about Under My Thumb and the Stones' greatest hits being played.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: July 30, 2010 21:49

Looks like the scan is perhaps an encore sheet, like a bunch of songs that could be played for an encore. They are mostly not '81 tour songs. I wondered the same thing. I highly doubt that is the actual setlist. I bet this gig had a very different feel from all the arena and stadium shows on that tour. There must be footage out there somewhere (?).

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 31, 2010 00:07

ron woods on bass?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2010 11:59

Another Gary - Galbraith, Gazza's alter ego - from Rocks Off site gives a following set list:

[rocksoff.org]

It goes along the "typical" 1981 tour set lits, even though it will not start with "Under My Thumb" but "Everybody Needs Somebody Love". "Thumb" is #3. It could be the case that they tried possible open numbers, and ENSTL is as "classical" opener as UMT once was. Parhaps they listened both EP and LP versions of GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! and wanted to do some "retro"...

Seemingly, McLagan's list is a lsit of possible encores or other random choices to be played if it feels right.

- Doxa

Date: July 31, 2010 16:51

Hello All,

Lots of discussion over my set list.
Understandable.
It has been verified by a Stones expert as written in Mick's hand.
I have in my collection, several other examples of Jagger's writing, marketing notes from 1981 on his feelings about their upcoming album "Tattoo You", it can seen on the site as well, annotated lyrics from his first solo album She's the Boss, and the writing style matches perfectly.

So that said, Jagger did create this set list.

I was told by the entourage member it came from, I bought his entire collection he had saved from his stint back at Longview, Ian McLargen took this from the stage and gave it to him.

It's what I know.

As we all know as the years roll on, our memories fade.
I unfortunately was not at either of the Sir Morgan's shows.
Too bad for me.

Thanks for the lively conversation.
Hope you all are enjoying the blog.

Best,
GaryRocks

Date: July 31, 2010 17:08

I have inserted a letter from the original owner of the set list in the blog post. I've blurred out his name for privacy reasons.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 1, 2010 16:18

No offense intended, Gary - I didn't mean the document was a fake, just that it didn't look like the set list for the show, and it contradicted the comment on the blog which described a more classical set list. A list of possible encores makes sense though. I was not at the show!

Date: August 1, 2010 22:59

No offense taken Gwen.
It is an unusual set list and doesn't bear any resemblance to any set lists documented about the sir morgan's show. which is why it's so interesting.
hard to say.
i completely trust the original owner's story. could have been an encore list.
anyway, thanks for reading.
best,
garyrocks

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: August 2, 2010 08:29

He meant Bill on bass, right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home