Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Stones To Stop Rolling (with a giant farewell tour) - The Sun
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 24, 2010 03:55

Is this credible ? (And sorry if it's been posted already.)

ROCK veterans THE ROLLING STONES are set to finally bow out after 50 years in music - with a giant farewell tour.

The foursome will have a combined age of 268 when the world tour kicks off next year.

The band - formed way back in 1962 - will reach its half-century during the jaunt, which is set to last into 2012.

Drummer CHARLIE WATTS will celebrate his 70th birthday on the tour, and bandmates RONNIE WOOD, 63, KEITH RICHARDS and MICK JAGGER, both 66, agreed the milestones make it the right moment to call it a day.

They are in talks with promoters Live Nation about the tour, and a source said: "They're likely to perform in stadiums. It's almost certainly the last full-scale world tour.

"The band realise that age is creeping up on them. They want to bow out on top of their game, and not short-change their fans."

The Stones first did a farewell tour of Britain in 1971, then left the country to avoid high taxes. They gave up touring again for eight years from 1982 until the Steel Wheels tour in 1990.

The Stones have sold more than 200 million albums and recorded a string of classic hits including Satisfaction, Paint It Black and Brown Sugar.

c.stroud@the-sun.co.uk

Read more: [www.thesun.co.uk]

Re: Stones To Stop Rolling (with a giant farewell tour) - The Sun
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: July 24, 2010 04:06

"The band realise that age is creeping up on them. They want to bow out on top of their game, and not short-change their fans"

l am sorry to say but they have not been at the top of their game,for a long time.
"IF" this is true(personally l doubt it),they may be in for a surprise if there is not much interest,on another stadium tour,from the public...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 24, 2010 04:22

Edith Grove

Its nothing that hasnt been widely speculated already a thousand times over.

And it merely says "in talks" which basically means nothing. As does the standard 'cant be disproven even if we make it up' quote from 'a source' who merely 'adds' meaningless stuff like "likely" and "almost certainly".

I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for an official announcement, as nothing will happen until they have new music recorded, and theres nothing to suggest theyve even recorded a note as yet. While I think they'll tour in 2011, I'll be surprised if it has started by this time next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-24 04:23 by Gazza.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 24, 2010 05:44

True, and since it's now confirmed that MitchFlorida is either employed by The Sun or has ties this has as much credibility as the theater solo tour Mick Jagger signed contracts for earlier today. This place needs fumigating, badly.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 24, 2010 05:58

Rocky Dijon
This place needs fumigating, badly.

And these are just the guys to do it:

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: July 24, 2010 06:05

A newsbit like this looks like somebody is just testing the waters. So let's tell them we want a new album first.

Posted by: stateofshock ()
Date: July 24, 2010 06:21

Noooo stadium tours. sad smiley

"What I'm doing is a sexual thing. I dance and all dancing is a replacement for sex". - Mick Jagger

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 24, 2010 07:11

O well, it's not the direction I thought they'd take when they next stepped out, but if in fact this is what we're gonna get, then in a way I have to say I'm not altogether THAT surprised. I actually thought they might have thought along the lines of somehow scaling down, hence less (if indeed ANY) stadiums, but if another stadium tour is what they do, then so be it. Better stadium Stones than NO Stones !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:07

You can tell it's silly season.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:18

If they're planing on bowing out with this tour, then stadiums are probably the way to go. Make it the big and grand spectacle they deserve.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: July 24, 2010 09:56

Not interested. Have been seeing the same recyled show since Voodoo Lounge (I missed Steel Wheels). They have enough of my money and I already have their dvds and blu-rays to watch when I want to enjoy their live music.

Saw Paul McCartney at AT&T in SF. Great concert with music and performances that still sound alive and fresh.

Date: July 24, 2010 10:36

sad smiley Holy Crap. I know it maybe rumours but...I feel depressed today like it's a funeral.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: July 24, 2010 11:58

Ya know?? when I read stupid stories like this, from stupid rags like the Sun,
who are just making things up to sell some papers, it makes me want to imagine that ...
The Sun = Jason Voorhees

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 24, 2010 12:55

Looks like the lads want to secure their pensions and then hang it up for good. I'll turn out to see them like I alkways have since 1976 - might as well make sure I dont miss the tour....wait a minute, I said this in 1982 when they played ROunhay Park in Leeds Uk - this was their final show...they even came on after the encores and toasted the crowd with champagne. I walked away from that thinking, well at least I saw the final ever show. nearly 30 years later we are still getting the final tour crap. It's a guaranteed money spinner....people fall for it every time.

Having said all that, I guess this one is the final bow...they will turn out for guest appearances and the like Ron may even keep the faces thing going, but I really think it's the last time this time...shit, you see I fell for it again!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 24, 2010 12:57

yeah, they will do The Last Tour Ever 2011 that will be their greatest success ever and then We Were Kidding Tour 2012 x)

Date: July 24, 2010 13:04

The Stones have to call it quits at some point - and with that in mind, I think this could be one Sun story that has a grain of truth. The lads only have the one tour left in them - surely! - and, imo, they should bow out in style. Sure, I would prefer a stripped-back arena/theatre venture, but this'll do. At least we'll be catching them live again.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 24, 2010 13:06

Personally, I like stadium tours! I know it's cotraversial, but I love the atmosphere and big spectacle.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2010 13:13

It always amazes me that they still have to rehearse.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: July 24, 2010 13:20

I personally have tired these megashow that for 20 years are always the same and just to earn lots of money! pathetic

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 24, 2010 13:21

Amsterdamned

Hell no, they have to - JJ Flash, SFM, Start Me Up all those chords for them to remember!

I think the rehearsals are purely to go over the posing schedule...

Keith stage right monkey stance for opening of HTW
Mick Centre stage - ridiculous Cliff Richard type moves
Ron - Stage left, looking like he is really playing something difficult staring intently at the fretboard almost in pain
Charlie - a million miles away thinking about his cars
Darryl - backgorund, thinking about the cash
Backing singers - stage left, going through the same old routines...and thinking about the cash

Blondie - wishing he was Keith, and...thinking about the cash

Takes a lot of prepping you know

Date: July 24, 2010 13:48

crumbling_mice
Amsterdamned

Hell no, they have to - JJ Flash, SFM, Start Me Up all those chords for them to remember!

Ron - Stage left, looking like he is really playing something difficult staring intently at the fretboard almost in pain

Backing singers - stage left, going through the same old routines...and thinking about the cash

Philosophical analysis...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-24 14:52 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: July 24, 2010 13:58

Edith Grove

ROCK veterans THE ROLLING STONES are set to finally bow out after 50 years in music - with a giant farewell tour.

The foursome will have a combined age of 268 when the world tour kicks off next year.

The band - formed way back in 1962 - will reach its half-century during the jaunt, which is set to last into 2012.

Drummer CHARLIE WATTS will celebrate his 70th birthday on the tour, and bandmates RONNIE WOOD, 63, KEITH RICHARDS and MICK JAGGER, both 66, agreed the milestones make it the right moment to call it a day.

They are in talks with promoters Live Nation about the tour, and a source said: "They're likely to perform in stadiums. It's almost certainly the last full-scale world tour.

"The band realise that age is creeping up on them. They want to bow out on top of their game, and not short-change their fans."

The Stones first did a farewell tour of Britain in 1971, then left the country to avoid high taxes. They gave up touring again for eight years from 1982 until the Steel Wheels tour in 1990.

The Stones have sold more than 200 million albums and recorded a string of classic hits including Satisfaction, Paint It Black and Brown Sugar.

c.stroud@the-sun.co.uk

Read more: [www.thesun.co.uk]

I think possible a new big tour 2011/2012. If it will be the last tour, well... again? But Gaza is 100% correct. Let´s wait an official information.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 24, 2010 14:08

crumbling_mice
Amsterdamned

Why does reading your posts always make me wanna urinate diarrhea out my penis?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 24, 2010 14:37

<JumpingKentFlash>

I bet Freud can answer that one..

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 24, 2010 14:39

Big Al
The Stones have to call it quits at some point - and with that in mind, I think this could be one Sun story that has a grain of truth. The lads only have the one tour left in them - surely! - and, imo, they should bow out in style. Sure, I would prefer a stripped-back arena/theatre venture, but this'll do. At least we'll be catching them live again.

They make a load of stuff up for sure, but rather like our other friendly tabloid newspaper the Daily Mail, there sometimes does indeed lie a grain of truth in any given article ... no matter how absurd or improbable it might read at the time. This is one instance where although it might sound both absurd and improbable as we read it right now, the inescapable truth is that sure as hell the boys are indeed planning something or other for the 50th, and it might prove in due course that in turns out to be exactly what the Sun is currently describing, a farewell mega stadium tour.

Who is to know. Stay tuned to this channel ............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 24, 2010 14:46

JumpingKentFlash

Because, when youre living in a fantasy world, truth HURTS!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 24, 2010 14:53

I have hoped that there will be something 'different' to be offered when the Stones hit the road again - smaller avenues, less show, more music, etc - but it start to look like - without the Sun or not - what we will have (if there is a new tour in future) would be just another Cohlian mega tour. Perhaps it is that the Stones do not have desire or skill or guts to change their old formula that has - by pragmatic standards - worked incredibly well.

But I still keep my thumbs up that we will be surprised by something different...thumbs up

- Doxa

Date: July 24, 2010 15:04

Doxa
I have hoped that there will be something 'different' to be offered when the Stones hit the road again - smaller avenues, less show, more music, etc - but it start to look like - without the Sun or not - what we will have (if there is a new tour in future) would be just another Cohlian mega tour. Perhaps it is that the Stones do not have desire or skill or guts to change their old formula that has - by pragmatic standards - worked incredibly well.

But I still keep my thumbs up that we will be surprised by something different...thumbs up

- Doxa

Doxa, I too would like something a little different, but part of me accepts that if this proves to be the Stones curtain call, then it has to be the massive stadium extravaganza - or nothing at all. They are going to want to reach out to everyone on their final hurdle and perhaps theatres - and even arenas, for that matter - fail to meet the requirements.

Date: July 24, 2010 15:05

<Perhaps it is that the Stones do not have desire or skill or guts to change their old formula that has - by pragmatic standards - worked incredibly well.>

<Doxa>

For 35 years by now.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 24, 2010 16:03

About every three years some third rate journalist writes an article like this. There is never any verification of the accuracy of these comments from the Stones organization or from the Stones themselves. These are just words and nothing else.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home