Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Is Status Quo the second oldest band after the Stones?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 13, 2010 19:13

mitchflorida
They may be successful in Europe. In America, no one has ever heard of them. That was my point.

The Rolling Stones are/were popular everywhere in the world. Let's not put the Rolling Stones and Status Quo in the same category, please!

You miss my point entirely - surprise, surprise

There's more to the world than the US. Just because they're not big where you are and because you dont like them doesnt mean they're not a 'major' act. They've sold 120 million records worldwide (more than The Who) and have had more UK chart hits than ANY act in history. Not too shabby.

For the record, I think Status Quo are shit, but thats irrelevant to this thread. Every band on the planet only appeals to a tiny minority of the public. Even the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 19:16 by Gazza.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: July 13, 2010 19:32

Gazza

For the record, I think Status Quo are shit

Now you tell us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 19:34 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 13, 2010 19:41

mitchflorida
Gazza

For the record, I think Status Quo are shit

Now you tell us.

I didnt need to because, as you could tell if you read the rest of the sentence you've half-quoted, personal taste has got sod all to do with the subject of this thread.

Cheerleading doesnt alter the fact that you're talking bollocks.

Date: July 13, 2010 19:49

If all you care about is how long a group has been together, than the oldest group would clearly be The Coasters, which was formed in the mid 1950s.

They had three bigger hits than the Status Quo ever did: Yakety Yak, and Charlie Brown, and Poison Ivy, which was covered by the Stones. The Coasters are still together and perform all the time at various festivals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 19:50 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 13, 2010 19:53

Yep...longevity is the only thing relevant to this thread, so thats a great example. They made some great records too (although why youre comparing them to Status Quo, I'm not sure..)

Still think the Blind Boys of Alabama have it, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 19:54 by Gazza.

Date: July 13, 2010 19:57

For goodness sakes, how many number one hits have the Blind Boys of Alabama had? I mean chart-busting hits like the Stones or the Coasters?

This is getting silly.

Date: July 13, 2010 20:03

Mitch - try reading the thread title. Then read what youve just said.

Then you're welcome to get back to me about who's getting silly.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:21

Ok, nothing to do with this tread but some people say 'status quo is shit!' I don't understand? It's pure rock, great riffs. Rick Parfitt is a great rythmguitar player. Is you like rock, you like Quo AND the stones!

Date: July 13, 2010 20:27

steffiestones
Ok, nothing to do with this tread but some people say 'status quo is shit!' I don't understand? It's pure rock, great riffs. Rick Parfitt is a great rythmguitar player. Is you like rock, you like Quo AND the stones!

It's all personal taste. I respect them, but I just dont like their records. To say you have to like them because you like the Stones is daft. They're far too one dimensional for my liking - but good luck to them, theyve done great to last this long and what they do, they do well.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 13, 2010 20:47

I can't really get into the Quo, either. Like Gazza, I do respect them and their longevity and continuing popularity is to be admired.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 13, 2010 21:08

From Live Aid 1985 for Gazza:

Date: July 13, 2010 21:16

Big Al
I can't really get into the Quo, either. Like Gazza, I do respect them and their longevity and continuing popularity is to be admired.

So maybe the American audience was right after all?? Indeed.

Date: July 13, 2010 21:22

The Sicilian

They remind me of Grand Funk Railroad . . which wasn't a bad American Group.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-07-13 21:24 by mitchflorida.

Date: July 13, 2010 21:42

The Sicilian

I'm more than familiar with them, mate..LOL

Prefer John Fogerty's original and Springsteen's live covers of it any time, though!

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: July 13, 2010 21:46

DandelionPowderman
After? Both bands formed in 1962, though Quo had a different name back then. Isn't Pretty Things still active? And The Shadows toured recently. I dunno...

i don't know either.

Date: July 14, 2010 00:25

mitchflorida
If all you care about is how long a group has been together, than the oldest group would clearly be The Coasters, which was formed in the mid 1950s.

They had three bigger hits than the Status Quo ever did: Yakety Yak, and Charlie Brown, and Poison Ivy, which was covered by the Stones. The Coasters are still together and perform all the time at various festivals.

So why didn´t The Coasters open Live Aid then? Come on, Mitch. Do you think an unknown band would have been chosen for that gig?

Date: July 14, 2010 00:49

bustedtrousers
DandelionPowderman
After? Both bands formed in 1962, though Quo had a different name back then. Isn't Pretty Things still active? And The Shadows toured recently. I dunno...

i don't know either.

The Pretty Things are indeed still active. Been going since 1964. They played at Hyde Park Calling last year. Two of the original members, Dick Taylor and Phil May, are still in the band. (They never had any chartbusting hits in the US though, so I suppose in some people's eyes, that nullifies the entire point of their existence).

The Shadows formed as The Drifters in 1958, changing their name as there was a prominent band in the US of the same name (who have also been going ever since 1953, although with none of the original members). Theyve broke up and reformed several times, though.

Date: July 14, 2010 00:50

DandelionPowderman

So why didn´t The Coasters open Live Aid then? Come on, Mitch. Do you think an unknown band would have been chosen for that gig?

Good point.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 14, 2010 00:58

[en.wikipedia.org]

Still Alive

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 14, 2010 02:28

susannewortmann
1964 the Who were formed!

Yes and no. Townshend, Daltrey, and Entwistle were playing together in the Detours as early as 1959.

Date: July 14, 2010 05:50

DandelionPowderman

The topic is sort of vague. By oldest continuing group, the Coasters have been around the longest. But The Coasters last had a hit album about 50 years ago, so you do have a point. Status Quo apparently still sells lots of albums.

The mystery is why they are so popular in Europe and completely ignored here.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 14, 2010 06:39

Gazza
The Sicilian

I'm more than familiar with them, mate..LOL

Prefer John Fogerty's original and Springsteen's live covers of it any time, though!
Zactly.....I think Status Quo I think Pictures of Matchstick Men.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: July 14, 2010 08:08

I don't think the Coasters have any original members left at this point and have not for awhile.

Posted by: susannewortmann ()
Date: July 14, 2010 12:37

mitchflorida
They may be successful in Europe. In America, no one has ever heard of them. That was my point.

The Rolling Stones are/were popular everywhere in the world. Let's not put the Rolling Stones and Status Quo in the same category, please!

That's the problem with many (read carefully I do NOT generalise) Americans, to them America is the World and well I gotta tell you...it's not! Morrissey had a great song on that subject on his 2004 Quarry album by the way!

If the Stones enjoyed their touring as much as Quo still does and played 200 concerts a year all over the world we all wouldn't be whining here when the Stones would go out again to tour! And they will, next year possibly, great my Stones News post!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home