Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"Turd On The Run" gets no love
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:25

I think this is one of the tightest, most rollicking, juke-joint jumping, jivey, barrelhouse things ever recorded, yet the praise for this number is faint, even among us Exile lovers. Whenever someone makes a case against the brilliance of Exile, they tend to pull out this song to support their argument that Exile should have been a single LP, etc. The lyrics are great. Bill and Charlie drive it like a freight train and Jagger blows amazing blues harp. Is it the title? I think if this song were called "Lost A Lot of Love Over You" it would garner far more respect.

Re: "Turd On The Run" gets no love
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:28

turd gets love. funny you should mention turd, cos today's official word of the day is "scatology," which studies such matters...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:30

71Tele
I think if this song were called "Lost A Lot of Love Over You" it would garner far more respect.

The Robert Plant song "Big Log" had a similar problem.

Date: June 30, 2010 19:30

StonesTod
turd gets love. funny you should mention turd, cos today's official word of the day is "scatology," which studies such matters...

Who comes up with the Official Word Of The Day? I've clearly been missing something.smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:31

No shit turd gets love. I love turd.

Date: June 30, 2010 19:32

Turd On The Run is a classic steaming hillbilly-tune that I caressed dearly from our first encounter winking smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:32

I love it..One of the very best on the album...I must say i didn't really like it when it 1st came out...
But it grew on me to where now i can't believe i was so dumb as to not have liked it...ha
I can only believe i didn't understand what it was all about and just didn't listen to it enough!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:35

71Tele:

Totally agree with you. TOTR is fantastic. Indeed, even if Exile would have been better as a single LP (not claiming this myself), I would have included Turd for certain!

71Tele
StonesTod

Who comes up with the Official Word Of The Day? I've clearly been missing something.smoking smiley

[www.wordsmith.org]

subscription is free...

Posted by: cc ()

yeah, it's the "Gary's Got a Boner" of EoMS.

Date: June 30, 2010 19:36

cc
yeah, it's the "Gary's Got a Boner" of EoMS.

Hah! Another 'Mats fan? We are kindred spirits.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:44

That is the first song I ever heard off Exile. I remember walking into a record store in Corvallis, Oregon in 1972 and that is the song that was playing over the speakers in the store. I was blown away. Yes it doesn't get enough love, but it is a rockin' song. I wish the Stones would perform it live.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 19:53

TOTR is a great song and the lyrics are hysterical. EOS as a single album? I'd have a hard time paring it down; I like every goddamn song too much.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:06

Great Song...

Diamond rings...Vaseline...you gave me disease is one of the greatest lines on the album.

I love the triology of Ventilator Blues, TOTR & I Just Wanna See His Face

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:13

Diamond rings...Vaseline...you gave me disease is one of the greatest lines on the album.

..... so is, 'Fell down to my knees and I hung onto your pants,
but you just kept on runnin' while they ripped off in my hands.'

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:16

I agree with all of this -- the song rocks and the lyrics are really clever. It could have benefited from a different title.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:19

theanchorman
Great Song...

I love the triology of Ventilator Blues, TOTR & I Just Wanna See His Face

You stole my very words!

That exact line sticked in my head from the first moment I listened to the album, plus I always had something particular with side 3 of exile.

Turd is also great to play. Very physical music. Great pull offs by Taylor after the Well I lost a lot of love over you line ...

C

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:27

(to the title of the thread) ... WANNA BET?????

seriously, I love the whole album, but this is the song I've played more than any other track!!

I remember when I first got this album back in 72 when it 1st came out, a friend was with me when I picked up it up. On the way going back to my house, my friend noticed the 'name' of this song on side 3, "Turd on the Run?" And what only can be described as a 'Beavis & Butthead' moment, the both of us just cracked up and 'just HAD to check that out!!"

Needless to say, we were both totally blown away when hearing it for the 1st time!! I have always said that the ONLY BEEF I have with this song is that it's 6 to 8 minutes too short...

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Date: June 30, 2010 20:48

looks like turd gets plenty o' luv, after all....

Date: June 30, 2010 20:57

StonesTod

Yes, and it warms my Exile-loving heart. EXCEPT that no love seems to come from our boys, who have never once played it live. Though I don't think I would want to hear it now with Darryl and Chuck instead of Bill and Stu.

Another Turd note: Is it possible that it's Taylor on that great rhythm guitar part? The tone and voicing sound exactly like "Shake Your Hips", and we know from the rehearsal footage that he played rhythm on that.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 30, 2010 20:58

71Tele
....most rollicking, juke-joint jumping, jivey, barrelhouse things ever recorded, yet the praise for this number is faint, even among us Exile lovers. Whenever someone makes a case against the brilliance of Exile, they tend to pull out this song to support their argument that Exile should have been a single LP, etc. The lyrics are great. Bill and Charlie drive it like a freight train and Jagger blows amazing blues harp. Is it the title? I think if this song were called "Lost A Lot of Love Over You" it would garner far more respect.

i could not agree more. it's as "rollicking" as Rip This Joint.

Definitely fits the album.....maybe "critics" poo-pooed it (pun intended) merely
because of the song title....possibly thinking that it was filler & that the "Stones didn't
think much of it..why should I? They called it 'Turd On the Run' = Diarrhea."

Just a guess. winking smiley But definitely a fave of mine.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: June 30, 2010 21:00

71Tele
StonesTod

Yes, and it warms my Exile-loving heart. EXCEPT that no love seems to come from our boys, who have never once played it live. Though I don't think I would want to hear it now with Darryl and Chuck instead of Bill and Stu.

it's been rehearsed for tours in the past 20 years - but it's difficult to imagine what it would sound like with the current lineup...apparently it didn't pass muster...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-30 21:00 by StonesTod.

Date: June 30, 2010 21:03

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

it's been rehearsed for tours in the past 20 years - but it's difficult to imagine what it would sound like with the current lineup...apparently it didn't pass muster...

Thanks Tod. I didn't even know it had ever been considered. I really don't think the current lineup could pull it off, sadly. Maybe Taylor and Bill Plummer could join them as guests on one of these special Exile shows we have been fantasizing about.

Date: June 30, 2010 21:09

71Tele
Maybe Taylor and Bill Plummer could join them as guests on one of these special Exile shows we have been fantasizing about.

they already did in several of my fantasized tours....and they were great. but, for some reason they did an odd and out of place acapella version of gomper at one of them....

Date: June 30, 2010 21:12

StonesTod
71Tele
Maybe Taylor and Bill Plummer could join them as guests on one of these special Exile shows we have been fantasizing about.

they already did in several of my fantasized tours....and they were great. but, for some reason they did an odd and out of place acapella version of gomper at one of them....

Did they also do a version of "In Another Land" with the London Symphony Orchestra? I want some of whatever you're having.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 30, 2010 21:51

I would've loved to hear TOTR with full drums and not the little sticks on a road case that they did.

Great tune either way, but if the drums were as rambunctious as the Teles it would've rocked even more

Date: June 30, 2010 22:22

I think the trap drums worked just fine on the recording.

71Tele: It would surprise me a lot if it wasn´t Keith that did the open G guitar track on TOTR.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: June 30, 2010 23:29

I love it, as well as every other track on Exile. It cooks.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 30, 2010 23:51

Munichhilton
I would've loved to hear TOTR with full drums and not the little sticks on a road case that they did.

Great tune either way, but if the drums were as rambunctious as the Teles it would've rocked even more

doesn't it sound more like a Sun Studios cut with the trap drumkit, Rip It Up?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 1, 2010 00:18

I've always loved Turd. So much so that a couple years back the band I was in we played it for about 6 months.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home