Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: What To Do
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: June 22, 2010 00:08

My all-time favorite unnoticed Rolling Stones song.

Love this song. Mick's voice was at its best then too.

Re: Track Talk: What To Do
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2010 00:15

what's not to love?

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: June 22, 2010 04:28

StonesTod
what's not to love?

Eggsactly!! grinning smiley

Specially love the 'bow bow bow bow bow' bv low in the mix in the verses ... and it sounds like marimbas at the end (so I'm presuming Brian here). One of my FAV tracks off the UK version of Aftermath. Actually ain't one track on the UK version that's a 'dud' ...
--------------------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 04:29

This IS a great underappreciated one.

Date: June 22, 2010 05:10

One of my friends told me he thought this was the Rolling Stones meet the Beach Boys in terms of the backing vocals.

The Stones thought so little of this song that they didn't even release it in America for about 20 years or so. But I like the casual groove of the song!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 05:10 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 22, 2010 05:32

I always like this too ( even tho in the states we didnt get to hear it until More Hot Rocks LP !) Who do you think was the source of the low "bow-bows"? I always figured Bill? On the Beach Boys sound , I always thought "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" was a dead ringer (even tho the song kinda sucks), especially the outro!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2010 06:05

One of my all time faves! Excellent song.

Date: June 22, 2010 06:31

scottkeef
I always like this too ( even tho in the states we didnt get to hear it until More Hot Rocks LP !) Who do you think was the source of the low "bow-bows"? I always figured Bill? On the Beach Boys sound , I always thought "I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys" was a dead ringer (even tho the song kinda sucks), especially the outro!

I just listened to I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys for the first time . . man is that one horrible song! But you are right the beginning sounds like the Beach Boys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 06:32 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2010 06:36

Love the handclaps, and can I say that I really miss the metallic guitar sound they got in this period? The "pop" period of the Stones - the time between their aping of American blues and their discovery of their "classic" sound around Beggars Banquet - is under-appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 07:26 by 71Tele.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: June 22, 2010 07:23

Love it. In terms of expression of their raw talent, "freshness",and inspiration I think that the Stones in the sixties were at their apogeum. Many indicate the early 70's as their best songs period. Somehow they are right too, in the early 70's they were at their best in a global balance that contemplates all the "parameters" (also "technical maturity", production, etc.)

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 22, 2010 08:15

Count me in,amazing how easy they found it to make great music back then

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 09:08

zumabitch
Love it. In terms of expression of their raw talent, "freshness",and inspiration I think that the Stones in the sixties were at their apogeum. Many indicate the early 70's as their best songs period. Somehow they are right too, in the early 70's they were at their best in a global balance that contemplates all the "parameters" (also "technical maturity", production, etc.)

Doxa, is that you?...

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 22, 2010 11:25

Aftermath is a masterpiece,althoug i prefer the UK version of the album

Date: June 22, 2010 14:39

The Stones obviously viewed "What To Do" as a throwaway song , but it is superior in so many ways to their more vaunted work of the 90s and beyond. And wow, the back up vocal is actually singing in tune for a change. How unusual!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 14:41 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 22, 2010 19:22

Great sixties pop sound song

Date: June 22, 2010 19:28

mitchflorida
but it is superior in so many ways to their more vaunted work of the 90s and beyond.

they have vaunted work in the 90's and beyond? i vaunt to hear it....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 22, 2010 19:46

fake track talk alert (great song, though).

Date: June 22, 2010 19:56

Koen

I may just be dumb ( its been known to happen) but I dont get this??

You mean the track is fake? Must be a pretty good one since it was on the legit UK release...my apologies if I'm missing the meaning.

Date: June 22, 2010 19:59

scottkeef
Koen

I may just be dumb ( its been known to happen) but I dont get this??

You mean the track is fake? Must be a pretty good one since it was on the legit UK release...my apologies if I'm missing the meaning.

Some people are just best ignored.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:20

It's an OK track, but, IMO, sounds like something Lennon/McCartney would've come up with circa 1962-'63. The Stones were penning fabulous singles at the time, but were still a little iffy on their self-written LP numbers.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:22

There is a series of posts called 'Track Talk' by Rene, who goes through all the songs alphabetically, and has been doing this for a long time. I think right now he is at 'Family'. It's kind of an unwritten rule on IORR that 'Track Talk' is only used for his posts.

Date: June 22, 2010 20:23

Koen
There is a series of posts called 'Track Talk' by Rene, who goes through all the songs alphabetically, and has been doing this for a long time. I think right now he is at 'Family'. It's kind of an unwritten rule on IORR that 'Track Talk' is only used for his posts.

what to do, then, for the next 8 years until rene gets to W? i really don't know....

Date: June 22, 2010 20:26

The interesting thing about WTD is that it has a very, very "loose" feel, but is actually very tight . . there isn't a false note in the entire track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-22 20:27 by mitchflorida.

Date: June 22, 2010 20:32

Thanks for the explanation..boy, do I feel stupid!(but thats not unusual!!LOL)

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:40

i like The Meat Puppets' cover of this song.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:45

As much as I can say my favourite period was from 68-72, when I hear songs like this, I'm reminded of what an unbelievably amazing band this was up to and yes, including Majesties.

In fact, if you don't include ANYTHING else after 1967, I'd suggest they'd still be rated at least number 2 band of all time.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 23, 2010 01:50

Interesting that nobody has said yet that the strongest point of this song is that it's so utterly boring. I mean: it's a musical translation of the idea of 'boredom'. That's brilliant. When you're not bored and you listen to this song you suddenly know: yes, this is what boredom is like! When you're bored and you listen to this song you'll get so aware of yourself being bored that you'll stop being bored, because it's always interesting to find something out.

This song musicalisizes boredom. Exciting.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 23, 2010 01:53

It makes for a weak end to the UK Aftermath.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2010 02:10

kleermaker
Interesting that nobody has said yet that the strongest point of this song is that it's so utterly boring. I mean: it's a musical translation of the idea of 'boredom'. That's brilliant. When you're not bored and you listen to this song you suddenly know: yes, this is what boredom is like! When you're bored and you listen to this song you'll get so aware of yourself being bored that you'll stop being bored, because it's always interesting to find something out.

This song musicalisizes boredom. Exciting.

boring though it may be musically, the performance is excellent, and the performance raises this.

Date: June 23, 2010 02:41

kleermaker
Interesting that nobody has said yet that the strongest point of this song is that it's so utterly boring. This song musicalizes boredom.

I would have to disagree. If you really want to hear a song that musicalizes boredom, listen to the Stones 12-minute version of Goin' Home which appears on the same Aftermath album.

Now THAT is the true definition of boring music. I listened to it once when it first came out and have never listened to it since!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home