Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What did 60s+70s British Bands have -That others didnt?
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 6, 2010 07:58

Would it be right to say more great Bands and Musicians have come out of Britain in the 1960s+70s than any other country.Because the British had certainly influenced other musicians back then..and even to this day with quite a few of those young musicians and Bands (worldwide) from back in the 60s+70s have become big names in the music industry themselves now a days and have said they were influenced by British music scene especially by the likes of..The Rolling Stones and The Beatles..Led Zeppelin..Pink Floyd..David Bowie etc..

Re: What did 60s+70s British Bands have -That others didnt?
Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 6, 2010 08:10

It must have been something in PG Tips.

Date: June 6, 2010 08:28

bolexman

It must have been something in PG Tips.
bolexman..yea.. mate..Thats another thing the British are famous for..Theres nothing like a nice cup of Tea..smoking smiley
( actually..I might just go put the jug on myself)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 6, 2010 08:38

I think it was the trousers.

Date: June 6, 2010 09:11

I'm in Australia, and the other day a friend was talking about how the English rock stars love their tea... hahaha... And then on TV the other night "Stones In Exile" screened down here, and Bill Wyman was complaining about not being able to buy PG Tips in France. Hahaha!

Date: June 6, 2010 09:47

bolexman
I'm in Australia, and the other day a friend was talking about how the English rock stars love their tea... hahaha... And then on TV the other night "Stones In Exile" screened down here, and Bill Wyman was complaining about not being able to buy PG Tips in France. Hahaha!
yea..bolexman..good one mate..cheers smoking smiley

Date: June 6, 2010 09:48

Sorry. What are PG Tips?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 6, 2010 09:51

don't forget The Who.

Date: June 6, 2010 10:08

colonial
bolexman
yea..mate..quite a few of ya Aussie bands have members from England..Scotland..Ireland..Wales in them.One of my favourite Aussie Bands *The Angels* orginal lead singer was from Belfast and of course AC/DC ya got the Young brothers from Glasgow.

Date: June 6, 2010 10:24

71Tele
Sorry. What are PG Tips?
Tea Bags

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 6, 2010 10:38

World War2...Muddy Waters...Sam Phillips....Elvis...Little Richard....
Chuck Berry....Bo Diddley...Leiber/Stoller...Gene Vincent...Buddy Holly....Television....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 6, 2010 11:22

They were the generation raised on radio (not television)

Date: June 6, 2010 11:46

colonial
colonial
bolexman
yea..mate..quite a few of ya Aussie bands have members from England..Scotland..Ireland..Wales in them.One of my favourite Aussie Bands *The Angels* orginal lead singer was from Belfast and of course AC/DC ya got the Young brothers from Glasgow.

True! The best Aussie bands usually have members from the UK (AC/DC), or they are heavily influenced by UK rock stars (Tex Perkins), or they even move there themselves (Nick Cave).

My reference to the english habit of drinking tea is respectful. It is one of those habits the english rock stars from the 1960s maintained, and you don't really find it in other music scenes. There are plenty of references to tea during recording sessions by The Beatles and The Stones (doesn't the "Let It Bleed" sleeve notes thank someone for "tea and sympathy"?).

...And has anyone seen The Rutles movie? It blames tea drinking for inspiring pyschedelia! winking smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 6, 2010 11:58

I'd love to go to Australia one time. not only because it's the farthest place on Earth I can think of... I've read some books on it and I've got some wild wild wild photo albums... looks like the paradise smiling smiley

Date: June 6, 2010 12:09

bolexman
colonial
colonial
bolexman

True! The best Aussie bands usually have members from the UK (AC/DC), or they are heavily influenced by UK rock stars (Tex Perkins), or they even move there themselves (Nick Cave).

My reference to the english habit of drinking tea is respectful. It is one of those habits the english rock stars from the 1960s maintained, and you don't really find it in other music scenes. There are plenty of references to tea during recording sessions by The Beatles and The Stones (doesn't the "Let It Bleed" sleeve notes thank someone for "tea and sympathy"?).

...And has anyone seen The Rutles movie? It blames tea drinking for inspiring pyschedelia! winking smiley
bolexman..Angus and Malcolm Young AC/DC love nothing better than a nice cuppa and a fag..and Jimmy Barnes is another big Tea drinker to..

Date: June 6, 2010 12:41

<< ...And has anyone seen The Rutles movie? It blames tea drinking for inspiring pyschedelia! >>

Yes, The Rutles is where I got the trousers comment from...Also, the beatles used "tea" as a euphemism for pot smoking, as in George saying "we had several cups of tea in the car on the way to meeting Elvis".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 12:42 by 71Tele.

Date: June 6, 2010 12:56

71Tele
<< ...And has anyone seen The Rutles movie? It blames tea drinking for inspiring pyschedelia! >>

Yes, The Rutles is where I got the trousers comment from...Also, the beatles used "tea" as a euphemism for pot smoking, as in George saying "we had several cups of tea in the car on the way to meeting Elvis".

Ha! Yes 71Tele, I forgot about the trousers in The Rutles. The British rock stars definitely had some serious trouser action happening in the 60s and 70s... So maybe we can conclude that a pair of "rude" trousers and a cup of tea gave them the edge? Perhaps all along this was the zeitgeist others have searched for.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: June 6, 2010 18:45

Well, the Rutles did ok until their manager died.
Then they shocked, actually shocked and stunned.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Date: June 6, 2010 19:14

marvpeck
Well, the Rutles did ok until their manager died.
Then they shocked, actually shocked and stunned.

He didn't die! He accepted a teaching post in Australia!

The trousers. They were very...tight.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 6, 2010 19:14

Would it be right to say more great Bands and Musicians have come out of Britain in the 1960s+70s than any other country.

I am not sure that is true, but artists from the UK made enormous contributions.

Because the British had certainly influenced other musicians back then..and even to this day with quite a few of those young musicians and Bands (worldwide) from back in the 60s+70s have become big names in the music industry themselves now a days and have said they were influenced by British music scene especially by the likes of..The Rolling Stones and The Beatles..Led Zeppelin..Pink Floyd..David Bowie etc..

It is ironic that these bands were so popular in the US since they were influenced by American artists both black and white. They certainly influenced the popular musical landscape and added their own flavor, but each one would admit to profound earlier heros.

But to address the title of this thread, what they had first and foremost were The Beatles. Everyone else followed. The source of that band's popularity need not be rehashed, but its timing was precise. Within months of the assassination a breath of musical and personal fresh air hit the US. The band was ready. The US was ready. The world was ready. It was the right band at the right time. And the "invasion" started. It helps that The Beatles were brilliant.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:01

I guess UK was more liberal than US - it made it easier for UK bands to emerge.
Blues in US was played by black musicians, which were badly tolerated in US. Blues in UK was played by white musicians and therefore easy to getting accepted.
Maybe London was a better music city than NY??

Date: June 6, 2010 22:07

Things really havent changed from the 1960s to 2010..the early UK Bands are still the most recognized and influential in the world..what other Countries can match it with the amount of great Bands out of the UK?..(none) Even to this day ya still see young musicians and Bands that are still been influenced by UK Bands..Theres another thread here *Americas Best Band* hey..(dont get me wrong)smiling smiley LOL..but alot of those Bands people are saying that are Americas best Bands ive never heard of..and ya would be struggling to think of an American Band thats in the same class as The Stones..The Beatles..Led Zeppelin..Pink Floyd..The Who etc..BRITAIN have the greatest Bands...and...AMERICA have most of the greatest solo Musicians of the all time..Elvis..Chuck Berry..Jimmi Hendrix etc.......(Its a fact)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:12

Peculiar question when every brittish band had wished to sound like Buddy Holly & The Crickets, or Elvis...

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:26

Elvis was a sensation but not really that talented if you compare him to the Stones and the Beatles and the WHO, who wrote most of their own music. The British musicians, for me, were magical....leagues above the rest of the artists of the 60's and 70's, and yes, there were exceptions. The USA did have Buddy Holly, the San Francisco scene that spawned the Doors,& Janis and of course we can lay claim to Hendrix...but he actually made it in London first! The whole British Invasion scene was a once in a lifetime burst of exceptional creativity, never to be matched!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:27

Americans have also had a good number of musicians that have inspired the rest of the world:
What about groups like: Greatfull Death, Allman Brothers, ZZ Top, Doors, Jefferon Airplane, CCR, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Boston, Kiss, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Beach Boys, Rage Against the Machine, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Alter Bridge, Kings of Leon, Ramones, Journey, Chicago, Geen Day, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young etc.
And then solo artist like, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters, Joan Baez, Buffalo Springfield, Robert Johnson, Michael Jackson, etc.
You could continue with Country- , Rap-, HipHop-, Blues musicans and you will find an enormous number of American musicians who have had an very big influence on world music - don't know which is bigger US or UK. If you include all kind of modern music, I guess US has been more influential .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-06 22:33 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:28

...yeah or The Four Seasons or The Friggin Beach Boys...

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: June 6, 2010 22:28

beatlemania. land beatle hair cuts. and long hair derived from beatles success. anyone claiming liverpool or mersey side at first then london...lot of great bands. the bestest like stones kinks who beatles animals some others...van morrison too tho Irish....he had magic. those with magic like ones listed so superior and visionary and miracles. much of it just kinda mediocre but the hair the beatlemania the mystiwqe; ;the absolute HYSTERIA takeover the beatles accomplished...that's what tot them brit bands signed and noticed at first...and for a long while...

a lot of crap bands too.

and a lot of great american bands had that magic...it's a magic thing not a country thing i think.... tho all of it is based and derived and rooted in American Music. and we appreciate so much the stones and other groups great hotrodded souped up brilliant original reflection of blues country folk w euro influences and african influences cause rock and roll is derived from.....insert history here....

the hair. the beatles. the hype. is my answer.

Date: June 6, 2010 22:56

Come On
Peculiar question when every brittish band had wished to sound like Buddy Holly & The Crickets, or Elvis...
Come On....yes..Britain did have Bands and Musicians that wanted to sound like those American easy listening pop musicians and ya..could probably add The Beach Boys to that list as well..but hey.. theres alot of American Bands that wanted to sound like the British rock Bands that ive mentioned..and still do.Some people are saying Aerosmith? is Americas greatest Band (I doubt it)..even the lead of that Band fancies himself as another Mick Jagger...smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 6, 2010 23:07

mickschix
Elvis was a sensation but not really that talented if you compare him to the Stones and the Beatles and the WHO, who wrote most of their own music. The British musicians, for me, were magical....leagues above the rest of the artists of the 60's and 70's, and yes, there were exceptions. The USA did have Buddy Holly, the San Francisco scene that spawned the Doors,& Janis and of course we can lay claim to Hendrix...but he actually made it in London first! The whole British Invasion scene was a once in a lifetime burst of exceptional creativity, never to be matched!

What more can we say .....thanks mickschix

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 6, 2010 23:41

Thanks NICOS!!cool smiley That's why so many of us have no use for today's music!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home