Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Billboard.com, UMe's 5 year plan for EXILE and beyond distribution strategies
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2010 22:19

This is from the front page of billboard.com

[www.billboard.com]

Interesting to see the effort that Universal plans for this and future albums.

It looks like Sticky Fingers is next...

There is also an 'all-vinyl' remastered box in the planning stages...get ready to spend some money.

Re: Billboard.com, UMe's 5 year plan for EXILE and beyond distribution strategies
Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 21, 2010 07:41

That's the second place I have seen a reference to the upcoming "30th anniversary" of Sticky Fingers.

1971 + 30 = 2001

smileys with beerRe: Billboard.com, UMe's 5 year plan for EXILE and beyond distribution strategies
Date: May 21, 2010 11:08

Regardless of that, it looks like Universal is really trying to justify there investment, which is great because they are going to push not only the catalogue, but unreleased tracks a'la this Exile rerelease.

If Sticky Fingers is the next big release on their agenda, for 2011, which they say it is...does that mean they'll go back to the vault?

And as Mick has identified Exile recordings as 1969-72, does that mean Sticky is 1966-68 smileys with beer This could get interesting!

Re: Billboard.com, UMe's 5 year plan for EXILE and beyond distribution strategies
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:32

Special Edition treatment for SF is always welcome here!! Hopefully they will produce special editions for LiB and Beggars at some point.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 21, 2010 11:50

Father Ted
Hopefully they will produce special editions for LiB and Beggars at some point.

LIB and Beggars are not on the Universal catalog...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 21, 2010 12:06

mitch
Father Ted

Yes they are. ABKCO distibutes through Universal.

It looks like the prblem with ABKCO is solved, as Loving Cup is a Let It Bleed outtake, but is released on the new Exile.

Also, Don Was stated in an interview that he would love to put out Blood Red Wine, which is a Beggars outtake.

I THINK EVERY TAPE IS KEPT IN A SHARED VAULT FOR BOTH THE STONES AND ABKCO!

Date: May 21, 2010 12:21

Blueranger
mitch
Father Ted

It looks like the prblem with ABKCO is solved, as Loving Cup is a Let It Bleed outtake, but is released on the new Exile.

Also, Don Was stated in an interview that he would love to put out Blood Red Wine, which is a Beggars outtake.

Do you think Don Was will be working on future special editions? He certainly seems to know his outtakes well!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 14:21

Father Ted
Blueranger
mitch
Father Ted

Do you think Don Was will be working on future special editions? He certainly seems to know his outtakes well!
like him or not Don Was is now essential when it comes to the outtakes

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 15:31

"I automatically assumed that anything good [and unused] that we'd done on 'Exile' would roll over to . . . what was the next one, 'Goat's Head Soup?' "

Awesome. Just simply priceless. I love how Keith knows the history of the band's discography! LOL

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 21, 2010 15:53

In my opinion, it's a little retarded to release deluxe versions of known albums all the time, when a Bootleg Series kind of thing -- with only outtakes and live shows, well sorted -- would be much better.

If they wanna fuel the cash machine for a long time with many releases, there are still plenty of opportunities. There could be a whole disc or double disc with Beggars Banquet outtakes. Same with Let It Bleed. If there aren't enough outtakes, they could use live tracks. And there are enough undocumented tours and shows to fill out a whole five years of stand-alone live releases. You got '70, '71, '72, '73, '75-76, '77, '78 ... the list goes on.

What we don't need is yet another release of the very tracks that constitute Sticky Fingers ... but Sticky outtakes? '70-'71 live tracks? We'd take 'em any day!

Date: May 21, 2010 17:31

Comparing the success of the Exile rerelease, vs. the 'Rarities' package, they are bound to assume that album name association has something to do with it.

I would bet that they'll try a Sticky rerelease/with outtakes next year, just to revisit this year's success.

Kind of like doing 'Emotional Rescue' after 'Miss You'.

They like selling records!

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:29

VoodooLounge13
"I automatically assumed that anything good [and unused] that we'd done on 'Exile' would roll over to . . . what was the next one, 'Goat's Head Soup?' "

Awesome. Just simply priceless. I love how Keith knows the history of the band's discography! LOL

He was a bit "under the weather" at the time.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:36

I would be happy if they were to dip into the vaults for anything, really, but especially Goats Head Soup, IORR, Black And Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue.

I can't see anything extra with Sticky Fingers since part of what was leftover from that album IS on Exile.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:41

skipstone
I can't see anything extra with Sticky Fingers since part of what was leftover from that album IS on Exile.

Travellin´ Man?

Date: May 21, 2010 18:41

LieB
In my opinion, it's a little retarded to release deluxe versions of known albums all the time, when a Bootleg Series kind of thing -- with only outtakes and live shows, well sorted -- would be much better.

If they wanna fuel the cash machine for a long time with many releases, there are still plenty of opportunities. There could be a whole disc or double disc with Beggars Banquet outtakes. Same with Let It Bleed. If there aren't enough outtakes, they could use live tracks. And there are enough undocumented tours and shows to fill out a whole five years of stand-alone live releases. You got '70, '71, '72, '73, '75-76, '77, '78 ... the list goes on.

What we don't need is yet another release of the very tracks that constitute Sticky Fingers ... but Sticky outtakes? '70-'71 live tracks? We'd take 'em any day!

Yes the unreleased live archive is an untapped goldmine! For many of the tours, you could produce an attractive CD/DVD package. Now wouldn't that be great?!

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:09

would rather the band do a new record and tour. but expanded re-releases should be more complete. studio tracks from the vault, live versions, pro-shot DVD's and then TV interviews and promotion for the record/tour, a la the great stuff in "shine a light". plus, improved quality control along the lines of the virgin replica's.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:16

If they have this 5 year plan why did they already re-release the catalog this past year?

I look forward to all the albums being re-re-released in a exile-type Deluxe scale. But I hope they stop releasing outtake/new song hybrids though. I don't want Mick to finish off any tracks from the Sticky Fingers or Some Girls sessions. Just leave them be. Not happy with the outtakes?---don't put them on at all then.

Hell, having the catalog in a freakin digi-pack style packaging is enough of a "special edition" for me.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:47

Justin
If they have this 5 year plan why did they already re-release the catalog this past year?

Because everything from Sticky Fingers to present was off the market once the contract with Virgin expired last year. The Stones didn't sign with a new label to not release its albums. And Universal wasn't about to invest in a band and not release it's product for up to five years, especially when it only has access to the catalog for a limited number of years. And the five year plan is fluid depending on how each project does. If one bombs, there may not be a next one. Fortunately, it looks like this one is doing even better than expected so there should be at least one more Deluxe Edition (Sticky Fingers 40th?).

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:51

skipstone

How about a live dvd of a 1971 show as bonus material?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 21, 2010 19:59

Did Universal just come up with this 5 year plan?

I would've guessed that the second they realized they were grabbing the catalog--they would've put together this "5 year plan" right then. Point being: they should've already started releasing a "Deluxe" Sticky Fingers...a "deluxe" Goats Head Soup...or a "deluxe" Emotional Rescue.

Instead, they re-released the catalog, re-released a super-deluxe "Exile" and now they backtrack and re-release the other albums again in a super-deluxe style.

Sloppy game plan, if you ask me.

Date: May 21, 2010 20:05

Justin
Did Universal just come up with this 5 year plan?

I would've guessed that the second they realized they were grabbing the catalog--they would've put together this "5 year plan" right then. Point being: they should've already started releasing a "Deluxe" Sticky Fingers...a "deluxe" Goats Head Soup...or a "deluxe" Emotional Rescue.

Instead, they re-released the catalog, re-released a super-deluxe "Exile" and now they backtrack and re-release the other albums again in a super-deluxe style.

Sloppy game plan, if you ask me.

Sloppy, or opportunistic? Don't get me wrong, I love that they are putting all this care and attention to the Exile release...but for everyone that bought the remasters in 2009, those copies will be rendered obsolete and depending on the material on the 'new' sticky for 2011, who on this board isn't going to either trot down to HMV, or order yet another copy on Amazon?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:09

I meant extra for Sticky Fingers in terms of studio recordings. The way Mick made it sound is there's nothing leftover. But then again, maybe there is. They put the 1969 recordings on as well as Nellcote sessions leftovers and nothing else huh. But isn't Good Time Women from the Sticky Fingers sessions?

Well then maybe there are some leftovers. I guess another visit to nzentgraf is of order (for the millionth time - one would think that shit would be part of our DNA now!).

As a Stones fan I would only want to buy them as a separate disc, not buy the album again. I already have them. I guess though that if it only came with buying the album again I'd have to do that. That's the only way I'm ever going to buy any of their albums again (unless I lose them, which I won't). I'm not buying the UMe reissues at full price just so I can have them louder.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:27

I assume, seems obvious, that Loving Cup and Goodtime Woman made it to the Exile remaster because those sings came to full fruition on that album.

Time line wise they probably should have been part of a Sticky Fingers set. If the ABKCO thing is sorted out, perhaps an outtake of Sister Morphine will be part of SF set, even though it dates from Spring 1969.

I think things will get rather interesting if they do this for Beggars Banquet etc. I'm wondering if they'll issue never heard outtakes featuring Brian or intentionally avoid such tracks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 21, 2010 20:30

redsock
That's the second place I have seen a reference to the upcoming "30th anniversary" of Sticky Fingers.

1971 + 30 = 2001

Its a repost of an article that appeared a couple of weeks ago, I think.

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:15

Sticky Fingers 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition about a year from now would be perfect! They could easily put a few outtakes on the bonus disk plus a lot of high quality live performances from 1970/1971 if any exist. Is there any possibility that Leeds was also recorded in stereo? Or probably just mono?

This would be similar to the extra stuff on The Who - Who's Next Deluxe Edition, rehearsal versions and performances of the songs outside of the studio but not necessarily in front of a huge crowd. The Young Vic stuff is fascinating to listen to.

I do love alternate takes when they aren't TOO close to the original. A completely different performance or completely different vocals for instance. Loving Cup & Soul Survivor are GREAT on the Exile disc.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:22

Hopefully any of these extra outtakes will continue to be offered by Target as stand alone CDs for those of us not wanting to buy the whole album again.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:41

Meanwhile, this fall will bring the release of a remastered collector's boxed
set of all 14 post-1971 studio albums on heavyweight vinyl, although future
plans will ultimately be dictated by the success of "Exile."

"It's important for us to do really well with this," Daw says. "If this was to
flop badly, then the incentive for the band to invest time into doing future ones
isn't as attractive."

I did my part - normal CD, double, Best Buy 3 CDs (incl. interview) and the
10 track version from the US. Japan version in a week or so.

Date: May 21, 2010 21:46

TooTough

flop badly, then the incentive for the band to invest time into doing future ones
isn't as attractive."

You cheap b*stard! What about the super deluxe set? What about the 'standalone' double vinyl?
You have a lot of nerve calling yourself a Stones Fan!grinning smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:48

treaclefingers
TooTough

isn't as attractive."

You cheap b*stard! What about the super deluxe set? What about the 'standalone' double vinyl?

You mean, if Exile flops...it´s all my fault?

>grinning smiley<

Date: May 21, 2010 21:51

TooTough
treaclefingers
TooTough

isn't as attractive."

You mean, if Exile flops...it´s all my fault?

>grinning smiley<

It's about diggin' deep baby....giving 'til it hurts....as Keith would say, "Alright, let's cut the crap"...what is that from, Flashpoint?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home