Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Soul Survivor - Alternate take
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:13

This Song has really captured my attention! I've never heard Keith so blunt on a record! Must have been the free spirit at Nellcote. and it shows here and in the music overall.

Listening to this anew has really taken me back to that newness when I first became immersed in the Stones.

And listening close to the again to the music and words... this really is a mad, chaotic, stoned out, brillant, vibrant, rocking album of all time.

They truly are with out a doubt the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Soul Survivor - Alternate take
Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 20, 2010 07:28

The horn on this at the end is just wonderful! And I can't wait to see the interpretations of the lyrics. winking smiley

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 20, 2010 10:40

Man, I so dig this version. He is such a natural, sounds like he just rolled out of bed and fell into this groove. The man doesn't even need lyrics to bring the song to a climax: etcetera, etcetera, etCETRA!

Any one else notice the resemblance of Nicky's part to his playing on SFM? It did'nt make the final version.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-20 10:41 by Greg.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2010 11:32

Nice version, interesting to have. But Jagger's work makes the released one something else. In particular the soul surviiiiiiiiivor on the final crescendo.

C

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: May 21, 2010 16:24

Can anybody make out what Keith's lyrics are?

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:26

oldfan

They appear to be just a guide vocal. Some nonsensical verbiage. The above poster is correct that the track became the Great Unappreciated Stones Anthem after Jagger had his way with it. I find it intriguing that, like Keith's demo of Gimme Shelter, this version of Soul Survivor is the same basic track as the final version.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:28

My favorite bit is at the end... "Etcetera!... etcetera!... etcetera!,,,,, or at least I think that's what he's saying. Love it! Quite obviously never meant to be heard on cd, but whatever, it's fun to hear.

Posted by: oldfan ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:48

Jagger's lyrics and vocals put the icing on the cake!

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:36

There are interviews out now with Don Was, Jagger and Richards (each interviewed seperately) & I believe Keith said that his "etceteras..." actually made the final cut - I listened to the originals again and can't hear it though) Maybe it's buried beneath Jagger?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-21 23:47 by theanchorman.

Date: May 23, 2010 22:54

Keith going "etcetera" like that reminds me of Johnny Rotten.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:57

As interesting as this track is, it makes me think how great it would have been to have a "Soul Survivor" with a Keith vocal with the actual finished lyrics to the song. This is what I originally had hoped for when I read about this song with a Richards vocal.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:13

Leave the singing to Jagger on this one .

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:42

sounds like the same backing track to me. interesting, but doesn't even sniff the magnificence of the regular version....

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 23, 2010 23:57

oldfan

with thanks to Rockman
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 24, 2010 08:53

wow ...have i been singing this song wrong! lmao... thanks for the lyrics

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 24, 2010 14:21

His voice sounds like a mixture of Lou Reed and Gram Parsons!

Posted by: squando ()
Date: May 24, 2010 14:33

I'm sure it's just his blah blah guide vocal at some point that has been dropped on top of the final music mix or backing track if you will. I bet this was done so Keith had a song on the 'new' album.

Ridiculous really. It's horrible and does a great injustice to the one originally released - which is a masterpiece. It also shows how brilliant and underappreciated Jagger is/was as a songwriter.

Pity they didn't ditch this waste of time for the acoustic version of ADTL instead.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2010 14:38

squando
I'm sure it's just his blah blah guide vocal at some point that has been dropped on top of the final music mix or backing track if you will. I bet this was done so Keith had a song on the 'new' album.

The song may have has no melody or lyrics during it's recording, Keith put down an idea, Mick made it in to something better.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 24, 2010 15:31

His Majesty
squando

The song may have has no melody or lyrics during it's recording, Keith put down an idea, Mick made it in to something better.

I guess not only Mick J, but the whole band. In the spirit of Richards own words about the way they used to work.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:21

Funny, if one listens to it, Keith's lazy singing and unproper melody sketch, it is exactly a kind of Keith Richards song (especially rocker) to be found in his two solo records.

One can only imagine what Mick could have worked out of the songs of TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-26 21:23 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:22

Doxa
Funny, if one lisens it, Keith's lazy singing and unproper melody sketch, is exactly a kind of Keith Richards song (especially rocker) to be found in his two solo records.

One can only imagine what Mick could have worked out of the songs of TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER...

- Doxa

mhm. interesting point.

Date: May 26, 2010 21:31

In regards to Keith's wasted sounding voice - after hearing this alternate version - I wonder if Mick mimicked this style of Keith vocal for the opening verse of Rock's Off...

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:45

Keith's singing and lyrics here are unimportant. I think 2 things to be appreciated about the song come from this take: a better listen to what's going on musically as Keith's slurring and understated "singing" actually allow the band to shine through more on their instruments. And secondly, to show how when compared to the final version of the song you get an even greater appreciation for Jagger as a singer and lyricist.

"Soul Survivor" has been my favorite track on Exile for years and I am thrilled to have this. There's so much cool stuff going on here with the guitars and bass that I never noticed before. Only thing is I wish they had kept the horns in for the final version. The really add to it.

But for me, the real stars of this outtake version are Keith's guitars and Charlie's drumming. Holy shit, just talking about it makes me want to play it again. Where's my ipod??

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 21:48

no--keith isnt a vocalist. he is a backround-singer, and he is doing great!!!

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: May 27, 2010 01:38

is it a real alternate take or more a alternate mix? i´m not sure....

Date: May 29, 2010 12:34

FTC, it is the same take as official version.
While I agree with most Impostor says, I am glad they took those horns out. The pads throughout step on the slide a bit, and those high spits sound like they belong in Rock and a hard place.

Date: May 29, 2010 16:35

Palace Revolution 2000
While I agree with most Impostor says, I am glad they took those horns out. The pads throughout step on the slide a bit, and those high spits sound like they belong in Rock and a hard place.

It's not just the horns - there are a bunch of different guitar tracks in this one (or this one is mixed much differently than the original take)

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 29, 2010 17:54

theanchorman
Palace Revolution 2000

It's not just the horns - there are a bunch of different guitar tracks in this one (or this one is mixed much differently than the original take)

different mix and brings out keiths' guitars left and right , MT's in centre fade in

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: May 29, 2010 18:59

I ususally like Jagger's stuff better, but it's still always fun to hear Keith doing stuff. Those liking SS sung by Keith might like to seek out him singing "Almost Hear You Sigh" too.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 29, 2010 19:02

straycatblues73
theanchorman
Palace Revolution 2000

different mix and brings out keiths' guitars left and right , MT's in centre fade in

On the alternate version I only hear two main guitars, while on the released version they kept the open G rythm guitar and overdubbed a dozen more.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home