Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Old Songs With New Vocals Leave Bad Taste
Posted by: russr ()
Date: May 18, 2010 05:14

I just can't shake how much I don't like hearing Mick's current singing style over old backing tracks...

What's the point?

Is this how low they had to go to sell a new version of a great album that many have already bought 2-3 times?

I love Stones but I just don't get their thinking sometimes....

Anyone else feel this way?

Re: Old Songs With New Vocals Leave Bad Taste
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: May 18, 2010 05:45

Nope.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: May 18, 2010 05:49

Nope.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:12

Nope

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:14

I thought I would, but after hearing them, I don't.
I've had my feet in the 'cynic camp' over many things from 2005 until now, up to SAL. Is there conrtoversy associated with all of it? Yup. But I can turn that off in my head while listening to this stuff - which in my opinion sounds fine to me. I look forward to enjoying the new songs this summer.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:30

I Aint Signifying is the best track on the bonus disc. Good Time Women is a close second. All the other tracks stink. Pass The Wine? Plundered My Soul? These tracks just plain suck. New or old the bonus disc would barely pass as a record even if Vinyl Gang, Dandelion or Swinging Pig had released it themselves.

Signifyin does indeed rock.. I love it for the same reason I LOVE Under The Radar.. Stones at their best.

I hope Plundered My Soul never gets played live.

-Drake

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:42

Yes.

If I think of it as Exile OT, I get pissed.

If I see it as Tattoo You II, then I'm glad I can hear it. Still feel a bit irked though.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:51

nope

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 18, 2010 06:52

I don't really care.

I just think of these tunes as new Stones music. I would have preffered to see them released as a Tatoo You II type record, but in the end who cares?

Would it really have been that interesting to hear half finished tracks with no vocals on them? I much prefer to hear the songs in the form that they are in now.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 18, 2010 07:11

Until someone invents a time machine that enables Mick to sing with his 1971 voice, this will do just fine.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 07:21

Dancing In The Light was ruined from its instrumental glory. Following The River and So Divine (Aladdin Story) are not great. Everything else is great. I love pass the wine.

At first listen I hated so divine, now I just hate the mix on the drums. Every song sounds like it would have been in '72 besides some vocals from this past decade. I think the lyrics and overall vocal excentuations are right on par. Micks just got a deeper voice now and hasn't gotten over the vocal mixing on bigger bang yet.

Date: May 18, 2010 07:31

I'm sick of the trashing of Mick's voice.
He's almost 70!!

Does this mean on the next tour, they should only play songs from Steels Wheels and newer?

How about Dirty Work and up, that would serve us right?!

(on a separate subject, maybe Mick actually LISTENED to Dirty Work and thought "I'm not going to tour on the back of THAT album!")

Why can't people just enjoy what is, and the fact that they give enough of a sh*t to try and make actual songs out of musical leftovers?

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 07:33

treaclefingers
He's almost 70!!

Does this mean on the next tour, they should only play songs from Steels Wheels and newer?

(on a separate subject, maybe Mick actually LISTENED to Dirty Work and thought "I'm not going to tour on the back of THAT album!")

Why can't people just enjoy what is, and the fact that they give enough of a sh*t to try and make actual songs out of musical leftovers?

I'm happy, i'm really only upset about dancing in the light.

Date: May 18, 2010 07:59

chenry9195
treaclefingers
He's almost 70!!

I'm happy, i'm really only upset about dancing in the light.

Well, we're all free to like or dislike songs or what we hear. My only point is that this is the way Mick sounds...how can anyone get excited about the next tour, if they insist Mick has to sing circa 1972.
Nothing lasts forever, even cold november rain...(ok, more cliche, refering to another post!)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:05

Nope

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:12

yep

Date: May 18, 2010 08:14

StonesTod
yep
On the bright side, think of all the money your going to save by not buying any of the new material. Lucky you've been able to preview it!

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:25

russr
I just can't shake how much I don't like hearing Mick's current singing style over old backing tracks...

What's the point?

Is this how low they had to go to sell a new version of a great album that many have already bought 2-3 times?

Either you're not a true Stones fan or you haven't listened propper to the new songs.

Date: May 18, 2010 08:31

michrud
russr

What's the point?

Either you're not a true Stones fan or you haven't listened propper to the new songs.

i see. only TRUE stones fans like mick's over-enunciating, fakely emotive vocals. grafted over 4-decade-old backing tracks. and here i was thinking i was one of the good ones.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:33

what is a "true Stones fan" ?
I think it's simply his opinion.

I don't mind the new songs, great to have them in a day when the Stones are really doing nothing!
Micks voice reminds me too much of his recent solo stuff....but i can live with it.

Date: May 18, 2010 08:48

StonesTod
michrud
russr

What's the point?

i see. only TRUE stones fans like mick's over-enunciating, fakely emotive vocals. grafted over 4-decade-old backing tracks. and here i was thinking i was one of the good ones.
Look, the alternative is retirement, and perhaps that's what you'd prefer?
There is something to be said about retiring while your still on top, like the Beatles or Zeppelin.
I'm glad the stones stayed with it....I only became a fan in 1980, and by anyone's measure on this board, I was 8 years too late!
Happy to join when I did (a great 30 years) and forgive me for enjoying them, even when they sound to 'solo Mick'.
Old Habits Die Hard I guess...

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: May 18, 2010 08:51

were people sayin this when tattoo you came out? seriously asking cuz i was 8 yrs old and dont know. this is basically same thing cept many yrs have come and gone. as a long time die hard stones fan i think pms is the best single sinve start me up. i love it. micks voice sounds fine. love the guitars. its just a good groove. best stuff theyve done in many many yrs. and the track is super old. so that might be sayin something. imo undercover was last great stones album. stuff after was still good but def not up to par. pms gets back the old vibe. havent heard the rest, but im sure its good. too many crybabies on here. what in the world do u want these guys to do?? too many here want the stones to cater to them specifically. not gonna happen. enjoy them for what they are now. u dont like it then dont listen. its juat good rock and roll. stones are the stones and do what they wanna do. gonna go listen to pms again. love the vibe. mick still sounds great. shit, hes older than my dad and can still rock like no other. long live the stones

Date: May 18, 2010 08:52

treaclefingers
StonesTod
michrud
russr

What's the point?

There is something to be said about retiring while your still on top, like the Beatles or Zeppelin.
I'm glad the stones stayed with it....I only became a fan in 1980, and by anyone's measure on this board, I was 8 years too late!
Happy to join when I did (a great 30 years) and forgive me for enjoying them, even when they sound to 'solo Mick'.

you're forgiven, my son. say three hail mary's and may the good lawd shine a light...

Date: May 18, 2010 08:56

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
michrud
russr

What's the point?

you're forgiven, my son. say three hail mary's and may the good lawd shine a light...

Not to get personal S.T...but what keeps you remotely interested in the band then?
...and maybe its' not the band, but this board, which definitely has entertainment value.
I guess my question is, what is your expectation for a bunch of insanely rich old men?
If anyone has a problem, it isn't them...they're not on this board...they're getting laid.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:03

this bitching about the songs just goes on and on and on . use some simple logic if you don't like it, don't buy it. if you bought it and don't like it , don't play it just sell it or give it away. i like the songs and i can't wait for the cds to arrive

Date: May 18, 2010 09:05

thumbs up
ghostryder13
this bitching about the songs just goes on and on and on . use some simple logic if you don't like it, don't buy it. if you bought it and don't like it , don't play it just sell it or give it away. i like the songs and i can't wait for the cds to arrive
thumbs up
capitalism, for all it's flaws, can be a beautiful thing.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:16

Nope.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 18, 2010 09:18

At the moment:

Nope (Pass The Wine, Plundered My Soul, I Ain't Signifying, Dancing In The Light)

Yep (So Divine, Following The River)

... but I'm still listening, so things may change ...

And if you think the new Dancing In The Light is a crime, like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa, the original outtake is still available. Aladdin Story isn't a favourite of mine, but at the moment I like it better than So Divine.

Posted by: Stargroves ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:04

Half a loaf, russr, is a lot better than going hungry.

Some of the tracks work better than others for me. But then again, when I first bought Exile as a teenager who bought Some Girls as my first Stones album, I just didn't "get" Exile. As the wise Green Lady points out, things may change and the rest of it may just grow slowly and come into favour

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 18, 2010 10:21

It sure does (but I Like it)!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home