Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Loving Cup Alt version
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 14, 2010 15:16

I am actually surprised that the alternative version of Loving Cup is a totally different version than the one that has been bootlegged for ages, a.k.a. the Drunk Version.

Still there are bits and pieces that are remeniscent of this drunk version. Did the Stones do a Beatles Anthology here, making up a track out of umpteenth versions?

One more interesting thing (if you are an anorak like I am): Keith's guitar sound on this take of LC is exactly that of Honky Tonk Women studio version and live at Hyde Park. Does this mean we finally know the guitar and amp for HTW, namely Gibson ES-330 and HiWatt DR-103?

Mathijs

Re: Loving Cup Alt version
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 14, 2010 15:29

Had to look up "anorak" to find out if I am one too. I think so.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 14, 2010 15:30

I compared and it's a bit of a mix and match.The opening couple of minutes is the known vocal outtake but the vocals from what must be a different take come in.Also a couple of harmonys are either lost or added here and there,the second middle eight is edited out and the 'drunk' outro has been replaced.

Sounds cool thoughthumbs up

Date: May 14, 2010 15:45

still ill
I compared and it's a bit of a mix and match.The opening couple of minutes is the known vocal outtake but the vocals from what must be a different take come in.Also a couple of harmonys are either lost or added here and there,the second middle eight is edited out and the 'drunk' outro has been replaced.

I am not sure, most of what I hear is not the well known drunk version, just some bits are equal. Aren't the vocals of the first minute different as well?

Mathijs

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 14, 2010 16:04

Its actually quite confusing.

If the 'drunk' version is the one with the slurred outro and the extra middle eight there are many similarities in the first 2 minutes or so.For a start all the instrumenatation is the same.Also most of Jaggers lines are the same,for example ,,when you ain't got none...nothing'' and ''what a beautiful buzz...bzzzz''although some harmonies have either been added or taken away

From the''i feel so humble'' section onwards there are more differences

If the drunk version is something else i'm even more lostsmiling smiley

I'm sure someone else can disect it better than me though

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:09

The drunk outro needed to be there.

Just One Drink....and I Fall Down Drunk.

Date: May 14, 2010 17:17

Mathijs
still ill

I am not sure, most of what I hear is not the well known drunk version, just some bits are equal. Aren't the vocals of the first minute different as well?

Mathijs

i hear what sounds like a definite edit around the 2:12 mark, the vocals sound spliced together between just one drink-what a beautiful buzz. the "what a beautiful buzz" line comes in too soon.

Posted by: ThankGod ()
Date: May 14, 2010 17:47

kissinc***incannes
i hear what sounds like a definite edit around the 2:12 mark, the vocals sound spliced together between just one drink-what a beautiful buzz. the "what a beautiful buzz" line comes in too soon.

Yep i hear that too. It certainly sounds very clumsy - if its a splice then its a poor job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-14 17:48 by ThankGod.

Date: May 14, 2010 18:04

ThankGod
kissinc***incannes

Yep i hear that too. It certainly sounds very clumsy - if its a splice then its a poor job.

haha! yeah, i know! oh well, maybe for some reason they thought it would provide an added an "exileness" to the track instead of sounding clumsy (which it definitely does).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2010 18:21

Having just compared them both side by side, ie bootleg on left, exile deluxe on right, it seems atleast for the first few minutes that things are simply clearer, maybe with some slight mix differences, but both feature exact same vocal and instrumental performances/takes.

The clarity of the exile deluxe version is probably misleading us that the first few minutes are different, but there is obviously an edit at the aforementioned 2:12, not sure if this goes to a different take after the edit or not as I haven't compared what follows. Whether that was done at the time or for this release is open to debate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-14 18:24 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: May 14, 2010 20:37

Im not sure, if the first half really is EXACTLY the same as the drunk version. To me it seems more like a similar approach (e.g. the slow tempo), but not like the same take. My impression is that the vocal phrasing is different in places even within the first half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-14 20:39 by Greenblues.

Date: May 14, 2010 22:12

Greenblues
Im not sure, if the first half really is EXACTLY the same as the drunk version. To me it seems more like a similar approach (e.g. the slow tempo), but not like the same take. My impression is that the vocal phrasing is different in places even within the first half.

The first 2 minutes 12 are the exact same take, vocals included, as the bootleg version. There's edit/splice at that point then things get different.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 14, 2010 22:15

great track!!! a grand addition to the catalog. a gem. woozy and bloozy and warm and raw and real fine. mighty fine. lots of soul and heart. grand news having this one amidst officially released product now. just awesome version imo.

Date: May 14, 2010 22:19

Beelyboy
great track!!! a grand addition to the catalog. a gem. woozy and bloozy and warm and raw and real fine. mighty fine. lots of soul and heart. grand news having this one amidst officially released product now. just awesome version imo.

Well, the edit raises some questions. Was it done at the time, if so it's badly done. Was it done for this release, if so why?

I was hoping it would either be a completely different take from the bootleg version, or the bootleg version in perfect quality. Seems it's a combination of the 2, with the addition of a bad edit which makes the lyrics kinda wonky and sticks out like a sore thumb once you know where it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-14 22:36 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:12

Mathijs
still ill

Mathijs

yes they are different. However I have no idea about amps/guitar that is used.
Seems like it could be a take before or after the "drunk" version...I wonder how many are out there!?

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 15, 2010 05:56

whatever they did to it, i like the result. more stonesy than the smooth version on exile.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 06:15

much better than the bootleg drunk version

Date: May 15, 2010 12:17

Guys, the first 2.12(atleast) is exactly the same take as the bootleg version. There's then an edit at that point, not sure if what follows is the same(further editing?) as the bootleg version or not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-15 12:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 15, 2010 12:28

>> the first 2.12(atleast) is exactly the same take as the bootleg version <<

i haven't listened to it yet, but: HM, i believe you :E

Date: May 15, 2010 12:30

with sssoul
>> the first 2.12(atleast) is exactly the same take as the bootleg version <<

i haven't listened to it yet, but: HM, i believe you :E

Some people seem to be missing that point. grinning smiley

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 15, 2010 14:44

His Majesty
Greenblues

The first 2 minutes 12 are the exact same take, vocals included, as the bootleg version. There's edit/splice at that point then things get different.

it's mixed very differently then, isn't it? the "nothing" line should be louder and all... I don't know if I like it more but it's great to hear!

Date: May 15, 2010 15:00

Mixed slightly differently, but the superior quality will also add to the difference in sound.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:24

I like that version of LC very much. The sound of the guitars is fanfastic. I believe that was the sound Papa John Philips was after when he asked the Stones to help him with his CD in 1977. Some of the tracks on PapaJohn's album have the same guitar tone.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Voja ()
Date: May 15, 2010 15:32

Thanks for anorak. Rest is pushing the knob.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2010 16:04

Listening to it now from the NPR link.

Listening to how Charlie sounds drunk to begin with, that's no edit, that's just really sloppy drumming. The whole take is hilarious. Very messy.

Date: May 15, 2010 19:52

skipstone

Listening to how Charlie sounds drunk to begin with, that's no edit, that's just really sloppy drumming. The whole take is hilarious. Very messy.

Noone is saying that's an edit, but the editing is as messy as the playing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Argh I'm pisssssed off about this out-fake, it was the deciding factor in whether I'd buy this thing or not. Seems as if everything on the bonus disc, including the supposedly un overdubbed tracks have been messed with. thumbs down

Back to the bootlegs then. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-15 20:02 by His Majesty.

Date: May 16, 2010 21:44

His Majesty
skipstone

Noone is saying that's an edit, but the editing is as messy as the playing. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Argh I'm pisssssed off about this out-fake, it was the deciding factor in whether I'd buy this thing or not. Seems as if everything on the bonus disc, including the supposedly un overdubbed tracks have been messed with. thumbs down

Back to the bootlegs then. >grinning smiley<

And what do you think about Keith's sound on Loving Cup? Close to HTW?

Mathijs

Date: May 16, 2010 21:46

Mathijs

And what do you think about Keith's sound on Loving Cup? Close to HTW?

Mathijs

Oh yes, the guitar sound is topper most! I have no problem accepting they used same set up for both tracks.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 16, 2010 22:10

kissinc***incannes said it sounds like an edit. Etc.

I still don't know who this Noone is - haven't seen any of his posts spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 16, 2010 22:17

skipstone
kissinc***incannes said it sounds like an edit. Etc.

I still don't know who this Noone is - haven't seen any of his posts spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

grinning smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home