Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I've Really Had This On My Mind
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 1, 2009 01:34

The End of the Mick Taylor Golden era is GHS for me because of the departure of Jimmy Miller. But IORR just busted new gates and kicked out the shards of the junk-dripping ballads.

I LOVE IORR! I remember going to buy it in October 1974 at The Record Shoppe in Redmond on vinyl for less than $5.00. At the time I thought IORR was GHS all dusted off, enough of the mumbled vocals, guitars buried so deep in the mix.

Well, now I listen to GHS and I hear when I didn't 36 years ago: SOUL. IORR was the first really PROCESSED album by the Stones ever. Now, that's now a bad thing, but I think IORR far more a transitional record than B&B. (Although I am the bib B&B fan there is! all those thick chunky dance tunes, and a couple of sentisive ballads asl well.)

I just really wanted to throw this out to everybody who as an opinion about this because I've never had a chance to breathe new life into these thoughts.

Re: I've Really Had This On My Mind
Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: February 1, 2009 02:45

GHS is an album that "got lost in between" what ever other 70"s albums.
I really like GHS. That is one of the all times best Stones Albums. Just listen to WInter for example. Don't put this aside just because Exile is from the same area.

In my opinion GHS is even better that Exile, well you can never argue about personal taste, can you

But, take your time and listen to Goats in full, on high volume, you will like it

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-01 02:46 by Jan Richards.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 1, 2009 03:22

Jan Richards
In my opinion GHS is even better that Exile, well you can never argue about personal taste, can you

damn...and i was just about to

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: February 1, 2009 04:15

Jan Richards
GHS is an album that "got lost in between" what ever other 70"s albums.
I really like GHS. That is one of the all times best Stones Albums. Just listen to WInter for example. Don't put this aside just because Exile is from the same area.

But, take your time and listen to Goats in full, on high volume, you will like it

I have to agree to a certain extent, but not to everything here!
GHS has it's moments but EOMS is a greater rock album. GHS is a bit weak on some tracks. Winter though is a great song which would be great to hear live on the next tour!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Date: February 1, 2009 04:25

GHS is such a great album; good atmosphere too. Somehow it is a warm record.
But Exile has no weak trax; not one. GHS does have a couple weak spots.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 1, 2009 04:44

goats is a great album, cant understand what all the fuss is about

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 1, 2009 05:43

Always loved GHS. It is indeed "one of my favorites," but then there are so, so many. Including IORR.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: February 1, 2009 06:55

Pushed to choose, GHS blows away IORR for sheer feel and soul. That album captures a vibe or a moment in time, much like the way Exile, and Sticky seem to as well.

Part of it is the production; I've never liked the sound of IORR.

Even if the songs on GHS feel unfinished, like "Hide Your Love," there's nothing on there that I would skip. Whereas I find myself jumping over "If You Really Want to Be My Friend" and "Short and Curlies pretty regularly.

Posted by: British Columbia ()
Date: February 1, 2009 08:54

GHS and IORR are of pretty much equal substance. They're both pretty good albums, but nowhere as good as the previous 4 studio efforts.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 1, 2009 09:11

Eh, Exile has some clunkers on it. One for certain that should have been left off is I Just Wanna See His Face. Sweet Black Angel is another one that could have been left off.

GHS - fantastic album. It has a better vibe than IORR or anything past it with possible exception to Tattoo You.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: February 1, 2009 13:49

GHS is a great album IMHO but it seems to be underrated by many including Keith. I remember reading an interview with him in which he said it sounded OK when it was on but was just marking time.

The opening track of IORR, If You Can't Rock Me shocked me when I first heard it as it was the first "rock" song (as opposed to rock 'n' roll) that I'd heard the from the Stones. When I say "rock" I mean mainstream rock that was everywhere in the 70s and produced by inferior bands (well, dangerously close to it anyway). It's accceptable as a track but not as the OPENING track to a Stones album. For me, it was the end of the Stones' long and wonderful period of quality only interrupted by Between the Buttons.

I'm not saying there haven't been great things from the band since 1974 but GHS marked the end of an era.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 1, 2009 14:28

TeaAtThree
Pushed to choose, GHS blows away IORR for sheer feel and soul. That album captures a vibe or a moment in time, much like the way Exile, and Sticky seem to as well..

I'd buy that view too.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: February 1, 2009 14:36

They're both good, GHS really has grown on me over the years - and certainly they're the equal of anything being released right now. I agree with the original post: GHS is dripping with its own soulful groove: Winter, Hide Your Love, Coming Down, 100 Years Ago... I could listen to them over and over.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 1, 2009 16:39

Are there any remasters of GHS that are more clear sounding than the original?

Also, regarding IORR, the sound of Ain't Too Proud To Beg is just right - perfect!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home