Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is it really Mick Taylor?
Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:09

For the record, I just put out the question, i didn't claim it is Ronnie. I just asked if it was possible, since the song in my ears sounds a lot like Ronnie stuff, and the sound in the guitar has the precise Ronnie tone. No need to be rude or wise guys.... One could easily reply that "some" people hear what they are told they are hearing, and that they are not capable of making their own opinion on the matter, but I'll drop that. winking smiley

By the way, it wouldn't be the first time the credits are not right.

Roll on, and enjoy the song, no matter who are playing. smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:15

NedKelly, that was a fair issue you brought up! thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:27

Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
NICOS
Where is Mathijs when we need him?

Not this time.
It's both Taylor on lead & rhythm.
No Keith involved. 100% shure.

How can you be? Maybe Keith is only on acoustic? I think rhythm is Jagger.

What's wrong with people telling the facts?
Amen!

Nothing. Not sure why you asked this. I am just curious to know how you are "100% sure"?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 20, 2010 01:32

NICOS
Mathijs, in the end, is like all of us is just expressing an opinion and isn't necessarily always correct. As for my opinion, I can see what you mean about the guitar sounding like Ron Wood's Face's era stuff, but it lacks the "ragged" quality that was part of his sound then. The picking here is very clean and precise and sounds like it's being played sans pick, and these are features of Mick Taylor's playing nowadays.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 20, 2010 02:28

71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
NICOS

Not this time.

Amen!

Nothing. Not sure why you asked this. I am just curious to know how you are "100% sure"?

.... Plus the fact that a hardcore Taylor fan like me ,or even an ass can hear the difference between Jagger's,Richard's,Woodies and Taylor's guitar playing after 36 years.Don't you?
My two cents.

Date: April 20, 2010 03:26

Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
71Tele
Amsterdamned
NICOS

Not this time.

Amen!

.... Plus the fact that a hardcore Taylor fan like me ,or even an ass can hear the difference between Jagger's,Richard's,Woodies and Taylor's guitar playing after 36 years.Don't you?
My two cents.

Yes, I can hear. But differences on rhythm open G between Taylor, Jagger, and Richards is far more subtle. How many people thought it was Keith on "Stop Breaking Down" for example? My point was how can you be so sure it's Taylor on rhythm when record credits all three players on guitar?

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: April 20, 2010 03:48

It is certainly Mick Taylor.
Because It resembles "Tops" "Dead Flowers" "Tumbling Dice live version"

[cartoonstones.blogspot.com]

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:34

Nice cartoon there. You have more?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 06:59

Amsterdamned
My two cents.
i must be an ass because there are a few occasions where i can't tell who is playing what on a few tracks

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 20, 2010 08:56

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's really Brian!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 20, 2010 09:25

It's Jimmy Page!!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 20, 2010 09:39

it's a wigless Jeff Beck....

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: April 20, 2010 10:27

NedKelly
For the record, I just put out the question, i didn't claim it is Ronnie. I just asked if it was possible, since the song in my ears sounds a lot like Ronnie stuff, and the sound in the guitar has the precise Ronnie tone.

I jumps out as Taylor to me. I haven't heard that style of playing on a Stones track since 1974. And somebody reported in another thread that Taylor sang a couple of line from PMS at one of his gigs last week.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:02

Since both Jagger and Richards are credited with guitar, and there's only two distinct guitars audible to my ears (through I've only heard the song three times), it is probably not Taylor on rhythm.

The intro reminds me a little of Winter (which was probably Jagger on rhythm).

It *could* be that Richards isn't really present on the song, though they wanted him in the credits to make it look like a "proper" Stones tune.

What I'm really interested in knowing is if it's a new or old Mick Taylor lead. I've alwayed leaned towards new. ChrisM's point about it sounding like it's done without pick is interesting. I assume he played with a pick in the '70s?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:12

Mick Taylor gigs enough these days. Shouldn't be too long before someone asks him the question directly.

Date: April 20, 2010 12:24

Silver Dagger
Mick Taylor gigs enough these days. Shouldn't be too long before someone asks him the question directly.

And he will say the same as me.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 20, 2010 15:04

LieB
Since both Jagger and Richards are credited with guitar, and there's only two distinct guitars audible to my ears (through I've only heard the song three times), it is probably not Taylor on rhythm.

quote]

I heard three. Electic lead, electric rhythm and acoustic.

Date: April 20, 2010 15:18

we dont need mathijs to tell us what are ears already know .anyone that has followed the stones over the years knows what taylor's guitar sounds like ditto for ronnie wood's sound and ditto for keith's guitar .it's all right in front of us .

Date: April 20, 2010 15:23

The song is Wood/Faces-like. But there is no doubt Taylor plays the stuff, although his phrasing is a bit different. His bends and tone remains the same, imo.

Date: April 20, 2010 15:27

Acoustic guitar is Gram Parsons, Drums Jimmy Miller, Bass Keith Richards, Lead guitar is Mick jagger, Lead vocals John lennon

Date: April 20, 2010 15:28

Elton John on piano

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 20, 2010 15:36

KeithNacho
Elton John on piano

Good weed, KeithNacho?

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 20, 2010 16:03

All instruments are played by Rosemary Brown.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 20, 2010 16:12

Its certainly MT

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 20, 2010 22:53

ChrisM
NICOS
Mathijs, in the end, is like all of us is just expressing an opinion and isn't necessarily always correct. As for my opinion, I can see what you mean about the guitar sounding like Ron Wood's Face's era stuff, but it lacks the "ragged" quality that was part of his sound then. The picking here is very clean and precise and sounds like it's being played sans pick, and these are features of Mick Taylor's playing nowadays.

Amen to that.

My 2 cents: this track and Taylor is produced in a modern way, and hence sounds a bit like Ronnie and the Faces in the best Faces days. The Faces have always sounded more crips than the Stones, and the sound of this track indeed resembles some good old Faces.

Open G is 100% Keith Richards. It has all the signature timing of 70's open G that even Richards himself can't do anymore. It has many simularities with '72/'73 open G tracks like Tumbling Dice and Tops with all the little intricate runs he plays.

Jagger no way could play like this in '72, and I am sure the bass, drums and rhythm guitar are vintage. The way they interlock is almost impossible to do in an overdub. My best guess is that this track is edited down from some very long jam of Wyman, Watts and Richards, with all else being overdubs, or Taylor's guitar edited down as well.

Jagger is on acoustic, as far as I can tell.

Mathijs

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:24

Well, then I guess the matter is all settled. It sounds like Ronnie and Faces, but it's not.
Now, let's enjoy the song while we wait for the others. I have a feeling they are worth waiting for. smiling smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:39

Mathijs
ChrisM
NICOS

Amen to that.

My 2 cents: this track and Taylor is produced in a modern way, and hence sounds a bit like Ronnie and the Faces in the best Faces days. The Faces have always sounded more crips than the Stones, and the sound of this track indeed resembles some good old Faces.

Open G is 100% Keith Richards. It has all the signature timing of 70's open G that even Richards himself can't do anymore. It has many simularities with '72/'73 open G tracks like Tumbling Dice and Tops with all the little intricate runs he plays.

Jagger no way could play like this in '72, and I am sure the bass, drums and rhythm guitar are vintage. The way they interlock is almost impossible to do in an overdub. My best guess is that this track is edited down from some very long jam of Wyman, Watts and Richards, with all else being overdubs, or Taylor's guitar edited down as well.

Mathijs

I think this is exactly right. The electric rhythm is certainly keith. It sounds to me like there may well be both vintage and new Taylor.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:57

....all I know...it's music to my ears....love the track love it more each time I play it.

Date: April 21, 2010 04:42

Mathijs
ChrisM
NICOS

Amen to that.

Mathijs

Mathjis, are you serious? Jagger played on Stop Breaking Down and Tumbling Dice. Why on earth couldn't he play on this?

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: April 21, 2010 06:40

Hello JumpingKentFlash.
Thank you for reading my cartoon.

Hello 71Tele & Mathjis.
Because I am a Japanese, I am poor at English.
But I love that I read "Tell Me".

I think like this.
Rhythm guitar open G Jagge & Lead Guitar Taylor
"Plundered My Soul"
"Stop Breaking Down"
"Sway"
"Jivin Sister Fanny"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home