Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: The Rolling Stones “Exile on Main Street Deluxe Edition”: First listen
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 10, 2010 00:36

Sway714
I meant sonically worse than other songs on the radio.
That's still not very reassuring. Much of today's music is compressed to death during mastering... They never did this to The Rolling Stones - UNTIL A Bigger Bang came along. I still think the crappy mastering contributed to me hating that album.
But anyway, just because everyone else does it too doesn't make it right.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 10, 2010 02:11

StonesTod
Gazza
WeLoveYou
I quite like the idea of the Stones using outtakes and then dressing them up for release. They could come up with a lot of 'new' material this way. Surely it doesn't matter if the outtakes are old...they created the material, what they do with it is up to them.

They could use 1960s outtakes and add new instrument / vocal parts....could be interesting, and we'd get a few good new albums this way.

I'd rather they didnt, for the simple reason that it just shows they're bereft of ideas. Especially songs recorded decades earlier. They were a different band then.

Personally, I'd far rather they released previously unavailable songs 'as is' IF they are finished or very close to it - but only on the understanding that they ARE presented and packaged as 'archive material'.

However, as I said before, with Exile its a bit different to other Stones albums. More songs were released on this album than on any other record they ever made. Instead of dropping songs to come out with a final 10 or 12 for a single LP they were probably throwing on whatever they had to fill up a double. It also came out at a time when they were prolific and were releasing a new record every year or so. So, to expect them to have a lot of finished songs left over from a DOUBLE album is ludicrous - especially considering with the way the band makes records - including this one - ie, the fact that most of the vocals were probably only completed AFTER they went to LA, as were the contributions of a lot of the external musicians on the record.

When you look at it from that perspective, whilst its IMO their greatest album, if you're going to pick an album to launch what will hopefully be the first of many reissues with bonus material, 'Exile' is really not a good choice because its probably one of their albums that has the fewest number of unreleased but finished songs. That said, a few more alternate versions of the released songs would have been nice.

So, in this case, adding some 'fairy dust' to a few songs is understandable, so long as its not too excessive.

i've got a headache. are we happy or not? i need simple statements.

In short - its not perfect, but its close to being as good as we're gonna get. Me happy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 10, 2010 02:44

me not so much

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 10, 2010 04:38

StonesTod
Rip This
.....well that's as a rhetorical question.....

ok, well how about a rhetorical answer?

...maybe.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 12, 2010 15:11

This is cool site.
You'd better learn or translate Japanese.smiling bouncing smiley
Autopsy Exile

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 12, 2010 15:15

My current screen saver:

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 13, 2010 16:47

Gazza
WeLoveYou
I quite like the idea of the Stones using outtakes and then dressing them up for release. They could come up with a lot of 'new' material this way. Surely it doesn't matter if the outtakes are old...they created the material, what they do with it is up to them.

They could use 1960s outtakes and add new instrument / vocal parts....could be interesting, and we'd get a few good new albums this way.

I'd rather they didnt, for the simple reason that it just shows they're bereft of ideas. ...

We all know that they are bereft of ideas - it's hardly a secret.

I still think this would be a great idea. They could release a dozen albums or more and it would be mostly good stuff. Yes, the songs were outtakes and considered sub-standard at the time, but they will still be light years better than most material they released in the last couple of decades.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 13, 2010 17:02

What the Stones have considered to be sub-standard at the time has always left me aghast - because a number of songs on some albums that were more "current" were not and never have been as interesting or as good as...the left off sub-standard tunes.

At least the ones I've heard.

And that squarely lies on Mick Jagger's shoulders and ego.

Date: April 13, 2010 17:17

skipstone
What the Stones have considered to be sub-standard at the time has always left me aghast - because a number of songs on some albums that were more "current" were not and never have been as interesting or as good as...the left off sub-standard tunes.

At least the ones I've heard.

And that squarely lies on Mick Jagger's shoulders and ego.

good point. but also keith shoulders some of that blame as well. each probably have their own pet songs while recording (like "Let's Go Steady" during ER sessions) and that clash of egos leads to compromising of quality and lesser tracks on the finished release. but sometime its probably they cut a track and it either doesn't fit the feel of the album, it sounds too much like another cut or they record so many songs that by the time of putting the album together they pick the most finished songs. i'd say since '73 or so mick and/or keith have not always made the best choices in their album song selections. One song I'd like them to add vocals to would be "Wind Call" what a great track that is-funky, loose, a great Keith riff and nice slide work from Mick T.

Date: April 16, 2010 22:05

Apologies if this has been posted on another thread. I cant be arsed looking through them all.

If it hasnt, then enjoy (hopefully).

Samples (not quite hi-fi quality, but listenable enough) from the bonus CD which were kindly linked by OD On Exile over on Rocks Off this afternoon ( [rocksoff.org] )

'Pass The Wine', 'I Aint Signifying', 'Dancing In The Light', 'So Divine (Aladdin Story)', 'Following The River' and 'Title 5'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 22:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:14

Nice!!!! Thanks for the samples Gazza!

Posted by: Mister J ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:15

thanx, Gazza, you're a nice guy.

Date: April 16, 2010 22:19

You're welcome. Just to clarify, I didnt upload these and dont have the songs myself!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 22:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: CharliesSinger ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:19

Cheers Gazza!

Title 5 sounds interesting

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 16, 2010 22:20

Gazza
You're welcome. Just to clarify, I didnt upload these and dont have the songs myself!
Understood....but we don't either and love getting to hear them! WOW can't wait to get the full songs and in cd version! Really wish they had put the bonus tracks on LP vinyl also

Date: April 16, 2010 22:23

Love how 'Dancing in the Light' sounds. Great to get a version with lyrics.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:01

Have to say that Pass The Wine is very, very Exile sounding.

Is it just me or do most of these songs sound like they have new vocal? Well, maybe not Dancing in the Light.

Thanks for posting, they all sound great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-16 23:08 by Hillside Blues.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:23

I'm already hooked on Pass The Wine. That riff is just amazing!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:33

Thanks Gazza! I am surprised how much I like these. Pass the Wine is definitely a new vocal and lyric, but I Ain't Signifying is 100% original vocals and music.

Jesus, they could have had another Tattoo You on their hands if they had just dug up a few more songs, done some more overdubs and released these as a proper album instead of a "bonus disc". Oh well, we should be glad to get this regardless.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: April 16, 2010 23:34

Following The River sounds like Jagger on his Goddes album!
Same vocal (nasal) sound...

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:02

Title 5 seems to be quite a little rock and roller

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 17, 2010 00:02

So many Exile threads, so little time...

Date: April 17, 2010 00:23

"Pass the Wine"...it sounds like Jagger was going to wring another "Don't Call me Up" out of those changes at all costs.
I think it is interesting what he did with "Alladin Story" since we've heard that instrumental so many times.
And "Dancing in the Light"..if this is the real DITL then what was the other one?

Date: April 17, 2010 00:32

Palace Revolution 2000
And "Dancing in the Light"..if this is the real DITL then what was the other one?

Not sure what you mean. The other one is an instrumental take of this song (albeit a shorter take). Musically they're very similar.

The instrumental versions of Aladdin Story and Dancing In The Light that were released before are not the same takes that are being released. The timings are significantly different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-17 00:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:15

Muddyw

Yes, agreed.

Pass the Wine sounds awesome to my ears, though.

Drew

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:23

[mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:26

Muddyw

yes.

Thank GOD for Plundered My Soul

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 17, 2010 01:41

much ado about nothing much?? once the hype and promo and initial excitement wears off a bit... ? ok... outakes. nice. remastering?? not good imo; harsh steely,,,i have much better eoms copies in different formats... nothing here, IMO, that beats tons of great exciting boots we already have... a marketing extravaganza...lip service to the 'original sound' and vibe... but fresh loudness wars remastering not interesting to me... not authentic; not warm.. new pms vocal; strained, harsh over blown... the band??? wow, just cooks....ok spend your money and enjoy! but every now and then go to the less expensive original sound production versions...and enjoy this mega classic without the unfriendly steely harshness of the digital era....
ok it's loud on the radio. it's louder than the stones cd's i already have in my car... u know what that means to me??? nothing.

the original wins. production mastering, the original song lineup...the feel, ie... sincere intentional performances of songs they mega cared about, and Grooves they mega cared about...CARED ABOUT. CARED ABOUT. CARED.....
....the closeness of mega brilliance....ahhhhhh

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 19, 2010 12:44

so, is £99 the cheapest anyones seen the deluxe set listed at ?

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: April 19, 2010 13:32

Just read that the Japan Exile Super Deluxe set will have one additional track......

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1985
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home