Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: The Rolling Stones “Exile on Main Street Deluxe Edition”: First listen
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: April 9, 2010 02:50

Sway714
So it does not sound worse than any other songs played on rock radio today.
That's supposed to make me feel better?!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 9, 2010 02:54

good time woman spiffed up and released is worth it right there to me...

yeh always concerned about the by now very predictable saga of the volume wars etc..."remastering changes....ehfrickenhancements et. al.
concerning all along... thanks as always UrbanSteel.. i'm still in...
thumbs up

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 9, 2010 03:01

tatters
Sway714
barbabang
Thanks for the story UrbanSteel.

Too bad about the loudness, I don't see what is the point in that at all. It ruins the dynamics.

Going to buy it anyway. Want to support more archive releasesthumbs up

The reason for the LOUDNESS is so when the tracks get played on ( already over compressed radio ) the tracks hold up to the current trend of whatever mastering converters they are using today. ie: So it does not sound worse than any other songs played on rock radio today.

Will the new tracks even GET played on the radio? Rough Justice didn't get played on the radio. Not even on classic rock stations.
Rough Justice got played around here. Not much,but a bit. I'm sure PMS will get a bit of airplay.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 03:05

can't wait! This sounds very interesting!

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: April 9, 2010 04:43

For 20 years, everyone bitched because the Stones would not unzip the pants of their vaults. Now that they are unzipping, everyone keeps on bitching. I have every single track in traded circles and all of the releases, reissues, alternate remasters, etc., and I can't wait to get my hands on the new stuff, because whatever we have, we ain't got dis stuff, babies!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 05:19

Beelyboy
good time woman spiffed up and released is worth it right there to me...
thumbs up

Yup, I was thinking the same thing!

Thanks for posting UrbanSteel! You have given so much to this little community.>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-09 05:25 by NorthShoreBlues2.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 05:25

Yeah, well some "fans" here will never be satisfied, but I for one can't wait. I think the deluxe package looks beautiful, and the material sounds very interesting. YAY!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 9, 2010 06:14

whitem8
Yeah, well some "fans" here will never be satisfied, but I for one can't wait. I think the deluxe package looks beautiful, and the material sounds very interesting. YAY!
Some people are here just to criticize - wonder if they are Stones fans at all!!!

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 9, 2010 12:07

Uhm well if the legit release of some exile era tracks from the vaults doesn't make you happy as a Stonesfan yer probably not a very happy person to begin with. Let's just wait and see. Viva les Stones!

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 9, 2010 13:47

open-g
Is evrything awright in the critics section?

Had plenty to drink have you?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 9, 2010 15:00

Let's face it. These are unused tracks so they aint going to be as good as Exile.
I'm really looking forward to TATTOO YOU PART 2.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2010 15:39

thkbeercan
alladin story, i'm not signifying, dancing in the light are from the trident mixes, apparently with 2010 additions. these tracks weren't much to listen to way back when. don't see how new vocals or additional overdubs will make then any more attractive.

They're not. They are all significantly longer than the versions that have been bootlegged so far. Havent read anything to suggest that these feature 'new' lyrics or vocals either.

('I'm Not Signifying' wasnt actually one of the original 'Trident Mixes' demo tape anyway - it first circulated many years later)

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: April 9, 2010 16:27

I quite like the idea of the Stones using outtakes and then dressing them up for release. They could come up with a lot of 'new' material this way. Surely it doesn't matter if the outtakes are old...they created the material, what they do with it is up to them.

They could use 1960s outtakes and add new instrument / vocal parts....could be interesting, and we'd get a few good new albums this way.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 9, 2010 17:10

I'm looking forward to the extra tracks. I'll listen to the reissue.

If I'm going to bitch I'll do it after I have listened to them in a while - but the Stones have made it VERY CLEAR - these are strictly leftovers. Why anyone would be disappointed is beyond me. They weren't suitable for Sticky Fingers or Exile so so what.

Just hearing something other in the highest quality possible instead of some shit blizzard bootleg is more valuable to me than if it's "another great album" or not.

Posted by: Sway714 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 17:25

FreeBird
Sway714
So it does not sound worse than any other songs played on rock radio today.
That's supposed to make me feel better?!

I meant sonically worse than other songs on the radio.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 17:37

When the album is finally released, I think this reviewer will be proved to be way off base on one point: He implies the possibility that some of these are "modern" songs that are being put across as oldies. There is no reason at all to assume that is the case. It is absurd to think that the band has secretly reconvened in an underground bunker to record new "retro-style" songs.

Mick has admitted to new lyrics and vocals in at least one case but I have to believe the rest of the "sprucing up" will amount to little more than fairy dust.

Date: April 9, 2010 18:00

I wish the term "let's face it" was never invented.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2010 18:00

Hmm.. let's see if there is an accurate info in the actual sleeve/relaese of the new 'enrichmnents'... or might we have in our hands (for the years to follow) a new puzzle to figure out what is a modern adjustment and what is "original"... and, for example, was Mick Taylor really present there, or was it really an urban myth... etc.cool smiley

The Stones usually are never too vocal about details like that (who contributed and when) plus I think they might tentatively will leave the credits out just to keep the 'secret' or 'mystery' (just look at the original sleeves with question marks in creditions!)... But we surely will have lots of fun in quessing it by the help of our ears...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 9, 2010 18:09

stonesstein
For 20 years, everyone bitched because the Stones would not unzip the pants of their vaults. Now that they are unzipping, everyone keeps on bitching. I have every single track in traded circles and all of the releases, reissues, alternate remasters, etc., and I can't wait to get my hands on the new stuff, because whatever we have, we ain't got dis stuff, babies!

quit yer bitchin'

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: April 9, 2010 18:15

skipstone

Well, let's face it, it's here to stay. Face it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 9, 2010 18:43

WeLoveYou
I quite like the idea of the Stones using outtakes and then dressing them up for release. They could come up with a lot of 'new' material this way. Surely it doesn't matter if the outtakes are old...they created the material, what they do with it is up to them.

They could use 1960s outtakes and add new instrument / vocal parts....could be interesting, and we'd get a few good new albums this way.

I'd rather they didnt, for the simple reason that it just shows they're bereft of ideas. Especially songs recorded decades earlier. They were a different band then.

Personally, I'd far rather they released previously unavailable songs 'as is' IF they are finished or very close to it - but only on the understanding that they ARE presented and packaged as 'archive material'.

However, as I said before, with Exile its a bit different to other Stones albums. More songs were released on this album than on any other record they ever made. Instead of dropping songs to come out with a final 10 or 12 for a single LP they were probably throwing on whatever they had to fill up a double. It also came out at a time when they were prolific and were releasing a new record every year or so. So, to expect them to have a lot of finished songs left over from a DOUBLE album is ludicrous - especially considering with the way the band makes records - including this one - ie, the fact that most of the vocals were probably only completed AFTER they went to LA, as were the contributions of a lot of the external musicians on the record.

When you look at it from that perspective, whilst its IMO their greatest album, if you're going to pick an album to launch what will hopefully be the first of many reissues with bonus material, 'Exile' is really not a good choice because its probably one of their albums that has the fewest number of unreleased but finished songs. That said, a few more alternate versions of the released songs would have been nice.

So, in this case, adding some 'fairy dust' to a few songs is understandable, so long as its not too excessive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-09 18:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 9, 2010 18:54

skipstone

Let's face it most of us agree with you when you wished that 'let's face it' had not been invented.Unfortunately 'let's face it' has been invented so let's face it that 'let's face it' has been invented and that we are likely to hear 'let's face it' a lot more!

Date: April 9, 2010 19:57

gimme_shelter
skipstone

Well, let's face it, it's here to stay. Face it!

YOU can face itspinning smiley sticking its tongue out. I will not be part of nor participate in the 'let's', implying 'we'tongue sticking out smiley.

Date: April 9, 2010 20:23

Gazza
WeLoveYou

I'd rather they didnt, for the simple reason that it just shows they're bereft of ideas. Especially songs recorded decades earlier. They were a different band then.

Personally, I'd far rather they released previously unavailable songs 'as is' IF they are finished or very close to it - but only on the understanding that they ARE presented and packaged as 'archive material'.

However, as I said before, with Exile its a bit different to other Stones albums. More songs were released on this album than on any other record they ever made. Instead of dropping songs to come out with a final 10 or 12 for a single LP they were probably throwing on whatever they had to fill up a double. It also came out at a time when they were prolific and were releasing a new record every year or so. So, to expect them to have a lot of finished songs left over from a DOUBLE album is ludicrous - especially considering with the way the band makes records - including this one - ie, the fact that most of the vocals were probably only completed AFTER they went to LA, as were the contributions of a lot of the external musicians on the record.

When you look at it from that perspective, whilst its IMO their greatest album, if you're going to pick an album to launch what will hopefully be the first of many reissues with bonus material, 'Exile' is really not a good choice because its probably one of their albums that has the fewest number of unreleased but finished songs. That said, a few more alternate versions of the released songs would have been nice.

So, in this case, adding some 'fairy dust' to a few songs is understandable, so long as its not too excessive.

i've got a headache. are we happy or not? i need simple statements.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 9, 2010 20:36

.....well that's as a rhetorical question.....

Date: April 9, 2010 20:51

Rip This
.....well that's as a rhetorical question.....

ok, well how about a rhetorical answer?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 9, 2010 21:05

i can't wait for the release, if i have a problem with the remaster of the original album i'll just put the virgin cd in it's place

Posted by: redsock ()
Date: April 9, 2010 21:16

i remain 100% against any modern tinkering with the nearly 40-year-old tracks. i was originally thinking if the stones won't release these tracks "as is", then don't bother doing it at all.

but i'm feeling now that in order to get ANY new stuff from the vaults, the modern tinkering on some other outtakes is part of the price to pay. i still think it sucks and it's wrong, but maybe the "as is" versions of those will leak out later.

Date: April 9, 2010 21:26

redsock
i remain 100% against any modern tinkering with the nearly 40-year-old tracks. i was originally thinking if the stones won't release these tracks "as is", then don't bother doing it at all.

but i'm feeling now that in order to get ANY new stuff from the vaults, the modern tinkering on some other outtakes is part of the price to pay. i still think it sucks and it's wrong, but maybe the "as is" versions of those will leak out later.

bless you and your socks, whatever color they may be....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 9, 2010 23:03

"these tracks weren't much to listen to way back when"

Yeah so true. Boycott the EOMS reissue and get this boot from Japan [www.iorr.org] instead smiling bouncing smiley

(just kidding of course)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-10 00:38 by dcba.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home