Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2010 07:14

django
Mick and Linda 1978:

I was there! Great! Tucson '78.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 30, 2010 07:18

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="

"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

This was her first hit (with Stone Poneys), "Different Drum" written by Monkee Mike Nesmith.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: March 30, 2010 07:56

who took those pix from Tucson ?....I was there & took my own pix which I have yet to upload on my website....there was only one other photographer there as far as I know....mine are from the front/center...gave one to Linda a few years back....she loved it....peter

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 30, 2010 15:02

she is great ! hasten down the wind , heart like a wheel and simple dreams are masterpieces,You're No Good is a wonderful song, constructed beautifully. one of my all time favourites. waddy plays great on her albums as he would later on stevie nicks's

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 30, 2010 18:02

This is a nice one, taken from the Johnny Cash Show in 1969.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 30, 2010 21:42

gmanp
Her album with Dolly and Emmy was very, very good.

Both of them were. As was her album with just Emmylou.

Date: April 5, 2010 23:35

Since I’ve been enjoying the Capitol compilation so much, I have just ordered three more CD’s from Amazon: Hasten Down The Wind, Prisoner In Disguise and Simple Dreams. It’s so, so, great to discover new music and talents. She’s simply phenomenal.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: April 6, 2010 02:29

Slip her the sausage.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: April 6, 2010 02:38

this one was mentioned earlier...she was a libido-lifter in her day

Date: April 6, 2010 07:39

Reckon Mick slipped her his English breakfast sausage?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2010 07:58

Why off course.... One should never leave a lady lonely let alone hungry....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 6, 2010 08:50

studiorambo

Oh, don't, please. I like to think Mick didn't chase everything.. It might put me off.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 6, 2010 11:20

Amazing that Stones-fans listens to Linda Ronstadt. Any Helen Reddy fans here?

tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 6, 2010 11:32

You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, Come On you're no good. I Am Woman.

Date: April 6, 2010 12:31

Come On

I know what you mean, but I'm finding that my musical tastes are changing with age. I saw her performance with Johnny Cash on his show - posted by myself, earlier - and I was absolutely transfixed by her. After watching a few further performances, I just knew I had to get myself a compilation. I'm a sucker for a catchy melody, heart-felt lyrics, a yearning vocal and beautiful looks: she fits the bill, OK.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 6, 2010 12:38

[/quote]

I know what you mean, but I'm finding that my musical tastes are changing with age. I saw her performance with Johnny Cash on his show - posted by myself, earlier - and I was absolutely transfixed by her. After watching a few further performances, I just knew I had to get myself a compilation. I'm a sucker for a catchy melody, heart-felt lyrics, a yearning vocal and beautiful looks: she fits the bill, OK.[/quote]

Al, d'you know Emmylou Harris? Same kind of deal - I arrived late in digging her and it was her incredible Wrecking Ball album from 95 that did it - Neil Young, Hendrix and Lucinda Williams covers. Produced by Daniel Lanois with all his trademark echo in a wonderful mix. From there I worked backwards and now have about 20 of her albums. If you like Gram inspired country rock then look no further than Elite Hotel. You'll be knocked out.

Date: April 6, 2010 15:01

Nope, I haven't heard her music as of yet, Mr. Dagger. No doubt I'll check her out at some point, though.

I was, actually, looking for a decent Joan Baez career retrospective: could yourself or anyone else here recommend one?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:27

studiorambo
You're no good, you're no good, you're no good, Come On you're no good. I Am Woman.

No I know...tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 6, 2010 16:56

Big Al
Nope, I haven't heard her music as of yet, Mr. Dagger. No doubt I'll check her out at some point, though.

I was, actually, looking for a decent Joan Baez career retrospective: could yourself or anyone else here recommend one?

Not sure of a retrospective Al but her Diamonds and Rust is probably her last great album proper. The exquisite title song refers to her relationship with Bobby Z.

Here it is live in 75.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 6, 2010 17:15

Come On

Next thing you know we'll have a Celine Dion appreciation thread.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 6, 2010 18:20

Big Al

She did an out-of-tune version of "You've Got That Lovin' Feeling" in TAMI Show follow-up film, "The Big TNT Show" that was just awful. I saw a rare screeening of it at the old Beverly Canon Theatre back in the '70's, and everyone in there was howling with laughter, it was so bad.

As far as Linda, I think these days she's a little underrated, but in the '70's there was no hiding from her on the radio. She (or her management) had good instincts for the market. When the So Cal Rock ship was taking on water, she quickly moved on. But I thought her "punk" attempt (perhaps more New Wave) was pathetic, and while I respected her for stretching out into standards (excellent taste in working with the great Nelson Riddle) it always bothered me that those forays included photos of her looking like something from the '50's. If those songs are timeless, why not just do them looking the way you are, instead of playing dress-up?

I know her move into traditional Mexican folk music (sort of like coming out of an ethnic closet--"Hey everybody, I'm a Mexican!") pissed off a lot of her old fans, as did some political comments in recent years. But I call that brave, and I respect her for that and for being a helluva country (any one you choose!) singer.

As far as her version of "Tumbling Dice"....I used to call it a Crime Against Nature. But for every pre-fab song like that, and "Heat Wave" there's a "Blue Bayou" or "Heart Like a Wheel" to balance it out.

Someday I may have to buy something by her.

Date: April 6, 2010 20:02

sweetcharmedlife

Next thing you know we'll have a Celine Dion appreciation thread.

Celine has her place. I guess. She had a dedicated fan-base and must be doing something right, otherwise shouldn’t have sold bucket loads. However, Ronstadt possesses some of the credentials that obviously appeal to Rolling Stones fans, where as that warbling chipmunk probably doesn’t.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2010 20:24

My ex-fiance dragged me to see Celine back in the early to mid-90's, and I figured I was gonna be bored as hell. Must say, I was blown away. That lady can sing! Granted, she's not necessarily my cup of tea, but that concert still ranks in my top 20 shows ever!! Simply amazing.

As for Linda Ronstadt, I remember wanting Cry Like a Rainstorm for Don't Know Much - I never did pick up that one.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: April 6, 2010 22:47

How time marches on......it hasn't been kind.

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 7, 2010 12:38

Well, that's ageing for you. Seriously, though: she has gained weight- a lot of weight, in fact - but she looks OK facially, to me. Besides, I only picture her circa 1970 when she was an absolute goddess.

Stevie Nicks has gained weight, but she still looks great, IMO

Date: April 7, 2010 14:53

Big Al
Well, that's ageing for you. Seriously, though: she has gained weight- a lot of weight, in fact - but she looks OK facially, to me. Besides, I only picture her circa 1970 when she was an absolute goddess.

Stevie Nicks has gained weight, but she still looks great, IMO[/[/b]quote]

Yes, yes she does!!>grinning smiley<

Date: April 7, 2010 15:02

VoodooLounge13

I was always dismissive of the Buckingham/Nicks line-up - only really knew the Green-era hits - but after watching a few performances on YouTube, really fell for the Nicks and their music. I especially like Rhiannon, Sara, and Landslide: beautiful music. I think Ronstadt edges her vocally, though.

I'll post the video that got me hooked when I get home.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 7, 2010 18:49

Fingers
How time marches on......it hasn't been kind.

Who's that ???
Any credits ?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 7, 2010 18:59

Big Al
VoodooLounge13

I was always dismissive of the Buckingham/Nicks line-up - only really knew the Green-era hits - but after watching a few performances on YouTube, really fell for the Nicks and their music. I especially like Rhiannon, Sara, and Landslide: beautiful music. I think Ronstadt edges her vocally, though.
Not lately. Stevie can still sing great.

Date: April 7, 2010 19:38

Storms, Beautiful Child are two of my very favorite Fleetwood Mac songs. For me, I got into them with the Buckingham-Nicks line-up, so it's been very difficult for me to work backwards..... confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home