Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar effect on 'Gimme Shelter'?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 22, 2010 23:17

Does anybody know what Keith's using on the original recording for the intro guitar? Is it vibrato or tremelo, and perhaps even what pedal he uses?

On modern-day performances it sounds to me as if he is using a fairly standard tremelo pedal sound but but I am no expert on effects.

Re: Guitar effect on 'Gimme Shelter'?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 22, 2010 23:30

1 guitar with 2 signals(probably split with a y cable), one signal with tremolo effect the other without plus lovely reverb/echo thrown in. thumbs up.

The tremolo effect is most likely from the Triumph Silicon 100 amplifier. The same amp you see Keith using for Jumpin' Jack Flash promos and The Rock and Roll Circus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-22 23:34 by His Majesty.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 22, 2010 23:40

Nice, thanks His Majesty!! I always thought it was more of a nice underwatery effect than your standard tremelo pedal. Most likely vibrato you think?

Man, I'd love to get my hands on one of these amps.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 22, 2010 23:45

Listen to the GS multi track recording, things will be clear how they mixed the guitars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-23 00:00 by NICOS.

Date: March 22, 2010 23:56

theimposter
Nice, thanks His Majesty!! I always thought it was more of a nice underwatery effect than your standard tremelo pedal. Most likely vibrato you think?

Man, I'd love to get my hands on one of these amps.

Definitely tremolo ie volume fluctuation. thumbs up

Date: March 23, 2010 00:42

Right about the volume fluctuation.
Man, Bill's homemade bass sure looks funny in that picture.
But you know what is amazing? How badass Bill looked back then. He was another tall and cool one. I remember when I first got into the Stones; when I was still a kid and didn't know them at all; I thought Bill in the shades and the big black leather coat was always the coolest one.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 23, 2010 02:14

There's that blue/white Tele again....

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: March 23, 2010 02:17

i sometimes wonder if the chords were finger plucked on top of what ever effects they use. doesn't sound plucky enough to my ears for a pick.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 23, 2010 07:25

Strange how the tremelo effect, which was a huge influence on recordings not only of the Stones but other acts in the '60s, just sort of faded away by the mid-'70s (if not sooner) and now is rarely heard except sort of as a joke. The last good use I heard of it was that Smiths tune (How Soon Is Now?)..unless I'm missing something.

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: March 23, 2010 08:11

he is using a hallowbody with bigsby that was a copy of a gibson on the song.

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 23, 2010 13:09

tomk
Strange how the tremelo effect, which was a huge influence on recordings not only of the Stones but other acts in the '60s, just sort of faded away by the mid-'70s (if not sooner) and now is rarely heard except sort of as a joke. The last good use I heard of it was that Smiths tune (How Soon Is Now?)..unless I'm missing something.

Yes, it has become very associated with surf and rockabilly stuff, very '50s and '60s, and not much else. Tremolo was quickly replaced with wah-wah, delay and phasing effects as the hippest gimmick in the late '60s.

In the world of pop and punk you might hear more tremolo today, but often it's used in a kind of gimmicky way. Wah-wah has been kept a lot more "current" through the years and used by many different musicians (hard rockers as well as soul and funk players).

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: March 23, 2010 13:26

Am I right in thinking those Triumph amps are all-transistor? No valves?

Date: March 23, 2010 13:29

phelge
Am I right in thinking those Triumph amps are all-transistor? No valves?

They did valve amps too(Thermionic 100), but Keith used the solid state silicon 100 amp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home