Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Got LIVE if you want it!
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:11

grinning smiley

Just as you thought! I'm talking about the worlds greatest rockbands absolute best Live-album! Listened to it last evening and I couldn't imagine it was that good. Here we are talking energy and musicality from the young bandmembers, and lean an extra-ear to Keiths backup-singing on 19th nervous breakdown and Have you seen your mother..Brilliant! I put it on just for listening for Route 66, but I got 12 another rude rock-songs...any other fans of this early live-album here? Allright, soundquality is not the best but what counts in rock'n'roll...

Re: Got LIVE if you want it!
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:35

Sorry, but Got Live if You Want It was a horrible album. Almost unlistenable.

They should have left Fortune Teller alone, instead of adding a phony sound affects track of people screaming.

What next, put a laugh track on the rest of the album as well?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 17:35 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:41

I'm a bit confused. You put it on to listen to Route 66 and got another 12 songs including 19th Nervous Breakdown?

Route 66 is on the GLIYWI EP record - which comes from 1965.

19th Nervous Breakdown is on the GLIYWI LP - which comes from 1966.

Two different releases, with entirely different tracks.

The EP is marvellous. In my opinion the second best live release they've ever put out.

I'm with mitch on the 1966 live album though. Unlistenable and phony.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:42

This was my first Stones record at an early age, so it has sentimental value to me. I like the performances of the songs, but I agree with mitch about the listenability. It really is hard to enjoy, with the horrible edits and primitive overdubs. I do wish we could hear those performances for what they were, minus the screams and dubs... Particularly Lady Jane, which was really sweet sounding (even with Charlie crushing the tom-toms and cymbals throughout).

Date: February 27, 2010 17:44

Gazza
I'm a bit confused. You put it on to listen to Route 66 and got another 12 songs including 19th Nervous Breakdown?

Route 66 is on the GLIYWI EP record - which comes from 1965.

19th Nervous Breakdown is on the GLIYWI LP - which comes from 1966.

Two different releases, with entirely different tracks.

The EP is marvellous. In my opinion the second best live release they've ever put out.

I'm with mitch on the 1966 live album though. Unlistenable and phony.

Yeah, I found out when it doesn't showed up..and for Mitchfloridas comment: This album is not Simon & Garfunkel in the Park, and thanks God for that...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:47

Come On ,the most funny is that some days ago, I put my "Got Live If You Want It " vinyl on my turntable .It had been a long time -a very long time,let's say more than 15 years- since I had listened to it.

GLIYWI was the first live Stones vinyl I bought.
I have to admit that I loved it at the time I bought it. It was only later that I discovered it had been "pieced " and dubbed and that some tracks were recorded in studio with crowd screams dubbed & added in.

My favorite number was I've Been Loving You Too Long
As a naïve teenager,I thought girls were really screaming while Jagger sung....I was dreaming to be one of these girls.grinning smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-27 17:48 by SwayStones.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 27, 2010 17:51

What I find strange is (as stated above) the EP sounded so good and even the boots from the Paris Radio Bcasts are mixed better than the GOT LIVE album! It just seems they wanted to blast the vocal and not hardly pay attention to the music at all.

Date: February 27, 2010 17:53

I was a huge Stones fan when "Got Live If You Want It" was released in America. And what a disappointment. It was the first time I thought, wow, the Rolling Stones are really only in it for the money.

A sampling of their most recent work proves that I was right.

Date: February 27, 2010 17:59

mitchflorida
I was a huge Stones fan when "Got Live If You Want It" was released in America. And what a disappointment. It was the first time I thought, wow, the Rolling Stones are really only in it for the money.

A sampling of their most recent work proves that I was right.

I bought this album as a germanreleased Decca double-album around 1970, and it probably had 24 songs on it. The album I was listened to yesterday was a CD and of course it sounded horrible, it's live-rocknroll with the 1966s technique. What other good-sounding live-albums do you have from this year. Look at Beatles Live in Italy-album, it sounds even worser...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:00

If you can seek out a MONO copy of this album, then grab it. MILES AND MILES better than the stereo mix.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:04

Back in 1966 we had Stereo-records that we played on Mono-grammophones that had one speaker, and now we heave stereos with 7 speakers and wanted to find Mono-record...time is really upsidedown....

Date: February 27, 2010 18:12

The point is that the Rolling Stones knew it was a bad album but released it anyway to satisfy an album requirement from Decca.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:13

The mono mix is the one to get. Some decades ago, I played this album to my nephews friends who were all punks and claimed that everything before punk was just plain boring. I said that punk already happened ten years before...it left their mouths open...they could not believe what they were hearing!!!

Its the energy, baby, the raw energy. If you dont get this, you dont get GLIYWI.

Date: February 27, 2010 18:19

alimente
The mono mix is the one to get. Some decades ago, I played this album to my nephews friends who were all punks and claimed that everything before punk was just plain boring. I said that punk already happened ten years before...it left their mouths open...they could not believe what they were hearing!!!

Its the energy, baby, the raw energy. If you dont get this, you dont get GLIYWI.

YOU GOT IT! It is that ENERGY i'm talking about, not the lousy technique behind the sound...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:19

Although the LP with it's screaming girls is unlistenable to me, the gigs from that time period were pretty amazing. Boots like 'Really got live if you want it' and other shows from then could have been culled to present a better release. If you subtract the ballads and RnB tunes, you would have the world's first punk/rock live album and it would have caused even more of an uproar over the Stones:

Satisfaction, Get Off My Cloud, Not Fade Away, Last Time, I'm Alright, She Said Yeah, Under My Thumb, 19th N Breakdown, HYSYMB Standing in the Shadows. -Wow. Relentless, amazing energy.

I wonder if they realized this and emphasized the girls screaming and ballads to dampen the establishment's and law enforcement's outrage over them at the time. However they came to finalize the mix/release, it sure was a weird and curious decision to release the LP like that. I thought they might re-tool it back in '02 on the SACDs, but no, so I guess that's what we're left with.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:33

I have trouble listening to it but it does capture some of the early hysteria at a Stones show, musically it kinda sucks and it is mostly dubbed.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:38

aw, poor mitch--he tries to be a troll, and picks a thread where everyone agrees with him!

Date: February 27, 2010 18:38

slew
I have trouble listening to it but it does capture some of the early hysteria at a Stones show, musically it kinda sucks and it is mostly dubbed.

You can't be a fan of the original band, but thats allright with me..it's some good stuff done even after 1969...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:40

that some tracks were recorded in studio with crowd screams dubbed & added in.

List please ? Someone ?
Which tracks were recorded in studio + dubbs ??

Thanks in advance .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:43

I never cared for the album.Aren't some of the tracks studio cuts with audience screams dubbed on. Almost as dsgraceful as the Live Licks RO edit !

The EP is brilliant PUNK ROCK . Route 66 is incredible.

sc uk

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 27, 2010 18:50

Come On - I am a fan of the original band - I have actually been listening to the early stuff a lot recently but Got Live if you Want It is not a good album it's extremely poorly produced. There had to be some better material out there that they could have put out. Rour 66 and I'm Moving on are awesome early lieve Stones as is the BBC tracks You Better Move On, Roure 66, Cops and Robbers and Mona. I am not just one of the post 1969 fans I actually think in the studio that the most intersting period is 1964-1967 I did not say best but most intersting.

Date: February 27, 2010 19:00

slew
Come On - I am a fan of the original band - I have actually been listening to the early stuff a lot recently but Got Live if you Want It is not a good album it's extremely poorly produced. There had to be some better material out there that they could have put out. Rour 66 and I'm Moving on are awesome early lieve Stones as is the BBC tracks You Better Move On, Roure 66, Cops and Robbers and Mona. I am not just one of the post 1969 fans I actually think in the studio that the most intersting period is 1964-1967 I did not say best but most intersting.

Yeah, but what bothers were -I have trouble listening to it but it does capture some of the early hysteria at a Stones show, musically it kinda sucks and it is mostly dubbed.

Musically it was brilliant IMO. I don't care too much about sound, being a huge fan of Bob Dylans 'Roots of Tree' (the complete Basement tapes), and that's mostly only fragments of songs but still brilliant, about the best I have MUSICALLY...grinning smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:05

slew
I am not just one of the post 1969 fans I actually think in the studio that the most intersting period is 1964-1967 I did not say best but most intersting.

Yeah, those years were four dimensional, they cut it back to three dimensions in 1968 and after 1978 it is very much one dimension, Tattoo You notwithstanding.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:08

It's obvious that Fortune Teller was a studio recording, as was I've Been Loving You Too Long. I noticed that when I first bought it in 1966. That was very disappointing.

However, I have always love this album for the sheer energy, the screaming, the rawness of the songs. I think it captured the essence of a Stones performance back in the day. I have it in CD and never tire of listening to it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:30

DaveG
It's obvious that Fortune Teller was a studio recording

Yep - it was first released in the UK in 1964 on the Saturday Club compliation LP

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:30

Come On
grinning smiley

Just as you thought! I'm talking about the worlds greatest rockbands absolute best Live-album! Listened to it last evening and I couldn't imagine it was that good. Here we are talking energy and musicality from the young bandmembers, and lean an extra-ear to Keiths backup-singing on 19th nervous breakdown and Have you seen your mother..Brilliant! I put it on just for listening for Route 66, but I got 12 another rude rock-songs...any other fans of this early live-album here? Allright, soundquality is not the best but what counts in rock'n'roll...

I, for one, LOVED this album...fell in love with it the 1st time I heard it in the spring of '68. Very high energy to me too. I just wish that when they'd remaster this one, they'd get it right!! I didn't care for the 1st cd release, they totally butchered 'Satisfaction' IMHO
----------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:34

Blueranger
If you can seek out a MONO copy of this album, then grab it. MILES AND MILES better than the stereo mix.

YESSSSSS!!! THIS VERSION is the one they should have used to release on CD!! I still do have my mono album of this too, buried somewhere ... grinning smiley
---------------------------------------

"Doctor please, some more men please,
To Cotchford Farm, out by the pool...

What a drag it is they couldn't revive him"

Brian Jones 2/28/42 - 7/2/69

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 27, 2010 19:40

I always used to like this album a lot (as a teenager in the 80's)! The energy is so powerful. Later i found out about the overdubs confused smiley. I've Been Loving You Too Long and Fortune Teller were studiorecordings, ok, these songs i used to skip/turn off. Recently i got the bootleg Got Live If You Want It (Vinyl Gang) with the march 1965 tracks. To my surprise it got the same Time Is On My Side as the LP version! Same for I'm Allright! And when i got the remastered version of GLIYWI, the doctoring became more distinct.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:07

As bad as their live albums are with the post-production, got LIVE is the epitome of how to screw up making studio recordings sound 'live'.

Their worst release ever - even worse than Their Satanic Majesties, Dirty Work and Between The Buttons (ha ha).

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: February 27, 2010 20:29

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-05 12:44 by UrbanSteel.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home