Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26
Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:16

there is a better or a worse also in art. it´s not only personal preference.

of course you need to be educated to make an judgement that is worth a shit.

Posted by: letitloose ()

Well I did say that anyone elses opinion is as valid as mine. All I will say is that if you dont "get it" then I feel sorry for you. That is my opinion. It is the greatest slab of music ever comitted to vinyl.

stoneswashed77
that´s way too easy and you know it! and therefor just wrong. eye rolling smiley

haha...winking smiley) good answer.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:18

letitloose
My guess is that the 10 "new" songs will sound contemporary.

That's the problem with doing overdubs 40 years after the fact. Not only are they adding new brushstrokes to tracks that have enormous historical value even in their rough sketch form, but the resulting bonus tracks that are being cobbled together from 1971 and 2009 recordings, might not even sound as if they came from the same sessions that produced Exile. Then again, with an album like Exile, that may not even matter much. There is nothing about Exile that screams "Nineteen-Seventy-Two" at you when you listen to it. Like all of the best albums ever made, it's utterly timeless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 19:20 by tatters.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:21

good post tatters. I suspect the unreleased songs will sound current. In some ways it could be a new Tattoo You. I am reserving judgement, but my instincts tell me this will be great. Perhaps, it shouldn't be tagged on to an Exile rerelease. Maybe they should just have done it anyway.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:26

stoneswashed77

a universal standard to which everyone agrees? i don't think so...at some point it's someone imposing their own preference.

so give me an example of a better/worse or best/worse that would be universally agreed upon. i'm waiting....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-28 19:28 by StonesTod.

Date: February 28, 2010 19:29

Palace Revolution 2000
stoneswashed77
letitloose
stoneswashed77
it´s not even their best record, why do ppl continue to say that?

Well it is their best album, but I guess your opinion is as valid as mine. I certainly think this is exciting news. My guess is that the 10 "new" songs will sound contemporary. There will be the mother of all debates when it arrives. I predict a 20 page thread. Cant wait!

if it was the best album why do they hardly ever play any songs from exile for the last 30 years. not on the radio and not at concerts.

maybe because it is REALLY their best album, and not their most radio-idiot-friendly album. In other words - we know it is the best.

It is their best album because it is the ultimate expression of everything the Stones do best. The fact that it doesn't contain a Brown Sugar or a JJF doesn't change that.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:31

tatters
Palace Revolution 2000
stoneswashed77
letitloose
stoneswashed77

Well it is their best album, but I guess your opinion is as valid as mine. I certainly think this is exciting news. My guess is that the 10 "new" songs will sound contemporary. There will be the mother of all debates when it arrives. I predict a 20 page thread. Cant wait!

if it was the best album why do they hardly ever play any songs from exile for the last 30 years. not on the radio and not at concerts.

maybe because it is REALLY their best album, and not their most radio-idiot-friendly album. In other words - we know it is the best.

It is their best album because it is the ultimate expression of everything the Stones do best. The fact that it doesn't contain a Brown Sugar or a JJF doesn't change that.

Exactly right.

Date: February 28, 2010 19:35

71Tele
tatters
Palace Revolution 2000
stoneswashed77
letitloose
stoneswashed77

Exactly right.

an excellent argument for being one's favorite or as an expression of opinion about being their best!

Date: February 28, 2010 19:36

letitloose
good post tatters. I suspect the unreleased songs will sound current. In some ways it could be a new Tattoo You. I am reserving judgement, but my instincts tell me this will be great. Perhaps, it shouldn't be tagged on to an Exile rerelease. Maybe they should just have done it anyway.

Yeah, it sort of reminds me of Pete Townshend's various attempts to revive Lifehouse, periodically going back to his most creative period and trying to create something new out of what he finds in his own trash bin. I think a new Stones album based on re-recordings of unreleased tracks from 1971 would generate more interest than just going in and doing a new album from scratch. Of course, if it sucked, everyone would say that not only do they have no new ideas, but even their unused old ideas aren't worth much.

Date: February 28, 2010 19:37

StonesTod
stoneswashed77

a universal standard to which everyone agrees? i don't think so...at some point it's someone imposing their own preference.

so give me an example of a better/worse or best/worse that would be universally agreed upon. i'm waiting....

there is no need that everyone agrees !!!

would you argue that if someone pays 50 mio for a picasso that he is a fool to pay that much and he´d be better of with a painting from ronnie?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 28, 2010 19:41

I think we have 2 possible examples of taking something old and recording new things to it.

One, of course, is Tattoo You. That is for certain. But it was the mixing - not the actual recording - that made that sound so good. Granted, how Mick sang Tops in 1980 compared to how he would have sung it in 1972/73 might be different but we'll never really know possibly. And likewise with the other tracks. Although from what I can tell Slave only had saxophone added to it. And blah blah blah.

The 2nd and most recent possible example of what we will get with this Exile extra tracks thing is So Young. It certainly has the sound of Some Girls - yet what, Mick added a new vocal to it?

Why I still don't get. But it was done. Or was it? Do we really know? It was mastered by the same guy doing the UMEs. It says nothing about Don Was producing it, only Chris Kimsey.

So maybe it was finished in 1977-78 and just never released.

Again, why they would bother with that and not something new for a B-side I'll never get.

Date: February 28, 2010 20:07

bv
This is the official EXILE press release from UNIVERSAL MUSIC

THE ROLLING STONES’ ICONIC
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
TO BE RELEASED
WITH NEVER-BEFORE-HEARD TRACKS

Album Launch to Coincide With New Documentary “Stones In Exile”
New York - February 25, 2010 – Universal Music Group is pleased to announce the re-release of The Rolling Stones’ album Exile on Main Street with an additional 10 never-before-heard tracks. Regarded as one of the greatest albums in rock ‘n’ roll history and one of the most defining of the Stones’ catalogue, Exile will be available May 17, 2010, in the U.K. and May 18, 2010, in the US.
Upon its release more than three decades ago, Exile on Main Street innovatively wove varying musical genres, instruments and even artists into a compelling rhythmic masterpiece. This new compilation features 10 tracks originally recorded during the Exile era and only recently discovered while working on the reissue project. The unearthed tracks which include such titles as “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass The Wine” have undergone a unique evolution, while staying true to the essence of the 1972 album. Alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup” also are a part of the Exile bonus materials.

As a complement to the release of Exile on Main Street, a documentary, “Stones in Exile,” has just been completed for fans to view on US Network television and through BBC Worldwide internationally. The documentary features rare, never-before-seen archival film, photos and interviews as well as new conversations with the band and the artists they influence. Produced by Oscar -winning filmmaker John Battsek and directed by Stephen Kijak, who is known for award-winning work on Cinemania, and Scott Walker: 30 Century Man, “Stones in Exile” offers an uncommon glimpse into the lives of the band as they created one of the greatest albums of all time.

The original 18-track double-album was recorded in various stages at multiple locations, including Olympic Studios in London, Keith Richard’s mansion Nellcote in France, and in Los Angeles where the literal “Main Street” influenced the album title. These atypical circumstances surrounding the recording process greatly affected the album’s outcome which was highly reflective and influenced by the sociopolitical turbulence that marked the late `60s and early `70s. The Stones nixed the influences of a flower-child era and directed their creative process with the edgier, excessive, “more is more” approach of the `70s. Exile reveals a sprawling mix of genres with undertones of blues, country, R&B and gospel mixed with lyrics that fervently demand for release and liberation.

The album pulled together an electric array of talent including Dr. John, the late Billy Preston and pianist Nicky Hopkins. Guitarist Mick Taylor, who replaced Brian Jones in the band shortly before Jones died in 1969, is a magnificent blues player who brought an intensity and elegance to these epic tracks. At times, these musicians and others lived on the recording studio premises with the band creating an extremely open and creative collaboration for the album.

“The album’s riveting portrait of artists pushed – by the times, by themselves – to the very limits of their creativity has provided inspiration to every musical generation that has come along since Exile was released in 1972,” said author Anthony DeCurtis. “Every song on Exile on Main Street is elevated by its relationship to the music that comes before and after it. The album’s irresistible power is unlikely to diminish any time soon.”
Exile on Main Street will be available in two CD formats: the original 18 track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary DVD with footage from @#$%& Blues, Ladies and Gentlemen… the Rolling Stones and Stones in Exile, and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era. The 10 unreleased tracks were produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was.

Is this the new material that you said they would be playing on stage in 2010?

Date: February 28, 2010 20:14

Well that's not exactly "new" material now is it.

No tour in '010.

Date: February 28, 2010 22:19

stoneswashed77
StonesTod
stoneswashed77

would you argue that if someone pays 50 mio for a picasso that he is a fool to pay that much and he´d be better of with a painting from ronnie?

what does this have to do with the price of eggs in sweden?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 28, 2010 22:25

71Tele
tatters

Exactly right.

Not exactly. It DOES contain Tumbling Dice, a masterpiece like JJF and Brown Sugar.

Date: February 28, 2010 22:58

StonesTod
stoneswashed77
StonesTod
stoneswashed77

you should have told me from the start you never passed the exam to leave elementary school.

exile is the best record ever for who? 200 people on iorr. not even that. it´s maybe 50% here on iorr who think so. so it´s only 100 people.

compare that to 6 000 000 000 people in the world who couldn´t name one song from it. or maybe 5 990 000 000 who haven´t even heard of the album, but know and love jjf, angie, satisfaction, start me up, brown sugar.

but how would those songs even be compared to other peoples music regarding good, better, best.

but i suppose those 100 iorr´s here are the only wise people on this planet and the rest of the 6 000 000 000 in the world just don´t have any clue.

Date: February 28, 2010 23:27

alimente
71Tele
tatters

Exactly right.

Not exactly. It DOES contain Tumbling Dice, a masterpiece like JJF and Brown Sugar.

I think the whole thing is a masterpiece.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: February 28, 2010 23:29

tatters
The 2-CD Deluxe with ten previously unreleased tracks from the peak of their career is exciting news. Having to pay an additional $120 in order to get a DVD with only a few minutes of concert footage from the peak of their career is a legitimate cause for complaining. The Deluxe is a good value. The Super Deluxe is not.

You should be able to get the Super Deluxe edition for under $100 (US). It opened at $109.98 on Amazon, and those prices always drop before release. You also get the vinyl and collectors book with that set. If you don't want the Vinyl, sell it on eBay. Or buy the Deluxe Edition and record the documentary off TV.

EDIT: The Super Deluxe edition just dropped to $98.99 (US) on Amazon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-01 09:40 by ajc68.

Date: February 28, 2010 23:59

Nooo. Tumbling Dice is from Made In The Shade. And Rewind. And Jump Back. And Forty Licks. Don't know about some Exile thing.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 1, 2010 00:48

Lightnin'
klrkcr
Did Keith and Mick T play on this? Was Mick T only there for the doco?

Yes they both play on the "new" recordings and were both interviewed for the docu DVD too.

Thanks for explicitly confirming this.

So, do you now know that the actual release of the new songs will contain Taylor's additional dubs?

Can you confirm whether Jagger and Richards were in the studio during Taylor's recording session?

Thanks again

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 1, 2010 00:48

stoneswashed77
StonesTod
stoneswashed77
StonesTod
stoneswashed77

you should have told me from the start you never passed the exam to leave elementary school.

exile is the best record ever for who? 200 people on iorr. not even that. it´s maybe 50% here on iorr who think so. so it´s only 100 people.

compare that to 6 000 000 000 people in the world who couldn´t name one song from it. or maybe 5 990 000 000 who haven´t even heard of the album, but know and love jjf, angie, satisfaction, start me up, brown sugar.

but how would those songs even be compared to other peoples music regarding good, better, best.

but i suppose those 100 iorr´s here are the only wise people on this planet and the rest of the 6 000 000 000 in the world just don´t have any clue.

Think about this:

How many people know Eine kleine Nachtmusik K 525 of Mozart? Countless people. Everyone on IORR ever heard at least a piece of it, the first notes for example. Then how many people know Mozart's string quintet K 516? Only a few, compared with those who know EKN. How many people on IORR know that string quintet? I guess a handful at most. But there's not any doubt that K 516 is a far more important masterpiece than K 525, which has been written to make money, to entertain the aristocracy, to give them music to dance on. But only very few people could 'understand' that string quintet at that time, so Mozart didn't earn a dime by writing it and it wasn't played then. Now it's recognized as one of the very best pieces of chambermusic ever.

Conclusion: numbers, dear IORRians, they don't say not much about quality. And we care about the quality of the Stones' music, don't we, and not so much about numbers (except of course about the number of dollars, euros, pounds etc. that these Exile things are gonna cost us, because we will feel that in our pursesad smiley)

Date: March 1, 2010 01:19

alimente
71Tele
tatters

Exactly right.

I don't agree. Tumbling Dice is not even the best track on side one. Exile has no masterpieces on it. What makes the ALBUM a masterpiece, is that it has no sub par, or even merely average tracks on it. ALL 18 cuts are remarkably, uniformly, great.

Date: March 1, 2010 01:21

think about this too:

what you say might be true, but you can´t use the reverse logic. meaning if something is unknown it must be genius. that´s too easy again.

think about that also:

say there is a world famous band who has 20 really great songs, that many people know and love. and that this band is considered by everyone also by people who know music as one of the best bands ever.

wouldn´t you expect at least one of those 20 great songs to be on their by fans selfdeclared best record.
wouldn´t you expect the world to have taken knowledge of that selfdeclared masterpiece too?? especially since they are famous and everyone listens also people who are educated in music.

mozart is a bad example though. he is overrated, but i think you also stated that somehow.

i don´t think the stones are overrated as a rock band. and i don´t think their greatest songs, satisfaction, jjf, gimme shelter, rambler, ycagwyw, sympathy, brown sugar, wild horses, angie, it´s only rock´n roll, miss you, beast of burden start me up, and many more, are overrated.

almost no one is better than those songs, neither are the stones themself.

Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 1, 2010 01:28

kissinc***incannes
Dancin' In the Light instrumental:

I love the sound of this, but am glad Mick has added vocals. It doesn't sound like a whole song here and needs some finishing touches imo. I am absolutely ecstatic about this release and think we are all going to be very happy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ....geesh, all the complaints!

Date: March 1, 2010 01:37

stoneswashed77

So I guess since everyone on the planet has heard of Thriller, it must be the best album of all time? Among people who make their living writing about rock music, EOMS is widely regarded as the best Stones album, and generally considered to be one of the 10 best albums ever made by anyone.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 1, 2010 01:40

kleermaker
Then how many people know Mozart's string quintet K 516? Only a few, compared with those who know EKN. How many people on IORR know that string quintet? I guess a handful at most. But there's not any doubt that K 516 is a far more important masterpiece than K 525, which has been written to make money, to entertain the aristocracy, to give them music to dance on. But only very few people could 'understand' that string quintet at that time, so Mozart didn't earn a dime by writing it and it wasn't played then. Now it's recognized as one of the very best pieces of chambermusic ever.

...just to give the vast majority of the uneducated at IORR an impression
about what you´re talking about...

Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Date: March 1, 2010 01:42

TrulyMicks
kissinc***incannes
Dancin' In the Light instrumental:

I love the sound of this, but am glad Mick has added vocals. It doesn't sound like a whole song here and needs some finishing touches imo. I am absolutely ecstatic about this release and think we are all going to be very happy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ....geesh, all the complaints!

Yes, complaints from people who never got Exile in the first place and would much prefer another lame, decrepit stadium tour behind another lame "new" studio album along the lines of ABB. The Stones are releasing perhaps the greatest rock record of all time with ten new tracks and they complain about overdubs, the price, and the fact that they are doing it at all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-01 01:44 by 71Tele.

Date: March 1, 2010 02:14

tatters
stoneswashed77

So I guess since everyone on the planet has heard of Thriller, it must be the best album of all time? Among people who make their living writing about rock music, EOMS is widely regarded as the best Stones album, and generally considered to be one of the 10 best albums ever made by anyone.

yes i think thriller is a very good record.
and eoms is not w-i-d-e-l-y regarded the best album.
the question anyway is not if exile is better than thriller. the question is is it better than sticky, lib, bb and all the 60´s and also later stuff. or is it not as good.

btw.:
you really think people writing about music for a living write what they really think? you truely believe there is no censoring? you truely believe there is no money involved? you truely believe you can do that for a living and not play your part in the game?

welcome to the real world!!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 1, 2010 02:42

shortfatfanny
kleermaker
Then how many people know Mozart's string quintet K 516? Only a few, compared with those who know EKN. How many people on IORR know that string quintet? I guess a handful at most. But there's not any doubt that K 516 is a far more important masterpiece than K 525, which has been written to make money, to entertain the aristocracy, to give them music to dance on. But only very few people could 'understand' that string quintet at that time, so Mozart didn't earn a dime by writing it and it wasn't played then. Now it's recognized as one of the very best pieces of chambermusic ever.

...just to give the vast majority of the uneducated at IORR an impression
about what you´re talking about...

Another impression of the same piece (part 3). Well, I didn't call the people who don't know this work "uneducated"... I myself know very little of popmusic, jazzmusic, other classical music etc., but I'm not uneducated, though some maybe (justly?) think.

BTW: A performance of about 45 years ago. Interesting.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home