Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 26
Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 25, 2010 17:55

YES---NEW TRACKS...New to us....ha...If they didn't tell you that it was written 39 years ago you would never know..
Its only rock and roll but i like it!

Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 25, 2010 18:05

I can't wait to read all the comments after this comes out. It's the greatest thing ever.....It's the worst thing ever.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 25, 2010 18:08

bernardanderson
“I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were,” Keith Richards says. “I didn’t want to interfere with the Bible".

uh, i guess he failed in that regard, considering he did overdub some guitar parts and mick overdubbed things. way to interfere with the bible, keith! gosh!
oh, i guess he was referring to the original album, not the unreleased tracks. my mistake. but still, i think it's kinda lame that they would overdub things many years after the fact. did they get drunk and high in order to get into the right frame of mind again?

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 25, 2010 18:50

10 bonus tracks? Does that mean they decided to leave Aladdin Story behind? Was starting to really look forward to hear the vocal version.

Still great news!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:03

Ya think Keith added his same three notes over and over solo to anything? Ha ha...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:10

with sssoul
far out :E

i'll wait until it's out to decide which version of the truth is right, but ...
far out :E

Gee..I thought "far out" was an idiom/locution that was used in the 70's only ....

Coming back to the subject, I didn't pay attention at first to the RS.com comment ...I am still very very skeptical about the "new tracks" ...

New tracks to who ?
Do you really think WE ,didn't heard about it already ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:11

The Sicilian
Maybe this will count towards releasing a new album. 10 new tracks coming from that era will be a welcome release.

Welcome release?
I'm all wet ;-)

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:22

I fear there will be no Mick Taylor overdubs.

Posted by: RKH1981 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 19:51

FreeBird
I fear there will be no Mick Taylor overdubs.

Hopefully he didn't need to, cause he layed it down perfectly to begin with. smoking smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:17

The NME talks about STONES IN EXILE documentary that will be broadcasted in May. So they are kind of spreading (offering) the 30-minute documentary over the TV stations like they did in 1995 with STRIPPED to promote the album? And it will be the same documentary to be found in the super hyper deluxe version of EXILE? Or do I get something wrong?

I need to say that there was a bit of bigger dreams of what the DVD disc of teh box would be like (full concert footage or something). Most likely LADIES AND GENTS is not going to be released in EXILE box.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-25 20:17 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:25

Doxa

I need to say that there was a bit of bigger dreams of what the DVD disc of teh box would be like (full concert footage or something). Most likely LADIES AND GENTS is not going to be released in EXILE box.

- Doxa

Well, L&G we all have already, so I'm not waiting for that one. But I would like to see lots of other live material where MT's guitar hasn't been left out! For the rest, I have no (high) expectations of this Exile project.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:39

kleermaker
Doxa

- Doxa

Well, L&G we all have already, so I'm not waiting for that one. But I would like to see lots of other live material where MT's guitar hasn't been left out! For the rest, I have no (high) expectations of this Exile project.

with the stones, it's a good policy to have - keeping expectations low - that worked to my favor with the ya-ya's project - had absolutely no hope for it and it delivered something slightly above that expectation. woohoo.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 25, 2010 20:44

i would say, if we get what´s discribed, than it´s a quite good thing. I´m looking forward to it

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:04

So it appears we're getting on the bonus disc:

1.) Plundered My Soul
2.) Following the River
3.) Pass the Wine (wt: Sophia Loren)
4.) Scarlet
5.) I Ain't Signifying
6.) Dancing in the Light
7.) Aladdin Stomp (aka Aladdin Story)
8.) Good Time Women (early version of Tumbling Dice)
9.) Lovin' Cup (aka Gimme a Lil' Drink)
10.) Soul Survivor (Keith guide vocal)
11.) Get a Line On You (early version of Shine a Light - previously released)

but with vocal and percussion overdubs by Mick Jagger
guitar overdubs by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor (?)
it is likely Matt Clifford overdubbed instruments as well
Tracks 1-7 were instrumental backing tracks with new lyrics added in 2009

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:13

On May 18th, Universal Music Group is re-releasing the album with 10 never-before-heard tracks, including “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass the Wine,” that were produced by Jimmy Miller, the Glimmer Twins and Don Was. The disc also features alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup.”

This is freaking great news!!! we've heard about it in the Italian interview here:[www.iorr.org]
there where doubts about how far it would go - but this is confirmation!
great, great news - bring it on, open up the vaults! do it, do it, do it!

.....but then of course, on IORR.org, we have some of the greatest whiners, ever...^^ man, it really bugs me lately!
nobody (incl.me) has heared the outcome yet - so why judge it?
the fact that it is (has) been dug out & treated... is the revelation!

windmelody
Sorry, but they seem to have run out of ideas. Releasing unreleased songs is nice if the songs are good, but spending time in the studio with "adding a bit of percussion and vocals" to fourty year old recordings is very strange.I hope they will not end up beeing nothing but a nostalgia band! Dear Mick, in 2001 you sang that you always hated nostalgia, living in the past, did you forget that?

Windmelody, what on earth is wrong with finishing a song when there's obviously something misssing, for whatever reason? you dislike the digital domain? well, I'll dislike it when I hear it - but only if it stands out to be just that.
running out of ideas??? search this site for "open the vaults" you'll find many who want exactly that. It's a big demand.
"nostalgia, living in the past"? you take what Mick sings for real? gimme a break.
it's about music. Mick is able to use his voice and his lyrics as an instrument.

bernardanderson
bernardanderson
“I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were,” Keith Richards says. “I didn’t want to interfere with the Bible".

uh, i guess he failed in that regard, considering he did overdub some guitar parts and mick overdubbed things. way to interfere with the bible, keith! gosh!
oh, i guess he was referring to the original album, not the unreleased tracks. my mistake. but still, i think it's kinda lame that they would overdub things many years after the fact. did they get drunk and high in order to get into the right frame of mind again?

meh, see above!

SwayStones
...I am still very very skeptical about the "new tracks" ...

New tracks to who ?
Do you really think WE ,didn't heard about it already ?

We may have heared some of them before - but not with the treatment that's done to them.
so, it's gonna be new listening.
you can be as skeptical as me or the next one - but May 18th is the day.
I'll spare you...

a whiners cellar

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:14

skipstone
Ya think Keith added his same three notes over and over solo to anything? Ha ha...

Hahahaha. I needed a chuckle.

incidentally, I am just as curious to hear the alternate Soul Survivor. It's one of my top 20 favorite Stones tracks and I have always wondered about the existence of 'bootleg' versions. Hope it's something like a demo or alternate take and not just, say, the existing version with a louder tambourine or something lame like that.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:21

Great news, new songs, documentary and pictures, will count the days!!!

Date: February 25, 2010 21:22

Dancin' In the Light instrumental:

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:28

i also think it is very strange to overdub on 40 year old tracks.

because it´s the rolling stones i am nontheless very happy they did it.

usually i don´t like most outtakes, i think their judgements which songs to leave off the records was mostly right over the years.
so i hope i will not be disappointed.

really looking forward to hear it.

Posted by: chenry9195 ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:38

RKH1981
A deluxe edition of the reissue will also include Stones in Exile, a documentary directed by Stephen Kijak that tracks the making of Exile, ALONG WITH footage from @#$%& Blues and Ladies and Gentlemen… the Rolling Stones.

The Exile on Main Street reissue will be sold a CD featuring the original 18 tracks or as a deluxe CD edition with the 10 bonus tracks. The super deluxe package includes vinyl, the 30-MINUTE DOCUMENTARY DVD and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era.

I think they'll have a bonus feature of stuff from @#$%& Blues and Ladies and Gentlemen. To me this seems to be worded as a separate entity.

Date: February 25, 2010 21:40

Rocky Dijon
So it appears we're getting on the bonus disc:

1.) Plundered My Soul
2.) Following the River
3.) Pass the Wine (wt: Sophia Loren)
4.) Scarlet
5.) I Ain't Signifying
6.) Dancing in the Light
7.) Aladdin Stomp (aka Aladdin Story)
8.) Good Time Women (early version of Tumbling Dice)
9.) Lovin' Cup (aka Gimme a Lil' Drink)
10.) Soul Survivor (Keith guide vocal)
11.) Get a Line On You (early version of Shine a Light - previously released)

but with vocal and percussion overdubs by Mick Jagger
guitar overdubs by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor (?)
it is likely Matt Clifford overdubbed instruments as well
Tracks 1-7 were instrumental backing tracks with new lyrics added in 2009
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi,

Is this list a guess or is this certain? I'm quite dissapointed to see that "Fast Talking Slow Walking didnt make the cut ... Phenomenal track IMO and just needed some minor fine tuning.

Also, were there any vocals / lyrics on Aladin Story/ Stomp previously? Overdubbing a couple of lines here and there could be hidden BUT singing a whole song sounds sketchy to me. Did Jagger really write up lyrics and sing a whole new song? Aladin story doesnt thave an Exile mood it it - I would have preferred to see this on GHS instead of Exile.

It might be possible to reproduce the Exile era guitars/ percussion using modern day technology but Jagger ...his vocals / voice are very different now.

All in all a fascinating development nevertheless. Can't wait for its release.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:44

i can't wait for the release date to be pushed back! hooray!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 25, 2010 21:47

Can´t believe all the whiners here...If you´re so unhappy with what´s coming, don´t buy it...it is what it is, and no whining is going to change what´s being released.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 25, 2010 22:10

mickijaggeroo
and no whining is going to change what´s being released.

whining is not effective? hmmm...does it at least have some residual benefits? like feeling better for having whined? i may have to change my whole philosophy - i just always assumed whining worked...

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 25, 2010 22:14

I'm quite dissapointed to see that "Fast Talking Slow Walking didnt make the cut ... Phenomenal track IMO and just needed some minor fine tuning.

Fast Talking is from GHS sessions. Nov and/or Dec 72 Kingston Jamaica (months after Exile had been released.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 25, 2010 22:22

I was speculating on the track selection based on info posted on this board in another thread, from RollingStone.com, from Don Was last year, from the Italian newspaper source. The Rolling Stone piece says "much more information" on the reissue will be released March 3. That should confirm whether or not Mr. Taylor contributed any guitar overdubs. If he did, they certainly won't hush it up as it will be a marketing point and will doubtless give rise to tour reunion articles that, even if foundless, will help generate interest in the project and spur sales. The article makes it sound like only one song was an instrumental with 2009 Jagger lyrics and vocals added to the track. I suspect there are a few of them like that, but we should be able to tell when we hear them. Personally, I'm fine with another TATTOO YOU or "So Young" project where they finish off an old backing track. I'm simply glad there is new Rolling Stones material to add to my collection even if I choose to file it away as 2010 Rolling Stones and not 1972 outtakes. I'm happy just to get new material.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: February 25, 2010 22:38

Yeah, I'm thrilled with the other outtakes but still praying for Aladdin Story, IMO It's got one of the most beautiful melodies the stones ever did.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: February 25, 2010 23:12

In the name of Keith, please don't let this be brickwalled.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: February 25, 2010 23:41

Yeah lets hope the DVD included in the Super Deluxe package is more extensive in it's inclusion of CS Blues and L&G footage than the broadcast program.

Expect the mastering metrics to be the same as for the other UMG reissues. Great clarity, very nice EQ.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 25, 2010 23:43

10 unreleased tracks - great news!

New lyrics/vocals - hmm...confused smiley

Still, looking forward to it!smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home