Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 26
Re: EXILE press release says ten new tracks
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:13

Gazza
However, such material belongs on unauthorised or bootleg releases, not on commercial products. The fact that something exists doesnt automatically make it releasable. The GRNRBITW should be about quality - not just content to release any old crap.

There are so many way in which such material, even say the best of whats available on bootleg can be released as commercial product. From simple official downloads to ltd box sets or bootleg series etc. So long as it is promoted as such and labeled properly. Whether it sells well is a different matter.

Much like the Rock and Roll Circus, something deemed not good enough back then can be historically interesting now. I guess that is kind of being addressed with the extra exile tracks.

But yeah, they don't appear to be happy to release things in too much of an unfinished or rough state which is of course their right.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 2, 2010 19:20

"Anything short of that is pointless."

Roche, you couldn't be more wrong, to include the film w/this release would be 100% better than not releasing it at all...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 2, 2010 22:42

News - a Last minute extra songs for Exile - a must for a Stones fan - exceptional good lyrics:

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: March 2, 2010 23:49

what am i missing please??? i own some bootlegs, but don´t think this is illegal. that´s what i said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-02 23:56 by stoneswashed77.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 3, 2010 00:01

guess i have to buy the deluxe version because the dvd is the most interesting part IMO, although i am quite curious to hear the bonus trax

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: March 3, 2010 00:43

The newest issue of Rolling Stone (with Shawn White on the cover and dated March 18th) has an article on the upcoming Exile box. In this particular article,Don Was essentially let the cat out of the bag. I am quoting directly from the article "...but Was doesn't deny rumors that guitarist Mick Taylor, who left the group in 1974, was brought back to cut new parts for the release. "I'm not saying that's not true, " Was says. "I'm simply not going to deny to it or say it didn't happen."
Was also said that Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman were not needed for extra overdubs. So, it appears that Taylor was, indeed, involved in the bonus track sessions. Why would Don Was need to be speaking specifically in this manner concerning Taylor?

Date: March 3, 2010 00:56

stoneswashed77
i own some bootlegs, but don´t think this is illegal.

You have double standards Mr stonewashed77! But it's ok so do the stones and most humans.

The band gets no money from those bootlegs nor did they authorize them.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 3, 2010 01:14

72stones
The newest issue of Rolling Stone (with Shawn White on the cover and dated March 18th) has an article on the upcoming Exile box. In this particular article,Don Was essentially let the cat out of the bag. I am quoting directly from the article "...but Was doesn't deny rumors that guitarist Mick Taylor, who left the group in 1974, was brought back to cut new parts for the release. "I'm not saying that's not true, " Was says. "I'm simply not going to deny to it or say it didn't happen."
Was also said that Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman were not needed for extra overdubs. So, it appears that Taylor was, indeed, involved in the bonus track sessions. Why would Don Was need to be speaking specifically in this manner concerning Taylor?

Very interesting, thanks for the report!
I also find the silence surrounding Mick Taylor's possible involvement in the Exile reissue a bit strange. You would think that Mick Jagger or anyone else would have let it out in interviews if Taylor actually took part in it. It would be almost sensational for hard core Stones fans and also big news for magazines like Uncut and Mojo. (I suppose that's why Rolling Stone magazine asked Don Was about it.)

I certainly hope that the reason is NOT that they have scrapped his overdubs. Maybe there are legal issues in the way (of letting the information out).

Either way, I think it's pretty cool of Mick & Keith to actually invite him. Any other lead guitarist than Taylor or Keith himself would be absolute blasphemy, IMO.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: March 3, 2010 01:19

tatters
Gazza
Slick
i will reserve judgment until i actually hear the 'new' stuff, just hope they dont botch it up. ie. adding 2010 mick vocals to vintage 1970's tracks will sound horrible.

Problem is, we dont really know how much leftover material was releasable. Its pretty much well documented that the bulk of the vocals (according to Mick anyway) werent finished until they did the overdubs in LA. By that stage, once youve worked on 18 songs for what was, after all, a double album, which came out just one year after their previous record its quite feasible that not a lot of other songs were finished. When youve finished 18 songs and have deadlines, there's no need to waste valuable time finishing songs that you have no intention (at the time anyway) of putting out.

Taking that into account, you maybe have four possible options here for a bonus CD :

1) They could have released the known, circulating Exile-era outtakes 'as is', which would have led to endless complaints about just putting out stuff that a lot of people already have.

2) they could have released a CD of leftover songs which were unfinished and just put them out as they are. Cue multiple complaints about 'filler' and the sheer cheek of putting out half finished sketches and expecting fans to buy any old rubbish.

3) They could release a hybrid of finished but previously unbootlegged tracks and previously unbootlegged unfinished tracks, adding some latter day overdubs to the latter to make them sound finished.

4) They could release absolutely nothing at all.

Given the choice, I'd prefer option 3). Thats the option theyve chosen.

Although, that said, I wouldnt have objected to them filling out the CD with a few songs from option 1), which would have been in better quality than what was previously available.

However, its still a better alternative than the other three.

Of the four choices you listed, a combination of 1 and 2 would have been better than 3. Not everyone has the bootlegs, and even the people who do would still have appreciated having that material in official-release-quality sound. Also, "filler" and "any old rubbish" are terms that can hardly be applied to unfinished tracks recorded when the Stones were at the peak of their creativity. Having the Stones tinkering with these tracks nearly 40 years PAST the peak of their creativity, however, is something that could very well turn these historic recordings INTO rubbish! A better option than any of these would have been to put the unmolested studio scrapings on the second disc, the unreleased 1972 live album on a THIRD disc, and the entire L & G on the DVD.
absolutely. in a way, it could end up similar to crash landing and midnight lightning after jimi had passed away... cause for all intents as purposes, as much as i love the rolling stones, theyve been dead to me for 20 years.

Date: March 3, 2010 01:44

His Majesty
stoneswashed77

You have double standards Mr stonewashed77! But it's ok so do the stones and most humans.

no that´s not double standart. bootlegs are a completely different story than stealing official releases!

i would consider bootlegs illegal only if they would sound good.

but as long as a small recorder and two mics is not gonna get you anywhere near the quality of an official live recording it´s not stealing.

that´s like telling me making a video with my cell phone was stealing! rubbish!!

i have anyway only two bootlegs from the early 70´s which i listened to once, couldn´t stand the sound quality, and also performance, and never listened again.
but i bought all their official live releases instead.

keep on stealing and still feel good @#$%&!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 3, 2010 01:47

His Majesty
stoneswashed77

it's much better to have no standards at all - like me....no dilemmas or confusion...

Date: March 3, 2010 01:48

T&A
His Majesty
stoneswashed77

it's much better to have no standards at all - like me....no dilemmas or confusion...

no that´s not double standart. bootlegs are a completely different story than stealing official releases!

but as long as a small recorder and two mics is not gonna get you anywhere near the quality of an official live recording it´s not stealing.

that´s like telling me making a video with my cell phone was stealing! rubbish!!

i have anyway only two bootlegs from the early 70´s which i listened to once, couldn´t stand the sound quality, and also performance, and never listened again.

keep on stealing and still feel good @#$%&!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:04

Gazza
tatters
Also, "filler" and "any old rubbish" are terms that can hardly be applied to unfinished tracks recorded when the Stones were at the peak of their creativity.

Sorry, but it can. Doodling is doodling, and singing out of tune unfinished lyrics is just as unlistenable whether it was recorded in 1970 or recorded in 2010.

People actually want them to release stuff like 'Exile On Main Street Blues' for goodness sake. Its still a throwaway piece of crap, no matter when it was recorded.

I can see your point entirely about tinkering with 40 year old recordings, but if the alternative is something half arsed that sounds like Keith farting in the bath, then the fact that it happened to be recorded for Exile doesn't suddenly make it appetising or anything worth listening to more than once.

Then I guess you and I just have very different ideas about what is and what is not doodling, unfinished, unlistenable, a throwaway piece of crap, half arsed, appetising, or worth listening to more than once.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:04

I'm reading a lot of assumptions here. Allow me to spin and manipulate my paraphrasing here a bit. winking smiley

1) The Stones were GODS in 1972 so unfinished tracks should be left as they are since, hey, it was 1972 and therefore impossible for any of it to be 'rubbish'.
My conclusion: I'll reserve judgement until I actually hear them.

2) Mick's vocals from 2010 will sound horrible on a track recorded in (1969-1972).

3) Oh my God, listen to the remastering of (insert other 70's album here), there's no way they won't @#$% up the Exile tracks!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:06

Tatters. Like yourself. no doubt, I've listened to enough of them down the years. As unreleased recordings or 'forbidden fruit', they're nice to have.

As to whether they're releasable? Some are. Most however are unreleased for a very good reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-03 02:08 by Gazza.

Date: March 3, 2010 02:08

stoneswashed77

keep on stealing and still feel good ass-hole!

Nice attempt at justifying your stealing! grinning smiley

As for calling me an ass-hole, that's no way to talk to royalty!

Date: March 3, 2010 02:10

Gazza
Tatters. Like yourself. no doubt, I've listened to enough of them down the years. As unreleased recordings or 'forbidden fruit', they're nice to have.

As to whether they're releasable? Some are. Most however are unreleased for a very good reason.

+1 thumbs up

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:13

So what are they going to include on the DVD from L&G and CS Blues? By My count, there's six Exile tracks on L&G. I can't remember what's on CS Blues. If they're just referring to L&G and CS Blues as an amalgam of the filmed performances from 1972, then maybe 20 or so minutes could just be six or so live performances of Exiile songs.

Date: March 3, 2010 02:21

studiorambo
So what are they going to include on the DVD from L&G and CS Blues? By My count, there's six Exile tracks on L&G. I can't remember what's on CS Blues. If they're just referring to L&G and CS Blues as an amalgam of the filmed performances from 1972, then maybe 20 or so minutes could just be six or so live performances of Exiile songs.

Folks, don't get your hopes up about this DVD. The whole thing is only 30 minutes and includes only "bits" of L&G and CS Blues. We could get 10 minutes from each of those films. We could get 30 seconds, with Mick talking over the music the whole time.

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:25

I've had the bootleg debate with a few friends. Personally, I always pay for my downloads and I don't download much, maybe for a preview or for one track I want when I know I won't care for an album.

I own very few bootlegs (2-3 Stones cds) all of which I have paid for. I'm on dial up and can't download any of the goodies in the trade section. All i can do is look and salivate.

My point of view is, bootlegs are not the same as downloading illegally. You are not taking money directly out of the hands of the artist. If the material is offcially released, then yes, you are stealing if you have an illegal copy.

I can't see how you can complain that the Stones won't open the vault constantly on this forum and when they do, you talk about downloading it free. I know people do this but if you like the band enough to post here and complain about wanting the vault opened, you shouldn't be such a douchbag and steal their efforts when they do release something, archival or not.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:26

Yep...it doesnt sound overly exciting and a bit pointless. Hope its not one of those MTV-style documentaries with about a minute of each song.

Posted by: RKH1981 ()
Date: March 3, 2010 02:46

72stones

I'd guess that maybe they're afraid Ronnie Wood would probably not take the news too well that the Stones were recording with Taylor given his current state. Then again, Ron loves this band so I'm sure he wouldn't care...

Date: March 3, 2010 03:48

KeefintheNight82

My point of view is, bootlegs are not the same as downloading illegally. You are not taking money directly out of the hands of the artist. If the material is offcially released, then yes, you are stealing if you have an illegal copy.

Piracy of an official product and bootlegging officially unreleased studio/live recordings is not the same, but it is still stealing from the artist and illegal.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 3, 2010 04:05

maybe Mick Taylor laid down some tracks but that doesn't necessarily mean he was "recording with the stones" again. for all we know, Mick and Keith could have been on the beach getting some sun while Taylor was at work.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 3, 2010 04:17

Gazza
The Greek
this is a joke to me another typical money grab .remixing exile to me is sacreligious .what are we gonna condone the repainting of the sistene chapel in the vatican because of a perceived smudge ?it's a masterpiece dont mess with it

They're not repainting the 'masterpiece'. They're releasing it as it is. Same songs. Remastered. Not remixed. The 18-track album is getting the same treatment as the rest of the UMG remasters.

All they're doing is touching up a few of the original, unseen sketches and adding them separately.

Different project entirely.

Exactly. Gazza, was that you posting on Steve Hoffman's site?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 3, 2010 04:20

Thanks for the news from the new Rolling Stone. Any official tracklisting for the bonus disc yet?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 3, 2010 04:21

72stones

Because the Stones camp hadn't let the cat out the bag. Now that it was out through other sources, Don wasn't going to lie but was still choosing his words carefully. When I asked Don about Taylor adding overdubs sometime ago, having heard about it from other sources, he turned pale and asked who'd told me. By the way, I don't think Taylor was in the studio with either Mick or Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-03 04:23 by TeddyB1018.

Re: new rollingstone.com article: Unearthed Rolling Stones Tracks Set to Debut on “Exile on Main Street” Reissue
Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 3, 2010 04:36

71Tele

Yes, complaints from people who never got Exile in the first place and would much prefer another lame, decrepit stadium tour behind another lame "new" studio album along the lines of ABB. The Stones are releasing perhaps the greatest rock record of all time with ten new tracks and they complain about overdubs, the price, and the fact that they are doing it at all.

I would be thrilled about a new studio album as well, but yeah, I don't get all this complaining at all. It's going to be great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-03 04:38 by TrulyMicks.

Date: March 3, 2010 04:41

TeddyB1018
72stones

Because the Stones camp hadn't let the cat out the bag. Now that it was out through other sources, Don wasn't going to lie but was still choosing his words carefully. When I asked Don about Taylor adding overdubs sometime ago, having heard about it from other sources, he turned pale and asked who'd told me. By the way, I don't think Taylor was in the studio with either Mick or Keith.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand this need for secrecy regarding Taylor's apparent involvement with this project. If it worked out, if they decided to use his overdubs, that would be something they should want to publicize, since it would be a strong selling point for the album. But if it didn't work out, if they decided not to use any of his overdubs, so what? What would be the point of keeping the failed attempt a secret?

Date: March 3, 2010 04:54

if all that is true, probably they just want his licks for the record.
but on the other hand still remain the current 4 piece band.
which might be an indicator they want to tour again.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home