Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Frank Zappa's Black Page (technical topic)
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 15, 2008 00:01

Surely, this is not grooving much, but what a stunt. Look at that piece, all is made of unconventional rhythmic notation. Be aware you can have headache, but don't call it crap. Still, I prefer Crazy Mama.

Here is the intro

Here is the correspendant midi trancription

[www.zappa-analysis.com]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Black Page is a piece by American composer Frank Zappa known for being extraordinarily difficult to play.

Originally written for the drum set and melodic percussion, the piece was later rearranged in several versions, including a disco and a so-called New Age version.

Terry Bozzio says[1]: 'He wrote it because we had done this 40-piece orchestra gig together and he was always hearing the studio musicians in LA that he was using on that talking about the fear of going into sessions some morning and being faced with 'the black page'. So he decided to write his 'Black Page'. Then he gave it to me, and I could play parts of it right away. But it wasn't a pressure thing, it just sat on my music stand and for about 15 minutes every day for 2 weeks before we would rehearse, I would work on it. And after 2 weeks I had it together and I played it for him. And he said, "Great!" took it home, wrote the melody and the chord changes, brought it back in. And we all started playing it.'

On the live album Zappa in New York, Zappa noted the "statistical density" of the piece [2]. It is written in common time with extensive use of tuplets, including tuplets inside tuplets. At one point there is a half note triplet in which each beat is counted with its own tuplet of 5, 5 and 6. The song ends with a whole note tuplet of 11 and then two half note tuplets of 11. The result is that the melody is played and then played two more times, twice as fast.

Re: OT: Frank Zappa's Black Page (technical topic)
Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: January 15, 2008 00:58

Michael Brecker said that
he couldn't play it..

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 15, 2008 01:50

I remember back around 1989- 1990 a friend who lived in California went through one of the Zappa song books, I cannot recall exactly which one, but it was one where FZ did the transcriptions. My friend found mistakes and through friends of friends got to meet FZ at his house and he offered to re-transcribe his books. FZ was not interested and acknowledged the errors when pointed out. It was not worth the expense in reprinting considering the very few people who would actually catch the error.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 15, 2008 03:39

trainarollin
I remember back around 1989- 1990 a friend who lived in California went through one of the Zappa song books, I cannot recall exactly which one, but it was one where FZ did the transcriptions. My friend found mistakes and through friends of friends got to meet FZ at his house and he offered to re-transcribe his books. FZ was not interested and acknowledged the errors when pointed out. It was not worth the expense in reprinting considering the very few people who would actually catch the error.

WOW!

Zappa was a master.

His son Dweezil is doing fine in representing his father's work with Zappa Plays Zappa.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: January 15, 2008 06:26

yep. saw the Dweezil show back in September (I think it was Sept) Steve Vai was not in the line-up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home