Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Mick Jagger interview on italian newspaper about Exile Reissue
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 25, 2010 22:04

maumau
seems like my posts are quite transparent...confused smiley

i am italian and i have the print version of the newspaper

above the title of the interview it reads: "In arrivo 11 brani inediti"

That means: "11 unreleased tracks coming"

Ah, splendid news indeed!! smileys with beer

I will be a very happy man with that.

A DVD would be the icing on the cake but 11 tracks is good!!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 25, 2010 22:52

"11 unreleased tracks coming"

The most exciting Stones expectations since...waiting for "Tattoo You" after hearing Start Me Up - which was the last time I hoped for a Great Stones album.
That time it turned out to be true!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 25, 2010 23:01

Gazza
SwayStones

Yeah I think you got the point ,tatters .

My translation would be " 11 unreleased tracks but how many of them will come out ? "

A lot of this stuff can simply be lost in translation. Mick's speaking in English, translated into Italian (with some journalistic licence perhaps) and then re-translated into English via a very basic google translation.

'I have mixed 11 unreleased tracks' isnt even literally accurate anyway - Don Was did the mixing. However, I dont think at this stage they'd bother mixing that many 40-year old recordings if they werent going to release them. I would imagine they'd probably selected which songs were going to be included before getting to that stage, so I'm hopeful that the number quoted is accurate enough.

I know that Mick speaks English grinning smiley, I can speak some English sometimes & I can read some Italian too.winking smiley

The interview above could be in French...
I'd write the same :
11 unreleased tracks but a very few on Exile Reissue.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: January 25, 2010 23:08

maumau
at this point, the worst scenario would be: 3 new studio songs (already mentioned) plus 8 unreleased among demo and live versions of songs on the album

that's good news, thank you

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 26, 2010 00:14

skipstone
SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHTREEEEEEEEHEEEEEEETS OF LOVE.........

...oh,didn´t we learn recently this board´s monitored,hmmm,.........cold again......,snowing,brrrrrrrr.....

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:40

Wish they would just release the package details. Save us all the angst.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 26, 2010 03:46

OK, I've registered just to post this, though I've been lurking here for many years, I know it may appear I'm some sort of troll. An English bassist friend of mine who was viting Al for the NARM show, who has played with several very big groups and is friendly with Mick has told me two weeks ago that Jagger has dispatched Matt Clifford to a studio with nine unfinished songs for Mick Taylor to put overdubs on. I'm not a Taylorite myself, but I know this is going to 'cause a stir here. My friend didn't mention whether Mick intends to add new vocal overdubs, but I suspect that would be the case. I believe these tracks are separate to the eight that Don Was (who is also a friend) had mixed last year, which I would presume were more complete and included things like Good Time Woman. I have no idea how many songs they eventually intend to include.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 26, 2010 03:54

TeddyB1018
OK, I've registered just to post this, though I've been lurking here for many years, I know it may appear I'm some sort of troll. An English bassist friend of mine who was viting Al for the NARM show, who has played with several very big groups and is friendly with Mick has told me two weeks ago that Jagger has dispatched Matt Clifford to a studio with nine unfinished songs for Mick Taylor to put overdubs on. I'm not a Taylorite myself, but I know this is going to 'cause a stir here. My friend didn't mention whether Mick intends to add new vocal overdubs, but I suspect that would be the case. I believe these tracks are separate to the eight that Don Was (who is also a friend) had mixed last year, which I would presume were more complete and included things like Good Time Woman. I have no idea how many songs they eventually intend to include.

Oh, for Pete's sake! These tracks were recorded THIRTY-NINE YEARS ago! Just leave 'em the way they are!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 03:55 by tatters.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:53

......the news just gets better....but where the hell is Keith in all of this???

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:58

TeddyB1018

Teddy, you're not messing with us Taylorites, are you? I find it very hard to believe that Sir Mick would suddenly welcome NEW recording by Mick T. on a Rolling Stones project. Fantastic, sure. I just have a very hard time believing this.

Date: January 26, 2010 05:10

No, I'm not messing with you. Of course, this is Mick Jagger we're talking about, so who knows what he'll finally let through his "quality control." On the other hand, this mention of eleven unreleased tracks described as unfinished backs up what I was told. As for where Keith is in this -- that's what I want to know. I guess his guitar must be present on the original basic tracks, but it seems odd that he'd go for this without more input. There were Exile tracks that Jagger did with Taylor sans keith though. The whole thing is weird, but it is the Stones we're discussing!

Date: January 26, 2010 05:15

TeddyB1018
No, I'm not messing with you. Of course, this is Mick Jagger we're talking about, so who knows what he'll finally let through his "quality control." On the other hand, this mention of eleven unreleased tracks described as unfinished backs up what I was told. As for where Keith is in this -- that's what I want to know. I guess his guitar must be present on the original basic tracks, but it seems odd that he'd go for this without more input. There were Exile tracks that Jagger did with Taylor sans keith though. The whole thing is weird, but it is the Stones we're discussing!

Well, Teddy, I don't know if you have been following all the Taylor vs. Ronnie threads but if what you say is true I can't wait for all the people who said Taylor would never work with the Stones again to eat their proverbial hats. Good news indeed. Do you know if these alleged sessions have already started? And why Matt Clifford?

Date: January 26, 2010 05:34

I guess because Matt Clifford was/is Jagger's technical guy.

Date: January 26, 2010 05:35

By the way, I was someone who also thought Taylor would never again work with the Stones. Working with Stones tapes is, in a way, even stranger.

Date: January 26, 2010 06:25

TeddyB1018
By the way, I was someone who also thought Taylor would never again work with the Stones. Working with Stones tapes is, in a way, even stranger.

Dying to know the back story on this. Would have loved to have been there when Mick T. got the call from Jagger - or probably one of his "people".

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 26, 2010 10:43

maumau
seems like my posts are quite transparent...confused smiley

i am italian and i have the print version of the newspaper

above the title of the interview it reads: "In arrivo 11 brani inediti"

That means: "11 unreleased tracks coming"

Apologizes for this,maumau,I hadn't read your post before.
So your translation gives us hopes .smiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 26, 2010 10:56

no problem swaystones cool smiley
hope to find more detailed info on the XL magazine out in a couple of weeks where the entire interview is going to be printed

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 26, 2010 10:57

TeddyB1018

Well, studio work does not belong to a public realm so who is there doesn't really count; musicianship - contra images and other crap - is all that matters, and can be settled with money. I think it would not be a big thing for Jagger to ask Taylor to contribute on same tapes for a nice money.

But of course, it could be the case that Jagger is finally putting his old 1973 plan to work: Ronnie is replacing Keith and the Stones will go on with Wood-Taylor guitar axis...smoking smiley Wouldn't that also solute the Taylor/Wood debate once and for all? (as we indicate, Jagger has been lurking here, so he knows what is the big issue... )>grinning smiley<

Hey Mick! Bring Bill also back!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 11:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: January 26, 2010 12:22

At least Woody isn't overdubbing Taylor's lines.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 26, 2010 14:34

TeddyB1018

Intriguing, to say the least.

I dont mind some overdubbing being done by Taylor on unfinished songs, so long as there are several finished songs from the sessions which are included and which have been undoctored.

Not sure about how Jagger overdubbing vocals is going to work, though. Whilst its understandable that an unfinished songs usually would need a new vocal or something to make it releasable, Jagger doesn't really sing the same way now as he did then.

By the way, I didnt quite get what you meant by "viting Al for the NARM show".

Date: January 26, 2010 14:37

Gazza
TeddyB1018

I dont mind some overdubbing being done by Taylor on unfinished songs, so long as there are several finished songs from the sessions which are included and which have been undoctored.

Not sure about how Jagger overdubbing vocals is going to work, though. Whilst its understandable that an unfinished songs usually would need a new vocal or something to make it releasable, Jagger doesn't really sing the same way now as he did then.

Maybe he is doing some back up vocals? That may work.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 26, 2010 14:45

TeddyB1018

Thanks for the info Teddy. Looks like we are in for a veritable feast of "new" material.

As for bringing in Mick T - great stuff and perhaps to be expected as MJ is not likely to release these tracks if he feels they sound rough and unprofessional. But lets just hope the Stones pay Mick T this time around eh?! ;-)

Date: January 26, 2010 15:01

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
TeddyB1018

Maybe he is doing some back up vocals? That may work.

Yeah, that'd make more sense. Springsteen did something similar in '98 with a couple of the 1973 outtakes that were being remixed for his 'Tracks' boxed set. Got the band members in who had played on the original record (a couple of whom he hadnt worked with in well over two decades) and got a few backing vocals added. Having had the songs on bootlegs for two decades I noticed the difference, but you wouldnt have known the backing vocals were newly added instead of just assuming they'd been done in '73 but mixed out.

Date: January 26, 2010 16:36

Gazza
TeddyB1018

A 62-year old guitar player doing overdubs on recordings his band made when he was 23, a band he hasn't been a part of since he was 26, doesn't strike you as being somehow, inauthentic? I suppose I would have less of a problem with this than with VOCAL overdubs, though, and, as someone mentioned, at least RONNIE isn't going to do any overdubs. I hope.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 26, 2010 16:45

do we buy this story like this? it sounds unlikely to me but i'm ready to apologize it it's true.

Problem is that if true it is just ridicolous to fix songs 40 years later to release not as new material but as old material from the vaults

what i'm saying is that i would understand a "Tattoo you like" project but as a celebration/archival operation sounds awful. to me at least

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 26, 2010 16:50

Hello all,
I am not sure if this has answered or not but judging from what is on Nico's very informative site, I think 90% of the stuff is already in the public domain via boots. Wouldnt you agree?

I understand that Nico's site isn't 100% accurate but it seems to me that we probably have heard these "11 new tracks" already.

Date: January 26, 2010 16:56

doubt it. next to nothing has ever circulated from the Nellcote sessions and they recorded there for a couple of months. That probably explains why two of the songs mentioned havent even been heard of before.

And if youve heard the 3 tracks which have been confirmed so far, you're about the only person i've heard of who has.

Date: January 26, 2010 17:01

tatters
Gazza
TeddyB1018

A 62-year old guitar player doing overdubs on recordings his band made when he was 23, a band he hasn't been a part of since he was 26, doesn't strike you as being somehow, inauthentic? I suppose I would have less of a problem with this than with VOCAL overdubs, though, and, as someone mentioned, at least RONNIE isn't going to do any overdubs. I hope.

Of course its inauthentic. However, given the choice of an unfinished song staying unheard because it needed a guitar overdub or having it released with an overdub added, its better than nothing.

Like I said, I'd have more of a problem with it had this been the ONLY way we were getting unreleased material.

To be honest, if Taylor dubbed a guitar part on to a 1971 recording tomorrow and they released it in 3 months time, who could have told the difference if they'd kept quiet about it and the methods theyd used to finish the song hadnt been leaked? With new lead vocals, its a different ballgame entirely. A thousand times no to that idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 17:03 by Gazza.

Date: January 26, 2010 17:10

Gazza
tatters
Gazza
TeddyB1018

Of course its inauthentic. However, given the choice of an unfinished song staying unheard because it needed a guitar overdub or having it released with an overdub added, its better than nothing.

Like I said, I'd have more of a problem with it had this been the ONLY way we were getting unreleased material.

To be honest, if Taylor dubbed a guitar part on to a 1971 recording tomorrow and they released it in 3 months time, who could have told the difference if they'd kept quiet about it and the methods theyd used to finish the song hadnt been leaked? With new lead vocals, its a different ballgame entirely.

Like I said, instrumental overdubs might not bother me that much. In 2000, George Harrison released an expanded version of All Things Must Pass that had, as a bonus track, a version of Let It Down on which George and his son Dhani recorded overdubs together onto George's 1970 demo (which can be heard on the "Beware Of Abkco" bootleg). I prefer the undoctored demo, which features George's best-ever recorded vocal, but I also can't deny the beauty and poignancy of the overdubbed version. They're BOTH great, but only because BOTH versions feature the ORIGINAL 1970 VOCAL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 17:15 by tatters.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 26, 2010 18:31

[quote
previous post:
i wonder if Mick was content to leave things as they were and respect their own history...or tempted to "fix" (or "finish") with overdubs.

it's my understanding that in the writing/editing/recording process (for the Stones)...they only finish
the dozen+ songs that are likely to make it to the official album......which therefore means.. that the leftovers
are probably very unfinished. I'm fine with that..but I've always thought that Mick was not fine with
unfinished material being released....so, just wondering...
[/quote]

WOW! If true....SOunds like I wasn't that far off in my previous post.

I would be in favor of "finishing" unfinished songs (w/MT overdubs).
I agree with Gazza about Jagger vocals...but background vocals could work.
But , in general, not normally in favor of altering the Mona Lisa or even the "rough sketches".

Didn't know that Springsteen had done something similar. Was it referenced in the "liner notes"?
Will Mick & Stones publicize this (if true)?

This could really be interesting.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-26 19:05 by sweet neo con.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1308
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home