Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jagger and M.C Escher (Through The Past Darkly cover )
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 18, 2010 13:11

New Year's Day 1969, Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones initiates a series of letters to M.C.Escher because Jagger wanted to use an Escher piece on the jacket of a new LP, "Through The Past Darkly". Mick was one of MCE's biggest fans, but it seems the feeling was not mutual. As we know, Escher's musical taste was for classical music with an emphasis on J.S. Bach, whom Escher referred to as "Father Bach".

The following passage is from a 1974 Holland Herald :

"The artist (Escher) claimed he didn't have time, let alone the inclination, to cooperate with anyone who addressed him as:

Dear Maurits,
For quite some time now I have had in my possession your book (Graphic Works Of..) and it never ceases to amaze me each time I study it! In fact I think your work is quite incredible and it would make me very happy for a lot more people to see and know and understand exactly what you are doing.

In March or April this year, we have scheduled our next LP record for release, and I am most eager to reproduce one of your works on the cover-sleeve. Would you please consider either designing a "picture" for it, or have you any unpublished works which you might think suitable -the "optical illusion" idea very much appeals to me, although one like "Evolution" would of course be equally as suitable. -and would say the same thing. You might even like to do a long one like "Metamorphosis" which we could then reproduce as a folding-out sleeve. It could be either in one colour or full colour, that would be up to you entirely.

Naturally, both you and your publishers would get full credits on the sleeve, and we could negotiate a fee on hearing of your decision to do it. I would be most grateful if you could contact Peter Swales or Miss Jo Bergman at the above address or telephone (reverse charge), and either will give you every necessary assistance. However, I am not so fortunate as to possess a Dutch interpreter, and so if you do not speak English or French, I would again be grateful if you could fix up somebody in Baarn to oblige.

Yours very sincerely,
MICK JAGGER
for ROLLING STONES LTD.

Escher's reply left Baarn on January 20. It was addressed to Mr. Peter Swales and read:

Dear Sir,
Some days ago I received a letter from Mr. Jagger asking me to design a picture or to place at his disposal unpublished work to reproduce on the cover-sleeve for an LP record.

My answer to both questions must be no, as I want to devote all my time and attention to the many commitments I made; I cannot possibly accept any further assignments or spend any time on publicity.

By the way, please tell Mr. Jagger I am not Maurits to him, but
Very sincerely,
M. C. Escher.

In an ensuing letter, Mick Jagger asked for permission to use the Escher image "Verbum" a hexagonal image for which a hexagonal album cover would be designed, a request that was again denied. Escher claimed that he was not offended by the "over-familiarity" of Mick's letter, it was more that he received so many requests, and in all fairness to all the other refusals, he could not make an exception to that rule. The Stones LP entitled "Through The Past Darkly" was released as a hexagonally designed cover-sleeve."

Consequently, another band, Mott the Hoople produced a self-titled album in 1969 with a colorized Reptiles print on the cover.

This news item was corroborated with Jeff Price of Artist's Market. Jeff is extremely knowledgeable with regards to M.C. Escher originals

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: Jagger and M.C Escher (Through The Past Darkly cover )
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 18, 2010 13:18

Escher's Verbum:

They kept the hexagonal shape, but the "rebellious" nose-squeesing and glass-shattering images of the final release is quite a different cover...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 18, 2010 13:20

thank you, interesting read

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: January 18, 2010 13:23

NICE topic, SwayStones!

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 18, 2010 13:32

Mick Jagger was very young when he wrote that letter, and I assume it was in the spirit of the time to be unconventional. I am not a fan of Escher's, but I understand him. If I write a letter to an older man I have never met I would never adress him by his first name.

Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: January 18, 2010 14:26

The Ethan Russell photo is one of the great Stones album covers. I'm glad they didn't use this one.

Rob

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 18, 2010 14:49

windmelody
Mick Jagger was very young when he wrote that letter, and I assume it was in the spirit of the time to be unconventional. I am not a fan of Escher's, but I understand him. If I write a letter to an older man I have never met I would never adress him by his first name.

I agree. Mick's letter also shows that probably Mick thought a bit too much of himself at the moment. Surely he was in the top of his game, and the whole rock music scene was enjoying its most politically and culturally hectic and relevant moment... But not everyone was so fascinated of it, even though Mick's friends like Andy Warhol were...

- Doxa

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 18, 2010 16:19

I'm glad the Escher-cover never came. It's hard to imagine two artists more opposed to eachother: the clever, mathematical, paradoxist Escher vs the swaggering, rebellious, instinctive Stones.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: January 18, 2010 16:28

Just a footnote. Peter Swales, the Stones aide mentioned by Jagger in the letter to Escher, later became an authority on Sigmund Freud.
Janet Malcolm's In the Freud Archives - a hilarious book also to non-experts - has a portrait of Swales, with some references to the Stones.

[en.wikipedia.org])

Date: January 18, 2010 17:28

Oh ,I 've forgot to add the link ,here it is :

Scroll down to page 6 .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 18, 2010 17:35

Huh ?
The Stones LP entitled "Through The Past Darkly" was released as a hexagonally designed cover-sleeve

The record sleeve was an octagon, of course !

Date: January 18, 2010 18:06

Massimo68
Huh ?
The Stones LP entitled "Through The Past Darkly" was released as a hexagonally designed cover-sleeve

Oh yes ,I though he was refering to the first design ......well judged .smiling smiley

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 18, 2010 18:41

Greg
I'm glad the Escher-cover never came. It's hard to imagine two artists more opposed to eachother: the clever, mathematical, paradoxist Escher vs the swaggering, rebellious, instinctive Stones.

yeah, but that's true of Mott the Hoople as well. So why did he agree to have his piece used for their cover?

Date: January 18, 2010 18:51

windmelody

Yes,that's true.Hopefully Jagger didn't call Mr Escher " Mauckie "..

What a coïncidence ,Escher printed "Metamorphosis" in 1937 !

Date: January 18, 2010 18:58

cc
Greg

yeah, but that's true of Mott the Hoople as well. So why did he agree to have his piece used for their cover?

BTW ,did Mott the Hoople ask for his permission ?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 18, 2010 19:51

It worked out...The album cover Mick used was one of the best ever...So like many things in life it worked out..And in this case for the better.

Date: March 7, 2010 10:54

Its not just the boots.... this is the kind a sh*t i signed up at IORR for.. what an INTERESTING bloody read!!!!!!!
. made my . er. day..

Date: March 7, 2010 11:15

yes, I remember reading that. LOL, tell Jagger I am MISTER Escher, haha..
Wasn't there also a story where Miles Davis slammed the door in Jagger's face?

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 7, 2010 12:22

SwayStones
cc
Greg

BTW ,did Mott the Hoople ask for his permission ?

Who decided on the early Escher covers?
Ian: Guy Stevens, our manager. (I chose the one for the first solo album.)

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 8, 2010 16:11

Anything to do with the Beatles' white album outtakes "The Escher Tapes"?

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: March 8, 2010 16:21

you're thinking of The Esher Tapes, which were demos recorded at George Harrison's house in the town of Esher in England.

Date: March 8, 2010 16:30

Palace Revolution 2000
Wasn't there also a story where Miles Davis slammed the door in Jagger's face?

Yes, in 1970 if I am not mistaken,Jagger paid a visit to Miles Davis' place in New York.
Davis slammed the door at Jagger's face and said :"When I am in London,do I piss you of ? "

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: March 8, 2010 16:49

Tell Mr Escher that he should address Mick as Sir Michael.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 8, 2010 19:41

Deluxtone
Tell Mr Escher that he should address Mick as Sir Michael.

You can try, but don't expect any success. Mr. M.C. Escher died in 1972.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 8, 2010 19:49

M.C. Escher
Self Portarit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 23:47 by schillid.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: March 8, 2010 19:54

Sounds like an uptight jerk to me...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:04

Massimo68
Huh ?

So then this one must be a COLLECTOR'S ITEM!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-12 19:46 by schillid.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:10

bernardanderson
you're thinking of The Esher Tapes, which were demos recorded at George Harrison's house in the town of Esher in England.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 8, 2010 20:11

I know Maurits ...............sorry Mr Escher only from his drawings, this is the first time I see him live thanks to youtube

He sound a bit distinguished though

Part 1 out 3

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: March 9, 2010 05:16

windmelody

Oh please. His momma named him Maurits, I'm gonna call him Maurits.

However, it's nice to see someone take the piss out of Jagger.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home