Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Bridges" sessions outtakes?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: January 14, 2010 22:37

It's always made me wonder how we had this plethora of unreleased studio material from Voodoo Lounge (at least 10 cd's worth in my own collection), but NONE that I am aware of from the Bridges to Babylon album. Does anyone here have any knowledge of some leaked outtakes, alternates, or unreleased recordings from these sessions? Like the aborted Babyface-produced version of 'Already Over Me', or the rumored stripped-down version of 'Juiced'?

Re: "Bridges" sessions outtakes?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2010 22:41

After the Voodoo leak the screws were probably double tightened for Bridges ...

ROCKMAN

Date: January 14, 2010 22:47

Rockman

And that explanation does makes perfect sense, but virtually EVERY Stones album has had its share (and a wealth of in many cases) of bootlegged material to leak to the public. Why only now, well, 1997 I guess, with Bridges do we have none? Even 'Bigger Bang' had some alternate mixes leak out. The available outtake material to stem from the Bridges sessions has totaled ZERO over the years, and one would think that now - nearly 13 years after it's release - those 'screws' wouldn't be so tight anymore.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 14, 2010 22:55

From nzentgraf.de:

970313A 13th March - July: Los Angeles, California, Ocean Way Recording Studios.
Producers: The Glimmer Twins with Rob Fraboni, The Dust Brothers, Don Was, Kenny ‘Babyface’ Edwards, Danny Saber and Pierre de Beauport.
Additional musicians: Bernard Fowler (bvoc) / Blondie Chaplin (bvoc, perc, p,
bass) / Darryl Jones (bass, bvoc) / Don Was (keyb, bass) / Waddy Wachtel (gtr, bvoc) / Jim Keltner (perc, bvoc) / Jeff Sarli (bass) / Billy Preston (org) /
Pierre De Beauport (bass, p) / Joe Sublett (sax) / Darrell Leonard (tp) / Benmont Tench (keyb) / Danny Saber (bass, keyb, gtr, clavinet) /
Jamie Muhoberac (bass, keyb) / Kenny Aronoff (perc) / Clinton Clifford (org, p) / Me’Shell Ndegeocello (bass) / Doug Wimbish (bass, bvoc) / Wayne Shorter (sax)
- Already Over Me I (MJ/KR) -produced by Babyface; unverified
- Already Over Me II (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Always Suffering (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Anybody Seen My Baby? I (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Anybody Seen My Baby? II (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -single edit
- Anybody Seen My Baby? III (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Don Was Radio Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? IV (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -No Biz Edit
- Anybody Seen My Baby? V (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Armand Van Helden Rolling Steelo Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VI (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Soul Solution Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VII (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Soul Solution Vocal Dub
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VIII (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Bonus Roll Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? IX (MJ/KR) -Phil Jones Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? X (MJ/KR) -Casanova New Vocal Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? XI (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Call Out Hook
- Anyway You Look At It (MJ/KR) -B-side-version
- Don’t Apologize (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- Ever Changing World (MJ/KR) -unverified

- Flip The Switch I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Flip The Switch II (MJ/KR) -Clean version
- Flip The Switch III (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook #1
- Flip The Switch IV (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook #2
- Gunface (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- High Or Low (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- How Can I Stop (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- I’m Cured (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Low Down (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Might As Well Get Juiced (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Out Of Control I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Out Of Control II (MJ/KR) -Album Radio Edit
- Out Of Control III (MJ/KR) -Saber Final Mix
- Out Of Control IV (MJ/KR) -Saber Master With Fade
- Out Of Control V (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke
- Out Of Control VI (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke (Edit)
- Out Of Control VII (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke Instrumental
- Out Of Control VIII (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar At The Conrols
- Out Of Control IX (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar Outer Version
- Out Of Control X (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar’s Fat Controller Mix
- Out Of Control XI (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook
- Saint Of Me I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Saint Of Me II (MJ/KR) -Radio edit
- Saint Of Me III (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Club Mix Part 1
- Saint Of Me IV (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish (Grunge) Garage Dub
- Saint Of Me V (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Grunge Garage Remix (Parts 1 & 2)
- Saint Of Me VI (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Rolling Dub
- Saint Of Me VII (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Extended (Re)Mix
- Saint Of Me VIII (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Fade
- Saint Of Me IX (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Tee’s Freeze Dub
- Saint Of Me X (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Dub #2
- Saint Of Me XI (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook
- Thief In The Night (MJ/KR/Pierre de Beauport) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Too Tight (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- You Don’t Have To Mean It I (MJ/KR) -Buddy Holly-style; unverified
- You Don’t Have To Mean It II (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Young Love ( ) -KR, Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler on vocals, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, Jim Keltner on percussion, Don Was on bass; unverified

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-14 22:59 by erikjjf.

Date: January 14, 2010 23:32

erikjjf - that's very interesting. Never been aware of some of those titles - thanks!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 14, 2010 23:37

Keep in mind though that the Voodoo boots featured early rough unedited (like the take they used for the LP that features the part where Charlie's spring on the snare became undone and at some point it got put back on - on the LP version you can hear just a couple seconds of that, or the break for Love Is Strong that's twice as long as the LP version) mixes of the takes that would be used for the LP version for the songs that made the record plus B-sides. So it's not really 10 CDs worth of unreleased material.

Date: January 14, 2010 23:52

Well that was a broad comment I made, skipstone, but even ONE cd of unreleased material is far more than what came from the B2B sessions.

not that I am dying to hear any leftovers from those sessions, I just always found it curious how virtually nothing ever surfaced.

Date: January 14, 2010 23:57

OK. Wasn't sure what you meant. I have Brew and Stew. I was perplexed to find out there are more - but is it actually more unreleased or just more various mixes?

Date: January 15, 2010 00:13

skipstone
OK. Wasn't sure what you meant. I have Brew and Stew. I was perplexed to find out there are more - but is it actually more unreleased or just more various mixes?

Yes actually - there's Voodoo Residue. If you're not familiar with it, my understanding is that it's a 2 cd (combined w/brew and stew makes 10 cds hence my remark) odds and ends collection of very early infancy ideas that mostly Mick and Keith were coming up with for Voodoo. It's not exactly an enjoyable listen, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 15, 2010 01:12

Mick & Keith would rathe be killed than see the "Dust Bros" tapes leak >grinning smiley<

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: January 15, 2010 01:16

dcba
Mick & Keith would rathe be killed than see the "Dust Bros" tapes leak >grinning smiley<

Actually I think Keith would probably have had them burnt. Mick probably has them on heavy rotation on his iPod. You got the Ying and the Yang on that album.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 15, 2010 01:26

theimposter
Rockman

And that explanation does makes perfect sense, but virtually EVERY Stones album has had its share (and a wealth of in many cases) of bootlegged material to leak to the public. Why only now, well, 1997 I guess, with Bridges do we have none? Even 'Bigger Bang' had some alternate mixes leak out. The available outtake material to stem from the Bridges sessions has totaled ZERO over the years, and one would think that now - nearly 13 years after it's release - those 'screws' wouldn't be so tight anymore.

It doesnt help matters when the Stones have hardly recorded much in the last decade. Most stuff that has leaked down the years probably did so within the first 3-5 years after it was recorded. In most cases, if it hasnt leaked by then, it's unlikely to do so.

The 'Bang' mixes only leaked in 2007 because some guy whose company shared a storage facility with Sterling Sound Studios found a file called 'Rolling Stones' on a shared computer which pricked his curiousity and made copies of them. I downloaded them from him on soulseek - he told me that wasnt even aware that the material was otherwise uncirculated. (the recordings only exist on mp3 format. He had lossless versions of the song but lost them in a hard drive crash before they ever got circulated). The leak certainly didnt come directly from anyone at the Stones' organisation - unlike the Voodoo Lounge material.

The Steel Wheels material only appeared (in August 2006) after someone on Rocks Off uploaded a torrent of a tape marked 'Monitor Mixes' that he had been given by a friend of Chuch Magee's widow. Again, the leak didnt come from someone directly connected with the band.

I guess things have tightened up over the years. The original c90 of Dirty Work material that leaked in early 1987 came from a tape given to a fan in LA by Ronnie Wood (so I was told at the time anyway when I got a low gen copy a few weeks later)

There ARE a couple of discs worth of unreleased remixes of BTB songs though, aren't there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-15 01:27 by Gazza.

Date: January 15, 2010 01:43

I haven't seen any BTB out takes but Keith was at the time raving about an alternate version of might as well get juiced as I seem to remember.

NickB

Date: January 15, 2010 01:50

From what I've gathered any 'remixes' of any Bridges songs that were not officially released were all done by people at home with too much time on their hands to be making such shit "remixes". The only good remix of the officials was Saint Of Me. All the others have that beat shit going on that is just awful.

Date: January 15, 2010 01:55

Gazza, WOW some good information there. I hadn't heard much of that before! Anyway, regarding those unreleased mixes you speak of, I think this was basically just some goofball at home remixing the tracks on his computer. I had the misfortune of getting them back in '98 and they're barely listenable. Thanks again for your info.

Date: January 15, 2010 01:55

skipstone
From what I've gathered any 'remixes' of any Bridges songs that were not officially released were all done by people at home with too much time on their hands to be making such shit "remixes". The only good remix of the officials was Saint Of Me. All the others have that beat shit going on that is just awful.

You sure you ain't Keith? Computers huh. They just stink when it comes to Rock N Roll. Why does Keith put up with Micks persistence with the bloody things?

NickB

Date: January 15, 2010 01:56

Yeah Gazza - read what The Imposter said!

Date: January 15, 2010 02:17

skipstone

I wondered about that. They didnt seem quite right! Thanks for the info

Date: January 15, 2010 02:47

I only know of that based on a recent thread about those 'remixes'. Because I wondered the same thing. Nice artwork though - they look official.

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: January 15, 2010 04:55

I wonder if 'Young Love' is the old Sonny James song from 1957???
I wouldn't put it past them to cover such an obscure oddity

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 15, 2010 11:09

Gazza
theimposter
Rockman

It doesnt help matters when the Stones have hardly recorded much in the last decade. Most stuff that has leaked down the years probably did so within the first 3-5 years after it was recorded. In most cases, if it hasnt leaked by then, it's unlikely to do so.

The 'Bang' mixes only leaked in 2007 because some guy whose company shared a storage facility with Sterling Sound Studios found a file called 'Rolling Stones' on a shared computer which pricked his curiousity and made copies of them. I downloaded them from him on soulseek - he told me that wasnt even aware that the material was otherwise uncirculated. (the recordings only exist on mp3 format. He had lossless versions of the song but lost them in a hard drive crash before they ever got circulated). The leak certainly didnt come directly from anyone at the Stones' organisation - unlike the Voodoo Lounge material.

The Steel Wheels material only appeared (in August 2006) after someone on Rocks Off uploaded a torrent of a tape marked 'Monitor Mixes' that he had been given by a friend of Chuch Magee's widow. Again, the leak didnt come from someone directly connected with the band.

I guess things have tightened up over the years. The original c90 of Dirty Work material that leaked in early 1987 came from a tape given to a fan in LA by Ronnie Wood (so I was told at the time anyway when I got a low gen copy a few weeks later)

There ARE a couple of discs worth of unreleased remixes of BTB songs though, aren't there?

I heard a story - from the person who sold me Voodoo Stew and Voodoo Brew when they first came out - that the DAT tapes were left lying around by someone in a studio in LA one weekend. Someone took the tapes home, copied them overnight and returned them the next morning. From what I recall, Brew and Stew appeared very soon after the official album did.

Of course, the story could be bs, but it's a good 'un nonetheless.

Date: January 15, 2010 11:41

I've heard it was Ron Wood's nephew who sold the VL tapes but I could be wrong...

Date: January 15, 2010 15:00

Stepson, I believe. Whether he sold them or gave them away, I don't know.

Date: January 15, 2010 16:04

Gazza it's OT but could you tell us how you discovered the Auckland'73 tape?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 15, 2010 16:24

erikjjf
From nzentgraf.de:

970313A 13th March - July: Los Angeles, California, Ocean Way Recording Studios.
Producers: The Glimmer Twins with Rob Fraboni, The Dust Brothers, Don Was, Kenny ‘Babyface’ Edwards, Danny Saber and Pierre de Beauport.
Additional musicians: Bernard Fowler (bvoc) / Blondie Chaplin (bvoc, perc, p,
bass) / Darryl Jones (bass, bvoc) / Don Was (keyb, bass) / Waddy Wachtel (gtr, bvoc) / Jim Keltner (perc, bvoc) / Jeff Sarli (bass) / Billy Preston (org) /
Pierre De Beauport (bass, p) / Joe Sublett (sax) / Darrell Leonard (tp) / Benmont Tench (keyb) / Danny Saber (bass, keyb, gtr, clavinet) /
Jamie Muhoberac (bass, keyb) / Kenny Aronoff (perc) / Clinton Clifford (org, p) / Me’Shell Ndegeocello (bass) / Doug Wimbish (bass, bvoc) / Wayne Shorter (sax)
- Already Over Me I (MJ/KR) -produced by Babyface; unverified
- Already Over Me II (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Always Suffering (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Anybody Seen My Baby? I (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Anybody Seen My Baby? II (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -single edit
- Anybody Seen My Baby? III (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Don Was Radio Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? IV (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -No Biz Edit
- Anybody Seen My Baby? V (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Armand Van Helden Rolling Steelo Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VI (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Soul Solution Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VII (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Soul Solution Vocal Dub
- Anybody Seen My Baby? VIII (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Bonus Roll Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? IX (MJ/KR) -Phil Jones Remix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? X (MJ/KR) -Casanova New Vocal Mix
- Anybody Seen My Baby? XI (MJ/KR/k.d. lang/Ben Mink) -Call Out Hook
- Anyway You Look At It (MJ/KR) -B-side-version
- Don’t Apologize (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- Ever Changing World (MJ/KR) -unverified

- Flip The Switch I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Flip The Switch II (MJ/KR) -Clean version
- Flip The Switch III (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook #1
- Flip The Switch IV (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook #2
- Gunface (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- High Or Low (MJ/KR) -KR on vocals; unverified
- How Can I Stop (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- I’m Cured (MJ/KR) -unverified
- Low Down (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Might As Well Get Juiced (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Out Of Control I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Out Of Control II (MJ/KR) -Album Radio Edit
- Out Of Control III (MJ/KR) -Saber Final Mix
- Out Of Control IV (MJ/KR) -Saber Master With Fade
- Out Of Control V (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke
- Out Of Control VI (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke (Edit)
- Out Of Control VII (MJ/KR) -In Hand With Fluke Instrumental
- Out Of Control VIII (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar At The Conrols
- Out Of Control IX (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar Outer Version
- Out Of Control X (MJ/KR) -Bi-Polar’s Fat Controller Mix
- Out Of Control XI (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook
- Saint Of Me I (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Saint Of Me II (MJ/KR) -Radio edit
- Saint Of Me III (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Club Mix Part 1
- Saint Of Me IV (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish (Grunge) Garage Dub
- Saint Of Me V (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Grunge Garage Remix (Parts 1 & 2)
- Saint Of Me VI (MJ/KR) -Deep Dish Rolling Dub
- Saint Of Me VII (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Extended (Re)Mix
- Saint Of Me VIII (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Fade
- Saint Of Me IX (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Tee’s Freeze Dub
- Saint Of Me X (MJ/KR) -Todd Terry Dub #2
- Saint Of Me XI (MJ/KR) -Call Out Hook
- Thief In The Night (MJ/KR/Pierre de Beauport) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Too Tight (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- You Don’t Have To Mean It I (MJ/KR) -Buddy Holly-style; unverified
- You Don’t Have To Mean It II (MJ/KR) -Bridges To Babylon-version
- Young Love ( ) -KR, Blondie Chaplin and Bernard Fowler on vocals, Waddy Wachtel on guitar, Jim Keltner on percussion, Don Was on bass; unverified

Dammit - there are A LOT more remixes that I'm still missing from my collection!! Where the heck does one find all these other alternate ones??!

Date: January 15, 2010 16:24

Whatever the story is for the Voodoo boots, I'm glad the DATs got loose! Possibly the biggest insite ever to the making of an album by anyone.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: January 15, 2010 16:38

Gazza, I heard that not only with the VL outtakes, but also with that great New Barberians material released a few years ago by M. Valley, there was a leak in the Ronnie Wood camp.
Btw, same for the CD with the rehearsals for LIve Aid. Dylan, Wood and Richards.
Remember that release in great stereo soundboard!

Date: January 15, 2010 17:40

"I'm glad the DATs got loose!"

I as too but you couldn't help being alarmed by how much the final CD was poor and unexciting compared to the raw 10-cd glimpse.
That's when I started to think "ohh ohh are the Stones starting to lose it or what? How the hell did they pick the material for VL?"

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 15, 2010 20:17

seems like ron was the source of several major leaks... maybe his relative lack of involvement from Bridges forward is the reason fewer tapes have appeared.

Date: January 15, 2010 20:41

dcba
Gazza it's OT but could you tell us how you discovered the Auckland'73 tape?

As some of you probably know, I'm also a big Dylan fan. Was trading tapes around 1994 with a guy from Auckland and happened to mention in my letter that I was a Stones collector as well. He mailed me back and said he'd seen the Stones once - in Auckland in 1973 - and had actually recorded the show. Being only new to trading circles, he'd never traded it, and was amazed when I informed him that no recording of the show had ever circulated.

He was happy to do a trade for the master of it. He only recorded 11 of the 14 songs that were performed because his batteries ran out. There have been bootleg CDs (not made by me) of this show down the years which include a 14-song set, but regardless of what it may say on the label to the contrary, the last 3 songs (Rip This Joint/JJ Flash/Street Fighting Man) have been added from another show - they weren't recorded. Its a pretty good recording and I've even seen it listed as a possible soundboard - it isn't, it was just taped very close to a speaker and crowd noise is minimal.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home