Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alternate Brown Sugar and Wild Horses on Hot Rocks
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:11

Can anyone tell me more about the versions of these two tracks that were mistakenly issued on early pressings of Hot Rocks?

Re: Alternate Brown Sugar and Wild Horses on Hot Rocks
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:38

[eil.com]

Upon its initial pressing (Nov. 18, 1971), alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses were included on the Hot Rocks master plate. These versions first appeared in the brilliant 1970 documentary Gimme Shelter. Since there was no clear reference to their origin on the album cover, sleeve or label, one must look at the trail-off vinyl (the smooth vinyl located nearest the disc label) and look for the word Shelley and the date 11-18-71.

The identifying mark is not easy to locate or read, but the mystery does not end if and when it is found. It seems that this "alternate pressing" was soon pulled in favor of a set which contained the single versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses. However, Shelley wasn't quite done, as the name reappeared for a short time afterwards with either a later date, or no date at all.

The songs themselves differ greatly from the known versions. Brown Sugar is a lot closer to the demo version heard in the hotel room sequence of the Gimme Shelter movie while Wild Horses has some noticeable vocal reverb.

The original Shelley 11-18-71, with the alternate takes, rarely surfaces and is among the top ten US collectables.

The labels are light blue and silver originals with boxed London logo and 'Stereophonic' text.
The all important word 'Shelley' has been hand scratched on all four sides with the date 11-18-71 scratched into the run out groove on side four. Also present in the run out groove of side four is the XZAL11018 matrix number and 'STERLING' has been machine stamped.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:51

I don´t have this LP, unfortunately - but I´ve downloaded the 2 tracks from (I think) The Black Box disc 4. They are in mono.
Brown Sugar is supposedly the same version as on A Shot Of Salvation (track 1). That one I have, but it is in stereo.

Are the tracks in stereo or mono on Hot Rocks?
And is Brown Sugar in the same mix on Hot Rocks/A Shot of Salvation or not?

Date: January 3, 2010 19:49

Anyone have a link where I can hear the tracks?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:04

Email me 71Tele

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 3, 2010 22:42

Just listened to alternate Brown Sugar (courtesy of Deltics). Same version as GS movie hotel room scene, but whole track. Fascinating. The slightly out of tune country licks that were not used on the official release sound like Keith. They're too simple to be MT.

Date: January 3, 2010 23:11

71Tele
Just listened to alternate Brown Sugar (courtesy of Deltics). Same version as GS movie hotel room scene, but whole track. Fascinating. The slightly out of tune country licks that were not used on the official release sound like Keith. They're too simple to be MT.

Yes, it must be Keith trying some overdubs. Luckily this was not used on the finished version...tongue sticking out smiley
Is it in stereo or mono?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2010 23:24

Basement News - June 1995

ROCKMAN

Date: January 3, 2010 23:31

Nice one, Rockman!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2010 23:33

.....pleasure roots ......

ROCKMAN

Date: January 3, 2010 23:45

Excellent Rockman! I wonder how those versions ended up being mastered and pressed in the first place? THAT might make an interesting story.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 4, 2010 00:23

John Rutherford is the much missed Stonesrelics, come back JR!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: January 4, 2010 00:41

Deltics
He can be found here: [mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 4, 2010 01:40

mickijaggeroo
Deltics
He can be found here: [mickijaggeroo.proboards.com]

Thanks for mention this mickijaggeroo, just signed in so I can check his collection ones in a while

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 4, 2010 02:38

rootsman
71Tele

Yes, it must be Keith trying some overdubs. Luckily this was not used on the finished version...tongue sticking out smiley
Is it in stereo or mono?

They are both in stereo on the original mispress LP.

There's also a fantastic version of Wild Horses circulating similar to the shelly Hot Rocks version but with added organ. Someone here said once it was a fake but I don't believe it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 4, 2010 03:13

Deltics

thumbs up

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 4, 2010 04:28

A side by side listen to the hotel room seqeunce in GIMME SHELTER and the alternate"Hot Rocks" version of Brown Sugar will reveal that they are NOT identical.
The lead guitar in both is the same, as is the basic backing track. However, the "Hot Rocks" version appears to be a "sampler" tape of different drum tracks, punched in by an engineer at various times as the song progresses. At one point, two different (and quite off beat) drum tracks are playing simultaneously. The Stones surely never mixed the song this way...it is clearly some kind of 'working tape" done by engineers for mixing evaluation. And is not pleasant to listen to.
It IS the complete song, as opposed to the version in the film which features only the first minute and a half of the song.
The Wild Horses found on Hot Rocks is also slightly different from that found in the film. Again, it is a complete version of the song, as opposed to the edited one in the movie. But it appears to feature all the instrumentation as heard in the movie, albeit with a bit of echo on Jagger's voice. And the Jim Dickinson piano is mixed louder than what is heard in the film.
The version of Brown Sugar on "Shot of Salvation" is a close approximation of the GIMME SHELTER version, but has the drums mixed way down until after the first verse.
I have searched for years for a complete listenable mix of the movie version of BS and finally gave up and mixed one (or two ) of my own....

Date: January 4, 2010 06:01

Also no lead guitar on the alt Wild Horses.

Date: January 4, 2010 13:10

Thanks for the info, Hillside Blues and thkbeercan!

The Wild Horses version with organ and pedal steel is great - never heard that it is a fake... (it´s on VGP´s Nasty Habits CD I think)

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 4, 2010 13:46

Yes, you're right. It's on Nasty Habits, although I've never heard the VGP version, only the original.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 4, 2010 14:20

The first to get it right. The versions on Hot Rocks aren't the same as in the GS movie.

thkbeercan
A side by side listen to the hotel room seqeunce in GIMME SHELTER and the alternate"Hot Rocks" version of Brown Sugar will reveal that they are NOT identical.
The lead guitar in both is the same, as is the basic backing track. However, the "Hot Rocks" version appears to be a "sampler" tape of different drum tracks, punched in by an engineer at various times as the song progresses. At one point, two different (and quite off beat) drum tracks are playing simultaneously. The Stones surely never mixed the song this way...it is clearly some kind of 'working tape" done by engineers for mixing evaluation. And is not pleasant to listen to.
It IS the complete song, as opposed to the version in the film which features only the first minute and a half of the song.
The Wild Horses found on Hot Rocks is also slightly different from that found in the film. Again, it is a complete version of the song, as opposed to the edited one in the movie. But it appears to feature all the instrumentation as heard in the movie, albeit with a bit of echo on Jagger's voice. And the Jim Dickinson piano is mixed louder than what is heard in the film.
The version of Brown Sugar on "Shot of Salvation" is a close approximation of the GIMME SHELTER version, but has the drums mixed way down until after the first verse.
I have searched for years for a complete listenable mix of the movie version of BS and finally gave up and mixed one (or two ) of my own....

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:48

What does this sell for when it does show up on auction?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 27, 2010 18:32

So now I got mine! smiling bouncing smiley

After being @#$%& one time on ebay,
this one IS the HR with the two alternate takes.

I just want to know: All four sides have "Shelley" (handwritten)
and STERLING (stamped).

But: Only sides 2 and (of course) 4 have the handwritten date 11-18-71.

Any insight? Are there more copies like this?

Date: February 4, 2010 09:24

Posted by: Mister J ()
Date: February 4, 2010 10:08

TooTough
[cgi.ebay.de]

This one is incomplete : It MUST have full color innersleeves showing LP covers, one of them is "Between the buttons" on top left.

Date: February 4, 2010 11:37

TooTough
So now I got mine! smiling bouncing smiley

After being @#$%& one time on ebay,
this one IS the HR with the two alternate takes.

I just want to know: All four sides have "Shelley" (handwritten)
and STERLING (stamped).

But: Only sides 2 and (of course) 4 have the handwritten date 11-18-71.

Any insight? Are there more copies like this?

classic matrix for the alternate pressing :

matrix side 1 XZAL 11015 Shelley STERLING 2 LH
matrix side 2 XZAL 11016 Shelley 11-18-71 STERLING 3 LH
matrix side 3 XZAL 11017 Shelley STERLING 3 LH
matrix side 4 XZAL 11018 Shelley 11-18-71 STERLING 2 LH

rarer matrix for the alternate pressing (only difference is on side 3)

matrix side 1 XZAL 11015 Shelley STERLING 2 LH
matrix side 2 XZAL 11016 Shelley 11-18-71 STERLING 3 LH
matrix side 3 SHELLEY XZAL 11017 3 STERLING 3 LH
matrix side 4 XZAL 11018 Shelley 11-18-71 STERLING 2 LH

I have editions with 12-3-71 and 12-6-71 on side 4, but they includes the regular versions of BS & WH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-02-04 11:40 by Mister J.

Date: February 4, 2010 14:58

Mister J
TooTough
[cgi.ebay.de]

This one is incomplete : It MUST have full color innersleeves showing LP covers, one of them is "Between the buttons" on top left.

Haha, good one. The alternate versions are much easier to get than the
innersleeves, or what?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 4, 2010 16:22

These being included on the first copies of Hot Rocks was no mistake from what I heard. There was still some doubt at the time over Kleins rights to the masters due to the recently settled lawsuit is what I read(or maybe the availability of the tapes?) Maybe someone can elighten us. Also has anyone ever noticed that the original London release had the "guitar intro" Time Is On My Side" and the later "digitally remastered" red label London/Abkco uses the "organ intro" version?

Date: February 4, 2010 17:01

TooTough
Mister J
TooTough
[cgi.ebay.de]

Haha, good one. The alternate versions are much easier to get than the
innersleeves, or what?

The alternate versions are easy to get on a lot of bootleg CD's.

If you want to bid on an original Hot Rocks 2LP-set with alternate versions, the set must be complete. That's what I mean.

Date: February 4, 2010 17:17

Mister J
The alternate versions are easy to get on a lot of bootleg CD's.

If you want to bid on an original Hot Rocks 2LP-set with alternate
versions, the set must be complete. That's what I mean.

No problem, J, there are still some collectors trying to get official
stuff on official releases.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home