Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rolling STONES connection with World War II
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 20, 2009 21:47

Honestman
I think that like many people, they've heard about WWII by their family,

Pascal,you've got an e-mail Check it out pleasesmiling smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 20, 2009 21:57

Honestman
How Keith or Brian could remembered anything from WWII?
I think that like many people, they've heard about WWII by their family,
and that could be an explanation to try to understand why they used to wear Uniforms or collect Nazi things.
I could get that point as an act of exorcism ...

For Guy PEELAERT, i have some doubts about the man and his ideology...

the impact of WW2 on the people of Europe was felt for decades afterwards. It was the most significant event of the entire 20th century.

Even without remembering much or anything about it, they still would have been affected by it - for example, the fact that there was food rationing in the UK until as late as 1954.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 20, 2009 22:29

Gazza
Even without remembering much or anything about it, they still would have been affected by it - for example, the fact that there was food rationing in the UK until as late as 1954.

I remember Bill talking about this in Rolling With... and attributing rationing for growth stunt in the post-war years.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 20, 2009 22:29

he's probably right in that regard. People were still undernourished for some time after WW2.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: December 20, 2009 23:35

I'm sure Keith doesn't have any personal memories of the bombings. He probably heard a lot of stories about them during childhood.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2009 23:57

Quite so.

Keith's generation and the next mostly had parents or family who served in WWII.

In the fifties and through the sixties it was still an event fresh in many memories...

...and as influential events go, it was quite a significant one !

Keith talks about remembering the War years and being evacuated to Mansfield... but what he's probably remembering is the tales his mum told him when he was four or five, which is about as early as most folks' adult memories go back.
There are events in my first years which I'd swear I can remember but really can't.
It's just that they were drummed into me throughout my early years. These family instilled "memories" can have big influence on your outlook and interests for life.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 20, 2009 23:58

I remember reading an interview where Keith was talkiing about growing up just after WW2 and how as a kid there were empty fields in the middle of the neighborhood where buildings had been bombed out. He theorized that because they grew up in the aftermath of WW2 that could have subconsciencely inspired the title of the Aftermath Album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-21 00:00 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home