Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Doncha Bother Me
Posted by: René ()
Date: December 14, 2009 10:20

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Doncha Bother Me
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

RCA Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, December 3 - 8, 1965

Mick Jagger - vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric slide guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Jack Nitzsche - percussion

I said: Oh no, doncha follow me no more
Well, I'm looking for my face and I got no place to go

Well, pick your own mind and don't touch mine no more

Still waiting here for a single idea
In your clothes and your hair, I wore it last year
Oh no, doncha follow me no more

I said: Oh no, doncha copy me no more
I said: Oh no, doncha copy me no more
Well, the lines round my eyes are protected by a copyright law

Well, all the clubs and the bars and the little red cars
Not knowing why, but trying to get high
Oh no, doncha follow me no more

Doncha follow
Doncha follow

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Aftermath” LP
(Decca SKL 4786) UK, April 15, 1966

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 11:54 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Doncha Bother Me
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 14, 2009 11:31

Great song, as all the Aftermath songs are great

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 14, 2009 11:42

Incredibly good lyrics. In just a few lines Mick is scetching a very rich image here.
Perfect song in combination with other Aftermath songs like Think, Stupid girl, It's not easy
and Under my thumb.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 14, 2009 21:27

If I didn't know this had been written in 1965 I'd have thought it was about those obsessive fans who later tried to copy Keith's every move - the lines round the eyes and the getting high... However, whoever the subject is, the lyrics are right on target.

I guess "Jack Nitzsche - percussion" is responsible for the opening/closing drumbeats while Charlie does the more conventional drumming?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 14, 2009 22:14

>> In just a few lines Mick is sketching a very rich image here <<

Mick & Keith, isn't it? i mean: to me this lyric sounds like a collaboration

Aftermath's irresistible quirkiness ... can't get enough! :E

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 14, 2009 22:32

Sure this is Jagger on harmonica? Sounds more like Jones to me.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-20 13:59 by Mathijs.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 14, 2009 22:39

Infactions groove, thumping Beat, funny lyrics, slide guitar, catchy harmonica part...what is there NOT to like about this song?

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 14, 2009 23:48

With it's cruel, dismissive gesture towards a former lover, played to a seemingly care-free, loose/tight, bluesy/raunchy arrangement, this song epitomises the inherent anti-feminist theme of the album, and in doing so, provides the very antithesis of the all-too-prevalent, smaltzy love songs of the time.

The arrangement is gloriously understated with the harmonica helping to add to the general languid atmosphere of the song, punctuated only by an occasional bar or two of raunch at the end of each of each verse.

...minimalism at it's very best.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: December 15, 2009 00:39

One of my personal favorite Stones songs. Simple but brilliant with a nice bridge bringing the whole thing together.

Date: December 15, 2009 01:48

That's the thing: nobody but people here even know this song. Totally obscure. And still it is priceless.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 15, 2009 09:23

Doncha Bother Me i feel has been completely overlooked generally, which is really unfortunate as it's one of the few songs on Aftermath that really reflects the Stones blues roots, and it does so extremely well. It may not be amongst the standout tracks in terms of inspiration and song quality on Aftermath, but like say Hide Your Love off Goats Head Soup, it's a very neat and effective song and the more it is listened to the more it is appreciated. I'd actually go as far as to say it's one of the songs i think of first when playing the album. Lyrically, it very much represents the sort of male chauvanist attitude of Under My Thumb and Stupid Girl, and many other of the songs from the 66-67 period, but musically it comes from a much earlier time. It's very much an unearthed treasure for many.

Posted by: René ()
Date: December 15, 2009 11:45

Mathijs
Sure this is Jagger on harmica? Sounds more like Jones to me.

Mathijs

Not sure either, both Zentgraff and Hoffman credit Jagger on harmonica.
Tricky one, to me the harmonica part doesn't have a typical Jones or Jagger trademark.

René

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 15, 2009 12:34

Misogynism never sounded so good. Stupid Girl, Under My Thumb, Out Of Time, Think and of course Doncha Bother Me - the put downs came thick and fast on this album. Chrissie Shrimpton must have had a heart attack when she first heard it as it was moreorless a kiss off to her.
I also love the way it merges a very cool down south country/soul feel with a kind of druggy, London about to go psychedelic vibe. The Stones and The Beatles with Revolver were way ahead of the pack, in the UK at least, in capturing that new psychedelic pop vibe and it unfurls itself here with some really unusual arrangements, new sounds such as Brian's marimba and Keith's guitar on Mother's Little Helper and those sneering lyrics.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:29

Not a big fan of Aftermath, but Doncha Bother me is one of the all-time great rare Stones gems. It shows why Brian was one of the greatest bottleneck players of all time.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 16, 2009 03:54

slight edit, steve...

stevecardi
Not a big fan of Aftermath, but Doncha Bother me is one of the all-time great rare Stones gems. It shows why Brian was one of the greatest bottleneck players [to be born in the United Kingdom].

Date: December 16, 2009 06:56

cc
slight edit, steve...

stevecardi
Not a big fan of Aftermath, but Doncha Bother me is one of the all-time great rare Stones gems. It shows why Brian was one of the greatest bottleneck players [to be born in the United Kingdom].

Thanks CC. Brian was great, but Robert and Elmore are the greatest!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:20

My favorite song of "Aftermath" located between Blues and Rock. Belongs to the songs you can give as an example if you want to make somebody clear what is the musical profile of our band.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:29

Green Lady

I guess "Jack Nitzsche - percussion" is responsible for the opening/closing drumbeats while Charlie does the more conventional drumming?

I suppose so.....those little rolls that start and stop the song...

Being a drummer I always noticed those too ....nice to see someone else noticed them too....

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 16, 2009 19:29

It's almost as if the idea for the song started from somebody drumming their fingers to that rhythm and then all the rest was built over it.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 17, 2009 00:01

Something of interest is that Brian's slide guitar only plays the slide on A if I remember right, it doesn't play anything else during the entire track, just that obvious slide bit. Other guitars play the chuck berry rhythm etc.

Date: December 17, 2009 01:13

His Majesty
Something of interest is that Brian's slide guitar only plays the slide on A if I remember right, it doesn't play anything else during the entire track, just that obvious slide bit. Other guitars play the chuck berry rhythm etc.

That's correct, and he also plays the prominant notes during the bridge.

Date: December 17, 2009 01:17

cc
slight edit, steve...

stevecardi

Brian Jones brought the slide guitar to the masses, being the first white boy to play it in front of audiences around the world on television. For that reason alone, he is one of the most important slide players ever.

Date: December 17, 2009 12:19

neptune
His Majesty

That's not the same guitar track though.

The open E tuned guitar only plays the obvious slide part, nothing else.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: December 17, 2009 16:04

Green Lady
It's almost as if the idea for the song started from somebody drumming their fingers to that rhythm and then all the rest was built over it.

Jack Nitzsche - percussion (table top)

lol

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: December 17, 2009 19:33

They have such a huge catalogue of songs to pick one and make it your own by covering it. This one and "Almost Hear You Sigh" would be my picks if I were a singer.

Date: December 20, 2009 01:19

neptune
cc
slight edit, steve...

stevecardi

Brian Jones brought the slide guitar to the masses, being the first white boy to play it in front of audiences around the world on television. For that reason alone, he is one of the most important slide players ever.

Exactly, without Brian, there would be no Duane Allmann or Ry Cooder!

Date: December 20, 2009 01:21

billwebster
They have such a huge catalogue of songs to pick one and make it your own by covering it. This one and "Almost Hear You Sigh" would be my picks if I were a singer.

"Almost Hear You Sigh": last great Stones ballad.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 20, 2009 14:11

His Majesty
neptune
His Majesty

That's not the same guitar track though.

The open E tuned guitar only plays the obvious slide part, nothing else.

Are you sure? Brian's part sounds like it could be one track. He plays the obvious slide, and then continues with the Berry rythm, all in open E. Only at the very end both parts can be heard together, but the Berry guitar sounds a bit different, which could indicate an overdub.

Keith does all the counter notes in the other channel, and the acoustic guitar.

And I am pretty sure that's Brian on harmonica.

Mathijs

Date: December 20, 2009 14:18

Mathijs

Are you sure? Brian's part sounds like it could be one track. He plays the obvious slide, and then continues with the Berry rythm, all in open E. Only at the very end both parts can be heard together, but the Berry guitar sounds a bit different, which could indicate an overdub.

Keith does all the counter notes in the other channel, and the acoustic guitar.

And I am pretty sure that's Brian on harmonica.

Mathijs

I'm sure the berry part isn't played by the same open E slide guitar, that it is a separate guitar.

Doesn't mean I'm right though, just a conclusion I came to after working out parts awhile ago. I can't remember, but perhaps there's a bit where they overlap or something!? I don't have the album anymore.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 24, 2010 17:58

One of my favorites on the album. I would love to hear it live today.

Now the title says Doncha Bother Me but in the lyrics its Doncha Follow Me not once is Doncha Bother Me in the lyrics list.

I does sound like "Doncha Follow Me" but its hard to tell if they say "Doncha Bother Me" anywhere.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home