Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

One faux pas by Mick? Two? Or none?
Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 23, 2006 22:54

According to published reports, Bonnie Raitt cleaned up from drug and alcohol use 18 years ago.

So, at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday night, after Mick thanked Bonnie for performing earlier in the evening, was it bad form for him to speculate (in jest, as it turned out) that Bonnie was "probably in her hotel room, sipping Champagne"?

On the other hand, was it bad form to have her sing the line in Dead Flowers about "being in my basement room, with a needle and a spoon"?

Could any of this have accounted for the nervous expression I read on Bonnie's face?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-11-23 22:57 by Monkeylad.

Re: One faux pas by Mick? Two? Or none?
Date: November 23, 2006 22:59

i think the nervous look was more due to the fact that she screwed up her vocals on the 2nd verse . . .

you can't catch me!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 23, 2006 23:03

While her expression throughout was a bit strained, I don't think it had anything to do with what Mick said.

The hotel room/champagne line was to set up the "surprise" of her performing.

I think everyone knew she was just singing the line in the song. It was no more odd than her adding "And another girl to take my pain away."

Although that stirs up quite a visual.

(Also of note, Ricky Fatarr, former Bump Band member was her drummer. He and Blondie Chaplin were both members of the Carl Wilson-produced South African band Flame, and also were official members of the Beach Boys in the early 70's)

Posted by: Monkeylad ()
Date: November 23, 2006 23:44

Ah, thanks for the background on Bonnie's drummer, Loog. I thoroughly enjoyed their set and I am embarrassed for acting pissy when I heard that she was the opening act for Dodger Stadium. I'm impressed enough to think about catching her when she comes to town as a headliner.

I love the Beach Boys of the Holland LP era.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 24, 2006 07:19

Holland-era BBs are great. Ricky and Blondie also appear on the "Carl and the Passions--So Tough" and "Beach Boys In Concert" albums.

Both were somehow overlooked in Brian's notes that appear in the booklet that comes with the Good Vibrations box set. He thanks all the Beach Boys by name and includes Bruce and David Marks, but forgets Ricky and Blondie. I guess he was in kind of a fog during those years, but I wish someone had caught that glitch.

Another Ricky Fatarr credit of note: He was one of The Rutles!

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 24, 2006 08:46

If she is truly clean and sober, she would have nothing to be nervous about, and she'd have a sense of humor about what Mick said for sure. No worries, I'd think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home