Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jann Wenner Stones Content
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 2, 2009 22:33

You might want to check out www.jannswenner.com where the publisher of Rolling Stone shares his "history." Of course, there is a prominent photo of Mick in Jann's office depicted on his home page.

I've always been disappointed that Wenner is also the publisher of US Weekly, one of the most notorious celeb gossip rags in America. Not so cool. As Tiger Woods would doubtless agree, considering the way the magazine is ripping his personal life apart.

Re: Jann Wenner Stones Content
Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: December 2, 2009 23:38

Wenner is the ultimate Capitalist Pig pretending to be a leftist revolutionary. A complete @#$%& imho

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 3, 2009 00:39

only too eager to turn a fight at a festival (page seven two column shortie as the writers and editiors thought appropriate)...into the altamont death gimme shelter iconography....suckers.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: December 3, 2009 01:40

only too eager to turn a fight at a festival (page seven two column shortie as the writers and editiors thought appropriate)...into the altamont death gimme shelter iconography....suckers.

I agree, that's a good point I never realized. I don't know if it started with just Rolling Stone or if others helped, but how did this get turned into such a big deal? Because it was one of the first, maybe even the first tragedy of it's type? Maybe it comes down to that and the time period in which happened, but there have been other tragedies at concerts just as bad if not worse. Off the top of my head, the Who's concert in Cincinnati was worse, multiple people were trampled on, and during Gun's n Roses '88 Monsters of Rock appearance two people were crushed. Regardless of any lingering lawsuits and whatnot they've had to deal with, neither of these groups is still carrying around much baggage from these incidents. They are largely forgotten, and when a band bio or history is written, they are usually briefly mentioned and not given the same notoriety as Altamont. I'm sorry, but I think this did get hyped up by Rolling Stone, the Gimme Shelter film, and others. I know it was right after the triumph of Woodstock, and the whole day was messed up to begin with, what with the Hell's Angels and all, but one guy is killed during a Stones show and suddenly they're the dangerous bad boys of rock, and it follows them for the rest of their careers? Both the Cincinnati and Monsters of Rock shows were messed up too, with too many kids crammed in together under bad conditions, and largely not within either bands control. Why is it so different with Altamont, is it just because of the Hell's Angels and the fact it was so soon after Woodstock? One guy gets killed, one guy, and the all the idealized hippie dreams of the late 1960's end in tragedy and the Stones are the ones responsible? Please.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 3, 2009 01:50

stonesrule
You might want to check out www.jannswenner.com where the publisher of Rolling Stone shares his "history." Of course, there is a prominent photo of Mick in Jann's office depicted on his home page.

That pic of Mick was taken at the Stones offices in Soho on Maddox Street in Summer 1969 by Ethan Russell, not Jann's office.

His webpage is a load of toss as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-03 01:53 by HEILOOBAAS.

Date: December 3, 2009 04:14

No, Jann's "office" didn't take the photo. And neither was Wenner on the 1782 tour.

Date: December 3, 2009 07:13

boogie1969

I agree, that's a good point I never realized. I don't know if it started with just Rolling Stone or if others helped, but how did this get turned into such a big deal? Because it was one of the first, maybe even the first tragedy of it's type? Maybe it comes down to that and the time period in which happened, but there have been other tragedies at concerts just as bad if not worse. Off the top of my head, the Who's concert in Cincinnati was worse, multiple people were trampled on, and during Gun's n Roses '88 Monsters of Rock appearance two people were crushed. Regardless of any lingering lawsuits and whatnot they've had to deal with, neither of these groups is still carrying around much baggage from these incidents. They are largely forgotten, and when a band bio or history is written, they are usually briefly mentioned and not given the same notoriety as Altamont. I'm sorry, but I think this did get hyped up by Rolling Stone, the Gimme Shelter film, and others. I know it was right after the triumph of Woodstock, and the whole day was messed up to begin with, what with the Hell's Angels and all, but one guy is killed during a Stones show and suddenly they're the dangerous bad boys of rock, and it follows them for the rest of their careers? Both the Cincinnati and Monsters of Rock shows were messed up too, with too many kids crammed in together under bad conditions, and largely not within either bands control. Why is it so different with Altamont, is it just because of the Hell's Angels and the fact it was so soon after Woodstock? One guy gets killed, one guy, and the all the idealized hippie dreams of the late 1960's end in tragedy and the Stones are the ones responsible? Please.

wenner a super promoter not unlike mick j. hype master pt barnum kinda hustler w some cash behind him....think of all the magazines it has sold over forty years, all the crap writers come up with endlessly about 'the end of an era" and somesuch....it's candy. chewy...what's more sexy than death to wenner? tenth anniversary of jim's tragic death cover is sex shot 'he's young he's sexy he's dead' or some such...
it's tabloid crap...they had wonderful wonderful writers and editors along the way....a super pub at first than for years...the stones marketers plenty complicit w editing etc....to make a shakespearean drama out of the documentary...

money money money and hype hype hype is all it's about. people loved to be tittilated and the non-thinkers love the easy 'sexy''danger' iconography...
as a promo project with tremendous cross promo for the movie and mag...it's brilliant...as a matter of social significance and great mythos...it's bullshit.
bullshit for suckers with too much money, not enough original thought or critical perspective....hey it's fun....motorcyle gang, white chick w black guy in the sixties...rock and roll glam etc....
an irresponsible quickie festival with a fight...as i said, and somewhere in the archives i've offered direct quotations from peeps that worked with jann at the mag in the earliest going...he's full o shit...colonel parker...mick's his elvis sorta....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 3, 2009 09:08

Beelyboy

I never thought about it quite the way... Interesting point... did other media also make a lot of the story at the time ?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 3, 2009 11:34

stonesrule

I went to www.jannswenner.com and not sure where you're talking about (don't have time to look through his whole site). Would you mind posting a more specific link or description of where to find the Stones content? thanks!

btw...thinking the photo on the home page -- guy with his boots on the desk -- is Jann Wenner, not Mick. But maybe you were talking about another shot, or it's been changed.

- swiss

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 3, 2009 11:42

swiss
stonesrule

I went to www.jannswenner.com and not sure where you're talking about (don't have time to look through his whole site). Would you mind posting a more specific link or description of where to find the Stones content? thanks!

btw...thinking the photo on the home page -- guy with his boots on the desk -- is Jann Wenner, not Mick. But maybe you were talking about another shot, or it's been changed.

- swiss

stonerule may be meant the photo of Mick that is on the wall ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: December 3, 2009 11:45

This is the most comprehensive interview Jagger has ever granted, and I decided at the outset to avoid the gossipy byways in favor of getting Mick to recall and interpret the most significant aspects of the group's history and its music.

Remember that one ?

[www.rollingstone.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 3, 2009 13:48

i posted this a while ago...snapped it while touring R&R Hall in Cleveland.
Mick...having fun with Jann.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: December 3, 2009 21:52

On Jann's home page he is pictured some time ago legs on desk, talking on phone, with photo of Jagger on wall.

"It ain't no capital crime."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 4, 2009 00:21

Funny because Mick always calls Jann a @#$%&, which could be spelled differently to appear here but I'll replace it with something I say a lot, which combines the beginning of a certain female hygiene product with the cuss anatomy, hence dunt.

Date: December 4, 2009 00:28

skipstone
Funny because Mick always calls Jann a @#$%&, which could be spelled differently to appear here but I'll replace it with something I say a lot, which combines the beginning of a certain female hygiene product with the cuss anatomy, hence dunt.

a tampon punt??? (er)

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 4, 2009 01:58

Wasn't Jann Wenner desperately in love with Mick?

I recall his glowing review of Goddess in the Doorway.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 4, 2009 09:41

SwayStones
swiss
stonesrule
snip

hi SwayStones! thanks -- I didn't even see that!

Date: December 4, 2009 17:14

swiss
SwayStones
swiss
stonesrule
snip

hi SwayStones! thanks -- I didn't even see that!

Whenever there is a Mick pic somewhere ,my eyes go to it like immediately ....I can't help ....(smile )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home