Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Half Moon Putney facing closure.
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: November 25, 2009 18:05

Hello everyone.

I would like to raise awareness with everyone on this board about the Half Moon music venue in Putney, South-West London. Unfortunately, on 31st January 2010 it seems likely that the venue will close. This is terrible news for musicians and gig-goers in London. I am pasting in the official press release for everyone to read.

Please please please, if anyone here can help in any way at all, whether it's media coverage or just by voting with your feet and coming along to a gig, that would be great. I know many people on this board have been to see gigs at the Half Moon many times and you will be truly sad to see it go.

Thanks everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HISTORIC MUSIC VENUE FACES CLOSURE

The Halfmoon Putney, one of London's last independent live music venues, may have to call time on almost 50 years of hosting live music.

Due to market forces, the current economic climate and other circumstances beyond our control, The Halfmoon will not be able to carry on as a music venue after 31st January 2010.

The Halfmoon has been hosting live music regularly since 1963. Since that time it has seen performances by, among others, The Rolling Stones, U2, The Small Faces, Ralph McTell, Badly Drawn Boy, Kate Bush and countless more.

As well as still catering for touring bands and artists The Halfmoon has, more recently, been an important stepping stone for artists/ bands such as Kasabian, Imogen Heap, The Wombats, Newton Faulkner, Mr Hudson, Amy McDonald, and Natasha Bedingfield. Oh, and Jamie Archer of X Factor fame!

When bands are making the transition from playing in the corner of a pub to much bigger venues, they need that stepping stone. Places like The Halfmoon fill that niche.

Current tenant James Harris says "We are at the grass roots of live music and The Halfmoon is an engine room for rising bands throughout the UK, who are now running out of quality venues to play."

Sound engineer, band member and host of Halfmoon Unplugged Redvers Bailey says "It will be a sad day when The Halfmoon closes. I can’t think of many venues I've been to who can cater for professional touring bands and rising unsigned bands and are willing to treat the two no differently. Speaking as a band member I'd say I haven't played at any 200 capacity venue that offers as good sound/lighting production, atmosphere and door deal."

Without the right measures being taken The Halfmoon could easily join a growing list of music venues that have closed in recent months/years. It would be another blow to music and culture in London if The Halfmoon disappears as well.

You can help save The Halfmoon. Please vote with your feet and come for a drink, or come to one of our nightly live music shows. To see what's on visit the gig guide at [www.halfmoon.co.uk]. If you can't make it down in person then visit our forum here The Halfmoon Forum and show us some love for all to see

More details will be provided as we have them, in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

Kind regards,

James Harris
Tenant
Halfmoon, Putney
07866 433 679
020 8780 9383
james@halfmoon.co.uk
www.halfmoon.co.uk

“The real shop floor for musical talent is pubs and clubs, that is where the original work is. But they are being closed down on a daily basis. It is impossible to put an act on in a pub. It has become too expensive through excessive
regulations. The music industry has been hugely important to England, bringing
in millions. If anyone thinks the X Factor is going to do that, they are wrong.”
Sting in interview with The Evening Standard 11.11.09

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Re: Half Moon Putney facing closure.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 25, 2009 18:36

Hi Mr. Jimmy,

I certainly hope it doesn't close,as it would be another great wee venue gone.
If I lived in London they'd have to charge me rent for being in there so often.
Fingers crossed...

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 19:23

WTF is going on!?

It would truly be a sad day if the Half Moon closes. I've played there several times and it's easily one of the best small live music venues in London.

Even as an amateur musician you get treated well and they always give you the best sound possible. And as a punter you can often see some truly great people playing there. I'll be making sure to get down there soon to show my support - as should anyone else who cares a stuff about live music in London.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 21:10

Thats sad news saw a lot of great gigs there years ago.
Its inspiring me to start an OT thread Wilco Johnson and whay hes so great smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2009 21:12

This is terrible news, one of the best venues of its size around. It seems inconceivable it should close.
I will be there for The Rollin' Stoned on Saturday 19th December - one of the best tribute acts around. Essential to buy a ticket in advance for this one as always sold out.
See you there, Mr Jimmy!

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 26, 2009 01:51

Haven't lived in London for over 20 years, but always try and visit this great venue when I'm in the area.
Used to go regularly when I lived down south, would be a great shame if it went, so many other venues gone now as well, still miss the Red Lion Brentford, now a well known burger dump, is the Golden Lion Fulham still going
Is this another victim of the smoking ban, I gave up years ago but still went along to pubs , smoke or not.
Keep us informed of any developments

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2009 02:13

I am sorry to hear it. I managed to get in to see the Rollin' Stoned in October and it's a great venue.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 26, 2009 10:20

terrible, terrible news - possibly the best music room in London.

It will break my heart if it closes..... get down there and
support the venue, if at all possible.

[www.halfmoon.co.uk]

Date: November 26, 2009 10:58

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 26, 2009 13:45

This news is nothing short of a bloody tragedy. I've been frequenting the Moon for 25 plus years. As Adrian says, it's possibly one of the best music rooms of its size and type in London. It's closure would actually leave a seriously huge gaping hole in the entire area of SW London as far as venues of that nature go. We're not that well off as it is, without the Moon .... it would be even more grim.

Date: November 26, 2009 14:01

Putney's MP needs lobbying about this.

Posted by: bdgirl ()
Date: November 26, 2009 18:21

I have been going to the Half moon for many years now, and feel that its very being is etched deeply into the souls of so many people, People who just want to sit and have a drink or people that want to hear some of the best live music they will ever hear in a pub... The history that comes with the Half Moon is priceless, the people that have played there, famous not so famous and perhaps now. some infamous!! but all great...

This is a modern day tragedy that we simpley cannot allow to happen,if we do then we have lost an integral part of music history forever,
for Anyone reading this who has never been to the Half Moon, then maybe this is a good time to visit! Take a look at the photos around the walls and be amazed at who has played there, But most of all enjoy the fact that the Half Moon is one of the most welcoming pubs in SW London,,,

myself? Well it will always be a special place for me after meeting Him indoors there! So to say i am saddened by all of this is an understatement...

So.....

Come on people get off your Arse's and go and Listen to some good music in the moon.See you there...

Posted by: WATER HOG ()
Date: November 26, 2009 18:29

Many years ago I saw Charlie Watts & Ian Stewart play a Rocket 88 show at the Hlaf Moon pub in Putney.

Afterwards, Ian Stewart signed a vinyl boot I had with me. It was from the 82 European tour in Rotterdam. I remenber Stu said "What the f**** this!"

A famous old pub indeed.

Date: November 27, 2009 02:51

Thanks everyone for your support. It would indeed be awful if the place closed down / no longer hosted live music.

I'll keep you posted on any news, positive or otherwise.

Date: November 27, 2009 10:11

Save The Half Moon!

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 27, 2009 11:15

Hello,

I've played at the Half Moon a couple of times; met Ronnie in there at a gig by his daughter's band; and saw The Rollin' Stoned there in July on my Stag Weekend, so the pub means a lot to me. Also, I was born and raised in the pub trade so it really saddens me that so many pubs are closing.

Now, it's easy for me to say this, but considering the number of significant acts who've played there, couldn't a couple of benefit gigs be organised? Surely some of the bigger names who've played there would be willing to play. It might be a temporary solution, but it could bring in a few quid to help in some way, perhaps to give a bit more time until a permanent solution can be arrived at.

Anyone know if anything like that is being considered?

Declan

Date: November 27, 2009 11:24

Perhaps all of us here on IORR should club together and buy it.....how cool would that be, to have our own music venue?!

Declan, yours is a more serious idea, but would only be a temporary solution as you say. If it is to close, then the final gig on 31st January will be worth going to I imagine.....

bdgirl - totally agree with what you say, especially as I met BarRoomQueen there!!

Date: November 27, 2009 12:04

does anyone "in the know" (BV etc???) have contact with The Stones' Press Office/PR people, who could maybe inform them,
of the Half Moon's impending doom?

I'm sure Mr Jagger would be keen to help.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 27, 2009 12:43

For anyone familiar with the Young's brewery, this should come as no surprise. So many of their once great pubs, have been revamped, modernised and turned into gastro hell-holes.

Date: November 27, 2009 17:45

Ok, the most important thing that we can all do at the moment is to visit the halfmoon forum online at:

[pub24.bravenet.com]

If the above link doesn't work then visit www.halfmoon.co.uk and click on the closure news story. At the bottom is the link for the forum.

Please please can everyone leave a message of support. I know it takes a little bit of time but it would be effective because then the halfmoon can gather all the posts and press coverage together and present it to Youngs Brewery. Then Youngs will have no doubt as to the general feeling of the public about this.

Thanks all for your time and support. The halfmoon have seen this thread and are really touched by the posts and messages of good will.

Cheers.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: November 27, 2009 17:50

Hi Mr. J.,

Consider it done.
They do serve a decent pint too.

Cheers,

Si.

Date: November 27, 2009 18:48

Thanks simon, really appreciate it.

Date: November 27, 2009 22:08

I went to the site and wrote on the board, so terrible if the pub closes, my best memories from the Half Moon.

1. John Otway going insane and slamming on a bass amp so hard he really hurt hilself, surprising as after so much abuse i always thought he was indestructible.

2. Paul Young and his Tex Mex band, dancing like crazy, dont remember much but it was great !

3. Seeing blues legend Lazy Lester there, stunning and I had never heard of him before that night, I think i know my stuff so surely the Half Moon is providing musical education!!

4. The best for sure though is Wilco Johnson and the trio he had with the Blockheads bass player, division 1 rock n roll, and ive seen them all kiddies, when its gone its gone..................

Date: November 27, 2009 22:15

By the way check out info about the great Lazy Lester here, thats where the Stones nicked Can you hear me knockin' smiling smiley

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 27, 2009 22:20

A very easy solution to keeping this independent venue open and thriving, go there and spend some money! The wall of fame is a who's who of top notch talent. Certainly in a city the size of London there's enough music lovers to keep the doors open.

CBGB in New York closed because the property owner was a complete butt whole. The Half Moon looks like it's shutting down due to the lack of interest. Someone with the calibre of Charlie, Bill, Jack Bruce or others that still live in the UK need to take up residency for a while just like Les Paul did in NYC. Mr. Paul kept that place packed with tourists. The same concept would work at the Half Moon.

What a shame.

CBII

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 29, 2009 14:36

CBII
A very easy solution to keeping this independent venue open
What a shame.

CBII, this is the problem: The Half Moon isn't an 'independent' venue. It is owned by the Young's brewery and they take great pleasure in modernizing, revamping and altering their establishments.

I am saddened that I have never visited, but Putney is a little out-of-the-way for this Kent-based pub and gig-goer.

Date: November 29, 2009 21:07

get ypurselves down to The Half Moon, before it's too late.
Great music and great beer guaranteed.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 29, 2009 21:29

oh no! my band played there when I lived in london! great room, great team, great sound!

OLDKR

Date: December 1, 2009 10:08

message from the Half Moon:-

Hi Folks,
Firstly we'd like to say a huge, heartfelt thank you for the overwhelming support we've received following the news of our imminent closure on January 31st. The moment the closure was announced our website forum was inundated with messages of support from all over the world. We have received messages from a wide range of people, from 'Whispering' Bob Harris, to X Factor's Jamie Archer, to Ocean Colour Scene's Simon Fowler and countless other bands, musicans, gig goers, regulars, old friends and the press have been particularly supportive.

This week we have arranged two nights that are thank you parties for all that have been involved in the Save the Halfmoon Campaign (now at 2,700 members) and members of the public who want to be involved in keeping this historic venue open as a music venue, not a gastro pub. The gigs on Wednesday and Thursday focus on our unsigned/ up & coming bands that will lose a valuable platform if the Halfmoon were to go.

For the following 2 months we have also had a fantastic response from the signed and established bands we got in touch with who are willing to come and play and support the Halfmoon. These include The Wonder Stuff, Nine Below Zero, Ralph McTell, Nick Harper, Martin Harley Band and others to be confirmed.

PLEASE COME DOWN ON WEDNESDAY/ THURSDAY AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!!!

As we said in our original email, the best way to keep this legendary venue open is to vote with your feet. The Halfmoon management and staff will be on hand on these nights to hear your thoughts and opinions and to discuss how, together we can campaign to keep music alive here - regardless of whether the current management stays or goes.
Wednesday 2nd December
Halfmoon Thank You Party Day 1

Tonight's headliner - Good Foot will bring you rock, country, blues fun and dancing from Gary Foot (Joan Armatrading/Long John Baldry) on drums, Tony Morley (Jefferson Starship/Manfred Mann) on bass and Gary Sandford (Joe Jackson/Kirsty McCall) on guitar.

Our three supporting artists are a selection of rising local talent. You can get a sneak preview of ONE, Ay Ducane and Henry Brill by following the below links.

2230 Good Foot
2150 ONE
[www.myspace.com]
2110 Ay Ducane
[www.myspace.com]
2030 Henry Brill
[www.myspace.com]

£5 door/£4 Advance Tickets, doors open at 8pm

Thursday 3rd December
Halfmoon Thank You Party Day 2

Tonight's headliner - Loyalty Point were recently grand finalists in UK Live and Unsigned and will bring you their own delightful mix of folk and indie. Our three supporting artists Nick Tate, Oldwick and Silver Moths are rising acoustic bands and duos who have previously played the Monday night Halfmoon Unplugged sessions. You can hear a sample by following the below links.

2230 Loyalty Point
[www.loyaltypoint.co.uk]
2145 Nick Tate
[www.myspace.com]
2100 Oldwick
[www.myspace.com]
2030 Silver Moths
[www.myspace.com]

£5 door/£4 Advance Tickets, doors open at 8pm

Please check out these links to make sure your up to date with your Halfmoon News
forum
Save the Halfmoon Putney
Halfmoon Putney
[www.halfmoon.co.uk]

Date: December 1, 2009 17:53

Ok, I'm heading to the Halfmoon for the Wednesday night party (tomorrow) to show some support. Would love to make both nights but I have a pub quiz to host on thursday!!

Hope to see some of you guys for a pint tomorrow night!!

Keep the Halfmoon alive.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home