Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
I met Keith Richards last week...
Posted by: MSG69 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:33

Hello fellow Stones fans, I am new to this board though I have read,with interest over the past 2 years the many interesting subjects you have discussed here. My name is Carl, and I am one of the fans whos story was just published in the Get Yer Ya Yas 40th Anniversary box set. I went to the Friday afternoon 'breakfast show', back in 1969 at MSG, and yes, it did change my life. I recently was out for lunch with a bunch of my friends in Connecticut, where I live, when I spotted Mr. Keith Richards, smoking a cigarette, outside a restaurant. I just so happened to have the delux box set package with me in my car, so I nervously approached Keith.

I shook his hand and told him I was inside the booklet, with the fan stories, and that I was at this concert 40 years ago! I asked what he thought about the re-release and he said"It is,what it is. " I also told him how he was a huge influence in my life, and how I had named my oldest son after him, which I have. He just smiled. I told him how much I also enjoyed the Tina Turner songs, as well as the BB King tunes. He smiled and said "Isn't she amazing!" I then shook his hand one last time and thanked for all the great music. He then asked me if I spelled my name with a C or a K, then wrote- " To Carl, One Love, Keith Richards" right next to Charlie Watts on the cover! He looked great.

Re: I met Keith Richards last week...
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:34

Congrats, great story - I envy you!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:38

Cool story. "It is what it is". Sounds like something Keith would say. How'd the old man look?

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:43

wow, great story!!! ... and welcomesmileys with beer

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:46

EXCELLENT, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:47

No offense -

Story seems vague in nature and bogus to me. What was the name of the restaurant? "It is what it is?" sounds strange. Keith Richards is English and would automatically sign the name with a "C". Also "nervously approached Keith" is theatrics. If you're a true fan why be scared?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:49

Very cool storycool smiley

HMN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:50

Chris Fountain
Keith Richards is English and would automatically sign the name with a "C".

Perhaps Keith asked for the spelling, knowing the chap was an American?

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:50

That's so awesome. I would love to meet Keith, just to shake his hand.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:09

MSG69
Hello fellow Stones fans, I am new to this board though I have read,with interest over the past 2 years the many interesting subjects you have discussed here. My name is Carl, and I am one of the fans whos story was just published in the Get Yer Ya Yas 40th Anniversary box set. I went to the Friday afternoon 'breakfast show', back in 1969 at MSG, and yes, it did change my life. I recently was out for lunch with a bunch of my friends in Connecticut, where I live, when I spotted Mr. Keith Richards, smoking a cigarette, outside a restaurant. I just so happened to have the delux box set package with me in my car, so I nervously approached Keith.

I shook his hand and told him I was inside the booklet, with the fan stories, and that I was at this concert 40 years ago! I asked what he thought about the re-release and he said"It is,what it is. " I also told him how he was a huge influence in my life, and how I had named my oldest son after him, which I have. He just smiled. I told him how much I also enjoyed the Tina Turner songs, as well as the BB King tunes. He smiled and said "Isn't she amazing!" I then shook his hand one last time and thanked for all the great music. He then asked me if I spelled my name with a C or a K, then wrote- " To Carl, One Love, Keith Richards" right next to Charlie Watts on the cover! He looked great.

Now THAT's a first post !!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:51

Good work Carl! You could never have imagined this in 1969

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:58

Most Excellent Carl! Gold Rings On Ya!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:59

Damn cool story! One I'd like to experience!

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:03

i´m just a jealeous guy

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:12

I met Keith Richards
Greetings
I met Keith this past May at the Knitting Factory, downtown NYC at Bernard Fowlers gig...I approached Keith after the gig and extended my hand, telling him it was an honor to meet him and that I have been a fan and band follower since age 17 in 1964...He said, "That was a good age""..he was very warm, generous and focused for the brief encounter...Finally, I had met my idol after 45 years...a pleasure and an honor..I have a picture of the event
Carl, I was at the MSG 69 gig both nites for YaYas..going to the photo exhibit by Ethan Russell Thurs 8pm Morrison Hotel, Bowery.NYC
I wrote a song "To A Rolling Stone" you can hear my tribute to KR at www.myspace.com/rockinbuds
Its Only RocknRoll
RockinBud

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:28

Carl, congratulations - great story!

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:36

Lovely story
congrats Thanks for sharing

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:47

Good to have you here, Karl.. Carl!

- Doxa

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:49

Chris Fountain
No offense -

Story seems vague in nature and bogus to me. What was the name of the restaurant? "It is what it is?" sounds strange. Keith Richards is English and would automatically sign the name with a "C". Also "nervously approached Keith" is theatrics. If you're a true fan why be scared?

What? No official statement from the "League Office"?
I believe the story.

Thanks MSG69 (I assume that's a reference to monosodium glutamate). just kidding winking smiley

But admit it MSG69....you were carrying that deluxe box in your car..cuz you knew you'd be
hangin' in Keith's US hometown.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 21:52 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:49

Very cool story. sounds legit to me.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:52

I have no doubt Carl met Keith. His story is too detailed to be bogus. You can tell he is trying to give as complete an account as he can.

Good for you, Carl. Freakin' awesome. Treasure that memory & autograph.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:53

Chris Fountain
No offense -

I can't see any reason what so ever not to belive him.
Wouldn't you too have been a bit nervous approaching
Keith in a situation like that?

Posted by: MSG69 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:54

Thanks to all of you for all your kind words. In particular I would like to address Chris Fountain. Its posts like yours that made me hesitant to join this board. Keith lives in Weston, the restaurant he was at was a French restaurant in the town near by. I am not going to tell you its name, because give the man some space. Yes I was nervous, its not every day you meet your hero, just trying to be truthful. I think"It is What Is" is a typical Keith quote. The guy was trying to sneak a smoke. By asking how to spell my name, it just shows what a polite gent, he is.Chris, here's another clue for you- I was at the Friday afternoon show. There was no Ike & Tina, but Terry Reid played instead.Get a grip. Life is short,and then its over.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:57

MSG69
Thanks to all of you for all your kind words. In particular I would like to address Chris Fountain. Its posts like yours that made me hesitant to join this board. Keith lives in Weston, the restaurant he was at was a French restaurant in the town near by. I am not going to tell you its name, because give the man some space. Yes I was nervous, its not every day you meet your hero, just trying to be truthful. I think"It is What Is" is a typical Keith quote. The guy was trying to sneak a smoke. By asking how to spell my name, it just shows what a polite gent, he is.Chris, here's another clue for you- I was at the Friday afternoon show. There was no Ike & Tina, but Terry Reid played instead.Get a grip. Life is short,and then its over.

Now THAT's a second post !! winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:00

Great story, Carl!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:02

Great story.

Sign of the times: Keith smokes outside like everyone else.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:05

loog droog
Great story.

Sign of the times: Keith smokes outside like everyone else.

The restaurant must not have a stage... cuz then Keith might have just gotten up on the stage to light up.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:07

I love it. Great encounter. If it had been me, I'd have said something completely idiotic, or perhaps I would have just froze... "Ah...umm... ermm.. I'm ahh aah.. a big fan... heh-heh...."

I'm terrible in those situations. Congrats, Carl, you met Keith. Well done. And welcome to IORR!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:11

Quote MSG69: " I would like to address Chris Fountain. Its posts like yours that made me hesitant to join this board."

I do understand your hesitation. It's a problem here, but most people are all right, though.
Congratulations! Your Keith encounter sounds "just like Keith". Warm, polite and well read. That's why it's a natural thing for him to ask "K" or "C". I've met him a few times and I totally believe your story. So, welcome on board and just don't let any self proclaimed League office, LO or other hostile people get you down. thumbs up

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:11

great... it was really nice to read ;-)

after I met Charlie years ago... was blaming myself for days really... why the hell didn't I ask about this or that, said one more sentence... uhm. maybe good I haven't... you never know. cheers ;^)

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home