Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones free concert in London - 2012
Date: October 22, 2009 10:51

Err, well that's the idea according to a newspaper article in last night's London Evening Standard (not sure how well the 'shadow arts minister, Mr Vaisey' knows MJ though!!) -

Ageing British rock stars to take centre stage in 2012 celebrations
Louise Jury, Chief Arts Correspondent 21.10.09.

Free concerts in Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace by stars such as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Led Zeppelin could form part of the cultural celebrations for the 2012 Olympics.

While their combined ages might run into several hundred years, shadow arts minister Ed Vaizey said the established acts should be part of the celebrations for the Cultural Olympiad programme for the London Games alongside a new generation of artists.

He added: ''I would like to see free concerts in Hyde Park, or Buckingham Palace - let's remember 2012 will be the Queen's Diamond jubilee - as well as up and down the country with iconic musicians as well as our exciting younger artists."

Mr Vaizey said it was important the cultural programme should not just involve the subsidised arts, such as theatre and opera, but also the popular and commercial sector. "For a successful Cultural Olympiad which engages with as many people as possible, we feel the full participation of the popular and commercial sector is vital," he said.

Speaking in London on the arts policy of a future Conservative government, Mr Vaizey admitted there would be "short-term pain" while they worked to get government finances back on track. "I hope that we can protect the front-line arts as much as possible," he said. Mr Vaizey pledged to maintain free admission to national museums and galleries.

Re: Rolling Stones free concert in London - 2012
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 22, 2009 10:58

yep- i read the article myself, last night,
and had a good old chuckle on the train home.

Mr Vaizey's dream line-up, ain't going to happen.
Simon Cowell/Lloyd Webber will be running the show, so you'll get a line up of:-

Leona Lewis, John Barrowman, Cheryl Cole,
Westlife, Take That, Katherine Jenkins and that old bore Elton John.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 22, 2009 11:20

Manofwealthandtaste
Err, well that's the idea according to a newspaper article in last night's London Evening Standard (not sure how well the 'shadow arts minister, Mr Vaisey' knows MJ though!!) -

Free concerts in Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace by stars such as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Led Zeppelin could form part of the cultural celebrations for the 2012 Olympics.

While their combined ages might run into several hundred years, shadow arts minister Ed Vaizey said the established acts should be part of the celebrations for the Cultural Olympiad programme for the London Games alongside a new generation of artists.

He added: ''I would like to see free concerts in Hyde Park, or Buckingham Palace - let's remember 2012 will be the Queen's Diamond jubilee - as well as up and down the country with iconic musicians as well as our exciting younger artists."

Mr Vaizey said it was important the cultural programme should not just involve the subsidised arts, such as theatre and opera, but also the popular and commercial sector. "For a successful Cultural Olympiad which engages with as many people as possible, we feel the full participation of the popular and commercial sector is vital," he said.

Speaking in London on the arts policy of a future Conservative government, Mr Vaizey admitted there would be "short-term pain" while they worked to get government finances back on track. "I hope that we can protect the front-line arts as much as possible," he said. Mr Vaizey pledged to maintain free admission to national museums and galleries.

<<< let's remember 2012 will be the Queen's Diamond jubilee >>>

See, I told y'all. Queenie's set her little old heart on knighting Keith the Riff. I can see it now ... Queenie gassing on going "blah blah, arise sir Keef", only to get bashed over the head with either Malcolm or Micawber to the accompaniment of a growl and a resounding "f f f f foxtrot o o o o o oscar". And Sir Mick holding his head in his hands in total embarrassment going "o no, I KNEW this wasn't a good idea" and shoutin' "Keef, Keef, leave her majesty alone, stop kickin' her".

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 22, 2009 12:26

Giggle! Dunno why, but that post from paulywaul makes me see hillarious images when I close my eyes...
But I remember reading him -Keith - saying something like: There's no way I'm letting anyone from THAT FAMILY near me with a sword.
(Swords and knighthood in the UK - why can't they just put a hand on the new knight's shoulder?)

And about the free concert - that shadow culture minister should have a talk with the old 800 meter champ, Coe or something. He's got something planned for the Olympics, too. Involving the Stones, even.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-22 12:29 by Addicted.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 22, 2009 12:27

paulywaul
.See, I told y'all. Queenie's set her little old heart on knighting Keith the Riff. I can see it now ... Queenie gassing on going "blah blah, arise sir Keef", only to get bashed over the head with either Malcolm or Micawber to the accompaniment of a growl and a resounding "f f f f foxtrot o o o o o oscar". And Sir Mick holding his head in his hands in total embarrassment going "o no, I KNEW this wasn't a good idea" and shoutin' "Keef, Keef, leave her majesty alone, stop kickin' her".

Ha ha ,excellent !

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 22, 2009 13:32

paulywaul
See, I told y'all. Queenie's set her little old heart on knighting Keith the Riff. I can see it now ... Queenie gassing on going "blah blah, arise sir Keef", only to get bashed over the head with either Malcolm or Micawber to the accompaniment of a growl and a resounding "f f f f foxtrot o o o o o oscar". And Sir Mick holding his head in his hands in total embarrassment going "o no, I KNEW this wasn't a good idea" and shoutin' "Keef, Keef, leave her majesty alone, stop kickin' her".

There is a possibility that CW could be king by then of course......what? No, not Charlie Watts, that would be absurd.......Charlie Windsor, that wouldn't be absurd at all would it?!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 22, 2009 13:48

Charlie Watts for King - what a brilliant idea. He'll bring back some style and dignity! Unfortunately we don't get to elect Kings. But in the 21st Century - inheriting a job - in a democracy... Doesn't sound too good in my ears. Although I happen to live in a monarchy myself, I find it a very undemocratic system.
Give me Rock Royalty! Nobody gets the title if they haven't deserved it for decades. Not many of them left.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 22, 2009 13:54

Addicted
inheriting a job - in a democracy... Doesn't sound too good in my ears. Although I happen to live in a monarchy myself, I find it a very undemocratic system.

that's why i like it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 22, 2009 14:17

paulywaul

And The Queen is bravely shouting "What the hell is going on?"!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 22, 2009 18:09

Gotta love "such as" including Led Zeppelin. That won't happen.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: October 22, 2009 19:23

If so they should open their set with Little Queenie.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: October 22, 2009 19:39

riccardo99
If so they should open their set with Little Queenie.

Good one!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 22, 2009 19:42

The words Rolling Stones and free just don't seem to go together.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 22, 2009 20:55

sweetcharmedlife
The words Rolling Stones and free just don't seem to go together.

Free*

* with the purchase of the new fantastic coffee table book outling closeups of every liner note writen on every piece of playable media produced by the band in the last 50 years loaded with previously unearthed photos of the band entering and exiting vehicles! Only 200 pounds!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 22, 2009 21:50

Charlie should definitely be knighted. He deserves it, he would be appropriately grateful and could be counted to behave in a dignifed way.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 22, 2009 23:05

Adrian-L
Addicted
inheriting a job - in a democracy... Doesn't sound too good in my ears. Although I happen to live in a monarchy myself, I find it a very undemocratic system.

that's why i like it.

thumbs up

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 22, 2009 23:21

I (and others, I'm sure) have always thought Mick might enjoy closing
out the next tour at the Olympics. For free? ::stifled guffaw::

Date: October 22, 2009 23:38

Charlie will get knighted next. After I saw that photo of him with all those dogs on his bed (and at the horse show)...It is a no-brainer.
I believe Keef put a hit out on one of her men in Jamaica, so that will never happen. winking smiley

You're more likely to see this >

Date: January 7, 2010 13:41

It's time to resurrect this thread boys n' girls. Not wishing to blow my own trumpet or anything, but between us all, I for one have ALWAYS known that the boys will be doing absolutely sweet f**k all in the way of shows until 2012. It all hinges on 2012 kids, trust me on this. As I said earlier .........

<<< Queenie's set her little old heart on knighting Keith the Riff. I can see it now ... Queenie gassing on going "blah blah, arise sir Keef", only to get bashed over the head with either Malcolm or Micawber to the accompaniment of a growl and a resounding "f f f f foxtrot o o o o o oscar". And Sir Mick holding his head in his hands in total embarrassment going "o no, I KNEW this wasn't a good idea" and shoutin' "Keef, Keef, leave her majesty alone, stop kickin' her" >>>

And once that little ceremony is over and Queenie is bundled off to hospital after getting a crack on the head from a freshly knighted and pissed off Sir Keef, then we'll get our free show in Hyde Park.

See ? Simple ?

Now lets all go to sleep and forget about it until say .... mid 2012 !!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: January 7, 2010 14:08

Another one talking out of his @rse. Not "will be" but:

>>could form part of the cultural celebrations<<

>>established acts should be part of the celebrations<<

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 7, 2010 15:10

paulywaul
Manofwealthandtaste

Free concerts in Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace by stars such as the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Led Zeppelin could form part of the cultural celebrations for the 2012 Olympics. ah you gave me a good laugh early this morning .thank you

<<< let's remember 2012 will be the Queen's Diamond jubilee >>>

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: January 7, 2010 15:48

IF it will happen= awsome! ill be there
If not= i believe so

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 7, 2010 17:05

Adrian-L
yep- i read the article myself, last night,
and had a good old chuckle on the train home.

Mr Vaizey's dream line-up, ain't going to happen.
Simon Cowell/Lloyd Webber will be running the show, so you'll get a line up of:-

Leona Lewis, John Barrowman, Cheryl Cole,
Westlife, Take That, Katherine Jenkins and that old bore Elton John.

That's funny and spot on!

Just who the hell is this Simon Cowell character anyway, and what does he have in his background that makes him an authority on talent or music? Any accomplishments at all or is he just a big wind bag?

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 7, 2010 17:41

It's all just a ruse to get Rotten/Lydon knighted right before the end of the world, isn't it?

And I guess Roger Waters is out w/ Lloyd Webber in charge. I believe it was on Amused To Death, the Floyd bassist/lyricist had a dream sequence where a chandelier falls from the cieling on ALW at the piano and "smashes his f#@king fingers!!!", haha.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: January 7, 2010 17:48

Great, from planing to go to see The Stones this year to beeing happy that they 'll perform in 2012...

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 7, 2010 17:58

Bitches Brew
Great, from planing to go to see The Stones this year to beeing happy that they 'll perform in 2012...

Well actually I claim that I am laughing & kidding about that but :

2011 in United States and 2012 in Europe for their 1962/2012 Tour ?
Oh my Gosh,I would be 50 years old then ,it means an outside chance for me to charm Mr Jagger ..that's too bad you know !sad smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 7, 2010 20:47

SwayStones
Bitches Brew

Well actually I claim that I am laughing & kidding about that but :

2011 in United States and 2012 in Europe for their 1962/2012 Tour ?
Oh my Gosh,I would be 50 years old then ,it means an outside chance for me to charm Mr Jagger ..that's too bad you know !sad smiley

Well, I would fancy that version. 2012 in Europe, the Grand Finale in London, together with the 2012 London Olympics, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the Stones' Golden Jubilee, and, last not least, also your Golden Jubilee, Sway. What a party! See them one mo' time and call it a day/year/era/half century!

Date: January 7, 2010 20:52

Wouldn't it be a lovely thought ? They kick off a tour somewhere or other, whether it be the States or not, in 2011, and round it off with a grand finale in 2012 to coincide with the London Olympics ... and their 50th.

I BET they're at least thinkin' about it. Whether it'll happen or not ..... ???

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 7, 2010 21:09

Let's hope Ronnie is sober in 2012 and Keith still some fingers, might be more crooked yawning smiley))

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 7, 2010 21:11

Nahhh, it won't happen. Just someone's free dream.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home