Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: "Exile" is overrated
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:15

Havo
Well--Iam 57----But please to allowed be to say !Aftermath" -its ranking on no. 1

SENILE ON MAIN STREET !!! Dear Doctor Take Three.

Ok understand you are trying to be sensationlist,

1] Exile Is Overated !!!!! [please say you did not mean this]

2] Aftermath is better than Exile !! ![please advise what your doctor prescribed,]

3] Out Of Our Heads !! agree [Now the tablets must have worn off]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:18

memphiscats
LeonidP
71Tele
Not only is Exile their greatest album, "Plundered My Soul" is their greatest released outtake.

Hellz yeh!
Today's lick - Torn and Frayed...oh how I love that one.
Steal your heart away....tongue sticking out smiley

That's the cool thing about Exile. Every song has fascinated me at a different time. For years I didn't think much of "Turd On The Run". Then suddenly it captivated me. man, it swings! If my mood is different I'll go for Torn & Frayed. Or for the big soulful ballads: Let It Loose, Shine A Light, and Loving Cup. And Tumbling Dice never, never fails to move me.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:19

exile bonus disc is over rated.how long is it?? 40 minutes.........most songs over dubbed...........best of the lot title 5

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:24

GOO
exile bonus disc is over rated.how long is it?? 40 minutes.........most songs over dubbed...........best of the lot title 5

Not to quibble, but other than "Plundered My Soul" I don't think the bonus disc was rated that well, so it probably wasn't overrated. I think PMS was brilliant, and I liked the alt Loving Cup.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 02:42 by 71Tele.

Date: March 2, 2012 01:28

71Tele
GOO

Not to quibble, but over than "Pludered My Soul" I don't think the bonus disc was rated that well, so it probably wasn't overrated. I think PMS was brilliant, and I liked the alt Loving Cup.

Tele again love your taste !!! spot on

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 2, 2012 01:29

Tonstone
Havo
Well--Iam 57----But please to allowed be to say !Aftermath" -its ranking on no. 1

SENILE ON MAIN STREET !!! Dear Doctor Take Three.

Ok understand you are trying to be sensationlist,

1] Exile Is Overated !!!!! [please say you did not mean this]

2] Aftermath is better than Exile !! ![please advise what your doctor prescribed,]

3] Out Of Our Heads !! agree [Now the tablets must have worn off]
Good one cool smiley

Date: March 2, 2012 01:38

71Tele
GOO

Not to quibble, but other than "Pludered My Soul" I don't think the bonus disc was rated that well, so it probably wasn't overrated. I think PMS was brilliant, and I liked the alt Loving Cup.
I think most of the bonus disc is great too. True not as amazing as the original disc...But I love Dancing in the Light - (not to mention Following the River, So Divine, Plunder et al.

Whose potatoes are you peeling?smoking smiley

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 2, 2012 02:33

71Tele
memphiscats
LeonidP
71Tele
Not only is Exile their greatest album, "Plundered My Soul" is their greatest released outtake.

Hellz yeh!
Today's lick - Torn and Frayed...oh how I love that one.
Steal your heart away....tongue sticking out smiley

That's the cool thing about Exile. Every song has fascinated me at a different time. For years I didn't think much of "Turd On The Run". Then suddenly it captivated me. man, it swings! If my mood is different I'll go for Torn & Frayed. Or for the big soulful ballads: Let It Loose, Shine A Light, and Loving Cup. And Tumbling Dice never, never fails to move me.

When you think about it, Turd might be the highlight of the entire record.It's the pure distillation of The Stones' essence. A track caught in the limbo, timless, otherworldly, yet so deceitfully simple and unimposing

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 2, 2012 03:47

Tonstone

Obviously it can be to those that prefer their stones more experimenal pop than rock. thumbs up

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: March 2, 2012 04:03

So, I just borrowed the new release and that last "found" track
is KiLLER ... "Title 5", is that it? GREAT JAM ... kinda reminds
me of a great Byrds track unearthed for "The Notorious Byrd Bros"
late '90s re-release, "Bound to Fall", later covered by Manassas.
Two great road songs, shoulda dun more like 'um and LONGER, damnit!!!

THAT's ROCK'n'ROLL, MY MAN!!!

Date: March 2, 2012 04:12

Title 5 has extra cool points cos it's most likely from 1967. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 04:18 by His Majesty.

Date: March 2, 2012 04:40

Havo

Understood ... another GREAT, timeless LP.

His Majesty
Title 5 has extra cool points cos it's most likely from 1967. smoking smiley

Get out! Spill.

Date: March 2, 2012 05:17

TheDailyBuzzherd

Get out! Spill.

It is. cool smiley

Date: March 2, 2012 13:30

His Majesty
Tonstone

Obviously it can be to those that prefer their stones more experimenal pop than rock. thumbs up

Good point - I guess it takes the mood what you play at certain times.Another way of looking at it - Imagine you were going to be stuck on an island and someone say's you can either have 'Aftermath' or 'Exile' what are you taking with you? - for me it's 'Exile'.

Date: March 2, 2012 13:31

Tonstone

Good point - I guess it takes the mood what you play at certain times.Another way of looking at it - Imagine you were going to be stuck on an island and someone say's you can either have 'Aftermath' or 'Exile' what are you taking with you? - for me it's 'Exile'.

I would take Aftermath. thumbs up

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:26

I recall very well that when Exile has been released and even a few years after until the early 80's, it was not the # 1 album for the fans but mainly for the critics.
The same critics at the start of the 90's claimed that Exile was the highlight in the Rolling Stones discography and with the remastered edition , more critics join the pros Exile.
Time they are a changin'confused smiley
Ooop I'd forgot to give my 2cts, nope it's not overrated its a @#$%& great album.

HMN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 17:29 by Honestman.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:34

and I add

Best Album with Brian Jones Aftermath
Best Album with Mick Taylor SF & Exile
Best Album with Ronnie Wood Some Girls and Stripped

winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: March 2, 2012 20:11

71Tele
The good news is that there is hope for you. Play it every day until you hear a little "click" in your head, the heavens open and you start dancing uncontrollably. Then you will know, my son.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 20:12 by thabo.

Date: March 3, 2012 03:10

His Majesty
TheDailyBuzzherd

Get out! Spill.

It is. cool smiley

Back story? It ain't Keith playing with hisself again, is it?
Me no hear Brian there. He was prolly chasing girls anyway.

Posted by: AintNoStranger ()
Date: March 4, 2012 21:50

Exile Still Alive

Date: March 4, 2012 21:52

TheDailyBuzzherd
His Majesty
TheDailyBuzzherd

Get out! Spill.

It is. cool smiley

Back story? It ain't Keith playing with hisself again, is it?
Me no hear Brian there. He was prolly chasing girls anyway.

Yeah, sounds like Keith and Keith again on guitars.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 4, 2012 22:16

Honestman
Best Album with Brian Jones Aftermath

I, for 1, think Aftermath is overrated ... For Brian Jones era, I much prefer the 1st album, RS Now, and 12x5 over Aftermath.

Date: March 4, 2012 22:24

AintNoStranger
Exile Still Alive

I LOVE CANDY FROM STRANGER...Excellent videos - made my day & my head go away - no longer feel so torn & frayed.smoking smiley

Date: March 5, 2012 02:01

71Tele
For years I didn't think much of "Turd On The Run". Then suddenly it captivated me. man, it swings!

"Turd on the Run" swung the very first time I heard it,
but I prolly heard it far older than you. A sh!t-kickin'
tune. I always imagine a low, long blast from a french
horn or tuba during the bridge or jam, the horn repeating
the same note as the "player" runs out of breath. When
I listen to it in the car, I take my hands off the wheel ( ! ),
steer with one knee, cup my hands up to one ear and "blow"
the tuba part with pursed lips. I know, I'm weird, but I
saw Gary Brooker do that live while PH played a tune from
"Grand Hotel" during their "Prodigal Stranger" tour. He
was cheating a sax solo a cappella! Sounded great, too!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 09:38

Turd on the Run is a wonderful blues explosion. A hillbilly stomp with a classic barrel house boogie. Grungy, garage rock, and propulsive romp. A fantastic rhythm from Keith, choppy statico bursts that anchors the song. And then some of Mick's most glorious harp he has recorded. Listen to the nuances of the his playing and the intricate blues he lays down. And then his singing. Exile is a tour de force of Jagger's singing. And Turd is one of those alley cat howl songs where he is pleading, and howling throughout the entire song, especially when he moans "I lost a lot of love over youuuuuuuuuu!" This is a gem of a song, not filler in anyway, and one of their purest blues songs. A jig of angst and sleaze sung for all the Exiles in the world who are in need of diamond rings and Vaseline.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 5, 2012 09:41

whitem8
Turd on the Run is a wonderful blues explosion. A hillbilly stomp with a classic barrel house boogie. Grungy, garage rock, and propulsive romp. A fantastic rhythm from Keith, choppy statico bursts that anchors the song. And then some of Mick's most glorious harp he has recorded. Listen to the nuances of the his playing and the intricate blues he lays down. And then his singing. Exile is a tour de force of Jagger's singing. And Turd is one of those alley cat howl songs where he is pleading, and howling throughout the entire song, especially when he moans "I lost a lot of love over youuuuuuuuuu!" This is a gem of a song, not filler in anyway, and one of their purest blues songs. A jig of angst and sleaze sung for all the Exiles in the world who are in need of diamond rings and Vaseline.

WOW! How brilliant isn't 'Midnight Rambler' from 'Let it Bleed' then? winking smiley

Date: March 5, 2012 09:52

Midnight Rambler is one of my favorite Stones songs. But also I see it as more mainstream and popular blues than Turd on the Run. Turd is one of those deep cuts that casual fans don't know or skip. Which is a shame, because it is a true gem.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 6, 2012 00:54

Hey guys cut out the crap and enjoy the music,exile or let it bleed or sticky fingers most of the stones music is good,beatles for sale cd is crap they look all drained but beatles fans think its great,only 4 or tracks are good not even brilliant so all the fans are right and all the fans are wrong.
STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE,I LOVE THE BAND AND THE MUSIC THEY MAKE
SO LUCKY TO HAVE THE STONES AROUND
AND EXILE IS ONE THE BEST

Date: March 6, 2012 12:10

Thanks for teaching us a lesson sir.

Date: March 6, 2012 20:43

treaclefingers
whiskey
I play Dirty Work more often than Exile. But Exile would be best if it was on 78RPM

Wouldn't Rip This Joint be REALLY REALLY fast then?

How 'bout this, then.

Lulz ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1890
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home