Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

October 6th , 1978
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: October 6, 2009 12:32

1978: The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger apologizes to activist Jesse Jackson, who raised a public outcry over the lyrics of the Stones' recent song "Some Girls," specifically the line "black girls just want to get ------ all night." Jagger refuses calls to change the lyrics.

Re: October 6th , 1978
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 6, 2009 12:38

Apologies?

I thought he commented the issue with something like "if you can not take that as a joke, that's too bad"...

- Doxa

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 6, 2009 12:56

Jagger famously replied, "I've always said, you can't take a joke, it's too @#$%& bad," although he was reportedly more conciliatory to Jackson in private, as he claimed the song was intended as a parody of racist attitudes.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: October 6, 2009 12:59

Actually Jagger commented on that incident a few times. Since it did make the news, and he was asked about it repeatedly. I also think he kind of enjoyed dishing it on this particular matter a bit.

Date: October 6, 2009 13:04

And many years later....While performing "Some Girls,"On SAL Jagger inexplicably changed the lyrics from, "Some girls I give all my bread to, I don't ever want it back," to "Some girls I give all my love to, I don't ever get it back." While performing "Just My Imagination," he added libs, "But in reality, she doesn't @#$%& know me." Why ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2009 13:11

Comments at 6.00 ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 6, 2009 14:28

SwayStones
although he was reportedly more conciliatory to Jackson in private, as he claimed the song was intended as a parody of racist attitudes.

ugh..i hope not.......but i wouldn't be surprised. i think when push comes to shove
mick is a wimp about such things. it took 20 yrs but jesse got his wish. lyric change.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:46

Best comment on this was done by Saturday Night Live when Garrett Morris (who is black) asks, "Mr. Jagger, where are all these Black girls?".

Just looked for the clip but could not find it.

Date: October 6, 2009 16:54

mccparty
Best comment on this was done by Saturday Night Live when Garrett Morris (who is black) asks, "Mr. Jagger, where are all these Black girls?".

I'd love to see it !!!!smiling bouncing smiley

Bill Murray: Last year, the Rolling Stones album "Some Girls" was attacked by black leaders as being racist and it seems that time has not diminished the furor over it, as it was recently the subject of a speech delivered by the Reverend Jesse Jackson at an event celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Supreme Court's desegregation decision. Here to comment is Update's token sociologist, Garrett Morris. ...

[Polite applause for a bespectacled Garrett Morris who looks dapper and dicty in a suit and tie.]

Garrett Morris: [dignified, dripping with snooty condescension] Now, I'd like to speak about the subject of a certain Mick Jagger - of the Rolling Stones. ... And I'm going to talk about the song he sang -- a song in which he sings these very words: "Black girls - just want to have sex - all night long." ...

Now, Mr. Jagger, there is only one question I want to ask you -- Jaggs. ... And you better have the answer, man, you better have the answer, since you have besmirched the character of black women. Therefore, here is my question, Jaggs. [pause, takes off eyeglasses, suddenly drops the pose, pleading] Where are all of these black broads, man? ... [huge cheers and applause] Hey, like, where ARE they, baby? You got any phone numbers for me, baby? ... Please send 'em to me. [puts glasses back on, dignified again] Thank you. ... [enthusiastic applause]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 6, 2009 17:29

mccparty

Only place I know to find SNL clips is on the NBC website and there are shamefully few clips from the '70s shown there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-06 17:46 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 6, 2009 17:40

But it's 21 years, so we can't talk about it.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 6, 2009 18:03

HEILOOBAAS
But it's 21 years, so we can't talk about it.

Never Mind A Decade

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: October 6, 2009 19:06

Does this mean the Rev. Jerkson never heard "Brown Sugar"?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 7, 2009 04:43

>While performing "Some Girls,"On SAL Jagger inexplicably changed the lyrics from, "Some girls I give all my bread to, I don't ever want it back," to "Some girls I give all my love to, I don't ever get it back." While performing "Just My Imagination," he added libs, "But in reality, she doesn't @#$%& know me." Why ?

He sang those songs in the movie just like he performs them in concert. He was singing "she doesn't @#$%& know me" on "Imagination" at least as far back as '81, if not '78. He never sang the original black girls line when he performed SG on the NS tour.

In short, it had nothing to do w/the movie cameras.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 7, 2009 04:47

boston2006
1978: The Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger apologizes to activist Jesse Jackson, who raised a public outcry over the lyrics of the Stones' recent song "Some Girls," specifically the line "black girls just want to get ------ all night." Jagger refuses calls to change the lyrics.

How could he have changed the lyrics four months after the record was released?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 7, 2009 04:47

>Only place I know to find SNL clips is on the NBC website and there are shamefully few clips from the '70s shown there.

The complete episode including that sketch is available on DVD:

[www.amazon.com]

Date: October 7, 2009 13:43

It's true. I've dated many a black girl, and that's what they like to do. True statement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home