Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fender Custom Shop Relic K.R. "Micawber"
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 1, 2009 00:54

I partly recall Mathijs telling the same or similar story, but I'm not sure if the years match.
On the ebay Certificate it says # 1 of 20
I've had a pic on photobucket for ages saying the same....

any thoughts?

Fender Keith Richards Relic Micawber
[cgi.ebay.com]

one of the legends of the Fender Custom Shop, rumours abound on these guitars (were they ever made at all?, if so how many?), this one certainly exists, it is number 1 of 20 that were intended to be built, nowhere that number ever made it, i've seen another one but without the Keith Richards serial number, however you want to view it this is a very rare guitar , comes with originla hardshell case, certicicate with corresponding SN, Ernie Ball Keith Richards signature 5 string sets & one of Keiths crushed pearl guitar picks
this is the story that i know, i also discussed the guitar at length with Mike Eldred (then manager of the custom shop & also the guy who signed the certificate),Mike was running the Fender booth at the Las Vegas vintage guitar show in August 2002, he became really quite nervous about the guitars presence, he asked me if the guitar was visible on my website, i said "not yet", clearly, the guitar was not supposed to be on the open market & it was confirmed that the projected 20 guitars that were to be built for the Japanses distributor were cancelled somehere along the line (this leaves the question of how many made it out the door)
Pierre (Keiths tech) had brought the guitar in for remdial work, whilst at the custom shop Fender took the opportunity to copy the guitars wear  pattern with the intention of a relic clone copy, Pierre & Fender both believed that KR was cool with the whole thing but apparantly he was far from it, pretty incensed according to Eldred, production ceased
so here you have it serial number 1 of who knows how many 3,4 ?,in great (distressed) condition, it has not really been played, i've owned it since 2002 & it's only ever been in its case & to a guitar show or two to exhibit, zero fret wear, zero issues, a pretty cool tele all in all, it is strung as a six right now & obviously doesn't have the sperzel tuners (never fitted, left the factory without them), even so,its as close as you're going to get

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-09 14:18 by open-g.

Re: Fender Custom Shop Relic K.R. "Micawber" for Sale
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 1, 2009 01:10

I have an uneasy feeling about those brand-new guitars that look road-worn ones.
Nice link though!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 1, 2009 01:14

This guitar has 6 strings and saddles, and it comes with a 5 string set. Smells fishy to me.

Date: October 1, 2009 01:23

Koen
This guitar has 6 strings and saddles, and it comes with a 5 string set. Smells fishy to me.

But that's the Custom Shop candy that comes in the case, no?

...and really, how long does it take to clip the string and unscrew the saddle?
probably less than it took me write this smoking smiley

Date: October 1, 2009 10:44

So it's a fake?

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 1, 2009 11:42

I don't think it's a fake - I've seen similar guitars on sale on ebay already, very few were relic'd.

By the way, the seller is Maverick Music, Charlotte, NC - I think they sold a non relic'd KR Telecaster a while ago.

Maverick Music had their moment of fame here because I think they were selling a dodgy Stones related guitar (was it KR/MT Les Paul ?) - Mathijs may remember. They have also been selling second hand original Zemaitises over the years, including Rich Robinson's Disc Front.

Actually Rich Robinson sold a lot of his guitars there in the early 2000s, during the Black Crowes hiatus - I missed his original LP Jr by a few hours, it was selling at $3000 at the time.

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: October 1, 2009 16:58

I've been following this on various other boards as well. I don't think it is legit. There is no way Fender would have such bad security that even if something was actually ready to go that it would make it out with everything together. Just seems off to me. ALso, the "relic job" isn't even correct. If you look at Keef's guitar it has worn differently.

Wayne

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 1, 2009 17:33

wetland10
I don't think it is legit.

Well maybe not - But anyway I'm not ready to spend $10,000 on a single guitar and, if I was, I'd rather spend it on a true vintage guitar...

The switch is black instead of white, the humbucker is upside down and no wear pattern above the humbucker - so indeed there are some differences with Keith's.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 1, 2009 19:02

gwen
I don't think it's a fake - I've seen similar guitars on sale on ebay already, very few were relic'd.

By the way, the seller is Maverick Music, Charlotte, NC - I think they sold a non relic'd KR Telecaster a while ago.

Maverick Music had their moment of fame here because I think they were selling a dodgy Stones related guitar (was it KR/MT Les Paul ?)
Yeah, I remember that one. It was a 1968 Goldtop that has been converted to a late 50s Sunburst model and was said to belong to Keith Richards, who could well afford an original, and as many here know helped introduce them into the rock and roll main stream. Maverick is a pretty reparable dealer though, at least that is what I have heard...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 1, 2009 19:04

This guitar is real for sure, and there are several of them. The intention was to send the first 20 to selected dealers and then produce more as part of the general CS line. I understand that Keith did not oppose, but the Stones office did as the name keith Richards is a brand name owned by Promopub.

Mathijs

Date: October 1, 2009 20:56

Mathijs
This guitar is real for sure, and there are several of them. The intention was to send the first 20 to selected dealers and then produce more as part of the general CS line. I understand that Keith did not oppose, but the Stones office did as the name keith Richards is a brand name owned by Promopub.

Mathijs

I had read that he did oppose because he didn't want people being taken for lots of money for the guitar. I can't remember where I read all of this and can't find it. I don't remember if it was a book or an article on the internet.

I know that the model was available in Japan, and pretty much still is. But out of the US custom shop?

Wayne

Date: October 1, 2009 20:59

Although I have no interest in "relics" I think the Edwards version did a much better job.

Wayne

Date: October 1, 2009 21:23

"I understand that Keith did not oppose, but the Stones office did as the name keith Richards is a brand name owned by Promopub"
Sounds like a very plausible reason, thx Mathijs!

Date: October 3, 2009 16:21

On the Fender website, Mike Eldred from Custom Shop, answered an enquiry about this guitar.

Mike Eldred
It's a CS Tele w/ a humbucker and is in NO WAY a copy of Keith's. Specs are wrong, and so is his "story". I sent it to legal, and there's nothing we can do.

It was a run for Germany, and the certs said KR Tele, and I told them not to call it that. Cert was signed before the description was put on. Not even close to Keith's specs.

I remember seeing a Custom Shop K.R. Micawber model at Thomann.de some time ago. it was going for 9999,- €uro or something like that.
I couldn't see if it was relic'd because they only show small pics for the high end guitars. slt:
[www.thomann.de]

[www.fender.com]

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: October 3, 2009 22:14

Fender Japan has been making Micawbers and Malcolms for years. Supposedly real solid guitars. Never held one and can't see dropping a grand over thhe internet sght unseen.

[www.tommyguitars.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-03 22:14 by normanplace.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 3, 2009 23:09

To start with, one of the pickups in the wrong position...
I´m happy with my Edwards relic, it is a very good made guitar, and it proven it´s value thru some demanding scenarios.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 4, 2009 10:50

>> the humbucker is upside down <<

okay, scratching my head over this isn't getting me anywhere, so i'll ask:
"upside down" realtive to what - is it "upside down" in these photos as well?

- Charlotte, july 6th 1972 (don't know who took it, sorry!)

- Earls Court, may 1976 (Daily Mirror Archives)

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2009 10:55

mickijaggeroo
To start with, one of the pickups in the wrong position...
I´m happy with my Edwards relic, it is a very good made guitar, and it proven it´s value thru some demanding scenarios.

Yes, but the poly finish sucks!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 4, 2009 12:42

with sssoul

The neck pickup normally has the six screws located towards the neck, as was the case from '72 until somewhere in the mid '80's. Then the pickup was reversed, so the screws where more towards the bridge. By doing this you get a little more treble and less bass.

Mathijs

Date: October 4, 2009 12:58

>> The neck pickup normally has the six screws located towards the neck <<

thank you Mathijs - so it's not actually "upside down", it's "retro" :E

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2009 12:59

Mathijs
with sssoul

The neck pickup normally has the six screws located towards the neck, as was the case from '72 until somewhere in the mid '80's. Then the pickup was reversed, so the screws where more towards the bridge. By doing this you get a little more treble and less bass.

Mathijs

The same was done with malcolm that now has the screws towards the neck instead of the bridge which that guitar had during Steel Wheels...and maybe Urban Jungle Tour as well...

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: October 4, 2009 13:41

Well if anyone is interested this is what I got back from Fender customer services regarding the authenticity of the guitar.

"Nick,...

I still couldn't open your link,...but I got to it in another roundabout
way. Meanwhile,...from everything I can see,...the guitar is indeed an
authentic Custom Shop guitar. I'm afraid I can't confirm any of the back
story though.

Hope this helps

Best Regards"

So there you go folks it's the real deal.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Keith Richards And The Relic Myth
Date: September 8, 2010 19:10

So it's not true that Keith had started the relic craze?
In the current Guitar & Bass Magazine John Page the director of the Fender Custom shop division from 87-98 states, matter of factly, "I'm afraid that never happened."

Keith Richards And The Relic Myth

Most accounts of the history of the Relic begin with Keith Richards. It’s a familiar story:
Keith commissioned Fender’s Custom Shop to make replicas of his vintage collection in
order to avoid any tour mishaps and then, on receiving the finished guitars, supposedly
said ‘Bash ’em up a bit and I’ll play ’em’ – and the ‘relic’ was born. A Hollywood beginning,
for sure – but is there any truth to it? No. ‘The “Keith Richards story” seems to have been a
creation of someone in the media,’ clarifies John Page. ‘I’m afraid that it never happened

[www.vinettoguitars.com]

Date: September 8, 2010 19:20

>> So it's not true that Keith had started the relic craze? <<

is that a very widespread myth?? i've never heard it before

Date: September 8, 2010 20:22

with sssoul

Yes, that's what I've read many times whenever the question arises who (deliberately) started the relic fashion.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 8, 2010 21:40

open-g
with sssoul

Yes, that's what I've read many times whenever the question arises who (deliberately) started the relic fashion.
well whoever it was that started the relic thread is a major RETARD .yeah i know they sell well the look and fake feel of a vintage guitar , but to take a brand new guitar and then bash it up and scuff the finish and put in fake cig stains on the headstock and on and on the dings go .really retarded to me .

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 9, 2010 09:44

The Greek
well whoever it was that started the relic thread is a major RETARD .yeah i know they sell well the look and fake feel of a vintage guitar , but to take a brand new guitar and then bash it up and scuff the finish and put in fake cig stains on the headstock and on and on the dings go .really retarded to me .

They are huge sellers and cost more to produce / purchase than an unmodified NOS (New Old Stock) Custom Shop Fender. No, I haven't bought one, but I wouldn't say no to a gift. Some smaller companies and luthiers are making relics that out-perform the Custom Shop models (I was very tempted by a Bill Nash tele once, but the price went too high).

It is widely accepted that Keith started the relic thing with Fender, asking them to "age" some new guitars before a tour. This was not a new thing for him. I remember reading an interview many years ago in which he stated that he always gave his new guitars to other players for the first year or so to give them a played in feel / look when he got them back.

The Greek, the term "retard" is highly offensive. Please get with the 21st century and don't use it again. Are you applying the term to Keith? Probably not a very smart move on a Stones site.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 9, 2010 10:54

Keiths words wre reported to be that he "...liked them a bit more beat up "

Date: September 9, 2010 11:32

open-g
with sssoul

but but but on stage Keith uses genuinely vintage guitars (or blatantly new ones, like that recent DA) -
so i'm glad the rumour's been put to rest, even though i never heard it before. have some popcorn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-09 11:33 by with sssoul.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: September 9, 2010 12:42

teleblaster

Some smaller companies and luthiers are making relics that out-perform the Custom Shop models (I was very tempted by a Bill Nash tele once, but the price went too high).

I once played a Lefty Bill Nash Tele at Vintage & Rare Guitars at Denmark Street, London. great sound & feel. If I'm going to get a new Tele, the Bill Nash guitar's a certainly on the top of my list.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home