Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

follow-up: Warhol & Beard's project on Exile
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2009 21:33

hi -- sorry that this is parsing out part of an existing thread on Montauk (great thread) but I thought it might get buried.

1972 collaboration with Truman Capote on It Shall Soon Be Here, a book about the Rolling Stones’ 1972 tour. An earlier poster had mentioned this, asking whether anyone had additional info.

I just contacted--and received word--from Nejma Beard: photographer, executive director of the Peter Beard Studio, and Peter Beard's agent and wife.

She says, "The project was shelved and Rolling Stone magazine had the original writings. We were hoping to find it so that we could both Peter's photographs and the interview together. Alas, we have not located it yet."

- swiss

Re: follow-up: Warhol & Beard's project on Exile
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 25, 2009 02:17

Truman is saying to Andy in The Rolling Stone Interviews (Paperback) that he rejected to write a reportage of the tour.
Actually, did he finish proofreading?

Date: September 25, 2009 08:26

Toru A
Truman is saying to Andy in The Rolling Stone Interviews (Paperback) that he rejected to write a reportage of the tour.
Actually, did he finish proofreading?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. And I couldn't find the book you mention full-text online. However, I did find another book online, of a collection of interviews of Truman Capote, one of which was done by Andy Warhol, including about 20 (?) pages mentioning the STP tour. Only some of it is available online, but you can get enough to see that he probably did not write the article. By the way, this is a little maddening, because you'll be reading along and suddenly the next page is missing, right when something important is being discussed.

Truman Capote: Conversations online (in left hand search box, type Stones, then click Order results by Page)

I'm looking to obtain a copy of the full interview (referenced above) and send it to the Beards, who said in an email today they are hoping Capote's written interview comes to light.

Capote is adamant he didn't write the article, basically because--although stimulating and even fascinating--the Stones didn't resonate with him in a way that inspired him to create a work of journalistic art or "reportage" about them. The Stones didn't move him. He's not patronizing, or stupid, or dismissive about it. In fact, I'm slightly blown away reading this interview. Apparently, Truman Capote couldn't find what he called sufficient "heroic quality" in the tour, their shows, who they were, or what they were doing.

So, that seems to be that. Capote was a perfectionist. And I doubt very very very much if he did write anything about the tour that he kept it. Who knows tho? Maybe he wrote a totally damning review of the tour and the Stones and handed it in to Jann Wenner who said--or the Stones' machine said--"over my dead body will this see the light of day." But I doubt it. Capote is very astute about the Stones...just couldn't get it up to write about them. He said there's no "echo" to the story...it was what it was, and that's fine but not a lot more than met the eye.

This interview--which may be the same one Toru A saw in rolling stone--is worth checking out tho. Capote's descriptions sound spot-on, accurate, not judgmental, like:

"The thing I have to say is Marshall Chess and all of those people have themselves confused as being one of the Stones. I mean, they're always up on stage sort of edging nearer and nearer the spotlight....Also they're very cantankerous and jealous of each other, and they're so jealous of their relationship with the Stones, with who's closer, who's nearer, who's more...this sort of thing."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 08:38 by swiss.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 25, 2009 08:49

The Warhol interview w/Capote in which he discussed his aborted coverage of the '72 tour appeared in Rolling Stone issue no. 132 (April 12, 1973):

[www.rollingstone.com]

Capote never delivered on his Stones project in '72 so this interview by Andy was a compromise of sorts.

Date: September 25, 2009 09:09

Glam Descendant
The Warhol interview w/Capote in which he discussed his aborted coverage of the '72 tour appeared in Rolling Stone issue no. 132 (April 12, 1973)

Capote never delivered on his Stones project in '72 so this interview by Andy was a compromise of sorts.

Cool -- thanks! If you haven't read it, it's also been reprinted in the book above, whose full text is partially online.

Wonder why the Beards think that rolling stone has Capote's article?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1470
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home