Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS - NOW WITH PICTURES!
Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: September 22, 2009 09:39

OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!! [NOW WITH PICTURES!!!!!!]

Mr.Ed

erikjjf
St Pauli Theater.

Danke fur den link.... ;-)

I saw in the agenda of St. Pauli Theater that on 12 oktober there is still nothing scheduled...............
Anyone in the province Groningen with plans to visit Charlie and friends in Hamburg (if it happens)?
Mr.Ed

I Thought I start a special topic about the gig in Hamburg.
According to the website of Ben Waters it will take place on monday oktober 12 in St. Pauli Theater (that's close to the Reeperbahn......... smileys with beer >grinning smiley< smiling bouncing smiley smileys with beer drinking smiley )

www.benwaters.com

On the site of the theater there is still nothing mentioned for oktober 12:

www.st-pauli-theater.de

Anyone from the north of the Netherlands with plans to visit this gig?
Maybe we can go together.

Mr.Ed

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-17 22:43 by bv.

Re: 12th GERMANY - HAMBURG - ST PAULY THEATRE WITH CHARLIE WATTS, JOOLS HOLLAND, AXEL ZWINGENBERGER & DAVE GREEN!!!!
Date: September 22, 2009 11:27

Just got an email back from St Pauli Theatre:

Hello,

We cannot confirm it until now, please have a look on our website in the beginning of october.

Kind regards,

St. Pauli Theater
Gesa Schaefer

--------------

Mr.Ed

Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!!
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 22, 2009 19:18

I just called the St.-Pauli-Theater and the lady there said that the pre-selling of the tickets would start on Tue, 29 Sep. She, however, took note of my name and phone nbr and said they would still call me to inform when the pre-selling actually starts. I'll try to advertise any further news on this board in due course.

Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!!
Date: September 23, 2009 20:31

Just got my first newsletter from St Pauli Theatre.
No news about the gig on oktober 12.... :-)

Mr.Ed

Tickets now on sale: Charlie Watts 12 Oct 8 pm St Pauli Theater Hamburg Germany/ ABC of Boogie Woogie with Axel Zwingenberger Ben Waters Jools Holland Lila Ammons
Date: September 29, 2009 11:17

St Pauli Theater just phoned me. Tickets are now on sale. Contact + 49 40 4711060.

[www.st-pauli-theater.de]

Re: Tickets now on sale: Charlie Watts 12 Oct 8 pm St Pauli Theater Hamburg Germany/ ABC of Boogie Woogie with Axel Zwingenberger Ben Waters Jools Holland Lila Ammons
Date: September 29, 2009 14:01

dead.flowers
St Pauli Theater just phoned me. Tickets are now on sale. Contact + 49 40 4711060.

Thanks for the info, just ordered my ticket by telephone.
Online booking is not possibel at this moment.
Have to re-resreve it on 6 oktober, otherwise I had to pick up my ticket 1 week in before showdate.

Mr.Ed

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 29, 2009 21:37

Date: October 2, 2009 12:48

Hello,

How many IORRians will go to this gig?
Any pre-IORR meeting and/or party plans?

Mr.Ed

Date: October 2, 2009 17:24

Hi, Mr. Ed,

I'll go (+ 1 company).

Anybody else coming along?

Latest info from the Theater: Front and centre of theatre (up to row 14) all sold out, however, in the back and on the sides still some tickets available. Ticket hotline: +49 40 47110666.

Date: October 2, 2009 17:58

dead.flowers
Latest info from the Theater: Front and centre of theatre (up to row 14) all sold out, however, in the back and on the sides still some tickets available. Ticket hotline: +49 40 47110666.

Date: October 2, 2009 17:59

Date: October 2, 2009 18:01

dead.flowers
Hi, Mr. Ed,

I'll go (+ 1 company).

Anybody else coming along?

Hello,

Here is a recent (hmmm, christmas 2008) picture of me:

Maybe you recognize me.............

Mr.Ed

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: October 2, 2009 18:27

Date: October 5, 2009 20:32

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-03-17 14:54 by dead.flowers.

Date: October 5, 2009 20:34

TooTough

Are you wizard, TooTough, are the coloured seats the ones still free at that time? Where have you found it?

Date: October 5, 2009 22:39

dead.flowers
TooTough
Are you wizard, TooTough, are the coloured seats the ones still free at that time? Where have you found it?

The coloured ones are left ("Row 1-14 are sold out, posted earlier":-)
(yellow: 39 €, pink 29)
It´s on the theater homepage (Saalplan).

Here´s a recent picture:

Tickets arrived today, btw, our Charles Robert is mentioned on it!

Date: October 6, 2009 00:05

dead.flowers
Mr.Ed

Hello,

Here is a recent (hmmm, christmas 2008) picture of me:

Maybe you recognize me.............

Mr.Ed

Yes, Mr. Ed, I'll be centre of 1st row, hope we can meet. dead.flowers

I am in row 10, chair 13.
CU before or after the show.

Did not recieve any ticket yet.........

Mr.Ed

Date: October 7, 2009 09:24

Recieved my ticket yesterday.

No Jools Holland on the ticket.
He still is mentioned on Ben Waters his tourlist for oktober 12.
Will he be there or not?

Mr.Ed

Date: October 7, 2009 09:45

Glad you received your tix, Mr.Ed, and, according to the theatre's programme info the line-up includes Jools Holland. Any doubt about him appearing?

Die St. Pauli Boogie Woogie-Nacht The ABC of Boogie Woogie:
12. Oktober 2009
Beginn: 20.00 Uhr
Die St. Pauli Boogie Woogie-Nacht

The ABC of Boogie Woogie:
Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Charlie Watts & Dave Green feat. Jools Holland, Lila Ammons

Die St. Pauli Boogie Woogie-Nacht bringt ein internationales Sensationsgastspiel erstmals in Deutschland auf die ehrwürdige Bühne des St. Pauli-Theaters: The ABC of Boogie Woogie!

Axel Zwingenberger, der Boogie Woogie-Großmeister aus Hamburg, und der junge englische Boogie-Virtuose Ben Waters haben diese heiße Tastenshow aus der Taufe gehoben. Am Schlagzeug ein Weltstar: Rolling Stone Charlie Watts! Gemeinsam haben sie bereits zahlreiche umjubelte Konzerte in England gegeben, darunter in der Londoner Royal Festival Hall. Vervollständigt wird das Quartett durch Dave Green, der zu den besten Jazz-Kontrabassisten Europas gehört.

An zwei Flügeln lassen Ben und Axel die Tasten tanzen, während Charlie und Dave den rollenden Boogie-Beat befeuern. Kein Zweifel: Boogie Woogie ist der ältere und wildere Bruder des Rock'n'Roll! Für die Kontinentalpremiere auf St. Pauli hat "The ABC of Boogie Woogie" gleich noch zwei weitere Stargäste eingeladen: Jools Holland aus London ist nicht nur exzellenter Pianist und Chef seiner eigenen Big Band, sondern auch Präsentator einer der angesagtesten TV-Musikshows Englands. Versprochen: sechshändige Boogies mit Axel und Ben!

Aus den USA kommt Lila Ammons, Enkelin des Boogie-Königs Albert Ammons und Blues- und Boogie Woogie-Sängerin de luxe, die gemeinsam mit Axel Zwingenberger den Charme des klassischen Blues pflegt und swingend das Publikum verzaubert. The ABC of Boogie Woogie und St. Pauli: ein authentisches Rendezvous auf Hamburger Beat-Boden - da rockt die Reeperbahn!

Date: October 11, 2009 16:39

+++sold out+++

See you tomorrow!

Date: October 13, 2009 12:51

Hello, I'm back online.
What a great show it was there in Hamburg. Charlie was really enyoing himself, more then at a regular Stones concert these days (my personal opinion).
It was as if we were back in time for 50 years or so.
The stage was very small. The piano players were more or less positioned with there back to the audiance and between the 2 pinao's was just enough space for Charlies drumkit.
Dave Green stood half after Charlie and the right piano.

He played on a very old drumkit that was owned by the brother of Axel Z.
It was his personal request to play on that kit, and that made it easy for him for that he did not had to take his own kit from England..... ;-)
The venue was great, a tiny old theatre from the 30-ties I think (correct me if I am wrong).

At the end there was a 4th pianoplayer on stage who played a little along with the others. It was a bit sloppy looking person. Did not hear his name. Anybody? probably a "local hero".

Are there any pictures online?

I have exchanged my email adress with the person next to me that was taking pictures. Hopefully he sends me some good shots of that night.

Greetings, Mr.Ed

PS:
On the way back my car hit something (cat or rabbit) on the highway.
The whole front of my car must be probaly replaced by a new one.... :-(
Fortunatly I could get home after a small repairment with "McGuiver" tape.... ;-)

Posted by: turd ()
Date: October 13, 2009 13:21

Mr Ed, regarding Charlies drums he borrowed for the gig, can you describe them, do you know what make they were, (not Gretsch?), colour etc ?

Charlie is very fussy about his drums, I am amazed he borrowed someone elses.

Date: October 13, 2009 14:08

turd
Mr Ed, regarding Charlies drums he borrowed for the gig, can you describe them, do you know what make they were, (not Gretsch?), colour etc ?

Charlie is very fussy about his drums, I am amazed he borrowed someone elses.

During the brake I took a close look at the stage.
It was not a Gretsch, there was a very small logo on the bassdrum. I could not read it.
The front of the bassdrum looked as if it was been wet and dirty, a bit marmered.
The Toms where white.
Hopefully there will surface some pics that give you more info.

Mr.Ed

St. Pauli Theater - Oct 12, 2009 - Boogie Night with Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Dave Green, Jools Holland, Lila Ammons
Date: October 13, 2009 14:24

[edited: the title, pic added]

Yeah, I am back too. Thanks for the nice report, Mr.Ed. I was pleased to meet you, but unfortunately didn't find you again after the end of the show. Sorry about your car accident, glad nothing happened to you.

St. Pauli Theater is a nice old theater, dating back to 1841, btw, and the atmosphere was very cosy. I felt like in and old fashioned living room. I was there with my kid in centre of first row from where we could touch the stage with our hands, and see every move in Charlies interesting facial expressions. He even smiled and nodded at us at one time.

We saw a very loose and smiling, even joking Charlie who was obviously enjoying himself a great deal. The show started at eight, with half an hour's break at nine, to end at eleven only. People really liked it and took part in clapping their hands, shouting. Even myself, though not being familiar with Boogie Woogie and such a mass of piano at all, I loved it. What a speed there is in this music. One of the later songs sounded to me after Johnnie Be Goode.

Unfortunately there was no chance to ask Charlie that special question about the next tour.

Towards the end of the show a guy came and asked permission to take some photos from right in front of us and I asked him later and he said he would mail me some of these shots and I hope he'll do and I would put them here then.

After the show we waited at the exit for Charlie with some photo that my boy would have liked to get autographed, but sadly without success, too many people behaving too pushy. Nevermind, we'll get what we need some time.

It was nice then to see Charlie doing what he does simply because he likes it, because I figure that night's pay will hardly cover his travel and overnight expenses. And, now it comes to mind how enthusiastically he hit his drums with such a boyish grin on his face that you can't misunderstand: He was having fun!

The special guest in the grand finale was The Boogie Man Vince "the Prince" Weber, a local hero and national Boogie legend, who indeed looked a bit worn, and I heard people saying "he must be at least by 76 now", but he's only 56.

Vince "the Prince" Weber - The Boogie Man

Re: St. Pauli Theater - Oct 12, 2009 - Boogie Night with Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Dave Green, Jools Holland, Lila Ammons
Date: October 13, 2009 14:36

Aha. That was his name

>>Vince "the Prince" Weber - The Boogie Man

Re: St. Pauli Theater - Oct 12, 2009 - Boogie Night with Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Dave Green, Jools Holland, Lila Ammons
Date: October 13, 2009 14:37

Date: October 13, 2009 14:37

Vince "the Prince" Weber - The Boogie Man

Posted by: blutsvente66 ()
Date: October 13, 2009 14:48

Date: October 13, 2009 14:59

Hello blutsvente66,

Could you send me some (or all) of these pictures in high resolution?
If so send them to eddy.cruiming@gmail.com
Thanx in advance.

Mr.Ed

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 13, 2009 15:11

Drum kit was Slingerland Radio King belonging to Torsten Zwingenberger. Must be older than Charlie's own stuff.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home