Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: Cook Cook Blues
Posted by: René ()
Date: August 3, 2009 08:58

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Cook Cook Blues
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Pathé Marconi Studios (EMI Studios), Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France,
November 11 - December 17, 1982 and
Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 15 - June 29, 1989

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Ron Wood - electric slide guitar
Ian Stewart - piano
Chuck Leavell - organ

Cook, cook, cook, cooked every mornin'
Cook, cook, cook through all the night
Work, work, work in the evening, boy
And dance and it will work out alright
Work on me, baby, baby, come-a-close
You cook, cook, cook, cook, cook, alright

Bad, bad, bad loving baby
And I lay out my love alright
And I ain't have spoiled sod
And I ain't must to imagine
And I'll give it up alright
Love, love, love and a cook, cook for us every night

Cook, cook, cook till the mornin'
Cook, cook, cook till the night
Work, work, work in the kitchen
And it will make 'em all come out alright
Well, I don't want to live like a poor man
And work, work, work, work every night

Work, work, work every mornin'
And the same thing every night
I just long for the morning
When I'm cooked, cooked, cooked every night

Produced by The Glimmer Twins & Chris Kimsey

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Rock And A Hard Place / Cook Cook Blues” 7” single
(CBS 38-73057) US, November 11, 1989

Re: Track Talk: Cook Cook Blues
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 3, 2009 09:44

Great song.

Did they change much in '89 or was it all recorded in '82?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: August 3, 2009 09:52

Love when Ronnie comes in with what he thinks is gonna be a slide guitar break but realizes it's another verse and corrects himself. Stones sound like a raw local blues bar band on this one. Love it.

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: August 3, 2009 10:47

You're not supposed to talk bad about people, that's how I'm raised, and I feel I don't wanna talk bad about a Stones song, but "Cook Cook Blues" I make an exception. This is for me a typical album filler or a B-side that wasn't good enogh for the album. I really hope I never hear that song live ever (among songs like "Winning Ugly", "Bact to Zero", "You got me rocking" ....)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 3, 2009 11:52

Ruby Friday
You're not supposed to talk bad about people, that's how I'm raised, and I feel I don't wanna talk bad about a Stones song, but "Cook Cook Blues" I make an exception. This is for me a typical album filler or a B-side that wasn't good enogh for the album. I really hope I never hear that song live ever (among songs like "Winning Ugly", "Bact to Zero", "You got me rocking" ....)

I agree (even though I'm afraid you might not have good chances with "You Got Me Rocking" in future...grinning smiley). In those days - prior the 'golden age' of CD format - a plain blues, played half-heartly, did not have place in one record album. (To think that if "Cook Cook" and "Think I'm Going Mad" had made UNDERCOVER, it might have sounded more richer, but perhaps not more cohesive or better?).

But in any case, I think "Cook Cook Blues" is quite cheap shot by the Stones: they just jam and have fun, I don't think it was ever considered as a serious song to make any album - they can make 'songs' like that a dozen a day; it's in their blood. It is surprising that they did finally decided to release it (and not bothered to make a similar new effort, a'la "Fancy Man Blues", etc.)

But of course, it is always a joy listen da Stones playing 'pure' blues. They can never made it too wrong (by being the best and most original white blues band there ever been - no matter what the 'blues purists' say).

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-03 12:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2009 15:24

A throwaway, but a fun one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 3, 2009 18:12

Isn't this song built like a blues, that is the lyrics have a double meaning. Replace "cook" by coke" and you'll see what I mean.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 3, 2009 18:46

I really doubt that, the double meaning.

Great tune band wise.

Why would I Think I'm Going Mad have been considered for release on Undercover when it was an ER song? It would not have fit! It would fit ER without a doubt. Obviously they liked the tune enough to issue it as a B-side, like Through The Lonely Nights was.

Perhaps they did a new mix of it in 1989 strictly for the B-side.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 3, 2009 20:30

skipstone
Why would I Think I'm Going Mad have been considered for release on Undercover when it was an ER song? It would not have fit! It would fit ER without a doubt.

It was re-recorded for Undercover, though.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:35

Cook Cook Blues, oh man, now this is the Stones I love! So vastly superior to the A-side (Rock and a Hard Place) in terms of soul, authenticity, and vitality. Love those mumbled, jumbled lyrics, baby.

The only thing better at the time, IMO, was Fancy Man Blues, one of their greatest songs ever, if you ask me. And if I remember correctly, these two tracks were cut at the same session, and if you play Cook Cook after Fancy Man they seem to flow together like they are one track.

Drew

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 18, 2010 23:48

I like it. It does not sound as an Undercover outtakes. I mean the production seems different and the sound itself too.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1372
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home