Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: AMAZING !!! Complete BROWN SUGAR/GIMME SHELTER 1969 - Live at ALTAMONT !!!
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 1, 2009 18:14

yea the groove is great
slower
swinglike
fantastic

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 1, 2009 19:16

Have they been taken down/Lowered Brown Sugar since, tune-wise?
Was thinkin if Keef's sudden brain drain at some
places (not to mention Brno 2007)is some kinda "Back-to-basics"?

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 2, 2009 00:34

Jagger looks like he's about to jump out of his own skin from the adrenalin on the JJF shot at Altamont...man...and Keith's guitar sound is oozing malevolence...slowing down the famous JJF propulsion so that one can discern every last dripping bit of nastiness...their sound that night was literally evil...whew!

I can only pray that one day this concert will be released in its entirety...it's like the Holy Grail for Stones fans...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 5, 2009 12:05

The rhythm and groove in this legendary Brown Sugar version is ferkin' awesome. 1969 was the most swinging, groovin' tour the Stones ever did -- when they had what I think Gazza (?) called the "slow groove" that never really came back after that year.

Stanley Booth wrote in his book about the '69 tour that Jagger's slightly hesitant or insecure way of introducing Brown Sugar at Altamont was due to the fact that the Stones didn't have work permits (???) to record in the states and therefore didn't want to reveal that they'd been recording at Muscle Shoals Alabama. Hence Jagger emphasising five million times that they just WROTE it.

Booth also wrote that it was Mick Taylor who spontaneously suggested Brown Sugar to Mick and Keith on stage that evening. They had not planned to unveil it, but it sure worked damn well.

I'm not convinced the recording is a soundboard because of the close clapping from very few people. Could be crew or people who just happened to be near the mike. But the whole recording is similar to the audience recording I have on CD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 5, 2009 21:35

LieB

Stanley Booth wrote in his book about the '69 tour that Jagger's slightly hesitant or insecure way of introducing Brown Sugar at Altamont was due to the fact that the Stones didn't have work permits (???) to record in the states and therefore didn't want to reveal that they'd been recording at Muscle Shoals Alabama. Hence Jagger emphasising five million times that they just WROTE it.

I have also heard from different sources of this claim of not having work permits to record in the States (some source claimed it was due to some union deal - and Alabama was not part of it?). Any case, next year they without hesitation relaesed a movie where everyone can see them in a studio making music...tongue sticking out smiley so, there is something I don't quite get in it. A typical Rolling Stones middle-finger statement??? Can anyone inform more?

- Doxa

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: August 5, 2009 22:35

This is one of my favorite performances of Brown Suger as well. It just sounds so raw and nasty.

LieB
I'm not convinced the recording is a soundboard because of the close clapping from very few people. Could be crew or people who just happened to be near the mike. But the whole recording is similar to the audience recording I have on CD.

You´re right, it´s the same old audience recording. Doesn´t sound like a soundboard at all IMO.

Posted by: HeatherAnnePeel ()
Date: September 6, 2009 05:35

The set at Altamont is the greatest Rock 'n Roll ever performed. The entire 1969 tour was leading to this dark apocalypse. If one compares the earlier '69 West coast shows to Detroit through Altamont, this is readily apparent. ABKCO and Albert Maysles shoud release a DVD/CD "The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont" featuring the entire performance. I'm sure it will happen someday, and I have read that it does exist and people have seen it and been blown away by the power of the Stones performance. It was cool when the Blind Faith Hyde Park show was released on DVD, but Altamont, in it's entirety would be the ultimate. The Rolling Stones peak was the 1969 tour, no doubt about that. It was also the peak of Rock 'n Roll. It was in the same league of intensity as Robert Johnson's 1936-37 recordings; visceral, immediate and jaw-dropppingly awesome!!!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 6, 2009 08:52

Someone on here posted this like 2 years ago. Ty whoever it was,but get with it people! LOL!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 6, 2009 08:53

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="

&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i feel this has better sound quality

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 6, 2009 09:53

Who play's slide on this version. I've heard arguments of Clapton and Cooder. What's the truth?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 6, 2009 12:00

Eric Clapton!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home