Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

another guitar question
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 30, 2009 02:15

Why did they stop making guitars with the nitrocellulose lacquer and start putting a thick coat of urethane on them. To me it makes them sound stiff verse the old way. After the old ones got a little ware on them,they seemed to become more lively and rich with resonance. Can you still buy bodies done the old way? It seems I read someware,Keith said he doesent use new ones for this and other reasons.

Re: another guitar question
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 30, 2009 03:39

Don't worry, even Keith uses poly-coated guitars - like the black Custom Tele. although he loves his ol' axes.
Here's some info below I found on the Telecaster board.

it's from Mark Kendrick, master builder @ Fender.
here goes:

"Pardon my typos. I've lost alot of brain cells in my day. Could it be the 'Nitro'.

The first Fender lap steel was finished in black enamel. When Doc Kauffman and Leo formed K&F guitars in 1945, their original instruments, including the amplifiers, were finished in a lead based, wrinkle coat enamel. A nice shade of Battleship Grey. That was the only color available. After expermenting with different woods other than pine for guitars, they began using nitrocellulose lacquer. They used what was available to the furniture trade at the time.
The original colors were blonde, sunburst, etc... just like your Grandmas coffee table.

Custom colors were introduced in 1955. Once again they were enamel. The same material they used in the auto industry. The enamel would not adhere to the stearate based nitocellulose sanding sealer. Acrylic lacquers were then developed by Dupont to be sprayed on material other than metal. "Duco colors". In order for the paint to adhere, Fender began using a Sherwin Williams product called Homoclad. It was a penetrating, heavy solid, oil based sealer used as a barrier coat to to provide better adhesion for their guitars with custom colors. It was applied by dipping the guitar bodies directly into a 55 gallon drum, filled with the product. ALL Fender guitars produced after 1955 used this product until 1967, when Fender began experimenting with polyesters as an undercoat.

By 1968, virtually all Fender guitar products used polyester as an undercoat, including necks. It's a two part product using Methyl Ethyl Ketone(MEK) as a catalyst. The reason the face of the pegheads were not sealed with polyester, is because type 'C' decals (under the finish) would not adhere to the product. While it is true a few guitars may have squeaked by with homoclad, when homoclad wasn't available, they used a Fuller O'Brian product called Ful-O-Plast. PLASTIC!!! It's obvious to me that those necks or bodies were stragglers, having to be reworked for some reason or another and not shipped after the change.

I'd like to make one thing clear... ALL FENDER GUITARS PRODUCED AFTER 1968 HAD A POLYESTER UNDERCOAT WITH A LACQUER TOPCOAT!!!
There is no specific ratio. Enough poly was, and is sprayed to properly fill the grain while preventig a burn through while sanding.

In 1983, Fender began using polyuerthane as a topcoat. It cured quicker. It had better clarity. It had more depth and gloss, and didn't melt when you accidently spilled 151 on it. Fender then discontinued the use of polyester on the necks. Polyurethane is a 2 part product using a catalyst.

Fender has continued to use polyester, polyurethane, nitro, homoclad, and Ful-O-Plast.

Nitro is not a superior finish. An electric guitar doesn't 'breathe' at 120 db.

My first year at Fender I personally painted approximately 46,000 guitars. I like polyester. I like Nitro colors too. But maybe I'll let the players that use poly (ester or urethane) speak for themselves...

Billy Gibbons, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Joe Perry, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Roccco Prestia, Jimmie Vaughn, Nils Lofgren, Vince Gill, Chet Atkins, Tom Hamilton, Lenny Kravitz, Merle Haggard, Don Rich, Darryl Jones, Mike Stern, Larry Carlton, Peter Frampton, Sting, Marty Stuart, just to name a few. More are available upon request.

Hope this helps,

Mark K."

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: July 30, 2009 06:01

Wow..nice reply open-g,thanks for taking the time. In you opinion do you think that fender has gone back to the nitro lacqure for the new "Roadworn" guitars just for the looks? Thanks again,

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 30, 2009 13:53

ohcarol
Wow..nice reply open-g,thanks for taking the time. In you opinion do you think that fender has gone back to the nitro lacqure for the new "Roadworn" guitars just for the looks? Thanks again,

Its a market. Lots of guitarists believe that a nitro finish adds value to the instrument, so Fender gives them nitro finishes.

Below a link to a nice read on Fender's eraly finishes

[www.provide.net]

C

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:09

ohcarol

Yep, sure. where there's demand - there's a market, like Liddas said.
the relic'd or roadworn look actually is a finish option you pay for.
but keep in mind that they are MIM - Made in Mexico guitars, which can be had for quite some $$ less without the special treatment.
btw, Fender specs the neck as "1-Piece Maple, ā€œCā€ Shape,
(Urethane Finish) "

Posted by: rowley ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:15

Here's a link to a relatively inexpensive acoustic with a nitro finish:
[www.recordingking.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 17:16 by rowley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1286
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home