Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T The Lightning Seeds,Liverpool Philharmonic,Sunday 26th July 2009
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: July 27, 2009 11:52

Hello,

First time for me seeing this band but I really was looking forward to it,given how much I like the one album of theirs that I own.Yep,the Greatest Hits one.
Ian Broudie's songs were the perfect remedy for countering my hangover 'fear',as they are usually uplifting and sometimes wistful,but always with great hooks and melodies.This is why I keep thinking of him in the same vein as Brian Wilson,with their layers of sound and always chasing the perfect pop sound.

Last night opened-up with a couple of crowd-pleasers from...yep,the Greatest Hits album and basically,the guys and gal onstage couldn't put a foot wrong,especially as this was a home fixture:the capacity crowd were loving this right from the off.Approximately 2/3 rds of the show was given over to all his best-known songs with the remainder either new songs (which went over so well that even IB was surprised!) of choice covers,which is where the Brian Wilson connection gets a little less tenuous.
IB introduced "...perhaps the best song ever written...and no,I didn't write it!" and then delivered a beautiful version of 'Then I Kissed Her':if BW had been in the house,I reckon the big man would've been blubbing!

A lot of Lightning Seeds songs are multi-layered and would be nigh impossible for a four-piece band to recreate,which is why some of the songs were stripped-down,but a good is always a good song:these guys worked their backsides off with their backing vocals as well as playing-up a storm.

For the encore,IB brought on one Ian McCulloch (there's a fellow who needs a little more self-belief,heh-heh!) to duet on an old Merseybeat number...'Sorrow'.Must admit that I only ever knew it as Dame David's,but like I said earlier,a good song is always a good song:this was special.
We wouldn't let this band quit,but after a barnstorming,revved-up 'Life Of Riley' it was going-home time:they sent us away with smiles on our faces...thanks!

Cheers,

Si.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-27 17:15 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Lightning Seeds,The Phil,Liverpool,Sunday 26th July 2009
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 27, 2009 12:02

Brilliant stuff, Si
pleased you had a good time, 'Jolification' is a classic album, on of the best from the 90's... love it, and getting to hear Ian McCulloch
is always a good thing.

Re: O/T Lightning Seeds,The Phil,Liverpool,Sunday 26th July 2009
Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: July 27, 2009 14:15

Good Stuff Simon; i'm with AdrianL on this. Broudie's a fookin' genius with a real gift for melody. As an Irishman, I remember seeing coverage of the European Championships and the crowd all singing Footballs Coming Home.

I'm not proud of it, but for those 3 minutes, i kinda wouldn't have minded being English. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home