Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Tom Keylock Dies 40 Years to the Day after Brian Jones
Posted by: originalstones ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:39

Former Stones minder in the 60s, Tom Keyloock died on July, 2, 2009. Ironically 40 years to the day after Brian Jones.

Here's the link to the story of his life and death.

[www.timesonline.co.uk]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 15:19 by originalstones.

Re: Tom Keylock Died
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2009 14:46

Sad news of Mr Get-It-Together's passing ... Safe journey Tom

But he was given a month to think about the offer and finally accepted after a further meeting with Jagger in which the singer asked him about his war experiences. As he subsequently explained to the biographer Christopher Sandford in his book Mick Jagger: Rebel Knight: “I’d had plastic surgery on me nose and on me face when I’d been in the Army. And I’d had this skin graft from the side of me leg and me backside on to me face. When I told Mick about it, he said, ‘So that’s why you talk so much shit’.”

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 15:08 by Rockman.

Re: Tom Keylock Died 40 Years to the Day after Brian Jones
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2009 15:03

RIP

Some Brian fans may have different view though!

Re: Tom Keylock Died 40 Years to the Day after Brian Jones
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 11, 2009 15:13

From The Times
July 11, 2009
Tom Keylock: Rolling Stones fixer

(Trevor Humphries)
Keylock, left, accompanying Brian Jones to a hearing for drug possession in London in September 1968
Tom Keylock played a crucial part in the turbulent 1960s history of the Rolling Stones. Initially employed as a chauffeur, he swiftly became indispensable as the band’s most trusted all-round “fixer”.

Dubbed “Mr Get-It-Together” by the band’s principal guitarist Keith Richards, his duties expanded to include bodyguard, cook, road manager, procurer and much else besides.

Fiercely loyal in the defence of his employers’ interests, he was there when band members appeared in court on drugs charges, and — as he was a man of the world from an older generation — his youthful charges frequently sought his advice on relationships and other personal matters. When hanging around the recording studio waiting to drive the Stones home one night, he was even invited to sing in the backing chorus on their recording of Sympathy for the Devil.

Although he kept a low profile during most of this activity, he achieved notoriety when, after being detailed by the band’s management to keep a watch on the erratic Brian Jones following his departure from the Stones, he was one of the first to arrive on the scene after Jones’s death by drowning in his swimming pool in 1969.

Rumour and mystery still swirl around Jones’s demise, with Keylock’s role at the centre of much of the more lurid speculation. He subsequently acted as an adviser during the making of the film Stoned (2005), which depicted the events surrounding Jones’s death and was portrayed in the film by the actor David Morrissey.

Born in 1926 in North London, Keylock joined the Royal Army Service Corps and served at the Battle of Arnhem in 1944 and subsequently in Palestine. He was discharged in 1948 and returned to London, working as a driver and developing a shrewd toughness that was to hold him in good stead.

By 1965 he was running a car hire company in Wood Green, North London, when he received a booking to chauffeur two young men to Heathrow airport. The duo were Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and they were so impressed by the dexterity with which Keylock dodged traffic, fans and photographers alike, that he was offered a full-time job on the spot.

He initially balked at the idea, and his wife, Joan, was even more appalled. But he was given a month to think about the offer and finally accepted after a further meeting with Jagger in which the singer asked him about his war experiences. As he subsequently explained to the biographer Christopher Sandford in his book Mick Jagger: Rebel Knight: “I’d had plastic surgery on me nose and on me face when I’d been in the Army. And I’d had this skin graft from the side of me leg and me backside on to me face. When I told Mick about it, he said, ‘So that’s why you talk so much shit’.”

The irreverent humour appealed to Keylock and he agreed to sign on. His employment was a typically astute move by Jagger. The Stones’ manager, Andrew Loog Oldham, was no older than the band and although his early stewardship had been brilliant, it was as if Jagger intuitively realised that as the pressures and dangers grew with their increased celebrity, Keylock’s worldly-wise experience would prove invaluable. He began driving the group on their tour of Britain in the autumn of 1965 and his wider set of skills was soon in evidence. Bill Wyman, the Stones’ bass guitarist, recalls the tour arriving in Manchester and a military-style operation to get them from hotel to venue without being mobbed by fans, involving back stairways, fire escapes and decoy vehicles. Keylock relished such subterfuge and played a key part in organising the manoeuvres.

By 1966 he had become so highly regarded within the Stones camp that when Bob Dylan toured Britain and required a chauffeur and bodyguard, Richards suggested he should borrow Keylock. He did sterling service again, administering a “good kicking” to a waiter who, after delivering room service to Dylan at his hotel in Glasgow, decided to give him a lecture on how he was a “traitor” to folk music.

He also rescued Dylan when members of the Stones took exception to Dylan telling them that while he could easily have written Satisfaction, the Stones could never write a song as good as Mr Tambourine Man. One group member was allegedly about to take a swing at Dylan but Keylock hustled him out of the way before the incident could get any uglier.

Keylock can be seen in D. A. Pennebaker’s documentary film of Dylan’s 1966 tour, Eat the Document, in a bizarre scene in which he drives Dylan and John Lennon around the streets of London while they are high on drugs. The episode closes with Dylan asking Keylock to get him back to his hotel because he is about to be sick.

On a European tour in 1967 Keylock was again busy in the defence of his employers. He hit a fan who jumped on stage and attempted to molest Jagger during a concert in Zurich so hard that he broke his own hand, and he got into a brawl with a French immigration official who had the temerity to suggest that each member of the band present his passport individually rather than Keylock proffering them collectively.

Back in Britain, he accompanied band members to court after their various drug busts in 1967 and when Richards and Jones decided to escape the unwelcome attentions of the press and the drugs squad by fleeing abroad, Keylock was deployed to drive them across Europe to North Africa in Richards’s Bentley, nicknamed “the Blue Lena”.

When Jones fell ill and had to be left in a hospital in Toulouse, Keylock drove on through France and Spain, crossing to Morocco via Gibraltar, barely able to keep his eyes on the road while Richards became intimate with Jones’s girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg, on the back seat.

When Jones had recovered he rejoined them in Morocco. But after he assaulted Pallenberg, he was abandoned for the second time as Keylock helped the rest of the party to decamp without him.

It was the beginning of the end for Jones. He became an increasingly marginalised figure within the group and his departure from the Stones was eventually announced in June 1969. A month later he was dead, drowned in the swimming pool at his home in Hartfield, East Sussex.

Keylock was informed immediately by a phone call from Frank Thorogood, an old friend whom he had recommended to Jones as a builder to carry out work on the property, and who was staying in the house. After the police, Keylock was the next person to arrive at the scene. He immediately took charge, burning many of Jones’s clothes and personal effects (allegedly at the behest of his family) and then spiriting away Jones’s girlfriend, Anna Wohlin, to prevent the media getting to her.

Two days later the Stones played a famous concert in Hyde Park, during which thousands of white butterflies were released as a memorial to Jones. It was Keylock who stood on stage behind the band and opened the boxes to free the butterflies to float above the crowd.

If that was a noble gesture, Keylock’s other side can be seen in the film of the same concert made by Granada TV, in which he tells the Hell’s Angels deployed as “security” how they will operate. If they don’t like his instructions, he informs them that they’re welcome to come and see him “when I’ve got my baseball bat”.

When Thorogood died in 1993, Keylock claimed that his old friend had confessed to him on his deathbed that he had drowned Jones in his pool. But despite several books on the subject and Stephen Woolley’s film Stoned, the exact circumstances in which Jones met his end are disputed to this day. Coincidentally, Keylock died 40 years to the day after Jones.

Soon after Jones’s death, Keylock left the Stones’ employment to start his own transport company. He was a devoted family man who was married for 58 years. He was a keen football fan who was at one time chairman of Beaconsfield FC. During the 1980s he worked for the England football team, transporting the kit and laying it out for the players in the Wembley dressing room before a game.

He is survived by his wife Joan, to whom he was married in 1951, and by four daughters.

Tom Keylock, Rolling Stones fixer, was born on August 9, 1926. He died on July 2, 2009, aged 82

[www.timesonline.co.uk]

Re: Tom Keylock Dies 40 Years to the Day after Brian Jones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 11, 2009 15:33

RIP Mr Keylock.

It's pretty cosmic how both Klein and Keylock have both died pretty much 40 years to the day that Brian departed too.

Divine retribution? Karma? confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-11 15:45 by His Majesty.

Date: July 11, 2009 15:34

Coincidence.

Date: July 11, 2009 15:37

Edith Grove
Coincidence.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 11, 2009 15:44

Tom Keylock at 2.00

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 11, 2009 16:29

Quite an obituary for a driver of the Stones in the 60's.

Mathijs

Date: July 11, 2009 16:38

Mathijs

Mathijs

More than just a driver, would not you think?

Lots of stuff about Keylock in that obit I never knew before.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 11, 2009 18:21

What a co-incidence of timing! I am sure many Brian Jones fans will have a field day for this... namely, as far I've been following the speculations, Tom Keylock is supposed to be the one who does know what happened in Cotchford farm 40 years ago - or at least, immediately afterwards. But be it good or not, he is silent for good from now on.

- Doxa

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 11, 2009 21:33

Mathijs
Mathijs

Well, the 60's were completely different!

And of course Keylock was much more than just a driver!
He's been a gofer, minder, a kind of personal assistant and advisor to them!
In mid/late 60's he was even pulling the strings in London's "In"scene around the Stones.
He was responsible for the sudden vanishing of Brians belongings after his dead.
Pity this has never really been cleared up!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 11, 2009 21:39

R.I.P. Tom

Posted by: elmo wiman ()
Date: July 11, 2009 21:43

Well, Tom took a few unanswerd questions with him to six feet under. I think he knew more about Brinas death than he ever did say.But perhaps one day we will know the true story.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 11, 2009 22:03

Fully agree Elmo. He was there at the farm just after that Brian died and "cleaned up" the place before the police arrived. He must have known what went down that night in July about 40 years ago. Sad that another voice is now gone

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: July 11, 2009 22:07

Mathijs

Mathijs

Keylock was much more than "a driver".

R.I.P.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 12, 2009 09:28

as Rockman said:

>> Safe journey Tom <<

Date: July 12, 2009 15:36

CousinC
Mathijs
Mathijs

He was responsible for the sudden vanishing of Brians belongings after his dead.

Was he? Why hasn't there been any rapport to the police of things stolen? Why hasn't any of his stuff ever been offered on the market in 40 years time? Why hasn’t anyone from the Stones office or Brian’s family ever stated anything in this direction?

Because it most probably is not true at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 12, 2009 16:38

Mathijs
CousinC
Mathijs
Mathijs

Was he? Why hasn't there been any rapport to the police of things stolen? Why hasn't any of his stuff ever been offered on the market in 40 years time? Why hasn’t anyone from the Stones office or Brian’s family ever stated anything in this direction?

Mathijs

Because it may not be true OR was a part of a cover-up, depending on what you believe. There was supposedly a bonfire at the scene shortly after Brian's death, so that might explain why Brian's 'stuff' is missing. The Stones office and Brian's family have been content since day one to accept the 'death by misadventure' verdict and drop the issue altogether. The Stones office at that time wanted nothing to get in the way of the band's gravy train ride, which was about to head off on whirlwind world tour, and Brian's family no longer wanted to be reminded of the shame their son brought to them. They literally wanted Brian buried and forgotten.

Date: July 12, 2009 16:42

Does anybody know why Keylock stopped working for the Stones? It seems like he stopped working for them shortly after the Hyde Park concert. Any answers?

Date: July 12, 2009 16:50

His Majesty
RIP Mr Keylock.

It's pretty cosmic how both Klein and Keylock have both died pretty much 40 years to the day that Brian departed too.

Divine retribution? Karma? confused smiley

Very strange considering some have speculated that both men had a hand in Brian's 'untimely' death. It does make one wonder when one of Keylock's main jobs was to 'keep an eye on Brian'. That just seems sinister.

Date: July 12, 2009 16:51

neptune
Mathijs
CousinC
Mathijs
Mathijs

Mathijs

The Stones office at that time wanted nothing to get in the way of the band's gravy train ride, which was about to head off on whirlwind world tour, and Brian's family no longer wanted to be reminded of the shame their son brought to them. They literally wanted Brian buried and forgotten.

Both of which do not seem to be true. The Stones office, the Klein office and the legal heirs of Jones (the Brian Jones estate, the family) have been busy until at least '71 to deal with the testament of Brian. Brian was worth a lot when he died -royalties, possessions, estate etc., but he also had a debt of about 200.000 pound with the Inland Revenue.

The Jones family became the right full owner to all Brian's possessions, which basically was worth several hundreds of thousand pounds. Do you really believe they would have simply accepted the fact that thousands and thousands pounds worth of possessions got stolen from them without reporting this to the police? You really believe that?

Don't you think that a much more logical explanation was the clearance of the house is what you with the very standard procedure of emptying out the house as fast as possible to stop robbers and fans from taking stuff? And that this is the reason why none of it has ever been offered on any market?

Mathijs

Date: July 12, 2009 17:40

Here's what Tom had to say back in 2005 regarding theft of Brian's possesions etc...

[members7.boardhost.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 12, 2009 17:53

Right, Mathijs, thats the only logical explanation. The bonfire "cover-up" theory is too funny to be true...

Ever tried to burn clothes and "other belongings" in a bonfire in a short time "before police arrives"?

Let me assure you: whatever you are trying to burn in a bonfire, it takes time. A lot of time.

Date: July 13, 2009 01:03

His Majesty
Here's what Tom had to say back in 2005 regarding theft of Brian's possesions etc...

[members7.boardhost.com]

"I put it in a huge travel case and shipped it to Lewis". Conclusive: the reason for Brian' stuff never ending up on the free market is that Jones' estate clearly knew what they were entitled to.

Quite scary though he acknowledges that Brian beat up women just like that, that he couldn’t do anything about it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 13, 2009 03:08

"And that this is the reason why none of it has ever been offered on any market?"

Actually I think some stuff from Cotchford did surface on the market a few years ago. Annoyingly I am very hazy about the details and the sources may not have been reliable but I recall anger on one of the BJ sites about the 'Brian Jones Fan Club' (one of the two that use(d) this name) being involved in the attempted sale of some possessions. Some fans left the Club in disgust over this I believe. I think some people thought Keylock was the source of the items. So he may well have claimed to have burnt a lot of Brian's stuff, explaining it's disappearance, and actually nicked it with an eye to flogging it later. Just speculation, but personally, I wouldn't trust a thing Keylock said.

Date: July 13, 2009 05:52

Mathijs
Both of which do not seem to be true. The Stones office, the Klein office and the legal heirs of Jones (the Brian Jones estate, the family) have been busy until at least '71 to deal with the testament of Brian. Brian was worth a lot when he died -royalties, possessions, estate etc., but he also had a debt of about 200.000 pound with the Inland Revenue.

The Jones family became the right full owner to all Brian's possessions, which basically was worth several hundreds of thousand pounds. Do you really believe they would have simply accepted the fact that thousands and thousands pounds worth of possessions got stolen from them without reporting this to the police? You really believe that?

Don't you think that a much more logical explanation was the clearance of the house is what you with the very standard procedure of emptying out the house as fast as possible to stop robbers and fans from taking stuff? And that this is the reason why none of it has ever been offered on any market?

Your arguments don't convince me of anything. The Jones family has done nothing for Brian in the last 40 years and haven't cared for him the least bit. They entrusted Keylock to organize his funeral. What does that tell you? Whether the Jones family was 'busy' attempting to get some money out of Brian until 1971 has nothing to do with my point. I was strictly referring to the strange circumstances of Brian's death. They never pressed Scotland Yard to further investigate his death, for instance. For a family that 's supposed to care about a deseased member, one would think they would have done more to further investigate Brian's death. The police investigation itself lasted only 48 hours and as a family member of Brian, I would have been outraged by the vague 'death by misadventure' verdict. Why didn't the family hire a private investigator or an attorney to fish for more concrete answers from Scotland Yard. But they did nothing and the Jones family's silence over 40 years, I believe, speakes volumes about their apparent lack of concern for Brian. As for the Stones office? Please. They never cared for Brian Jones and they never will. We are talking about a death investigation here, not money. Both camps, the Jones family and the Stones office, have never lifted a finger to challenge the official verdict of 'death by misadventure'. I find that attitude from both camps to very strange, especially from the Jones family.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 13, 2009 07:26

I remember Ian Astbury of The Cult dedicating "American Horse" to Brian Jones on July 3rd, 1989 while performing at Pine Knob in Clarkston, Michigan opening for Metallica. I thought I was the only one there that knew of Brian Jones' death 20 years prior. Ha ha.

July 3rd, 1969. I've never heard of this...July SECOND stuff.

Date: July 13, 2009 08:56

skipstone

July 3rd, 1969. I've never heard of this...July SECOND stuff.

Obviously the date goes between the 2nd and 3rd simply because the events happened late on the 2nd of July, with Brian being officially pronounced dead on the 3rd.

Time passes inbetween someone actually dying and it being officially pronounced.

As For tom, it's hard to know what to believe, there he is saying that Frank confessed, this is something Tom later retracted.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: July 13, 2009 13:24

RIP Mr Keylock

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home