Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Lou Gramm
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:23

Last night my family and I were up in the mountains (Big Bear, CA) at the tail end of a weekend vacation. We also went to see Lou Gramm, former lead vocalist of Foreigner. I knew him years ago (mid 80s) and fondly remember seeing the band open for the Stones in '78 at JFK, Phila.

When I knew Lou, I was not a big fan of his band (which he knew) still we got on fine- he was a truly great guy. I had not seen him in ages, but followed (and prayed hard for him during) his battle against a brain tumor, comeback tours, etc. - huge uphill battle but he has a new record out and as my wife, son and daughter saw last night, he totally delivers on stage. I admit that Foreigner has become a guilty pleasure of mine over the years; their hits are sturdy, catchy and durable--and Lou belts them out today with a knowing, seasoned voice.

The Lou Gramm Band played right by the lake at sunset last evening, and the show was followed by a colorful bombast of fireworks on the water - fantastic night all around. Best of all though was catching up after the show--Lou is still such a quiet gentleman and he delighted my family--we had a wonderful time with him.

If he's in your town, I suggest you catch him--I think we forget how few voices there are that are capable of taking us back through those moments - first dates, last dates, proms, crazy nights - Lou (and band) gave folks a good time-machine ride last night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-05 23:27 by hbwriter.

Re: OT - Lou Gramm
Date: July 5, 2009 23:30

Is that LG in the middle?

Date: July 5, 2009 23:33

yes- l-r

my wife, daughter, lou, me, my son

the surgery/treatment definitely took it's toll on this man, but I assure you, he's got the goods--

I'll post a show shot I took

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2009 23:36

Man that's one show stealin' bear in the back-ground.....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 5, 2009 23:38

hey, we were in Big Bear smiling smiley

Date: July 6, 2009 01:43

It's Gimli from Foreigner

Date: July 6, 2009 02:19

that might be funny if the guy hadn't had a massive, life-threatening brain tumor and subsequent surgery that threw his system off

but probably not

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: July 6, 2009 18:02

why isn't he touring with Foreigner? his choice?

Date: July 6, 2009 18:18

ugot--no--lots of tension there with he and Mick Jones and his medical situation affected things too- they did what lots of these bands do - hired a lame sound-alike and kept the name of the band

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 6, 2009 18:40

hbwriter
ugot--no--lots of tension there with he and Mick Jones and his medical situation affected things too- they did what lots of these bands do - hired a lame sound-alike and kept the name of the band

Well, haven't been there but very good reviews for Mick Jones (Bonham jr on drums and other well-assorted sidemen) in German on www.giessener-allgemeine.de

Date: July 6, 2009 18:47

i saw lou gramm last year... while he looks like shit he sounded phenomenal..definitely recommended if you like foreigner..

Date: July 6, 2009 19:03

JJ--it's all what you're into--if you like a slick imitation of the real thing, that's who I think the "new" Foreigner is designed for - kids who think that is the real lead singer. As for reviews, I'm sure it's a tight show that sounds good--so what? I'd just rather hear the real thing (especially bands that were essentially all "voice" like Foreigner - does anyone care about the guitar playing of Mick Jones for God's sake?)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 6, 2009 19:21

Saw them in 1978 with The Cars opening. Lou was a great front man. Wishing him well with his recovery - I never knew he was having any problems. Always liked "Midnight Blue" from his solo days.

[vodpod.com]

Date: July 6, 2009 19:24

Elmo--he's doing fantastic--fully recovered and sounds great

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: July 6, 2009 19:27

Always hated the band, but glad he's recovered and doing well...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1355
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home