Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: New releases (Universal Music)
Posted by: Bitch2 ()
Date: July 6, 2009 21:06

I am sure it will be a complete dissapointment. The 5 xtra tracks will not be Stones a typical rerelease with no efford. The DVD will not be the entire show etc, you can see the ripp off...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 7, 2009 03:20

retired_dog
tatters
alimente
Of course your example would be a travesty, but repairing a vocal is not the same thing. Lets say they want to include Prodigal Son and they have three recordings from three different shows. They would not use the version thats on the Criterion release because there, Keiths guitar is badly out of tune. So there are two versions left. One is an overall lacklustre performance, and one is great - both Mick and Keith top-notch. But on the top-notch performance they have a serious technical problem, a humming noise from the microphone while Mick sings the phrase "well a poor boy" and later on a distortion when he sings the phrase "feed my swine". They try to fix it with the exact phrases from the other performances. No luck, the timing is a tad different, it sounds unnatural. So what can they do? Ring Mick up and tell him "Hey, we need you to repair some seconds of Prodigal Son. Dont redo the complete vocals, just redo the two @#$%& up phrases". Im sure that Mick, the professional that he is, would redo the two phrases by shadowing his 1969 voice so close that apart from us die-hards who could possibly compare it to an audience recording nobody else would even notice it. If it comes down to either have an official release in perfect quality of a 1969 live track thats not already featured on YaYas with a few minor, close to unnoticable fixes or no official release of this track at all, I know for sure what my choice would be!

I think that repairing a vocal recorded FORTY years ago IS just as much of a travesty as reshooting a scene in a forty-year-old movie. I have no problem with overdubs on officially released live albums, but I think there HAS to be some kind of sensible statute of limitations. Personally, I would NEVER record a vocal overdub on a live track that was more than one year old. To do it after FORTY years, when you are old enough to be the GRANDFATHER of the kid who's singing on the original tape, is a JOKE. I don't care if it's only a line or two. Any artist who is any kind of artist at all would have to say "I just can't do that. I'm just not THAT PERSON any more. I may still do the world's greatest impersonation of that person, but I am NO LONGER THAT PERSON.

Put these tracks out, by all means, but put them out RAW, humming, buzzing, distortion, and all. It'll sound authentic, because it IS authentic. You might have to put them on a separate disc, with a little disclaimer, telling people that this material has never been tampered with in the studio, and therefore, won't sound they way they normally would expect an official live release to sound, that it sounds more like a really good bootleg, but that the band has made an artistic decision that to tamper with these tracks after so many years have passed wouldn't be the right thing to do, that the ONLY way to release these tracks NOW is to release them raw.

You're a purist, but that's usually not the way artists and record companies approach a live album. For them, a live album is a "product" first and an "authentic historical document" to a much lesser extent. Artists in particular usually don't want "warts 'n' all" stuff out there. It is possible, however, that the Stones quality control has degraded over the years to an extent that they simply do not care anymore - as the butchering of "Rocks Off" on Live Licks may indicate. I would say - let's just wait and see how things develop, it's useless to discuss this until we have the final product in our hands.

Useless to discuss it? Discussing stuff that never happens is what we specialize in here at IORR. Sure, most "live" albums are largely artificial, studio-fabricated "product", but VINTAGE live recordings are a completely different thing. It's precisely their status as authentic historical documents that causes them to have VALUE as a product. Neil Young's recently released 1971 Massey Hall concert was his best-selling album in years! It's Neil at his peak, and I'm sure it's got no overdubs on it. The same is true of Dylan's Bootleg series. He's not going into the studio, in his sixties, and "repairing" his vocals from 1966 or 1975 or whenever they were recorded. It's not because he doesn't care about quality control. It's not because he prefers to be heard warts and all. It's just that he knows that he CAN'T fix something he recorded thirty or forty years ago. He couldn't do it even if he wanted to. He doesn't sound the same as he did 40 years ago because he ISN'T the same person he was 40 years ago. No one is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-07 03:25 by tatters.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 7, 2009 03:51

Everyone is forgetting one thing - what makes any of you think Mick (and Keith, of course) will have anything to do with a ABKCO controlled product?

Either they were overdubbed or not - not EVERY song on GYYYO was overdubbed vocally. So we just have to wait, don't we?, to find out EXACTLY what is going to be released.

Until then, I drool at the prospects of hearing, at least a close idea, how the Stones wanted GYYYO to be issued.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 7, 2009 13:59

Possibly someone already has commented on this... but here you can find a really great article about Get Yer Ya-Ya's and at the end of the page, two different reconfigurations for the album.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

I'm sure that the one that we will have in November will not be so good as this.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 9, 2009 16:51

In the meantime we will feast on THIS!

[www.iorr.org]

Date: July 9, 2009 21:01

Well, is it gonna be better than the actual release? I would think so - it's MORE.
Anything at this point is better. And again, it's optional. Nobody holding a gun to your head to get ripped off! If that's really what you think. Nothing's come out yet so we don't know. Just gon' have ta wait'n'see now huh.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: July 26, 2009 10:38

Yazid Manou
Jump Back: The Best Of The Rolling Stones 1971-1993” internationally for 17th August 2009.

Just a quick message before my holidays (!), the Best Of will be released on 31st august in France.

YM

Date: July 26, 2009 15:35

Funny that they didn't even bother to update it or revamp it at all.

As in, include tracks past "1993", which is really 1989 ha ha ha ha....

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: July 27, 2009 11:02

I wonder what they mean with Exile and GYYYO released in multi formats??? Could it be different mixes like both in Stereo and Surround?
Mats

Date: August 4, 2009 12:17

Any news about this releases?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:17

Just thought I'd give this a bump since we're all so ga-ga for the new ya-ya.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:23

I suppose it would be too much to ask that these releases will be available in vinyl.

Posted by: orson ()
Date: August 14, 2009 11:40

that would be great: a DVD release on vinyl ;-)

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 14, 2009 18:30

LMAO, very good orson.

Date: August 14, 2009 23:03

I was just reading the overdub notes for Ya-Ya's and then the bits for Gimme Shelter - why all the moving shit around? I really don't get that. That seems like a lot of work. It would be very interesting to hear the shows that were recorded for Ya-Ya's and Gimme Shelter to hear where all the sayings were, etc...

Date: September 2, 2009 14:32

Here the following communiqué (only the first sentence) regarding the "new" releases for the fall :

Universal Music Group are pleased to announce the reissue of five Rolling Stones live albums on 2rd November 2009. Recorded between 1975 and 2002, Love You Live, Still Life, Flashpoint, the much-loved Stripped and Live Licks, showcase the world’s greatest rock’n’roll band in its natural habitat, on stage.

"Get Yer Ya Ya's Out !" is for november 26.

France : "Jump Back" is delayed.

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 14:47 by Yazid Manou.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:01

Great Yazid! So the live albums will be here early. smiling smiley A shame that this won't be noticed by many, since the Charlie thread is shit hot at the moment.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 2, 2009 16:36

Yazid Manou
Here the following communiqué (only the first sentence) regarding the "new" releases for the fall :

Universal Music Group are pleased to announce the reissue of five Rolling Stones live albums on 2rd November 2009. Recorded between 1975 and 2002, Love You Live, Still Life, Flashpoint, the much-loved Stripped and Live Licks, showcase the world’s greatest rock’n’roll band in its natural habitat, on stage.

YM

I wish they'd expand these live albums. It seems a much easier decision to expand a live album, to better document a performance. I've never understood why She's So Cold was left off Still Life...love that song.

Date: September 2, 2009 17:13

Was Jump Back re-released by Universal in USA??

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 2, 2009 18:24

Yazid Manou

"Get Yer Ya Ya's Out !" is for november 26.

France : "Jump Back" is delayed.

YM

...and so the "No Security" will be dropped out ?
If so,wrong decision...

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:29

Amazon has a pic of the Ya-Ya´s Box... FOUR DISCS.
Unfortunately, no tracklist, yet.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:34

4 discs - YES!!!!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:38

Life is good.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:40

Seems to be like this:

1. Original record
2. Unreleased recordings
3. BB King / Ike & Tina Turner
4. DVD

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:47

i told ya so....

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: September 2, 2009 23:48

thkbeercan
my two cents worth:

The Ya-Ya's 40th will include

Disc 1) original version with the same 10 tracks-it makes economic sense to leave
this release as is and just include the additional songs as....
Disc 2) EP with the 5 NYC performance tracks not included on Ya-Ya's-
(You Gotta Move, Prodigal Son, I'm Free/Under My Thumb, Satisfaction)
Disc 3) BB King and Ike & Tina Turner's sets
Disc 4) DVD-what ends up on this most probably will be the GIMME SHELTER out-takes
that the Maysles initially wanted to include on the Criterion DVD but were
nixed by ABKCO-i.e., Midnight Rambler and other songs for which ABKCO holds
the publishing rights. (Note that the bonus tracks which were included on
the GIMME SHELTER DVD were songs not written by Jagger-Richards and
therefore not subject to ABKCO approval.)

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: September 3, 2009 00:05

I'm happy!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 3, 2009 00:06

rootsman
Seems to be like this:

1. Original record
2. Unreleased recordings
3. BB King / Ike & Tina Turner
4. DVD

Yes, thats correct. You can zoom in and read the titles of each disc absolute clearly. No doubt, the exact titles are:

1. Original Release
2. Unreleased Tracks
3. B.B. King - Ike & Tina Turner Sets
4. Bonus DVD

Its gonna be a killer release.

Date: September 3, 2009 02:21

shortfatfanny
...and so the "No Security" will be dropped out ?

This one is not on the list.

The "Live at The Max" DVD will be released on november 2nd with the live albums.

YM

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 3, 2009 02:40

I sure hope disc 2 of the Ya-Ya's set contains more than a handful of tracks. I'd like some alternate performances to fill it up.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home