Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Coming Down Again
Date: February 20, 2014 00:59

The album always get a rap for its sound. The sound is perfect on CDA, imo.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 20, 2014 01:07

DandelionPowderman
The album always get a rap for its sound. The sound is perfect on CDA, imo.

I love the whole album, including its sound. It's my favourite one, though I think Sticky Fingers is their best album ever.

Date: February 20, 2014 01:19

Make up your mind winking smiley

I know what you mean, though. Although SG is my favourite, BB or SF is probably the best one.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: December 18, 2014 21:58

Pretty sure its a real flute...Jim Horn is credited on sax and flute on the album, and although its not specifically on the track CDA...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 18, 2014 22:44

Great sounding album.

This is one of just a few Stones songs that would sound great in audio 3D.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 18, 2014 23:39

goats head soup is a very good album, great sound and atmosphere to it and a nice contrast with the previous album, but coming down again is a bit weak, it has a nice feel to it but for me dosent really cut it as a solid stones effort. potentially it could have been so much better.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 01:15

Sublime. Beautiful. Wonderful.

Love it, all of it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 19, 2014 01:56

Didn't like or understand this tune when I first heard it as a young kid but after a few years of living I've come to both like and understand it. The music and the words are a perfect combination to tell this story in a way that you can really feel.

Not my favorite track on Goats Head Soup, sittin' between 100 Years Ago, and Heartbreaker it didn't stand a chance. Maybe if Billy Preston played on it it could stood up to those two killer tracks. winking smiley

peace

Posted by: nankered ()
Date: December 19, 2014 04:08

imho gsd was the last great RS lp
it all started to fade after that
this song....is a perfect gem
if you ever have "come down" yourself in any way from a romance,a hard night out ,drugs,opiates whatever
well this tune is your friend

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 19, 2014 04:27

Loved this one on first listen. Beautiful track musically, coupled with Keith's best vocal effort, easily. Not to mention, what I consider great lyrics! I never tire of this one.

Date: December 19, 2014 10:55

LeonidP
Loved this one on first listen. Beautiful track musically, coupled with Keith's best vocal effort, easily. Not to mention, what I consider great lyrics! I never tire of this one.

I'll have to second that. Lovely vocals indeed!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 19, 2014 12:11

Such an amazing dreamy track. Coming Down Again, Winter and Can You Hear The Music elevate Goat's Head Soup to another level. Mystical, magical and quite unlike yer typical Stones song.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 19, 2014 15:51

Naturalust
Maybe if Billy Preston played on it it could stood up to those two killer tracks. winking smiley

Not a chance!

The first time I heard Coming Down Again, I thought it sounded washed out and boring. I've grown to like its dreary atmosphere and sound, but it's not fantastic.

Date: December 19, 2014 16:13

Naturalust
Didn't like or understand this tune when I first heard it as a young kid but after a few years of living I've come to both like and understand it. The music and the words are a perfect combination to tell this story in a way that you can really feel.

Not my favorite track on Goats Head Soup, sittin' between 100 Years Ago, and Heartbreaker it didn't stand a chance. Maybe if Billy Preston played on it it could stood up to those two killer tracks. winking smiley

peace

This has to be a tongue in cheek-remark smiling smiley

How could Nicky's piano have been surpassed?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 19, 2014 16:35

buttons67
goats head soup is a very good album, great sound and atmosphere to it and a nice contrast with the previous album, but coming down again is a bit weak, it has a nice feel to it but for me dosent really cut it as a solid stones effort. potentially it could have been so much better.

My perspective is quite the contrary: If GOATS HEAD SOUP had held the level of "Coming Down Again", the socalled "big 4" would have been considered "the big 5" without discussion. So huge is "Coming Down Again". To me the song is a signature song for the album and its lethargic and very nice feeling. An album, however, that at its best (the album's best, that is) cannot live up to the song and then also falls somewhat apart midway through. Remaining a good and even more a special album, of course, capturing that moment's feel.

[To me personally, though, there are not only four, but approximately 12 great Stones studio albums, GOATS HEAD SOUP not among them, even if this is not the thread for that stuff.]

Date: December 19, 2014 16:40

For me GHS has always been one of a handful of Stones LPs that can be listened to straight through and it stands out as a great LP on its own merit. Somehow the sound of the LP is perfectly pictured on the LP cover.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 19:53

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

Billy Preston playing piano in a ballad and doing it better than Nicky? Funny... This is a very sensitive tune, it matches perfectly with Hopkins' piano. Preston didn't have the melodic approach for this kind of songs, he was more gospel-like. You talk about Heartbreaker and HYA... on both Billy played Clavinet. Do you really think a Hammond Organ or a funky Clavinet will fit in a ballad, having Hopkins on the piano?

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: December 19, 2014 21:25

dandelion1967
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

peace

Billy Preston playing piano in a ballad and doing it better than Nicky? Funny... This is a very sensitive tune, it matches perfectly with Hopkins' piano. Preston didn't have the melodic approach for this kind of songs, he was more gospel-like. You talk about Heartbreaker and HYA... on both Billy played Clavinet. Do you really think a Hammond Organ or a funky Clavinet will fit in a ballad, having Hopkins on the piano?

Hey, I love Nicky's playing here, it's fantastic and really makes this song work. But I think Billy could have done sensitive and dreamy if he wanted and if wah wah guitars are working I can see a Clavinet possibly working too. Yes the Clav is awesome for funky stuff and what we've most hear from it but I wouldn't underestimate what Billy could do to ANY tune.

But basically I was just pointing out that this track sits between two of my all time favorite Stones tracks which both featured Billy predominantly. Seems like as I get older and mellower, tracks like CDA have more appeal but back then if it didn't rock or groove hard I was much less interested.

peace

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 19, 2014 22:20

Coming Down Again is all part of this raggedy, uneven album that seems to be the real aftermath of the lives they'd been living. I always think of Brian and Anita when I hear this, and Keith's deepening heroin addiction. It would be interesting to know what Keith had to say about the song, since it seems so obvious.

One Hundred Years Ago Today, Angie, and the feel of Winter have a wistfulness to them after the assault of Beggars, Let It Bleed, Ya Yas, Sticky Fingers and Exile had lifted them to international Superstardom. When I first heard GHS I thought they were on the verge of giving up.

I'm not wild about some of the things on GHS, but this cut has only gotten better with time.

Date: December 19, 2014 22:32

24FPS
It would be interesting to know what Keith had to say about the song, since it seems so obvious.

Coming Down Again is my song.
- Keith Richards, 1973

I wonder about the songs I've written: I really like the ones I did when I was on (heroin). I wouldn't have written Coming Down Again without that. I'm this millionaire rock star, but I'm in the gutter with these other sniveling people. It kept me in touch with the street, at the lowest level.
- Keith Richards, 2002

Of Coming Down Again, I said not long ago that I wouldn't have written it without heroin. I don't know if it was ABOUT dope. It was just a mournful song - and you look for that melancholy in yourself. I'm obviously looking for great grooves, great riffs, rock and roll, but there's the other side of the coin that still wants to go where As Tears Go By came from. And by then I'd worked a lot in the country field, especially with Gram Parsons, and that high-lonesome melancholy has a certain pull on the heartstrings. You want to see if you can tug 'em a little harder. Some people think Coming Down Again is about me stealing Anita, but by then that's all water under the @#$%& bridge.
- Keith Richards, Life (2010)

On a slower side, I like to use a little bit of phase or put it through a Leslie (speaker) to make the rhythm guitar more interesting. Coming Down Again was a mixture of a Leslie and wah-wah.
- Keith Richards, 1977

quotes taken from the timeisonourside website, with thanks.

peace

Date: December 19, 2014 22:41

Naturalust
24FPS
It would be interesting to know what Keith had to say about the song, since it seems so obvious.

Some people think Coming Down Again is about me stealing Anita, but by then that's all water under the @#$%& bridge.

Yes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't consciously/subconsciously reaching back to the Brian/Anita history for inspiration. Notice he doesn't say what the song was about then, if it wasn't that triangle.

Date: December 19, 2014 23:01

24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS

Some people think Coming Down Again is about me stealing Anita, but by then that's all water under the @#$%& bridge.

Yes, but that doesn't mean he wasn't consciously/subconsciously reaching back to the Brian/Anita history for inspiration. Notice he doesn't say what the song was about then, if it wasn't that triangle.

Well song interpretation is certainly in the ear of the beholder but I don't think Keith could have been any more clear about the Anita connection. It had been what, 5 years since the Brian ordeal?

But 24FPS, you must be a romantic at heart. thumbs up

peace

Date: December 20, 2014 00:19

Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS

Well song interpretation is certainly in the ear of the beholder but I don't think Keith could have been any more clear about the Anita connection. It had been what, 5 years since the Brian ordeal?

peace

Hopefully this won't be too off topic, but heroin abusers often go into emotional cocoons. Maybe the emotional stuff from the late 60s finally caught up to him in a period of reflection. The period from Brian's death, until Goats Head Soup was full of tours and records, and even a film, Gimme Shelter. Maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe Keith was slipping his tongue in some other woman's pie by then, and cuckolding another male friend.

Date: December 20, 2014 00:24

24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS

peace

Hopefully this won't be too off topic, but heroin abusers often go into emotional cocoons. Maybe the emotional stuff from the late 60s finally caught up to him in a period of reflection. The period from Brian's death, until Goats Head Soup was full of tours and records, and even a film, Gimme Shelter. Maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe Keith was slipping his tongue in some other woman's pie by then, and cuckolding another male friend.

Lol. Yeah that emotional stagnation is pretty well documented. Not just heroin but with all mind altering substances. Maybe we'll start getting Keith's 1966 emotions soon.......

peace

Date: December 20, 2014 18:41

24FPS
Naturalust
24FPS

So he was unconsciously doing it!

Date: December 20, 2014 20:02

So whose pie was it, then?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 20, 2014 21:37

DandelionPowderman
So whose pie was it, then?

Someone else's, Dande dear

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 21, 2014 09:54

liddas
Every time this song is discussed, I am surprised to see how many people love it. On my book this is by far Keith's most insipid track on a stones release. I know that at the time Keith was not in his best shape, from this viewpoint the song is sincere. Probably its the story that doesn't interest me. Probably it is one of the very few Stones songs that have no good vibes at all. Keith's written tons of sad songs, but this is the only one that fits the definition of "depressing".

C

Keith's most insipid track?!! OMG what about Losing my touch or Infamy?!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 21, 2014 10:35

I always have had mixed emotions about this track. It is a beautiful, touching track, played and sang by such a genuine and sincere way. But at the same time is a bit too long, almost boring in places. It most definitevely suits to the feel of GOATS HEAD SOUP, and is actually one of the key pieces in giving an album such a melancholic 'hangover' feel after the crazy party of EXILE. Still I think its almost six minutes is one reason why GOATS HEAD SOUP never turned out to be a masterpiece like its four predecessors. After a weak beginning with childish "Mr. D", and promising and melodic "100 Years Ago", the tune just puts the whole feel of the album so moody and reflective and 'nothing is really happening', that whatever comes after it, will not change it - no matter how great tunes, say, "Heartbreaker" and "Angie" are. I admire the artistic statement they do with it, but I am not sure if it really is a success in the long run. It makes listening the album a bit tough case, and I have many times just skipped the song (In later years, they would have ended teh album with a Keith ballad, which I think might've been a good decision for GOATS HEAD SOUP as well). It surely is not among my favourite Keith tracks, nor even GOATS HEAD SOUP tracks. I'd love to like the song better than I do, since there is so much good things going on, but sorry I can't... Mixed feelings, indeed.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-21 10:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 10:57

Doxa
Keef trying to get terms with the late Brian about Anita?

One of those songs open to fascinating interpretations.

- Doxa

i actually think this is precisely the correct interpretation. i think i heard this song before i heard about brian/anita/keith and as soon as i heard that story i thought "oh, that song makes sense now".

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home