Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
An accustic opener - would it work?
Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:26

Think it's never been done before (or has it?). What abt for the next tour opening with a slow one instead of the usual running out on stage working up the crowd by hammering out Start Me Up or Jumping Jack?

Something like this:

The arena and stage in total darkness. Band being intruduced and just some minimalistic white spots following the band members walking out and taking their stances on a small, maybe round stage in front of the main stage. Starting with Sweet Virgina (the Excile theme taken care of) or maybe some other song that could do the trick. A small set of maybe 2-3 unplugged songs followed by YCAGWYW in a version closer to the accustic original, why not even with a local choir suddenly being lit up in the background on the main stage singing the intro. Then off to the main stage for Midnight Rambler. From thereon; blues and rock'n roll all the way (some more Excile songs included ), before ending it in a crescendo with the encore being Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, whatever...

Would they do it? Hardly. Could it have worked? Believe so. At least it would have been something new and different. What do you think?

Re: An accustic opener - would it work?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:29

No, but in the same way that the Who now close with Tea and Theatre, I could see the Stones closing with No Expectations.

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:33

tatters
No, but in the same way that the Who now close with Tea and Theatre, I could see the Stones closing with No Expectations.

They'd never do it...they'd have to close with a warhorse, wouldn't they?

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:34

tatters

If they do, I give you my entire Stones collection, pinky promise.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:47

I like the idea- I've always thought they should do a two set show- and maybe this would give them a chance to come out and do an acoustic set to warm everyone up, take a break and then come back electric and rocking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-17 22:17 by chelskeith.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:54

Pleeeeezeeeeeeeeeee

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2009 16:56

the imaginations of fans far exceed that of the band

Date: June 12, 2009 17:07

StonesTod

This is true, but usually the case for any band...

Date: June 12, 2009 17:09

StonesFanatic
StonesTod

it's truer for the stones and their fans

Date: June 12, 2009 17:11

StonesTod
StonesFanatic
StonesTod

it's truer for the stones and their fans

Heh...I would say The Who as well...but yeah the Stones are tops in this department...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 12, 2009 17:54

tomzen
Think it's never been done before (or has it?)

Opening with an accoustic song? Well, they did open once with Prodigal Son with only Mick & Keith, didn't they?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 12, 2009 18:45

"An even better opener Lisa Fisher nude twat"
Well it made the back-cover of a famous CD boot but I won't tell you which, young turd... I mean Sven!

Posted by: frankie ()
Date: June 12, 2009 19:00

They did open acoustic in paradiso amsterdam, not fade away and it was way cool.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 13, 2009 00:09

In 79 they opened with Prodigal Son at the Benifit for the Blind Concert. Something like that would be cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-13 00:13 by ryanpow.

Date: June 13, 2009 00:12

ryanpow
I think it would cool but I doubt they'd do it.

Didn't they open with an acustic "Prodigal Son" in 79 for the Benifit for the Blind Concert?

yeah, but mick was so drunk he prolly didn't realize the rest of the lads weren't there behind him....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 13, 2009 00:14

Now that Would entertaining! Mick Liqured Up for every show.

Date: June 13, 2009 00:17

while mick's in rehab, ronnie's out running 10 miles a day and lifting weights and people are eating corn on the cob vertically....

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: June 13, 2009 00:27

tomzen
Think it's never been done before (or has it?). What abt for the next tour opening with a slow one instead of the usual running out on stage working up the crowd by hammering out Start Me Up or Jumping Jack?

Something like this:

The arena and stage in total darkness. Band being intruduced and just some minimalistic white spots following the band members walking out and taking their stances on a small, maybe round stage in front of the main stage. Starting with Sweet Virgina (the Excile theme taken care of) or maybe some other song that could do the trick. A small set of maybe 2-3 unplugged songs followed by YCAGWYW in a version closer to the accustic original, why not even with a local choir suddenly being lit up in the background on the main stage singing the intro. Then off to the main stage for Midnight Rambler. From thereon; blues and rock'n roll all the way (some more Excile songs included ), before ending it in a crescendo with the encore being Brown Sugar, Satisfaction, whatever...

Would they do it? Hardly. Could it have worked? Believe so. At least it would have been something new and different. What do you think?

I think that "Sweet Virginia" or "Torn and frayed" would be great as an opener!
It would be great to see Jagger, Richards and Wood walk on stage with an accoustic guitar each and the the rest of the band joining in!

Great idea!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 13, 2009 01:59

StonesFanatic
tatters

They'd never do it...they'd have to close with a warhorse, wouldn't they?

I didn't say they would do it. I said they could do it. They never will open or close with an acoustic number because that's just not in keeping with their razzmatazz show biz style. I once DID see Mick Taylor close with No Expectations, but it was fast, rocked up, and electric. I think he may have done it because he was pissed off at the audience and wanted us to know that he would not be passing through there again.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: June 13, 2009 02:01

Street Fighting Man like on Stripped could work well.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 13, 2009 03:43

You mean like what CSN&Y use to do?

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 13, 2009 16:19

I certainly think it could.

SFM for starters although I feel you mean a ballad.

"Angie" or "Wild horses" would bring the house down in the right setting ie not a anything but a stadium.

YCAGWYW stripped and acoustic would work anywhere.

If they wanted to do something really out there throw Keith to the mic and do "The worst". Of course it's a bad idea but it's still athought....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 13, 2009 16:31

Keith did HIS part for the BLIND BENEFIT concert opener(Prodigal Son) but Jagger screwed up the lyrics about as bad as I've ever heard him-like he couldnt remember but a couple of lines or so!

Posted by: squando ()
Date: June 13, 2009 17:32

"Podical son"?

Wouldn't it have been SOTE?

Anyways I don't hear that being a good opener and Mick is notorious for cocking up his own words. Funny when you think of his remarks regarding remembering lyrics in 25x5.

I think an acoustic version of "Waiting on a friend" would be a great opener - even if the Stones don't consider it a little cracker given it's being overlooked re 40 Licks.

Posted by: J Blues ()
Date: June 14, 2009 00:23

I saw Pearl Jam once opening the show with a great acoustic version of long road and closing it with an acoustic version of yellow ledbetter. total mayhem in between. LOVED IT

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 14, 2009 06:40

They have used SFM quite a few times as an opener but of course it wasnt completely acoustic!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 14, 2009 10:41

Acoustic show in a small venue ? Why not .
But I think an acoustic opener will kill the excitement of the intro.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 14, 2009 15:40

That`s true: it kills the excitement. That`s the reason why Not Fade Away never really worked for me. Nice idea, nice opening but too controlled. People want to freak out and explode after waiting so long. Songs like SMU or JJF are perfect opener.
I loved UMT in 81/82. It has a similar mood to NOT FADE AWAY but it worked better cause many shows were daylight-shows.The people were sitting and waiting in the sunshine and in the mood to start with a slower midtempo. Just perfect.

By the way: Was PS at th CNIB concert an opening or more kind of a break? I thought that the rest of the Barbarians left the stage and than Mick came onstage to sing with Keith?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 14, 2009 16:27

Wood and Richards played acoustic with Bob Dylan - it was a great succes >grinning smiley<

Posted by: tomzen ()
Date: June 15, 2009 11:58

chelskeith
I like the idea- I've always thought they should do a two set show- and maybe this would give them a chance to come out and do an acoustic set to warm everyone up, take a break and then come back electric and rocking.

I've thought about this scenario as a older music set to open -maybe 60's, followed by 70's and up, or only new music to start and then the warhorse set.

During the break they could turn the lights on and let everyone get a brew, smoke, potty and then they could play a 15 min video showing their history in a different light - kind of like the backstory video's during shine a light- then it shows them backstage in a way that makes it like a surprise that the camera's on - somewhat like the backstage footage from the Hampton Roads show - then it follows them through the tunnel on to the stage, like the no security video.

I think the main thing is they need to enlist some creative choreography from someone besides just Mick and the boys signing off on his idea- he needs to be involved - but bring in some one who can bring in some new, creative ideas and not someone who Keith will get pissed at Mick over, and I'm sure they'll still need Michael Cohl as he may be the only one who can make a big tour happen - but like they did with Chuck a while back, he should be minimized.

I also thought someone was spot on when they related the more recent on stage covers to overblown horn songs- they gotta strip some of these songs down. I know everyone is saying Keith cant play anymore etc- I gotta tell you- I'm sure he makes mistakes, as does Ronie, Mick etc but I also watched these guys rehearse for a whole night before the last tour, I was inside that school in Toronto and they flat nailed songs on 1-2 takes, songs like Moonlight Mile that they havent played or rehearsed much at all since they were recorded - these guys can still play- and one of the things that made them who they are is repetition being used during the recording process- play it over and over until they get it right, and thats why I was able to hear these songs 20-30 years later being played so close to the original version. They'd play the CD and listen, then play along 1x and then they'd play the song and it was friggin amazing to hear how good some of these songs sounded. I wrote a blog on my Silvertrain.com site after I spent the night there, so I dont recall all the songs now, but they can still play- and yes I know that was a few years ago and some things have happened since then, but Keith is off his meds from that accident by now and he can play, trust me. The next tour will be the first time a major rock band approaching their 70s has gone out on a large tour, and given all the ground these guys have already broken, I'm confident they'll pull it off again.

John

Just some thoughts after watching tours since 75.

John

Like your ideas, John.

To start with a 60'ies set and then into the 70'ies could be interesting. The stage should be lit in colours or with the background reflecting the time or the album of the songs being played. For example like a club or ballroom stage from the old days during the sixties set, same yellow colours as on the album when playing a song from GHS - maybe even with a short flash of the head in the soup thrown in there. Should be done in a subtle way not to draw the attention away from the performance.

Must admit that on some Stones concerts in the past I have become a little numb and apatic coming towards the end of the show after having watched Jagger running around in the same modus operandi for a couple of hours. Think they could improve on the choreography by builing up attention and have some 'mood shifts' during the show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home