Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Trcak Talk: Come On
Posted by: René ()
Date: June 8, 2009 09:22

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Come On
(Chuck Berry)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 10, 1963

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass, backing vocals
Brian Jones - harmonica, backing vocals

Everything is wrong since me and my baby parted
All day long I'm walkin' 'cause I couldn't get my car started
Laid off from my job and I can't afford to check it
I wish somebody'd come along and run into it and wreck it
Come on, since me and my baby parted
Come on, I can't get started
Come on, I can't afford to check it
I wish somebody'd come along and run into it and wreck it

Everything is wrong since I've been without you
Ev'ry night I lay awake thinkin' about you
Ev'ry time the phone rings it sounds like thunder
Some stupid guy try'n' to reach another number
Come on, since I've been without you
Come on, always thinkin' about you
Come on, phone sounds like thunder
Some stupid guy try'n' to reach another number

Everything is wrong since I last saw you, baby
I really wanna see you, well, I don't mean maybe
I'm doin' ev'rything try'n' to make you see
That I belong to you, hon, and you belong to me
Come on, I wanna see you, baby
Come on, I don't mean maybe
Come on, I'm try'n' to make you see
That I belong to you and you belong to me

Come on, I gotta see you, baby
Come on, I don't mean maybe
Come on, I've gotta make you see
That I belong to you and you belong to me

Come on, come on, come on, come on

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham & Roger Savage

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Come On / I Want To Be Loved” 7” single
(Decca F 11675) UK, June 7, 1963

Re: Trcak Talk: Come On
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 8, 2009 10:16

I never found this song as bad a starter for a new groupin the early 60s as it is always described. Though it is no classic I always enjoyed listening to it, really.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 7, 2017 07:08

Released 54 years ago today in UK.

Record Mirror, June 8, 1963
(thanks, His Majesty)

Come On (live on June 6, 2013, Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Canada)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2017 07:51

Didn't hear it until they release More Hot Rocks in early 70s. Found it clunky and odd then, and that's never really changed. It doesn't do much to advance the sound of the Stones. I don't think it would have done anything in the States.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: June 7, 2017 09:53

Okay, nice R&B track, although a little childish. At least better than the demos for other other artists 1963-65, and not worse than many early album tracks. Underrated. Try the "live version" from Toronto '13 (some seconds only).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 09:56 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: June 7, 2017 10:03

I've always liked it. But that beat isn't really the Stones.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 7, 2017 10:59

saltoftheearth
I never found this song as bad a starter for a new groupin the early 60s as it is always described. Though it is no classic I always enjoyed listening to it, really.

Completely agree. I always read that the Stones were not happy with it, but I like it.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 7, 2017 16:26

I only first heard it when I purchased the Singles Collection: The London Years box in 1989 and have LOVED IT ever since!
cool smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 7, 2017 16:32

I think Chuck's version has a bit more bite to it, what with "Some stupid jerk", as opposed to "Some stupid guy" by the Stones.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 7, 2017 16:32

Real Good One! My first Stones-single bought 1964....

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: June 7, 2017 16:34

matxil
saltoftheearth

Completely agree. I always read that the Stones were not happy with it, but I like it.

From Keith, in Life: "I didn't think it was the best thing we could have done, but I did know it was something that would make a mark. As a recording it's probably better than I thought it was at the time. But I have a feeling we thought that was the only shot we had in our locker then. It was not something that we'd ever played inj the clubs. It was nothing to do with what we were doing. At the time there was a purist strain running through the band, which I obviously was not on top of".

As for Mick:

Sir Mick Jagger 'over the moon' to hear debut single on the radio 50 years after its release

"I was told by Decca that the record would be played that weekend by Brian Matthew on the big Saturday morning BBC show called Saturday Club, I was very doubtful if this was such a cert as Decca records had let us down so many times.

"But come the day I was glued to the radio at ten o'clock and there it was.

"First 45 played was ours - 'Come On'."

Sir Mick, who turns 70 next month, added: "We were, how's it go, over the moon."

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:24

Love it!
Why not as an opener on the "No Filter Tour" in Europe or as a Chuck Berry tribute?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-07 17:25 by 1962.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:30

A slap happy tune in a novelty kind of way, I always liked it and brings back memories of listening to More Hot Rocks.
But it's always had an overall outdated poppy vibe since I first heard it, and needless to say Chuck's version is better - even though it's nowhere near one of his best.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 7, 2017 17:31

I always liked it, it may not be the best introduction to what the Stones would become, but it's just a fun one-off song

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 7, 2017 18:17

not my cup of tea ... Mick lacks emotion singing on this one, I think Not Fade Away worked as a better indication of what was to come!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 7, 2017 18:33

A speedy track from the Album Hot Rocksthumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 7, 2017 22:51

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 7, 2017 23:01

The only "Chuck" song that they really bombed in my opinion...it has none of that tuff Berry sound. I can see how Andrew was probably trying to force them to make a "pop" sounding recording tho. In David Dalton's book ( I think it is from there) I remember reading how they hated it so badly it become necessary to force them to play it or they would intentionally leave it out of their set..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2017 02:00

Lurv it .... always have.... early primitive garage rock ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 8, 2017 11:46

Having added up the times I’ve listened to the Stones version (at least a hundred times in the last 35 years) and compared it to the times I’ve listened to Chuck’s version (once, just yesterday in fact) it occurs to me that I’m a moron and possibly a racist. (The math doesn’t lie. I encourage the rest of you to do your own reckoning.)

Of course this only means that from now on I’ll listen to the Stones as much if not more than ever...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2017 11:53

^^^^^^.....Only ahundred !!!!!!..... Come on boy step up the pace .... if ya dig it spin it heaps more

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 8, 2017 13:25

Always enjoyed this. One of my abiding teenage memories is of cycling the three miles to school on my clapped out and unreliable bike, usually late and in a tearing hurry, with Come On running non-stop on my mental stereo (no mobile devices in 1963) in time with the pedals:

I WISH someone would COME along and RUN into it and WRECK it...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 8, 2017 21:31

Swayed1967
Having added up the times I’ve listened to the Stones version (at least a hundred times in the last 35 years) and compared it to the times I’ve listened to Chuck’s version (once, just yesterday in fact) it occurs to me that I’m a moron and possibly a racist. (The math doesn’t lie. I encourage the rest of you to do your own reckoning.)

Of course this only means that from now on I’ll listen to the Stones as much if not more than ever...

Chuck's original version blows away the Stones version on this one! Stones do a much better job on songs like Around & Around (yes, better than Chuck, especially Love You Live version) and Bye Bye Johnny.

Date: June 9, 2017 13:15

Hairball
A slap happy tune in a novelty kind of way, I always liked it and brings back memories of listening to More Hot Rocks.
But it's always had an overall outdated poppy vibe since I first heard it, and needless to say Chuck's version is better - even though it's nowhere near one of his best.

Do people find Chuck's version better? I always thought his version was a bit lame, especially the chorus.

At least, the Stones's take has some drive to it.

Date: June 9, 2017 13:25

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Do people find Chuck's version better? I always thought his version was a bit lame, especially the chorus.

I certainly do, even with Chuck's breakup guitar solo. grinning smiley

But I also like the Stones version, although I think I Wanna Be Your Man (talking only about their singles released in 1963) is far better.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: June 9, 2017 16:26

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I certainly do, even with Chuck's breakup guitar solo. grinning smiley

But I also like the Stones version, although I think I Wanna Be Your Man (talking only about their singles released in 1963) is far better.

Nothing the Stones did in 1963 is better than what my high school band did in 1983. Their take of 'Come On' is juvenile and amateurish, that's just a fact. Now if they had taken a stab at 'Come On' in 69 I'm sure they would've owned it.

Date: June 9, 2017 17:26

That's kinda what I think. The Stones usually cut Chuck with his own material ( I don't know if anyone ever did this to the Stones consistently but Johnny Winter comes pretty close with JJF, Stray Cat, Let It Bleed..etc) so that is why hearing "Come On" like I did way after hearing all the other Berry tracks up until "Let It Rock" b side, it was so disappointing to me but I can understand they were being pushed to make a very commercial pop sounding record.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 9, 2017 22:27

The Rolling Stones - Come On (Short Clip) Toronto 06/06/20 Air Canada Centre
[www.youtube.com] smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 9, 2017 23:59

Come On - The Rolling Stones (HQ) 1963
[www.youtube.com]

some cool old pub shots from this uploader.
heck i like it; i mean it's too easy to just put it down, i get that.
it's a guilty pleasure i guess; not too hip to dig this one but damn i sorta really get a kick out of it. very not cool i know....harmless at worst; a lot of fun and a little kick fo sho. When first hearing it even as a kid I thought it was thin too needlessly fast and all that; but hell I liked it; ain't that weird? I don't over-rate it or romanticize it or anything but i like it. yes i do. ssshhhhh eye rolling smiley

smoking smiley

Come On - Chuck Berry -- (with Johnnie Johnson on piano; Martha Berry on harmony vokes)
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-10 05:22 by hopkins.

Date: June 10, 2017 21:38

My first listen to it probably wasn't fair since it was the 70s and I had the benefit of hearing all the great other chuck covers by the band first. The biggest surprise to me was the small supporting part played by the guitar instead of being guitar driven like the others..

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home